Treo 750 and data upload to Acuralink?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 12:51 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Treo 750 and data upload to Acuralink?

Has anyone successfully connected a Treo 750 on ATT/Cingular to the data service part of Acuralink? It automatically uploads stuff to their server, right? Does it also download anything? What are the general benefits of enabling this service? I haven't been able to get it to work.
Old 09-15-2007, 02:11 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Lightbulb

I do not have a Treo 750 but I am on the verge of getting one. I am a Cingular / ATT user. There are very few PDA / Smartphones that work with both HFL AND Datalink with ATT/Cingular. But the Treo 750 is one that tests out with Acura HFL according to the website (shs battery level too!)

I have a Razr V3 that also works with Datalink (basically means the phone serves as a data capable modem for the car). Datalink allows the car to transmit data to Acuralink server (i.e. a trouble code) and potentially can be diagnosed without the car being taken to a service center. Acuralink can also send data back to the car, potentially resolving an issue. Auralink will alse send reminder message to the car when you make a service appointment online with Ownerlink (assuming your user profile is configured to do so). These are external messages sent to your car via Acuralink. Internal messages are calendar reminders & internal diagnostics (i.e. Airbag Off warning, Gas Cap loose messages). But you must have a paired phone/ cellular carrier that does data transmission to AcuraLink.

Now, when you paired your Treo 750, did the RL ask you if you want to make a data connection? It should recognize the Treo 750 as data capable and do automatically configure it if you select the prompt (did you skip that?). You may want to try to pair the Treo again and see if it offers to make the DatalLink connection. (Important that the car outside, with a clear view south to the satellite so the test can be done - if the Rl cannot 'see' the satellite, it may skip his prompt). While it is setting up the datalink, you will see a scroll bar on the screen as it makes the connection and tests.

If it does not do it automatically, select from the Navi Setup Menu to make a Data Connection. When you select your service / carrier, select Cingular / ATT MEdiaNet. Then isf the car has a 'view' to the satellite you should get the scroll bar on the screen as the connection is made & tested.

A confirmation message appears it it was successful.
Old 09-15-2007, 02:30 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
unfortunately, when either our Treo 750 or SE z310a phones are paired for handsfree, the Acuralink/Message menu item under Setup cannot be accessed. Pressing the center dial button doesn't do anyone when that item is highlighted.
Old 09-15-2007, 02:39 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by gadgetinspector
unfortunately, when either our Treo 750 or SE z310a phones are paired for handsfree, the Acuralink/Message menu item under Setup cannot be accessed. Pressing the center dial button doesn't do anyone when that item is highlighted.
That is odd. Was it disabled after you did the Navi disc update (enabled beforehand)?

It would have to be reinitialized by you Acura Service center. The 'techy' Tech I speak with my dealer has told me he has had to reflash the AcuraLink unit in several RLs (I did not ask why).

I do know the Acura / Honda Ownerlink went through a recent upgrade. It was temporarily disabled with my dealer's Service Center interface and when it was upgraded, it created another entry on my Ownerlink (2 RLs!).

I know mine works, and since you are using a compatible phone, so should yours. I would call or stop by your dealer, explain the problem and seek out a Tech who really knows how this works. It may simply be nitializing / flashing your AcuraLink.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:21 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

I think I know why now...

I just upgraded my ATT / Cingular account from the RAZR V3 to the Palm TREO 680 today.

ONLY the TREO 680 has data connection with AcuraLink. The TREO 750, while has faster internet, does not have the data connection capability with AcuraLink.

I am glad the Cingular rep let me test it out (both pairing & data connection), and I did confirm on the Acura HFL site as well.

One additional bonus ove the RAZR V3 is not I do get a battery meter in the MID.