Navigation System not working after fender bender

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 08:38 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navigation System not working after fender bender

2005 RL with original navigation disc in it.

Hi folks, new poster here, I usually stalk these forums and have found some great advice on here from other Acura owners.

On Saturday, I was rear ended in a mild accident. The car got a nice jolt, but the airbags did not deploy and there was no serious damage to the car. After pulling over and checking everything out, I pulled over again at a gas station and filled up the car.

After turning the car back on, the navigation screen froze after clicking the "continue" button (or whatever it may say) to continue to my destination and it never moved off of that screen. Also, my "Go Home" address and my entire address book appears to have been erased. When getting home, I examined the system, the map itself still loads but it takes awhile. The screen starts out black and then the map will appear. However, I am still unable to input any addresses into the system and the system itself has been pretty much rendered useless.

I took out the DVD and examined it. There appears to be some scratching towards the outer edge of the disc. The scratching does not go all the way around, but it's noticeable.

My questions are:

1) Is it the disc? I do not get a "Disc Read" Error, and everything boots as normal.

2) If it is the disc, what map disc do I need to get to update it?

3) If it's not the disc, is the dealer going to charge me out the ass to replace it?
Old 09-12-2011, 07:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,249 Likes on 4,859 Posts
I would try a hard reset of your electronics. The most sure way to do that is to unplug the battery for 10 min or so. You will lose all of your settings, but it may resolve your issue.

1)
2) 4.92 is the current latest release, but you will need one that is 4.61(?) or earlier to get the firmware update for the later versions. I know someone has used 4.31c to do it. You only need that disc once, so it can be borrowed.
3) Yes.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,043 Likes on 848 Posts
Where are you located?

After a battery cable pull, I would try to borrow a disc to see if that fixes it before buying new or going to the dealer.

And like 007 said, you need a multiple disc set to upgrade from the original 05 disc.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:06 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
i believe you are in valet mode!
try your key fob #2
when i can't see go home or some of the other things on the navi screen it means u are in valet mode! to get out of it i forgot but i believe u hold the lock and unlock buttons together for 5 seconds or something. look in the manual.
BUT I HAVE NO CLUE HOW AFTER AN ACCIDENT U WOULD BE IN VALET MODE THOUGH.

Hope this helps
Old 09-15-2011, 09:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,249 Likes on 4,859 Posts
Holding lock and unlock will unlink your fob. I'm not sure about valet mode either, but that makes sense that it wouldn't tell them where you live.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:37 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
my service advisor did it for me, maybe he just explained it to me in a different way and called it valet mode. but still it is very strange how an accident would make the remote go into valet mode. you can always update your software depending on what verison you running
Old 09-16-2011, 11:13 PM
5th Gear

Thank you for the reply's guys. I've been away on business this week so I haven't had a chance to try and big the GPS back from the dead yet. I appreciate the input and I'll be sure to give these things a try.

Is there a way to purchase just the firmware disc?
Old 09-23-2011, 07:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by TheCannonsBuddy
Thank you for the reply's guys. I've been away on business this week so I haven't had a chance to try and big the GPS back from the dead yet. I appreciate the input and I'll be sure to give these things a try.

Is there a way to purchase just the firmware disc?
BTW - if the DVD player in the trunk is NG, you can remove it and send it to Alpine and for a flat fee of approx $160 they will fix it. For diagnostics you could buy the same old version on EBay or borrow another one from any other Acura/Honda of similar vintage to determine if it's the hardware or the software.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:32 AM
5th Gear

Good news!

I purchased the 2012 map update package through Acura which came with a firmware installation disc. I'm happy to report the system is working perfectly and there are no issues with the navigation. Some other things have sprung up but the Navigation is back!