Help! '05 RL with major electrical issues!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011 | 09:14 AM
Intermediate

Help! '05 RL with major electrical issues!

My wife went to leave work last Friday in her '05 RL. She walked out to the car but the fob would not open the car. She said red light on fob was blinking so it was not the battery. She used the key to get into the car and said the courtesy lights would not come on and the internal locks would not work. Then when she went to start the car with the key, it started, but it also set the alarm off. She shut the car off and alarm quit. She then got out and tried the key in the door look again (turned to lock twice and unlock). There was no horn honk and the above issues still occurred. After this I drove 45 minutes to meet her with the other key fob hoping it was just a weak battery but it made no difference.

At this point, and against my better judgment, we decided to disconnect the battery for a few minutes to see if that did anything. Well, no luck there. At this point we said screw it and arranged to have the car towed to Acura the next day. The next day while waiting for the tow guy to show, my wife was reading online on how to reinitialize the key or something. She said she did some sequence with the key which allowed her to start the car and not have the alarm go off. The tow guy ended up taking to long and Acura was unable to get us in on Saturday and since the car was now drivable she drove it home and we have a appointment on Tuesday now.

I'd like to avoid the dealer if possible and the below are the current issues we are having.

1. Key fobs still don't work (it's not the batteries)
2. courtesy lights do not come on
3. internal locks do not work
4. reentered radio code but now Nav screen is blank and she cannon control A/C and heat

Could all this be just from the Key fob not being recognized? Is there a way to reinitialize them? I did a bunch of searching over the weekend but couldn't find anything....I really hope it not something major.

Please help!

Thanks,
Rasky
Old 12-19-2011 | 09:47 AM
Intermediate

Looks like I may have found my issue.

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-90/rl-will-start-but-alarm-goes-off-805745/
Old 12-19-2011 | 05:22 PM
Suzuka Master

yep bad door handle.
Old 12-21-2011 | 11:33 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RaskyR1
Looks like I may have found my issue.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=805745

hey RaskyR1

im glad your wife was able to mess with the keys to start the car without the alarm going off. i never tried that. You found my previous thread, i just hade the same problem beginning of this month on the oppisite door handle.

give us an update with what happens. the dealer is probably going to tell you they need three hours of labor to look at the car and figure out the problem!

I know you dont want to have to go to the dealer, but i would recommend you have it checked out and or fixed!

last thing you want is to be on a road trip and not able to fix it at all.

luckly for me both times i was in my driveway same spot. Forbid i was out of town i would have been screweddd