Car acting funny..

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 03:01 PM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car acting funny..

hey all,

Wife just called and told me that she's been noticing some strange events throughout the day.

The car would not lock, time would display 7PM when it's only 3PM, and the car would beep like when you step away from the car with your keys.. but this happens while shes driving.

Anyone else experience this? I'll be reprogramming her keys tonight and hope that'll reset it.

If anyone knows how to reset the settings, please let me know.

Thanks!
Old 11-10-2006, 04:09 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
The "usual" reset is to disconnect the cable from the negative battery terminal for about 3 or 4 minutes, then reconnect. That usually resets most of the computer-related stuff.

Otherwise, I'd get that sucker to the dealer as soon as possible.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:56 AM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

Disconnected the negative battery terminal, reset all settings, and still not fixed.

Just went out at 8:30AM and my clock stated it was 11:03. Reset the clock manually to 8:30 and restarted the car. Once restarted, the clock showed 11:03 once again!

Took her for a drive to see if the key not found message would pop up (which it didnt), but did notice the clock revert to the correct time.

Wondering if theres a dependency on the GPS to figure out what time zone we're in to make the clock work.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:01 AM
'06 RL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bkw
Wondering if theres a dependency on the GPS to figure out what time zone we're in to make the clock work.
The car clock is automatically set by the GPS. Probably just took a while for you to get a good satellite link.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:38 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by jftjr
The car clock is automatically set by the GPS. Probably just took a while for you to get a good satellite link.
Right - I believe the Nav has to go through the whole reacquisition process when power is cut, and that can take several minutes.

So is everything working okay now?
Old 11-11-2006, 10:29 AM
'06 RL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The bonus is, once you acquire GPS lock, you have super-accurate time setting in your car. The GPS location data is based on time.... and the GPS system works because each satellite has an atomic clock in it. So your RL clock will always be, wihin milliseconds, RIGHT.

That gives me a deep sense of nerdy fulfillment.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:37 PM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

The issue is still not resolved. The time is still off even when I know that there's clear GPS service.

Called the dealer for service, hope it's a simple fix.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:27 PM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

Update - had the dealer check it out, worked fine for a few days and now it appears that the time is still incorrect. It'll stay at the wrong time for about 3 minutes then reset itself to the right time eventually. It's pretty annoying when getting into your car and reading that it's 3PM when it's actually 1PM.

Thought it had to do with the Nav receiving GPS signal, but have proved that was not the case. Perhaps theres a battery somewhere that needs to be replaced?

Anyways, anyone else experiecing this problem?
Old 12-12-2006, 12:54 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The XM radio documentation says repeatedly that there are times when the link to the satellite can be broken by mountains, tall buildings, even trees. The satellite is in the southern sky and the farther north in the US the car is the more likely this issue is to occur. I wonder if your problem of an intermittent satellite link is related.

Where do you live? Are you near tall obstacles on the south side?
Old 12-12-2006, 01:24 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by ed111
The XM radio documentation says repeatedly that there are times when the link to the satellite can be broken by mountains, tall buildings, even trees. The satellite is in the southern sky and the farther north in the US the car is the more likely this issue is to occur. I wonder if your problem of an intermittent satellite link is related.

Where do you live? Are you near tall obstacles on the south side?
I don't think that is the issue otherwise your clock would incorrectly display everytime you parked in your garage or went into covered parking. The clock functions on it's own and probably calibrates itself everytime it syncs up with the satellite at start-up. During those times when the car is turned off, the clock should still be maintaining relatively accurate time.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:53 AM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

We live in westchester county, ny a suburb north of manhattan. We have zero problems with XM, and our GPS icon is always green.

The clock should have some sort of backup system to keep the time set. For example, a personal computer has a battery which allows it to continue to keep time rather than have it reset everytime the user plugs it in.

For some reason, my clock resets itself every time we start the car.. Kinda like a $50k groundhog day