Cannot play DVD-A disc

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006 | 10:17 AM
Racer

Cannot play DVD-A disc

There is a quadraphonic version of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon that a couple of the members of the forum have been working together to get for our RLs.

It has been very interesting to find out that while I can play the DVD-A disc in my RL, the others (shoppit and mwiles) have not been able to play it in theirs. As an experiment, I created DVD-A discs, made sure that they played my RL, and then mailed them to the others to test in theirs. These discs played in my car but did not play in theirs!!!!!

Obviously, the most logical explanation is that there is either different hardware or different software versions between our RLs.

We would like to cross-check the hardware and software versions in our cars, but do not know how to do this. Does anyone have any information on the versions of the audio system in the RLs. or have a friend or other source that could get this information?

Thanks

Pete
Old 12-08-2006 | 10:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Do the other members have '05's or '06's?
Old 12-08-2006 | 11:13 AM
Advanced

Mine is an 06, manufactured 05/06 according to the sticker on the pillar between driver/passenger doors. Mine does not play the disk.
Old 12-08-2006 | 04:11 PM
Advanced

I also have an 06, bought this past October and I think it was built around August, but I need to check that. The disc does not register in my player; the number keeps blinking on the dash and nav displays. I know someone a couple towns away with an 05 RL that I will test when I have a moment.
Old 12-08-2006 | 09:27 PM
Racer

Just checked my 05. It was an early one, built in 09/04.
Old 12-12-2006 | 05:43 PM
Advanced

So maybe the 06 models are more finicky than the 05's.

I am still trying different tricks. I purchased some DVD+RW disks today and have burned another one. At least I can reformat these and not keep making coasters. I am hoping there might be a difference in reflectivity or something else that will allow these to work. My wife is out in the RL right now, so I can't test until later.
Old 12-12-2006 | 05:49 PM
Racer

I tried to contact someone who posted a while ago, who worked for Bose and claimed he knew the system well, but so far no response

Given that the disc that I shipped you played in my RL, I do not have much hope that the disc itself is at fault (but it's worth checking).

Pete
Old 12-13-2006 | 06:03 PM
Advanced

The burn to DVD+RW did not work either, using the iso file or a copy of your disk, but at least I was able to reuse the disk as I tried different approaches.

But I did come up with something that works.

After looking at quite a few threads in the TL forums and trying different things, I ended up using DVD Audio Extractor to extract the DTS files to 5.1 channel Wav files, then used DVD-Audio Solo to author and burn the DVD-Audio disk. The disk does not play in any of my PC's or in my home unit, but plays in the RL.

This sounds great in the RL, but I notice some background noise at the end of track 5 when the volume is up. I am trying the process again using the Dolby digital tracks.
Old 12-13-2006 | 11:46 PM
Racer

So the good news is that you now have the audio working, although we still don't know why the initial DVD-A played in my car and not yours.

I checked fort he noise at the end of track 5, and I heard a rumbling mainly from the rear speakers just before the cash registers start up. Is this what you heard?

I also have noticed a noise as the disc first starts, before the "I've been mad..." bit come in.

I think the noise that you are hearing is on the tracks and there might not be much you can do about it.

Congrats on getting something to play

Pete
Old 12-14-2006 | 12:36 AM
Advanced

That is the noise I heard, and it is in the dolby track also. It's just that the RL is so quiet inside, especially sitting in the driveway, that you hear some things like this!

I burned another disk, with both the Dolby and DTS versions on it to see if I can compare side by side. I put the DTS tracks in a second "group", but I don't know how to switch groups on the RL. I've seen something about this on some of the TL threads, for switching when you need to put more than 99 tracks on a disk - so you use separate groups. There is some button press like scan and something, but I can't find that tonight. Do you know how to do this?
Old 12-15-2006 | 12:00 AM
Advanced

I've been away from this for a few days. I tried your DVD+R disc and the DVD-R I burned in my Denon 2200 universal player and both registered as DVD-Audio discs. Neither will work in my car. I still intent to test both in an 05 RL, when I get a chance.

mwiles, I tried something similar that did not work, although I didn't use DVD-Audio Solo to do the burn. I couldn't find much DVD-Audio info on the net.
Old 12-15-2006 | 01:04 AM
Advanced

Shoppit,

I downloaded DVD-Audio Solo from the developer's web site, www.cirlinca.com. I am using it in "free trial" mode, good for 30 days or 5 disks. On my second disk, I just used it to author the project to an iso file, then burned it to a DVD+R with Nero. So basically, this software is creating the required directory structure, with an empty VIDEO_TS directory and an AUDIO_TS directory with the necessary ifo and vob files.
Old 12-17-2006 | 08:50 PM
Advanced

And for those of us that are true Pink Floyd fans .... Autographed Pulse Eyeballs

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PINK-FLOYD-EYE...em180064069417

Anyone want to pool a few grand and get into the auction? If I've done my 'gazintas' right, I think they're about $32k US right now.
Old 01-15-2007 | 03:44 PM
Intermediate

'06 (mfg 10/05) here has only played Acura/Bose demo disc. Display indicates D-audio but nothing more happens. Two-sided disc - purple side up for DVD-Audio. Dealer couldn't get disc to play either. Disc plays in home DVD units and computers A-OK.

Be aware; "Mannheim Steamroller meets the Mouse", 61093-9.
Old 01-16-2007 | 06:56 PM
Intermediate

Update on DVD-Audio disc

Originally Posted by Ray C.
'06 (mfg 10/05) here has only played Acura/Bose demo disc. Display indicates D-audio but nothing more happens. Two-sided disc - purple side up for DVD-Audio. Dealer couldn't get disc to play either. Disc plays in home DVD units and computers A-OK.

Be aware; "Mannheim Steamroller meets the Mouse", 61093-9.
Response from American Gramaphone (MS recording company) today;

"There is a format problem with the Mannheim Steamroller meets the Mouse DVD with the Acura automobiles.
The DVD was manufactured by Disney and there is some problem with only Acura’s stereo system.
We have heard from many Acura owners."

Will pursue this with Acura's USA. Appreciate any history/comments.
Old 03-17-2013 | 09:30 AM
10th Gear

I know I'm resurrecting an ancient thread here, but this seems to be the best source I can find. I have an 06 RL and I'm trying to get the Pink Floyd DSOTM 4.1 mix to play (the one they're talking about in this thread). I've tried a bunch of different combinations of disc types (+R, -R, +RW) and two different burners, but nothing seems to work.

Has anyone confirmed whether the 06 RL can actually read burned DVD-Audio discs? It sounds like it does, from above, but it is finicky, and maybe it depends on your date of manufacture.