UPDATED Navigation DISC

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 06:00 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
UPDATED Navigation DISC

Hello guys i was wondering if it's a good idea to update my Navigation Disc to the latest version for $185.00. Is the update a big change to what i have in the O6 RL at this time?

Yesterday i tried finding my local IKEA by place in New Have CT and all that came up were other stores located in different states it took me like 5 min just to find the dam place because i had no address for them i was just going on a inpulse drive there. I find that my $400 GARMIN which i bought before the RL so much easier to find places and give direction. I would appreciate all the feedback and should i buy through the dealer for $185?
Old 03-20-2010, 06:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
While the system is very good at finding addresses (although may not always take the "best" Route), I have never had good luck finding places via the various search options (category, name, etc.) even if it's a place that has been around for quite some time. This goes for my '06 RL with original 4.31 disk or my '04 MDX with brand new disk. The new disk however, does have a number of new roads, some of which I was surprised to see on it. I'd hesitate to upgrade my disk to improve the search results but am still considering it so I have newer streets.

LL
Old 03-20-2010, 08:37 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Yes, I agree with LL. If I try to find a post office, it never works. It seems to only have main post offices, meaning the really big ones that are regional sorting for several zip codes, and does not have the smaller local offices, much less contract offices. Finding a business by name does not work well.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Not to beat a dead horse but yesterday I was taking a train from Trenton NJ to Washington DC at about 5:00 A.M. The exit off Route 1 to the train station was flooded and closed so I ended up in "downtown" Trenton. I tried to search the Navi and although I was certainly within a couple of miles of the Trenton station, I was given results in Ohio, Alabama, Arkansas, and California...all of which had Amtrak stations but I doubt I would have made my morning meetings had I chose to go to one of those locations. Finally, I did manage to coax directions to Trenton out of it (can't quite remember the sequence I used) and it turned out to be two rights, a left, and two more rights...about a mile away. Even though I've been to that station a number of times, next time I'll put it in before I start my journey...just in case.

LL
Old 04-01-2010, 07:13 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
I find this happend with the SORT BY DISTANCE TO TRAVEL selection.

Generally there are two pathways in your drill down through the menus.

Example: Search for my nearest Amtrak here in Tampa, this is what happens:

MENU>TRANSPORTATION > RAIL STATIONS > SORT BY DIST > KEYWORD "AMTRAK"......the results bring up West Palm Beach!

This pathway brings up Tampa Amtrak Station:

MENU > TRANSPORATION > RAIL STATIONS > KEYWORD "AMTRAK" > SORT BY DIST

My rule of thumb is always to select the KEYWORD first, then SORT BY DIST.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:51 PM
Burning Brakes

MENU > TRANSPORATION > RAIL STATIONS > KEYWORD "AMTRAK" > SORT BY DIST"

Must have been what I did the second time!

LL
Old 04-01-2010, 09:56 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
UPDATE, its worth it. I made it part of my sale/deal to getg updated nav disk and all weather mats
Old 04-02-2010, 04:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by lland
I tried to search the Navi and although I was certainly within a couple of miles of the Trenton station, I was given results in Ohio, Alabama, Arkansas, and California...all of which had Amtrak stations but I doubt I would have made my morning meetings had I chose to go to one of those locations.

LL

lol

I would have figured Acura would have fixed that by now. Its the same way in my 1st gen RL.

Not to get to far off topic, but does the nav in your RL's still do this odd thing when routing where it will take you around the block or sometimes farther? ( unverified roads is turned on)