DTC Help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 07:14 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DTC Help.

Can anyone shed some light on the following codes? I did a quick look on Google and found the DTC codes for older RLs but nothing for the 2005.

All Wheel Drive: 77
Vehicle Stability Assist: 83
Emissions System: P0116
When I started the car this morning there were no issues. I drove <2 miles, stopped the car and shut off the engine for about 3 mins while getting some Dunkin Donuts. When I started the car back up the listed codes were displayed. I shut off the car again and restarted same. I finished the drive to work, another mile or so and the codes remained. Once again I shut off the car and restarted, same codes. I checked the battery voltage and it was fine (12.5v).

Any Ideas?
Old 05-18-2009, 12:57 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Is your check engine light on? A few months ago I recieved the Emissions System Code: P0116. Turned out I was not closing my gas cap tightly enough and air had seeped through and depressurized my gas tank. Guy at an auto parts store told me to just make sure to tight the gas cap well after fill ups and wait a few days. It took about two weeks but my light did turn off and the alert did go away.

As for the other codes, I am not sure. You can always call an Acura dealer or an auto parts store.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:12 PM
Intermediate

I did fill up on Saturday. I will check it, Thanks!

Originally Posted by rmjse
Is your check engine light on? A few months ago I recieved the Emissions System Code: P0116. Turned out I was not closing my gas cap tightly enough and air had seeped through and depressurized my gas tank. Guy at an auto parts store told me to just make sure to tight the gas cap well after fill ups and wait a few days. It took about two weeks but my light did turn off and the alert did go away.

As for the other codes, I am not sure. You can always call an Acura dealer or an auto parts store.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:20 PM
It ain't mine.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
code 83
DTC 83: PCM

Check the DTC. Is DTC 86 indicated? YES - Do the troubleshooting for DTC 86. NO - Go to step 2.
Clear the DTC using the HDS.
Disconnect the HDS from the 16P DLC.
Turn the ignition switch OFF, then turn it ON (II).
Test-drive the vehicle. Do the VSA and VSA activation indicators come on, and is DTC 83 indicated? YES - Go to step 6. NO - The system is OK at this time. Refer to intermittent failures.
Check the PGM-FI system. Does the MIL indicator come on or is a PCM DTC indicated? YES - Do the applicable troubleshooting for the PGM-FI system DTC. NO - Go to step 7.
Check the gear position indicator. Does the D indicator come on while neutral position (N) is selected or is a PCM DTC indicated? YES - Do the applicable troubleshooting for the A/T system. NO - Check for loose terminals at the PCM connectors, and go to step 8.
Clear the DTC using the HDS.
Turn the ignition switch OFF, then turn it ON (II).
Test-drive the vehicle. Is DTC 83 indicated and no PCM's DTC? YES - Substitute a known-good PCM, and recheck. If the code returns, check for loose terminals or poor connections at the VSA modulator-control unit 47P connector. If connections are good, replace the VSA modulator-control unit, and recheck. NO - The system is OK at this time. Refer to intermittent failures.

I cannot find any factory trouble code 77
The above is the diagnostic procedure for code #83 wich idicates that there is a communication error with the pcm (powertrain control module).Definitely something to let acura figure out.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:22 PM
It ain't mine.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry forgot the other one,it is for your ECT(engine coolant temp)sensor.again the following is diagnostic procedure.

DTC P0116: ECT Sensor 1 Circuit Range/Performance Problem

NOTE: Before you troubleshoot, record all freeze data and any on-board snapshot, and review the general troubleshooting information.

Turn the ignition switch ON (II).
Check ECT SENSOR 1 in the DATA LIST with the HDS. Is about 176 degrees F (80 degrees C) or higher, or 0.78 V or less indicated? YES - Go to step 6. NO - Go to step 3.
Note the value of ECT SENSOR 1 in the DATA LIST with the HDS.
Start the engine. Hold the engine speed at 3,000 rpm without load (in Park or neutral) until the radiator fan comes on, then let it idle.
Check ECT SENSOR 1 in the DATA LIST with the HDS. Does ECT SENSOR 1 change 18 degrees F (10 degrees C) or more? YES - Intermittent failure, system is OK at this time. Check for poor connections or loose terminals at ECT sensor 1 and the PCM. NO - Go to step 11.
Note the value of ECT SENSOR 1 in the DATA LIST with the HDS.
Turn the ignition switch OFF.
Open the hood, and let the engine cool for 3 hours .
Check ECT SENSOR 1 in the DATA LIST with the HDS. Does ECT SENSOR 1 change 18 degrees F (10 degrees C) or more? YES - Intermittent failure, system is OK at this time. Check for poor connections or loose terminals at ECT sensor 1 and the PCM. NO - Go to step 11.
Turn the ignition switch OFF.
Replace ECT sensor 1.
Reset the PCM with the HDS.
Do the PCM idle learn procedure.
Check for Temporary DTCs or DTCs with the HDS. Are any Temporary DTCs or DTCs indicated? YES - If DTC P0116 is indicated, check for poor connections or loose terminals at ETC sensor 1 and the PCM, then go to step 1. If any other Temporary DTCs or DTCs are indicated, go to the indicated DTC's troubleshooting. NO - Troubleshooting is complete.

Another problem to let either acura or a technician handle.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by shill1234; 05-18-2009 at 06:23 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 05-20-2009, 06:19 AM
Intermediate

Damn gas cap...

Took the gas cap off and put it back on and after a day of driving the DTC codes went away.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:19 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
It is interesting that the MID did not tell you to tighten the gas cap. That is what is supposed to happen. A message in the MID comes up "Check Fuel Cap" and/or "Tighten Fuel Cap"