Onstar 2005 RL

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 08:32 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Onstar 2005 RL

My Onstar is now showing red all the time. I've had it activated since purchasing my RL in 2005 and have never had any problems with it. The dealer and I haven't yet found the problem. I called Onstar and my account is still good, although the rep I talked with was not equipped to deal with an Acura. I'm still being charged for the service.

The Onstar was worked on in 2005 under one of the TSB's...it kept losing minutes, but I can't tell from the receipt what exactly was done.

I have not checked with the carrier, which I think is Verizon...

I didn't notice the red light until after I recently updated my nav system from the original version that came with the RL in 2005 to the latest...as far as I know, the update went without a hitch. It's unlikely, but could this have possibly affected Onstar?

Anyone else having this problem? Thanks.l
Old 12-02-2011, 09:10 AM
Racer

Diagnostics on the Onstar system done by a dealer shows a bad Telematic Control Unit (Onstar Control Unit) Part #39530-SJA-A01.

List Price is $1774.82 plus tax through dealer. Ouch!

Googling the part number brings up some discounted prices with what appears to be Acura parts suppliers, some about $400 off, and some very much lower prices on e-bay of around a couple of hundred dollars.

Figuring this high dollar is the result of a defunct relationship between Acura and Onstar, I tried calling Onstar but didn't get anywhere there...the level I can talk with them naturally resulted in no help with this. I will call AcuraCare, but am not expecting much there.

If anyone has a recommendation as to a reputable parts outlet or other advice, I'd appreciate it.

When I updated my navi from the 2005 to the current with the update disc, I did get one error message that something had not gone right, but the message went away and I thought everything seemed to be working OK. I'm very happy with the updated Nav. I did not make any note of what the error was and can't remember. I was parked in a garage at the time. Since I didn't notice Onstar was not working until just recently and after that upgrade, I'm wondering whether doing the upgrade could have taken out the Onstar module. I purchased the disks directly from NavTec in October and did the update in mid-October. I'm considering running the update procedure again.

Part of the system still works...pressing the telephone button returns the message "onstar ready" and saying "minutes" gives me my minutes. However, pressing the red or blue buttons gives the message "unable to connect." Of course the red light is constantly on.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:41 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I thought there was a discussion in the past with regard to Onstar changing from analog to digital service and not supporting the 2005 Acura RL Onstar unit. I'm surprised either Onstar or Acura haven't mentioned this.
I'v seen a rear view mirror replacement that has Onstar included in it, that might be an inexpensive fix.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:47 AM
Racer

Hey. Yeah, I've seen that discussion. And also another discussion that what's in the car is still supposed to work (?). Mine was working fine until just recently. The Onstar rep I talked with mentioned the rearview replacement, but said it would not do things like unlock the doors. I think he may have mentioned that this same module that's tested bad in my car will run between $100-$200 in a GM vehicle. I'll keep looking into this...Onstar gave me 3 months free since I'm having all the trouble, so I have a little time to figure out what to do. I still plan on running the NAV update again...this time out in the open. It doesn't make sense that the NAV update would be the problem, but I've never fully understood the relationship between the various systems in the RL. I'd sure like to talk with someone with Acura/Onstar who knows the system.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
I believe the 2005 and newer RL's equipped with Onstar have both digital and analog calling capabilities. So your unit wouldn't be affected by the analog shutdown. It'll simply use digital frequencies for its communication.

If it's able to inform you how many minutes you have remaining, it is communicating with Onstar, so the transmission and reception of data is not an issue. Something else is broken, either in the unit or at Onstar. Perhaps you can ask them to 'unsubscribe' you and then resubscribe you. Basically resetting the unit (?)

As for the telematics unit, it controls virtually all of the electronic communications in the cabin, seems unlikely it's 'bad' if everything else works. A new one is just over $1300 from dealers willing to sell just over their cost.