CD & Track Titles

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 07:03 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CD & Track Titles

I just purchased a new 2005 RL. Love the car, but can't get the radio to display anything besides disc and track number. What do I need to do to display CD and Track titles?

Also, does the radio display RDS messages from FM stations? Or does it just display the frequency?

Thanks,
Old 01-12-2006, 08:13 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jcarey
I just purchased a new 2005 RL. Love the car, but can't get the radio to display anything besides disc and track number. What do I need to do to display CD and Track titles?

Also, does the radio display RDS messages from FM stations? Or does it just display the frequency?

Thanks,
Re: discs, to see track information you need either (a) an MP3 disc with track names burned on your computer, or (b) a CD with CD-TEXT enabled. A few store-bought CD's have the track information encoded on a special section of the disc, though 99% don't, so that all you'll see is Track 01, Track 02, etc; or you can make home-made text-enabled CD's with a burning program like Nero.

As for the AM/FM radio, it is not RDS capable, so you'll only see the frequency.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Congrats on the purchase I agree with what RLdriver said.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:17 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
As per RLdriver, I did the homemade thing and it does work. Song titles do appear in the radio display.
Old 01-22-2006, 03:04 PM
5th Gear

Success!

I tried buring MP3 CDs with Windows Media and couldn't find out how to include the CD Text on the CD. However, using Nero, I was able to include the Track Titles. i haven't played enough with it to know what info i can include, but i have now done it successfully using Nero.

Anyone know how to tell which store bought CDs have the information?
Old 01-23-2006, 06:52 AM
Racer

Thanks,
None of the DVDAudio I've acquired show track titles or CD. However, the two SACD disks I picked up do.

Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Concert, on Fantasy #FSA-4501-6
Eric Clapton, Slowhand, on Polydor #B0003639-36

Reckon when I upgrade my home stereo, I'll have to be sure and get a player that plays both.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:43 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by bluemule
None of the DVDAudio I've acquired show track titles or CD. However, the two SACD disks I picked up do.

Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Concert, on Fantasy #FSA-4501-6
Eric Clapton, Slowhand, on Polydor #B0003639-36

Reckon when I upgrade my home stereo, I'll have to be sure and get a player that plays both.
I didn't know that the RL plays SACD. Is this an 05 or 06? Thanks.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:58 AM
Intermediate

I tried buring MP3 CDs with Windows Media and couldn't find out how to include the CD Text on the CD. However, using Nero, I was able to include the Track Titles. i haven't played enough with it to know what info i can include, but i have now done it successfully using Nero.

Anyone know how to tell which store bought CDs have the information?
Winows Media Player does not have the capability to burn (or even read) CD-TEXT info as far as I know. I use Nero 7, and it works fine for CD Title and Track information, which is all that can be displayed on the RL and most CD-TEXT capable CD players. Note that unlike most CD players, the RL will not scroll text longer than aprpoxmimately 10 characters; longer titles will be truncated. This might be intentional though; scrolling titles might be too distracting while driving.

I'm not aware of any database of CD-TEXT discs. It's pretty random based on my own collection. All Super Audio CD's (whether hybrid or not, meaning irrespective of whether they have a standard CD layer) have CD-TEXT information. Though the RL unfortunately cannot play SACD's, it can and will play the standard CD layer encoded on hybrid SACD's, and all of these are text enabled.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:06 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AcuraRLBlue
I didn't know that the RL plays SACD. Is this an 05 or 06? Thanks.
The RL (both '05 and '06) will play HYBRID SACD's, which means they will play the standard CD layer encoded on those discs. They cannot play the stereo or multichannel SACD layer. Those discs labeled for use only in a SACD player will not play in the RL.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:50 AM
Racer

Thanks for the info. I have never tried SACD or DVD-audio. I do have a DTS encoded music dis which works in the RL. What is interesting is that you could copy a DTS just like a regular CD.