Nav...getting incidents but not flow

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 08:51 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nav...getting incidents but not flow

I'm getting construction and incidents but no traffic flow. Since I don't live or work in a Nav service area, it's only when I'm in an area that I'm aware of Nav not working. I was in Houston the first week in February, and nothing with Nav was working...I've had all the problems posted on this forum, including a day or two of XM Preview with no radio...XM radio fixed itself. Shortly after I was in Houston that time, and for the NavTraffic not working I called 1-800-967-2346 several times as I passed through Jackson, MS and was told that my account was "out of alignment." The XM and NAV are billing separately and coming due on different dates. So, I paid to have the account "re-aligned," and was assured that NavTraffic would work. Of course, since then, they've billed me separately, so I'm out of "alignment" again...(I'm not making this up!) At that time, I thought I was in a service area, but apparently was not, so the refreshes may not have worked. It wasn't until yesterday that I was actually again in a service area, being Houston, TX. I can see that I'm still not getting traffic flow. Incidents seem to be working OK. So yesterday, while in Houston, I spoke to supposed tech support at 1-800-985-9200. The first person was going to make a report to the "back room" IT people. I had pulled off and made the call some 30 miles from downtown. She suggested that I was too far out, so later in the day, as I passed through downtown in the worst traffic you'll ever see (no place for a country boy), I called again, and this lady told me to take the car to a dealer since the "refresh" is not working on my car. I've had NavTraffic since purchasing this car new in 2005, and the problems seem to have started a couple of months ago. Anyone have any suggestions as to what I need to do next? I'll call the dealer at my current location in Louisiana and see what they might can do, but I don't believe this is a problem with my car.

One note that might support that something with my radio needs attention...my normal travel areas include 200-300 miles South of Memphis, going across Mississippi, and I have noticed that the same incident has been reporting for several weeks in Memphis...on I40 at one of the loop interchanges. This is kind of weird...seems that should have been cleared up. Also, while in Houston, sometimes it appeared that only the left half of the screen was flashing when the system updated traffic info. Still no traffic flow anywhere.

Fred
201,400 miles
2005 RL purchased new June, 2005
Old 03-10-2011, 01:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
It seems to me that, if the receiver is getting incident reports, it's talking/listening to NavTraffic. It could be the area you're in isn't reporting traffic well. I have had that happen in SoCal, even, where we don't get any traffic info for an hour or so and then it restarts the display. That's been during heavy weather (ie torrential rain with goats floating by) and also just one general old sunny day.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 421 Likes on 315 Posts
My traffic flow disappeared today for the first time in a long time. The Traffic Scale was on the Zoom scale for a while, but then disappeared as well.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:50 PM
Safety Car

Went out on an errand this afternoon - still no traffic. However, the traffic scale is there. Every other time in the past that traffic flow went away, the scale did as well.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:34 PM
Safety Car

second straight day with no traffic
time to call them
Old 03-27-2011, 12:42 AM
Racer

You need to call xm and get a signal resent. I think you can do it online too, if you don't want to wait on hold. It is called something like "resend signal"... I think this would fix it. One thing I see is the traffic takes about 5 minutes to come up, so when I leave work, in the sf bay area, I get to the metering lane to get on the freeway, and only then does it come up. It sucks cuz I can go North or South and take either the San Mateo or Dunbarton bridge, if there is an accident, but most times I am stuck headed one direction before It comes up. I wish I could get the system to update faster on my 07 RL. I just got the latest update in November for $99 but that didn't make much difference.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
I have spent as much time talking to XM customer service as I have listening to their music. Recently, due to their incompetance, I cancelled traffic and weather in my MDX and cancelled traffic in my RL.
In LA, I can listen to XM 221 and get traffic and weather reports that are different from the screen displays. The screen displays are almost worthless: the flow is not "real-time", the incidents are out of date and I can get a more detailed weather forcast by looking out of the window.
As I have stated before, both traffic and weather could be great but the implementation by XM is damn close to pathetic. I will grant however, that the pathetic implementation is vastly better than their customer service.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:15 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
^
Old 03-28-2011, 12:20 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
First off, make sure you have traffic flows turned on.

Secondly XM has been having issue. A couple of months ago my nav traffic would regularly disappear after 20 minutes. XM admitted they had some issues with certain accounts and it's been allegedly fixed, but there was also a TSB out there that called for a software patch. I'm out of the factory warranty. Acuracare wouldn't cover the costs for the patch (all labor) because it doesn't involve replacement of parts.

My service manager tried to get this covered as goodwill since I had first started reporting sporadic problems when I was under factory coverage.

Acura refused.

My dealer though covered for me as their own goodwill since I'm a regular customer.

Thumbs up to Suburban Acura in Farmington Hills, MI.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:07 PM
Safety Car

gcook - I have done the reset from the web as well as talked to XM Cust Serv and had them do it. No success. I have not had traffic for at least 2 weeks. As I indicated before, I get the zoom scale showing the traffic range, but no traffic flow. After about 20 minutes of driving the zoom scale goes away as well.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:30 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by getakey
gcook - I have done the reset from the web as well as talked to XM Cust Serv and had them do it. No success. I have not had traffic for at least 2 weeks. As I indicated before, I get the zoom scale showing the traffic range, but no traffic flow. After about 20 minutes of driving the zoom scale goes away as well.
I had THE EXACT same problem. After 20 minutes the traffic bar would disappear and no traffic. Insist on talking to tech support, not customer service. THey said there was an issue with my account.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:24 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by GoHawks
I had THE EXACT same problem. After 20 minutes the traffic bar would disappear and no traffic. Insist on talking to tech support, not customer service. THey said there was an issue with my account.
Thanks - that will be my objective today!
Old 03-30-2011, 12:16 PM
Racer

[QUOTE=bluemule;12772188]I'm getting construction and incidents but no traffic flow.

The last time I talked to XM/Nav support, they advised me to have a dealer look at the car. And, they were RIGHT. The dealer in Shreveport, Louisiana, Orr Acura, found my problem! The traffic flow (traffic speed) in one of the submenus was not active. A few weeks ago, and while XM/NAV was updating, I recall looking at this menu and either accidently unchecked it myself, or something in the update process unchecked it...most likely, I unchecked it. However, my recollection is that it was active when I last looked at it.

The dealer discovered that the "traffic speed" setting was not active. It's in the "show icon on map" section (should be blue for my 2005 RL)...go to icon options (push selector to right)...category for icon settings...traffic...traffic speeds. Traffic speeds should be blue. Both traffic speeds and traffic icons should be blue. Push selector to right for "done."

Orr Acura did a great job looking into this and finding the problem!
Old 03-30-2011, 12:28 PM
Safety Car

I checked that already.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:35 PM
Safety Car

Talked to Customer Care 3 times now. Finally got transferred to Tech Support. They send a "different" reset signal so they said. Still nothing
Waiting on hold again.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:37 PM
Safety Car

finally success
I guess I got a hold of someone in support that knew what they were doing
Old 05-26-2011, 07:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by db22
I have spent as much time talking to XM customer service as I have listening to their music. Recently, due to their incompetance, I cancelled traffic and weather in my MDX and cancelled traffic in my RL.
In LA, I can listen to XM 221 and get traffic and weather reports that are different from the screen displays. The screen displays are almost worthless: the flow is not "real-time", the incidents are out of date and I can get a more detailed weather forcast by looking out of the window.
As I have stated before, both traffic and weather could be great but the implementation by XM is damn close to pathetic. I will grant however, that the pathetic implementation is vastly better than their customer service.
This is in response to my previous posting: I have subsequently re-enabled Traffic on my RL and Traffic and Weather on my MDX but I stand by my previous posting. I did this because the systems have the potential of being great but the implementation is so bad that XM should be embarassed to charge money for it. In fact, I got both cars for the $77/yr but the optional Traffic and Traffic and Weather Doubled the price!
I drove to work this morning and the flow was green but a freeway to freeway interchange was completely closed and the system did not show anything. I realize that it will only show reported problems but if nobody reports to XM it doesn't seem to stop XM for charging for something that they must realize is useless.
Every other source of traffic is better than XM's and is free so I have to conclude that Traffic and Weather are the slush fund that XM uses to pay off its lawsuits.
Last weekend I was skiing at Mammoth mountain CA and the MDX Weather said Snow AM and PM for 2 days. Needless to say, it did not come close to snowing on either day, in fact I'm nursing a little sunburn! Again, as previously stated, you will get a more comprehensive weather forecast by looking out of the window.