Why should I not get the Pioneer indash screen?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008 | 09:27 PM
Racer

Why should I not get the Pioneer indash screen?

I really really miss having my DVD player and Ipod hook up with a good interface. What would be the concerns if I was to get the Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD? I want to make sure this is the right decision before I make the leap
Old 09-30-2008 | 09:37 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

i don't really think it will flow with the interior.

question: is there anyway to MOD the navigation so you have similar interfaces?
Old 10-01-2008 | 04:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tyzing
I really really miss having my DVD player and Ipod hook up with a good interface. What would be the concerns if I was to get the Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD? I want to make sure this is the right decision before I make the leap

Where would it fit on the dash?
Old 10-01-2008 | 09:36 PM
Racer

apparently you replace the middle section...at least thats what crutchfield said
Old 10-04-2008 | 01:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

There's no way that Pioneer unit is going to fit into the dash in replacement of the OEM radio. The dash opening is not a DIN size (width); its much narrower. The width of the OEM radio is just barely larger than the width of a DVD disc. Compare that to the Pioneer one you are considering and you can see its too wide without even having the measurements.
Old 10-04-2008 | 03:34 PM
05 slate grey e500 AMG sp

You would ;ose your noise cancellation & probably factory bluetooth & voice control functionality. Most Bose systems the seakers are a strange impedance and are not great with other amps.
Old 10-05-2008 | 04:01 PM
Racer

Sorry to be a noob but noise cancellation??

I have that?
Old 10-05-2008 | 06:54 PM
Safety Car

Yes, you have active noise cancellation.

Here is the description on my car, which is a 2006. All cars have it. The 2009 is more aggressive in its use of ANC

ACTIVE NOISE CANCELLATION (ANC)The 2006 RL features Active Noise Cancellation (ANC), which is designed to dramatically reduce low frequency exhaust booming noise in the interior. The system operates whenever the car is running, regardless of whether the Acura/Bose audio system is on or off.There are two microphones in the headliner, one just behind the front overhead console, and another just ahead of the overhead rear light module. The microphones capture low-end drivetrain frequencies entering the cabin, and send a signal to the Active Noise Cancellation unit. The control unit then creates a precisely timed reverse phase audio signal that is sent to an amplifier, which powers the door speakers and the subwoofer positioned on the rear deck.Since the system is designed to cancel low-frequency sound, it doesn't use any of the audio system's tweeters. The ANC dramatically reduces the booming sound of the exhaust, front and rear. In the frequency range below 100 hertz, ANC results in an impressive 10 dB reduction in noise level.
Old 10-05-2008 | 06:57 PM
Racer

That's great info...was 06 the first year or does the 05 have it as well?
Old 10-05-2008 | 07:00 PM
Racer

http://reviews.cnet.com/sedan/2005-a...-31351116.html

In the invisible tech department, Acura's active noise-cancellation system is particularly intriguing. The RL samples road noise via two headliner-mounted microphones, then uses the sound system to cancel the same frequencies. This system works the same way noise-canceling headphones do, and Acura says that the system allowed it to the cut back on the amount of heavy, bulky sound deadening material the company had to stuff into the doors and the body panels of the RL.
Old 10-05-2008 | 07:27 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Tyzing
That's great info...was 06 the first year or does the 05 have it as well?
It is in the 05 forward. The 09 has a more sophisticated version. Here is the description of the 09 system now called Active Sound Control

ACTIVE SOUND CONTROL The 2009 RL receives a new Active Sound Control system that is much advanced over the previous Active Noise Cancellation™ (ANC) system. Whereas ANC dealt specifically with the elimination of low decibel noise entering the cockpit, the new Active Sound Control system has a much broader range including the elimination of unwanted high frequency noise. In addition, Active Sound Control is linked to throttle position and engine rpm to provide a more quiet cockpit during normal cruising while allowing the 3.7L's muscular sound to be heard more during higher rpm, higher speed driving. Sporting a new array of processing technology and sensors, the Active Sound Control system not only dramatically improves sound cancellation but also works throughout the entire engine rpm range whereas the previous ANC system only worked to cancel engine booming noise up to 2000 rpm. Moreover, Active Sound Control is specially tuned for various levels of "effect" generated at different throttle positions: during low rpm, Active Sound Control delivers a quiet cabin; during mid-rpm throttle, some of the throaty exhaust note is allowed to enter the cabin; and during high rpm the Active Sound Control system is tuned to allow a more crisp exhaust note to enter the cabin. The Active Sound Control system operates whenever the car is running, regardless of whether the Acura/Bose® audio system is on or off. There are two microphones mounted in the headliner- one just behind the front overhead console and another just ahead of the overhead rear light module. The microphones capture low-end drivetrain frequencies entering the cabin, and send a signal to the Active Sound Control unit. The Active Sound Control unit then creates a precisely timed reverse phase audio signal that is sent to an amplifier, which powers the door speakers and the subwoofer positioned on the rear deck. The Active Sound Control dramatically reduces the booming sound of the exhaust, front and rear. In the frequency range below 100 hertz, Active Sound Control results in an impressive 10 dB reduction in noise level. Moreover, the new Active Sound Control system dramatically reduces high frequency and middle-frequency noise attenuation during normal cruising. In addition, road noise attenuation is also improved over both smooth and rough roads.
Old 10-06-2008 | 12:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

The issue is not about loosing the noise cancellation. That system is located downstream from the head unit. IF you replaced the headunit you'd still have active cancellation so long as the factory Bose Amp (located by the right rear wheel well behind the greay panel) continued to be used.

The threshold question, which the OP asked, was why he shouldnt swap in the Pioneer player, and the simple answer is because it wont fit. In fact, due to the very odd size of the factory head, there is no aftermarket head that will work.