Warning about XM RoadyXT Promo offer

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 08:10 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Warning about XM RoadyXT Promo offer

I went to activate my radio last week for the RL and they offered me a Delphi Roady XT for $5.99 and another $6.99 per month. My wife really likes the new XM in my RL so I decided to get it. I was well aware of the little "Roady XT" already because it's heavily advertised for FREE with a mail in rebate, however, $5.99 was worth the saved hassles.

PROBLEM: This radio does NOT have an FM transmitter built in. The lady failed to mention that! You need to step up to their next model which is slightly more expensive. Instead, they give you a wire with a clamp that must be clamped to your antenna outside the car, yuck!! To make it worse, my other car has a retractable electric antenna and this won't even work.

BIGGER PROBLEM: OK, no big deal. It was a mistake. I'll just need to return it. I called XM and they said, NO, you can't return it, this was a promotion. I said, PROMOTION, I paid $5.99 for a radio I could have gotten for free with a mail in rebate, some promotion. They said, sorry, you can return it but there's a cancellation fee of $100. WTF, nice way to treat a new customer.

BIGGEST PROBLEM: To make it even worse, the cancellation dept tried to start getting rough with me. They said if you don't pay we'll report it on your credit. LOL. I told them your not talking to an 18 year old kid. I'm 46 and have a few miles on my treads. Don't make stupid threats. They backed off but I still couldn't believe it. What kind of company is THIS???

In the end, I ultimately had to deny hearing any mention of terms and agreements making the product non-returnable. You know how they rattle off these terms and you have to agree by saying "YES". Mine were mumbled by some lady in India somewhere and I could barely hear her. It's a loosly binding "verbal" contract that can rarely hold up in court. No way to prove that you could hear what they were saying even if you said "yes". They said it was recorded and I said, fine, go listen to it and you'll see she didn't tell me the terms. At that point they just gave me my RMA#. Whole thing took over 1 hour.

VERY VERY bad experience that leaves you questioning the character of this company as a whole. I ended feeling like I was dealing with some two-bit shadowy company making scam offers over the phone.

Just hope this story helps someone.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I called XM CS last week with a question about my account and they offered me the same deal. I told them I didn't need another radio and/or subscription, but the CS kept telling me I could give it to my wife, children, relatives, or even a friend!!! I love to talk to those CSRs in India. I just wish they would learn American English.