Video DIY Aftermarket Sub and Amp in RL

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 07:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by oo7spy
Nevermind. I plugged everything in today to check the connections, and I could not see any significant current drop. I had the car idling, AC on, and low and high beams on with the system thumping. Lights didn't dim a bit. Therefore, I don't see a need for a cap and probably won't install one until I see symptoms of under supplying current.
My headlights dim when my sub hits, but nothing else. What wattage and/or amp are you running?
Can some one explain what this symptom sounds like to me? Intuitively, it doesn't make sense. If the aftermarket subs are getting the same signal as the stock sub, why would the mic think there is suddenly noise that needs to be canceled out? Is it that the aftermarkets rattle things so much more that the system is trying to compensate the new rattle? Is it the fact that the compensating signal is being supplied to both subs, and if the aftermarket is causing the noise in the first place, using it to cancel would only make it worse (i.e. positive feedback)?

Like I mentioned a second ago, I plugged everything in to test, and then I intentionally listened for this but couldn't hear it. What did you hear? I don't really need someone to tell me why more than how to know if it is happening. I did have the ANC turned on. Has anyone tried turning this off to fix it without unplugging the mic? Does it only happen when driving to cancel road noise?

Thanks for any input.

Getting real close to finalizing the system and blasting away... I definitely agree bass is addicting. Gotta get that Boom Boom!

When I first installed my system, I did so without unplugging the rear anc mic. Only when the subwoofer hit certain mhz did the anc mic try to compensate and make my subwoofer try and cancel the noise out. Unplugged the rear one and all was fine. But one day I was riding on the highway at about 70mph with the sunroof open and I'm guessing the front mic picked up the wind noise and my sub went crazy.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
Originally Posted by L's TL
My headlights dim when my sub hits, but nothing else. What wattage and/or amp are you running?
I am using a 1200 watt Profile CA1200. I bought it when I was 16 and am transferring everything (except the box) that I had in Legend #1. The boxes are custom. The reason I thought I would need the cap is the lights would dim in #1, but looking back, I think it was the age of the charging system and alternator not giving enough juice. It didn't do it when first installed, but after a few years, it got worse. Since I'm not seeing the signs, I will hold off on the cap for now.

To keep the lights from dimming, put 1F per 1000 watts of your amp, and that should give you all the current you need for those momentary hits.

Did you ever try turning the ANC off before unplugging?
Old 04-02-2011, 10:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 244 Likes on 139 Posts
i tried ANC and everything before removing the rear mic. rear mic is the only way to fix the burping sub. very simple to do took me 3 mins with the help of the GF with tiny hands.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:32 AM
im baaaack!!

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
Good write up! wiring diagram gonna help me a lot when i start my saround speakers. I tapped into the connection at the factory sub and installed a loc on the rear deck for my sub install. I also ran 4awg wire under the car ran it thru the side skirt and drilled under the car by the rear seat. I ran a JL 12" w6 in a vented enclosure with a 500/1 mono JL audio amp. Now im running a 15" L5 solobaric in a 5 cubic feet custom tuned vented enclosure with a Rockford fosgate power 1000/1 mono block amp. My plans are to replace all four door speakers with 6 1/2" whip audios, 8" slim whip audio in the factory sub location, 2 4" tweeters in the rear deck, a loudspeaker in the front bumper with a switch, a good 4 channel and a good 2 channel amp. My right door bose speaker already self distructed cause i was pumping it a little out of control the last to years. Good to see someone with patience enough to do a good write up keep up the good work!
Old 04-04-2011, 07:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts
I am using a 1200 watt Profile CA1200. I bought it when I was 16 and am transferring everything (except the box) that I had in Legend #1. The boxes are custom. The reason I thought I would need the cap is the lights would dim in #1, but looking back, I think it was the age of the charging system and alternator not giving enough juice. It didn't do it when first installed, but after a few years, it got worse. Since I'm not seeing the signs, I will hold off on the cap for now.

To keep the lights from dimming, put 1F per 1000 watts of your amp, and that should give you all the current you need for those momentary hits.

Did you ever try turning the ANC off before unplugging?
Nice I will have to get a 2F cap then. Thanks for your help. And I've never tried to turn the ANC before unplugging. Didnt know how. I'm going to just disable it altogether now, even though I have the rear unplugged.

Originally Posted by T-jay
Good write up! wiring diagram gonna help me a lot when i start my saround speakers. I tapped into the connection at the factory sub and installed a loc on the rear deck for my sub install. I also ran 4awg wire under the car ran it thru the side skirt and drilled under the car by the rear seat. I ran a JL 12" w6 in a vented enclosure with a 500/1 mono JL audio amp. Now im running a 15" L5 solobaric in a 5 cubic feet custom tuned vented enclosure with a Rockford fosgate power 1000/1 mono block amp. My plans are to replace all four door speakers with 6 1/2" whip audios, 8" slim whip audio in the factory sub location, 2 4" tweeters in the rear deck, a loudspeaker in the front bumper with a switch, a good 4 channel and a good 2 channel amp. My right door bose speaker already self distructed cause i was pumping it a little out of control the last to years. Good to see someone with patience enough to do a good write up keep up the good work!
Whoa must be a comp setup in the works. looking forward to see it
Old 05-15-2011, 01:49 PM
6MT G37

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Can someone hep me with this issue. My subs keep going off even with the volume all the way down and the radio off. Its annoying. I did a similar set up as you guys with the converter and all.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 244 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Ruserious
Can someone hep me with this issue. My subs keep going off even with the volume all the way down and the radio off. Its annoying. I did a similar set up as you guys with the converter and all.
you need to disable your rear ANC mic. its the mic in front of the rear passanger dome light. you drop down the rear dome light and go in about 3-4 inches there is a connector to disconnect and it will prevent the 50hz burb from the subs. or you can use this method

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-90/i-027-diy-anc-disable-aftermarket-sub-no-tools-814274/
Old 05-15-2011, 03:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
Or you can unplug the ANC block from the stock amp. It is on the bottom left corner. This is the route I went b/c I couldn't get the plug out of the rear mic, and the disable setting does not save after startup. You will have to do that everytime you start up.