A whole lot of electrical problems 05 Acura RL

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 01:43 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A whole lot of electrical problems 05 Acura RL

Hello
I have a 2005 Acura RL and suddenly a string of electrical problems - It started with my clock in the dash going on and off, not a big deal. Then my left front headlight would sometimes not come on - I even got pulled over for having a headlight out but the next day it worked just fine (and has ever since). Then my navigation system started acting funny. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes when I start the car, it will work just fine, other times it doesn't come on at all and with winter coming I have no way of controlling my heater if the navigation screen isn't coming on. Then, I started hearing engine noises - a weird buzzing - through my radio speaker. Also a few months ago, I replaced the batteries in my key fob and ever since, I am not able to lock or unlock any of the doors with the key fob. I always have to take the key out and unlock manually or use the lock door button inside my car to lock them all. Sometimes, I am able to walk up to the car and unlock just by touching the handle as long as I have the key fob but sometimes I can't. I have never been able to pair any cellphone with the Hands Free Link feature. I even called the dealership and he wasn't able to figure out why it wasn't pairing. Also, on my steering wheel, the climate control feature doesn't work. Finally, sometimes when my car is idling, all the sudden my door locks with start turning on and off for no reason as if someone was hitting the lock/unlock buttons on the door. Is any of this related? Also, I am a female and really don't know much about cars but the nearest Acura dealership is 2 1/2 hours away so if anyone has any tips I do have a few guy friends who could help. THANKS!
Old 09-30-2014, 02:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
First, we have to rule out the potential that your battery is dying. I know it seems unlikely or odd, but weak batteries in the RL account for well over 50% of documented electrical gremlins here. Don't bother getting the battery "tested". The battery can have everything it needs to start the car and "pass" the test, but that doesn't mean the on-board computers are getting what they need.

How old is the battery, and what is the brand? Unfortunately, there is no great way to test this failure mode unless you have access to a known good battery that you can connect to and see if your problems go away. If you have that, try it out. If not, you may have to bite the bullet on a new battery before proceeding.
The following users liked this post:
HEAVY_RL (10-01-2014)
Old 09-30-2014, 02:26 PM
I Drive Like A Dick 8≈

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts
Sounds like you need someone who really knows what they're doing to take a look at it. I'm going to guess that the BT module or the battery are the root of your issues but it could really be a number of things.

Honda dealers will work too if there is one closer.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:20 PM
2nd Gear

ok thanks, I'll let you know what I find out.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:09 PM
1st Gear

I have the same issues as she describes, what did you find out?