NAVI/XM/CD Tracks, Song title

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 05:06 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NAVI/XM/CD Tracks, Song title

I am VERY frustrated with my 2005 RL. Have had navi changed and updated and they just don't get it.

Problem: When car is first turned on and I try to see radio station "names" not just channel # it doesn't show them on XM. Then if I change the station it will sometimes show it. This was not happening before my first update when they did the recall for the navi. Changed the unit out and it still does this? What does everybody else see on their navi when the press Audio. Do you see channel # or do you see name of channel such "The Heart"?

#2 Problem: When playing CD's I do not see the name of the CD nor the name of the songs on each track. They say just certain disc will do that, but I have tried 30 or more CD and none of them seem to work properly. I know this also worked in the beginning. Nothing I have been able to do to make this information show up on the Navi Screen. It just shows Track 1, Track 2, etc.

My frustration with Acura is that when I walk in the door I feel they think "Oh, here is a woman and she will just believe whatever I say". I guarantee, they have figured out that isn't the case, but just don't get a positive result on any of the work I have the dealer do. I am under warranty and need to have my remote mirror fixed for the 3rd time, my doors won't lock by touch when wet and they have replaced them 3 times also. Not sure they know nor care what the problems are. Lexus, Mercedes, BMW are looking pretty good to me right now. I had planned to keep this car much longer, but not happy with the little problems that are so annoying.

I have NEVER seen a single maintenance minder come up and I have 29,000 miles on the car. I have always changed the oil ahead of time (30-50%)so I am now trying to see when it is finally going to tell me something to just see if it actually works. They are telling me it will come on at 15% so I am now at 20%. We shall see.

Would love for somebody to tell me how their Acura navi/dvd thing works so I will know if I am crazy or not.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:51 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
I have an '06 my XM displays artists because that is what I have it set to do. The display button on the audio unit changes this from artist, song, station, etc. to display that information in the little 'window' on the dash where the temp is shown. When I press audio I do see station number, name, artist and song. Now for the CD I never see a song title nor artist but I only use redbook CDs and not MP3s. I am thinking that MP3s on a CD may show that information. The locking door handle thing is a known problem with the '05 model. I suggest if you have the option use another dealer to do your warranty work.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:38 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
try another dealer,i did and they fix my problem

try another dealer will get you a new view of your issues. please stay with your RL the other car makes you named are FAR,FAR WORST in repair issues. yes the 1 st model RL 2005 did have alot of bugs but are far better then the others.. my dealer is Acura of avon in ct. if near call them speak to Jerry or Chris service manager.. i hope this helps..
Old 07-12-2007, 06:17 AM
10th Gear

Thanks for both post. I really believe that in the beginning my CD's would show name of CD and song names on the Navi screen because I remarked to my husband how nice that was.

Miner, does the info on the Navi screen for XM show immediately or do you have to change stations or toggle it some way to make them come up?

The door handle thing when wet is crazy. I am guessing when my warranty runs out they will be glad. I need to ask them for a copy of my repair records so that I can have some proof of how many times they did it under warranty.

I don't have the option of a different dealer, but may try to have some work done the next time I am in Texas and see if they can address my issues. My dealer just seems to want to appease me for a little while and then worries about my survey answers. They even called me after they had my car for a full WEEK working on XM issue wanting to make sure I "took care of them" when I got the survey. They are more worried about the survey than whether I get the issues taken care of.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:18 AM
10th Gear

By the Way - The on dash display does list whatever I have it programmed for, but I am talking about the Navi screen audio display where you can see what stations you have programmed, etc.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:10 AM
'06 RL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by txaggiemom
Would love for somebody to tell me how their Acura navi/dvd thing works so I will know if I am crazy or not.
Well, I can't speak to your sanity, but... I think I have some sympathy for your service manager.

1) CD names never come up. I've not found a single CD that contains the data that would show track names and the like. Does not happen. Only MP3 discs show the folders -- not even DVD-A discs display track names. This was true in my '05 RL and my '06 RL. Not a feature, not a defect, it just does not do it.

2) If you've always changed the oil ahead of time, then you'll never get a maintenance minder. That's kind of a no-brainer. Service warnings will start at 15% life, and get progressively more insistent as you approach 0%. If you get the service done and the service minder is reset before that, then you'll never see a message.

3) Radio station "names"? They're only visible for XM (not FM or AM, ever) and they do take a little while to load to the audio preset screen. When you first turn on the car, if you hit the "audio" button you'll see "XM 204" or some such... then after a few minutes it should switch over to show the name of the channel (204 is "Home Ice") as it pulls the names out of the XM data stream. This behavior has been consistent on the 2 RL's I owned, as well. If you don't live in a major urban area with XM repeaters, then it'll likely take longer to pull the names off of the stream for the channels you're not listening to currently. If I understand you, your complaint is that it takes a few minutes to load -- that's normal. If it is taking longer than a few minutes, that's a problem.

4) The door lock item is a known issue with the '05's. If your dealer can't fix it, call ACS. Three times is a lot, they should get it right, but it is a problem with that year.

Don't think Lexus or Mercedes is any better -- they aren't.

Good luck with your car.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:46 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by jftjr
Well, I can't speak to your sanity, but... I think I have some sympathy for your service manager.

1) CD names never come up. I've not found a single CD that contains the data that would show track names and the like. Does not happen. Only MP3 discs show the folders -- not even DVD-A discs display track names. This was true in my '05 RL and my '06 RL. Not a feature, not a defect, it just does not do it.
Generally this is true, but I do have at least one CD where CD title and track title info comes up, which is the Dixie Chicks "Taking the Long Way" which shows you how long ago I bought a CD...

I have to admit I don't buy too many CDs these days, and that most recent purchases have been DVD-As, but there aren't very many of those either. I have kind of settled for the lo fi XM Radio in most cases.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:24 PM
05 slate grey e500 AMG sp

Titles show on the new WILCO CD the new Neil Young live releases from the 70's & a tribute CD for the Band.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:31 PM
HIGHLY RADIOACTIVE

Posted by jftjr

SOME CD'S DO DISPLAY TITLE AND TRACK-- I HAVE ACTUALLY QUITE A FEW CD'S THAT DO---TRY THE ESSENTIAL'S COLLECTIONS---THE ESSENTIAL HEART/STEVIE RAY VAUGHN/JUDAS PRIEST AS WELL AS SOME NEWER CDS BY SLAYER ALL DISPLAY TITEL AND TRACK INFO. HOWEVER DVD AUDIO DISCS RARLEY DISPLAY IT---MY XM DISPAYS ALL INFO AS IT IS SUPPOSED TO DO-I WOULD ALSO AGREE ABOUT GOING TO A DIFFERENT DEALERSHIP. I ALSO HAVE AN 05',BOUGHT IT IN JAN 05'---I AM VERY SATISFIED WITH THE CAR--ONLY REAL PROBLEM IS THAT INTERMIN. DOOR TABS NOT WORKING WHEN THEY GET WET--BUT THIS HAS HAPPENED ABOUT 4-5 TIMES SINCE I GOT IT.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:44 AM
10th Gear

Thanks so much for all the great replies. I knew I wasn't crazy about CD's title & track info. I know I have seen it before, but now I don't see it at all on any disc. I have tried a lot of them, but rather tedious to keep trying them and convince the dealer that I am not insane. As for the XM display, if I don't change a station, etc. then the information never updates. Only stays on the Channel#.

Thanks to those of you that confirmed that they are seeing what I am wanting to see on XM and CD's. Makes me know it can be done, but not sure I have the patience or energy to see it through again.

As far as maintenance minder, I am assuming that there has been no maintenance needed on my car which has 28,000 miles other than oil changes because it has never shown any reminders as Acura Customer Service told me it would. I am going to wait out the oil change just to make sure it is working and will show me a reminder. May sound silly, but how else am I to know if it is working.

Now, my mirror on passenger side won't adjust with remote control so I have to push it up by hand manually and just leave it in that position. They have fixed this once already also. Washed my car yesterday and guess what?? The touch door locks don't work again. So many little quirks with this car that I would prefer not to have for what I paid. I can say that at least I haven't had anything major with engine, air conditioning, etc. So...guess it is time to take to the dealer again and see what they can do. I wish I did have another dealer to work with, but not an option unless I drive 3 hours away.

So...considering what we pay for this car, why would you feel sorry for the Service Manager? I guess taking care of your customer is not something I should expect? I have been very nice to them and very courteous, but find that they aren't always willing to listen to what I am telling them. I can go pick up the car and they tell me all is fixed. I get in the car, check things out and they haven't changed a thing. Recently, I actually took my husband's Corvette in for repairs and told them the problem and even the solution to repair air conditioner, per my husband's instructions. I pick up the car and they have replaced the entire air conditioner on the car. Very costly warranty repair for Chevrolet. Well, then get it home and the problem is still there. All they had to do is replace a $10.00 part and be done with it. Had to take it back and they did just that. I swear it is a woman thing with car repairs.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
As far as maintenance minder, I am assuming that there has been no maintenance needed on my car which has 28,000 miles other than oil changes because it has never shown any reminders as Acura Customer Service told me it would. I am going to wait out the oil change just to make sure it is working and will show me a reminder. May sound silly, but how else am I to know if it is working..
You know its working because it counts down from 100% to 20%. I'm not sure what you are expecting to see at 15% that "confirms" that it is working. You will get a "service soon" message at 15% because that's just what it does just like it goes from 50% to 40% after a certain usage period. In other words if it is counting down, then it is working. Whether your dealer is performing the proper services is the real question here.

I'm assuming that since you have taken your vehicle in for servicing at 30-50% that you have probably had it in to the dealer about 9 times so far. Has each visit cost the same amount? Did you go in and ask them to change the oil or did you say to perform the service corresponding to mileage? Because of how maintenance minder works, the services can be different for each visit but if you never reach the 15%, the the maintenance minder never has a chance to inform the dealer what services to perform. If you go in and ask them to just change the oil, then that may be all they are doing when they should be checking and replacing other things and you probably should have had your tires rotated at least twice as well.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:20 AM
'06 RL

So...considering what we pay for this car, why would you feel sorry for the Service Manager? I guess taking care of your customer is not something I should expect?
Because you're bringing the car back to them over and over again for CD SONG TITLES. You haven't found a CD that displays the data, and therefore there's something "wrong" with the car. They've spent weeks trying to appease you, and you still criticize them.

This isn't the brakes, it isn't the engine, it's not the AWD system -- heck, it's not even a cosmetic flaw. And you're not even sure it's not working, because you haven't found a CD that does it.

Yes, your door handle is a legitimate complaint, and so is your mirror. I agree, these should be fixed. But the whole "omfg this car's so EXPENSIVE why should this be happening?" combined with the bulk of your complaints apparently being centered on radio functionality, makes you sound like "one of THOSE customers" who simply can't be pleased. And when a dealership is confronted with one of THOSE customers.... guess what? There's just NO pleasing them, and there's a whole line of other people whose needs can be addressed....

So, that's why I have sympathy for the service manager.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:41 AM
Intermediate

I get the door lock thing, too, when I forget and go through that laser wash... I replaced the driver's side door handle once, as well. It died completely. Now, it just blinks out when I'm lazy and don't wash my car by hand...

CD's... I only have a couple that show title and track names (a Michael Jackson CD and a Frankie J CD). Pleasant surprise when titles and track names come up.

XM (on the audio screen)... Channels and station names display.

I can understand your frustration. You want your RL to work properly. Don't blame u a bit for that.

Yeah, I looked at the "others," too. I still have my RL, and will have a new one when the new design presents itself. Can't beat it. (I checked out the forums for the other cars, as well. Interesting tales...)

Hang in there!
Old 07-20-2007, 04:42 PM
10th Gear

Thanks everybody that were so nice to give me their experience. I can be a stickler about my car, but I am actually very nice to the service rep and they are very nice in return. They really try to do what needs to be done. One of the above replies was very condescending, but guess there are always those in the world that just can't help themselves. But...the rest of you that replied and help me made up for that one. Thanks so much for being so kind.

I had my car to the dealer today and they repaired my mirror, door handle, and window. No problems and he even asked me about my radio if it was doing what I expected/wanted . I told him the jury was still out on that, but it would be fine. My neighbor says she has a couple of CD's that display information so I will borrow them and see what happens with them. If they work, then great, if not then that is the way it is.

I did finally see a service reminder come up. Yea!!! It came on when oil was 15% just like it was suppose to . They do have a 30,000 miles service that we decided we would have done since we were more comfortable having some of those maintenance things done because at this point we want to make sure they car is well taken care of. I now feel that I have given the car the care it needs and all is well.

Again thanks to those that were so kind and considerate to me. The forum works great and glad to have this tool available.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:20 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
One of the above replies was very condescending, but guess there are always those in the world that just can't help themselves. But...the rest of you that replied and help me made up for that one. Thanks so much for being so kind.
With all due respect to you txaggie. You asked for opinions. Well, you got them. No one said they had to be sugar coated.

By the way, you know that little parting "passive aggressive" comment was meant to be hurtful as well. So are you any better?

I think you got some good advice. I suppose that's all that matters. Good luck to you.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:47 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Cool

Recently, I actually took my husband's Corvette in for repairs and told them the problem and even the solution to repair air conditioner, per my husband's instructions. I pick up the car and they have replaced the entire air conditioner on the car. Very costly warranty repair for Chevrolet. Well, then get it home and the problem is still there. All they had to do is replace a $10.00 part and be done with it. Had to take it back and they did just that. I swear it is a woman thing with car repairs.
It may seem nice of your dealership to get an entirely new a/c unit as opposed to the $10 part you suspect. However, look a little deeper into this dealership's motivation. Replacing a $10 part does not earn a big return, whether you or Chevrolet pays for it as a warranty repair. But replacing an entire a/c unit is big $$$ and labor fees. Now you may have not paid it, but that dealer screwed Chevrolet as easily as they could have screwed you. You simply were the mule to the dealership bilking Chevrolet for the unprecedented warranty repair.

If you think a bit before tossing accusations, not only might you better understand your vehicle, the dealership and the manufacturer, but perhaps have a better understanding of your claimed service success.

I would not trust you Chevrolet dealership an further than I can toss an unecessary replacement a/c unit. Who really came out the winner?
Old 07-21-2007, 09:04 AM
Racer

1. The xm channel names- takes some time to refresh. I found a quick way is to toggle betweem xm1 and xm2 by pushing up on the interface dial

2. Cd tiltles- does not typically work on store bought cds. I buy the cd then burn it with Nero and add the titles. Works great and I have 2 copies of the cd, preserving the original.

By the way I am a Texas Aggie Dad- whoop!
Old 07-22-2007, 09:51 AM
10th Gear

Thanks for the helpful information.

I have 3 Texas Aggies - whoop!!!
Old 07-22-2007, 01:56 PM
Intermediate

if your door handle keeps failing maybe you have a lemon and should use the lemon laws if that's still available for you in your state...

the 07 rl's seem to have a better radio/navi from what I hear... backup camera too