ipod question

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 07:02 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ipod question

when using the acura ipod link, will all the songs, artists, etc be displayed on the nav screen? Can I access all songs etc off of the radio and not the ipod?? What I am hoping is you just hook up the ipod and lock it in the glove, all functions would be controlled from the radio.

Is this correct??

Thanks
Rich
Old 10-05-2006, 03:41 PM
VIP

Nope.

Get a USA-Spec But nothing will desplay info on the navi display. Your hooking up another CD-Changer in all aspects.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:36 AM
kgd
Instructor

Song titles are not displayed. You can control the iPod via voice tags that the Acura software adds to the iPod which will allow you to select artists and playlists from the radio with your iPod in the glove box. I had mine installed in the center console as I usually bring it into the office with me. Some people like the Acura MusicLink, some don't. I have found the MusicLink to work great. I have systems in other cars where you have to use the iPod to select songs and artists, this is by far better for a car. It took me a few weeks to get used to it. I did not like it at all for about a week, got used to it after a couple weeks, and now believe it is the best system out there after about 9 months.

Good luck.

Kris
Old 10-09-2006, 07:40 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Skiunow,

You have the USA Spec unit? How is it? I am having it installed on Friday.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:20 AM
VIP

The USA Spec works great. I have 40 gigs of songs so being able to use my ipod's controls to search through all of them is a must. I mounted my ipod on a movable arm just to the left of the factory radio so i can swivle it closer to me to use the controls and then push it back up next to the radio so it is out of the way when I am not using it. Works quite well having it mounted close like that.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
skiunow do you have pics of this usa spec kit ? where did you get it ? thanks
Old 10-10-2006, 05:58 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by kgd
Song titles are not displayed. You can control the iPod via voice tags that the Acura software adds to the iPod which will allow you to select artists and playlists from the radio with your iPod in the glove box. I had mine installed in the center console as I usually bring it into the office with me. Some people like the Acura MusicLink, some don't. I have found the MusicLink to work great. I have systems in other cars where you have to use the iPod to select songs and artists, this is by far better for a car. It took me a few weeks to get used to it. I did not like it at all for about a week, got used to it after a couple weeks, and now believe it is the best system out there after about 9 months.

Good luck.

Kris
Kris, what if anything displays on the Navi screen when the iPod is playing? On the unit that I say at the dealer, only the word "Extension" was displayed across the Navi Screen. Same for you?
Old 10-12-2006, 02:16 AM
kgd
Instructor

That is correct regarding the display on the Nav screen. It would be nice if they programmed the screen to display the tag information. Wouldn't be too much of a distraction especially since XM displays the same info. I still like the MusicLink though.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:22 AM
VIP

Sorry for the dark pictures, but I took them early this morning. I will try and get better ones when it is light outside. But here are the pics of how I have my ipod mounted.

Old 10-13-2006, 09:32 AM
VIP

The pictures show the ipod when it is pushed forward and out of the way. I keep it here most of the time. But when I am searching for songs I can pull the ipod closer to me so I can put my arm on the center arm rest, this makes searching very easy because it is like you are holding the ipod and using your thumb like you natively would instead of having to pick it up or search with your index finger like I have seen many others have to do with their installs. Yes, you can use the steering wheel and radio controls to navigate the ipod, but I have 40 gigs of music so that is just not an option for me unless I am just switching to the next track. By the way, the pictures do not do this justice, it looks OEM and blends in extremely well to the RL's interior. It is not in the way at all, I have yet to hit it with my knee or anything.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:52 PM
10th Gear

ipod mount

Skiunow,

Awesome job on the ipod mount. Where did you buy that? I want the exact same thing, but am not able to find it.

Chandra
Old 12-07-2006, 12:22 PM
VIP

This is actually a funny story. The mount is originally from a Sirius SR1 radio that I bought and imediately returned because the sound quality was horrible. In my haste to return it I forgot to put the mount in the box. I guess lucky for me in the long run. For the ipod mount I bought one of the universal cradle kits that they sell at Best Buy or Circiut City. The cradle mounts with 4 mounting screws and it of course fit perfectly on the arm!