Wavy lines on navi screen???

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 04:35 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Wavy lines on navi screen???

Anybody else have these wavy lines on their screen? Can only really be seen in the day time with the white backround. At night on the black backround its not noticable. I searched but couldnt find anything, does anybody else have this problem and have you seeked a solution? Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:23 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Assuming there is not a problem with the screen itself, have you tried adjusting the screen CONTRAST and BRIGHTNESS in the SETUP menus?

I found it a bit of a hit and miss finding the optimum settings for the NAVI screen as it is not the highest resolution that we have become accustomed on other LCD devices. I would think the white screen color may call out the wavy lines? Have you tried the yellow or another light color?

Also, the screen is LCD. Try applying light pressure around the area of the wavy lines and see if they change with the displacement of the liquid crystal. That might help determine is the issue is with the screen hardware vs. resolution and settings.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:48 PM
Instructor

Thank you for the response.. yeah i tried messing with the settings in the setup in hopes that the contrast and the brightness would be able to rid of it but it seems like a nasty feedback problem of sorts. Its as if im watching an old tube tv from the 80's and shit after mom said not to play nintendo on it too long cause it ruins the TV... (yeah sure mom)

But that didnt help... im almost to the point of trying a new screen but them bishes aint cheap. Ughie.

Anybody else?
Old 06-02-2009, 11:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DXplicitOne
Thank you for the response.. yeah i tried messing with the settings in the setup in hopes that the contrast and the brightness would be able to rid of it but it seems like a nasty feedback problem of sorts. Its as if im watching an old tube tv from the 80's and shit after mom said not to play nintendo on it too long cause it ruins the TV... (yeah sure mom)

But that didnt help... im almost to the point of trying a new screen but them bishes aint cheap. Ughie.

Anybody else?

I happen to have a brand new screen. If you're interested PM me. (It was part of an entire NAV system pull I bought from an '07 RL that was wrecked before delivery to a customer. Short story - I was the first to convert a base RL to a Tech RL about two years ago. I got very lucky at the time and found an entire NAV pull listed on ebay from a salvage dealer. Its probably the only complete setup that's ever been listed. It came with every harness, module, radio, DVD unit and the screen. I only needed certain parts of the NAV to do the job and did not need or use the screen. It still has the factory protective film sticker on it)
Old 06-08-2009, 02:22 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody else have these wavy lines on their screen? Can only really be seen in the day time with the white backround. At night on the black backround its not noticable. I searched but couldnt find anything, does anybody else have this problem and have you seeked a solution? Thanks in advance for the help.
Since buying the RL, I've kept my cell phone on top of the dash over on the passenger side as far as it would go...on a sticky pad. Recently I moved the pad and phone closer to the center of the dash. The NAV now occasionally gets interference from the phone...at times, the screen will flutter, dim slightly and look exactly like an old TV set. Moving the phone removes the interference.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:40 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the info but the phone scneario just isnt what mine could be as i always put my phone on the drivers side arm rest on the door panel. I even went as far as removed the center channel speaker that rest right behind the LCD as i use to remember fukcing up tvs with magnets when i was younger, but that didnt make a difference either. Im stumped and pissed at the same time.
Anybody else? I dont think its the lcd itself...
Old 06-14-2009, 10:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,007 Likes on 1,426 Posts
the wavy lines, from what I have seen in the TL and in my MDX, is a part of the navi system. the screen refreshes at 15 hertz rather than the 60/75 you are used to on your pc's. This is what causes the lines...
Old 06-15-2009, 07:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Thanks for the info but the phone scneario just isnt what mine could be as i always put my phone on the drivers side arm rest on the door panel. I even went as far as removed the center channel speaker that rest right behind the LCD as i use to remember fukcing up tvs with magnets when i was younger, but that didnt make a difference either. Im stumped and pissed at the same time.
Anybody else? I dont think its the lcd itself...
The old CRT color TV's had electron guns that would get messed up by magnets. I had that problem on a Sony when I put small satellite speakers for my home theater system on top of the TV and got weird discoloration in the top corners of the TV....right under the two speakers. As csm

That is not an issue with LCD displays. As csmeance mentions above, it's just the refresh rate on the navi display. I see the wavy lines at times as well. I don't think there is anything wrong with your display.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:25 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Interesting.

It is one of those issues that unless you see it, it is difficult to diagnose.

I have never seen wavy lines in my NAVI screen.

I do notice the screen refresh in intervals (I'd guess about every 15 seconds?), especially when the NAVTRAFFIC is reporting updates. But never wavy lines.

I have seen the screen refresh in blocks, or segments, like puzzle pieces over 2-3 seconds on occaision. I assumed that was a combination of the satellite signal updating at the moment the screen was refreshing.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:45 AM
Cruisin'

Have polarized glasses or sun glasses? That can cause the lines you are talking about.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
NASA has not confirmed this, but I have inside information that extraterrestrial life forms are trying to contact you via “wavy lines” through the navigation system due to the fact that they have deem you a superior beings for owning an Acura RL.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:47 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by csmeance
the wavy lines, from what I have seen in the TL and in my MDX, is a part of the navi system. the screen refreshes at 15 hertz rather than the 60/75 you are used to on your pc's. This is what causes the lines...
So the conclusion is that the wavy lines are from a slow refresh rate? I just want to make sure before I make a 40 minute trip to the dealer. I just bought an 08' TL and didn't notice the wavy lines on the Navigation until I was home. I'll will have to try different scenarios to see when the lines show up and when they don't.
Old 05-02-2015, 04:58 PM
Drifting

Received 170 Likes on 150 Posts
I just installed an 07/08 navi screen in my 05 and it has those wavy lines too.. So that sure sucks. My 05 screen didn't do that. I thought maybe I didn't ground something properly but I see I am not the only person who has seen this.. It seems to disapate a little bit after it has been on for some minutes but its still there a bit more than I like. The lines appear to go back and forth if you turn the lights on the off which causes the screen to dim then go back to normal brightness. During that process I can see the lines reverse directions. Hopefully it will calibrate itself soon. I've only had my screen installed for a day.