Connecting V3 to data server - Cingular

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 10:28 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Connecting V3 to data server - Cingular

on June 1, 2005, acurafox posted in thread entitled "finally sent outbound message to Acuralink Server!), a dial string, user name and password successfully used by his Ericsson phone with Cingular service to make a phone/data connection with the Acura Server.

I had a similar problem, but in my case, the newly purchased V3 Motorola was already programmed with the dial strings as posted by acurafox, but my '05 RL had different strings. I had a V505 paired with AT&T MMode service when I paired the V3 with Cingular. I don't know where the strings present in the car came from, but the V3 would not connect until I changed the strings in the RL to the ones that were in the phone. Of course, bluetooth and handsfreelink worked ok...just no connection with the dataserver.

The car had a dial string *99# isp.cingular and a user name ISP@CINGULARGPRS.COM. The password was correct. I changed these strings to the ones in the V3 by merely changing isp to wap in both strings, and was finally able to connect.

I still don't know if my V3 has the latest firmware and am working on that. Motorola support in Costa Rica told me that R374_G_OE.40.57R_A1 is the latest and greatest. The software in my newly purchased V3 is R374_G_OE.40.9CR. Finding someone who can colloborate this information has been impossible.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:00 AM
Intermediate

Hi...I have the V3 as well and would like it to connect. Where do you find the string in the V3 to rekey into the RL? It pairs fine, just disconnects everytime I attempt to connect to the AcuraServers. Thanks for any additional help.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:58 PM
Racer

Where do you find the string in the V3

Please read my caveat below...

In the V3 phone:

Go to settings:
1. web access;
2. web sessions;

in web sessions, listed are Cingular, MMS and new entry. Cingular was checked as default. with Cingular highlighted, hit the little settings button at top of key pad between the "exit" and "launch" buttons, select "edit" to view the string settings. Be careful and don't change anything in the phone, particularly if it has just been set up by the provider as mine had.

On this phone, there appeared to be two ISDN settings listed first and one for gprs down at the bottom of the menu. And, on my phone, scrolling up, instead of down, takes you first to the User Name and Password for the GPRS service. I looked at the grps settings and saw that they differed from what was in the car. So, I changed the car settings figuring the just purchased phone was properly set up for use with the current Cingular data service. I looked for the strings that were similar to the ones acurafox posted and that is what I changed in the car.

CAVEAT: During the period I worked on finding a solution for my inability to connect to the data server, I was not able to locate anyone with technical knowledge of the data server and how it is set up, particularly in relation with registering the Acura, to be absolutely sure that changing the strings in the car is ok. By the time I changed those strings in the Acura, I had spent almost 2 weeks calling one tech support number after another with Motorola, Cingular, Acura and the dealer, to no avail. I was getting desperate and would've tried anything at that point. My V3 is brand new, so changing the car settings made more sense than changing the phone. At my level of experience with this car, I have to have faith and assume that the successful connect message the car reported is correct and that all is OK otherwise with the Acura. But you know what can sometimes get between the u and the me in assume. <g>
Old 11-19-2005, 09:56 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by bluemule
on June 1, 2005, acurafox posted in thread entitled "finally sent outbound message to Acuralink Server!), a dial string, user name and password successfully used by his Ericsson phone with Cingular service to make a phone/data connection with the Acura Server.

I had a similar problem, but in my case, the newly purchased V3 Motorola was already programmed with the dial strings as posted by acurafox, but my '05 RL had different strings. I had a V505 paired with AT&T MMode service when I paired the V3 with Cingular. I don't know where the strings present in the car came from, but the V3 would not connect until I changed the strings in the RL to the ones that were in the phone. Of course, bluetooth and handsfreelink worked ok...just no connection with the dataserver.

The car had a dial string *99# isp.cingular and a user name ISP@CINGULARGPRS.COM. The password was correct. I changed these strings to the ones in the V3 by merely changing isp to wap in both strings, and was finally able to connect.

I still don't know if my V3 has the latest firmware and am working on that. Motorola support in Costa Rica told me that R374_G_OE.40.57R_A1 is the latest and greatest. The software in my newly purchased V3 is R374_G_OE.40.9CR. Finding someone who can colloborate this information has been impossible.
Bluemule thanks for the good post. My software is R374_G_OE.40.57R_A1, I get no battery display. For Acuralink, I had to change my dial string *99# isp.cingular to *99# wap.cingular in my RL and I was able to connect in no time like you suggested.
Does anyone know how to get the battery display to work on RAZV3.
Old 11-19-2005, 10:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
moved to bluetooth subforum
Old 06-26-2006, 07:25 PM
The Doctor

Hi all. I am taking delivery this Friday and I have a Cingular V3. Do I need the data option before I can connect to the Acuralink Server? The internet ability for my phone has been turned off by Cingular. Do I need to call cingular and resume my internet before I can connect to the Acuralink Server? Thanks!
Old 06-27-2006, 08:05 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by UW TL
Hi all. I am taking delivery this Friday and I have a Cingular V3. Do I need the data option before I can connect to the Acuralink Server? The internet ability for my phone has been turned off by Cingular. Do I need to call cingular and resume my internet before I can connect to the Acuralink Server? Thanks!
It's my understanding that you need internet capability to be able to connect to the data server...someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:49 AM
The Doctor

or I can just use the phone as a dial up modem using the free ISP service that has been mentioned here?

Originally Posted by bluemule
It's my understanding that you need internet capability to be able to connect to the data server...someone can correct me if I'm wrong.