Bought 2 DVD-A's

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 03:32 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Bought 2 DVD-A's

I ordered Santana Supernatural and The Police (Classics) off Amazon and received them over the weekend. The Police sounds really good but the Santana sounds amazing and I highly recommend it. Any other favorites that I should try?
Old 01-12-2009, 04:34 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love the srround but wish it played SACD as well as DVD-A.

Here are my DVD-A favorites: The Beatles - LOVE, Steely Dan - Gaucho, The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, Neal Young- Harvest Moon, Sting - Nothing like the sun
Old 01-12-2009, 04:46 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would love to get some dvd-a disc but i don't like any of the titles available. Can i get them anywhere else than amazon that might have a greater selection?
Old 01-12-2009, 05:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
I got my Santana from eBay. Of course, I wanted Dark Side of the Moon, but holy shiticaca is that over the top $$!
Old 01-13-2009, 10:50 PM
rtr
RL owner

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
i just made my first dvd-a disc and it has 97 tracks sounds very good.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:21 AM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
I've read about a few people burning their own while searching on this site. I guess I became a bit confused. I would love to burn a disc of my own, can you tell me how you did it?
Old 01-17-2009, 11:08 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Eagles - Hell Freezes Over is also an excellent album that showcases the surround sound.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:52 PM
Cruisin'

I just ordered several DVD-A discs from amazon and am disappointed with selection too. If you are patient, apple may soon help us with this problem and we'll be able to burn DVD-As at home. http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2009/0...ofer-appl.html
Old 01-17-2009, 01:04 PM
Cruisin'

This link looks useful:

http:///forums/f38/burning-dvd-dual-...oftware-63008/
Old 01-18-2009, 08:46 PM
6th Gear

Just got back from Best Buy and only select BB stores even stock DVD-A. They only had Supernatural and Marvin Gay Compilation. Santana sounds awesome.. Found link for must have DVD-A review.
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6462_7-5125589-2.html

I'll order Frank Zappa and check it out. I'll post back once I get it.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Of those on that review list, I've got Santana and Dr. Chesky. The second is a novelty disc you might enjoy once and then put away forever.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:36 AM
Instructor

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours is an absolute MUST, in my opinion, if you want to discover the difference a DVD-A makes. Reason: we've heard these songs so many times that its fun to discover all the nuanced sounds/instruments in the background that we've never heard before. Just got The Eagles: Hotel California via eBay and it is good, but doesn't open any new doors, as far as enjoying the music.

My second favorite DVD-A is The Beatles: Love.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:07 PM
Racer

The best selection of DVD-audio disks are at these two vendors:

http://store.acousticsounds.com/dvdaudio.cfm

http://www.musicdirect.com/category/3

My personal faves:

Donald Fagan: The Nightfly (probably the best DVD-A I have heard to date, but unfortunately OOP)
Alan Parsons Project: I, Robot (back in print from Classic Records)
Jackson Browne: Running on Empty
Steely Dan: Gaucho
Fleetwood Mac: Rumours
Old 01-19-2009, 09:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Talking Heads -- Remain in Light. Positively crackles (in a good way). I got the whole "Talking Heads Brick (DualDisc)", but Remain in Light really shines (for me).

The Police disk is so-so. I also found The Who's Tommy, which is pretty good, but the mix is pretty dry.

Rob144
Old 01-27-2009, 12:40 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Boyz II Men "II" DTS CD is awesome as well.
http://www.cduniverse.com/productinf...cart=838386600
Make sure it's "DTS" surround sound CD.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
You all realize DVD-A is dead and has been for about five years, don't you? I haven't bought a DVD-A since 2004 and the selections you describe above are from roughly that timeframe. In fact, I've never played a DVD-A in my RL. I was an early adopter--the 3G TL, my previous car, was the first car to have it, and once I sampled DVD-A it led me to purchase a surround sound system for my home. I would have been willing to buy all my music in DVD-A format but then the iPod came along.....

....and now, those whose idea of audio perfection is at 128 kbps (e.g. mp3 users) have won the war. Audiophiles such as myself are resorting to the lossless formats on an iPod. I'm in the process of re-ripping my CDs in Apple Lossless format to get the best quality possible out of this digital format.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:56 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
yes - isn't it amazing that we have all this surround sound technology and spend big bucks on speakers (in home and car) and the source sound (mp3) is so inferior
There's a noticeable difference between XM and just regular CD quality.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by neuronbob
You all realize DVD-A is dead and has been for about five years, don't you?
Yes, and we note how the darn discs have become "collector priced". It is good audio, but a hundy for Pink Floyd or Neil Young ain't gonna cut it here.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by Ballinger
Yes, and we note how the darn discs have become "collector priced". It is good audio, but a hundy for Pink Floyd or Neil Young ain't gonna cut it here.

Luckily, I have the DSOTM SACD and purchased it shortly after release, so I didn't pay that much for it.

Listening to "Money" in my family room's 5.1 setup......priceless. Aaaaaaah....
Old 02-04-2009, 02:34 PM
Cruisin'

Pink FLoyd Dark Side DVD-A?

There is no DVD-A of DSOTM, but there is a DTS-CD

Is unreal! It's the original quad mix that Alan Parsons did orinally when the album was recordedt hat was never used. It's ten times better then the crap mix Guthrie did for the SACD, an best of all its free. You can only download it and burn it to a CD-R, which works fine in an RL.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:29 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by connolley

Is unreal! It's the original quad mix that Alan Parsons did orinally when the album was recordedt hat was never used. It's ten times better then the crap mix Guthrie did for the SACD, an best of all its free. You can only download it and burn it to a CD-R, which works fine in an RL.
Can you provide the link for the free download?
Old 02-04-2009, 03:45 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Too bad this is a dead format. A good friend of mine just copied me a DVD-A version of Dark Side of the Moon. I'd definitely buy more if the selection wasnt so bad.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:24 AM
Safety Car

check out this site:
http://www.5point1.com/index2.html
Old 02-09-2009, 02:33 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Gabe15
Too bad this is a dead format. A good friend of mine just copied me a DVD-A version of Dark Side of the Moon. I'd definitely buy more if the selection wasnt so bad.
It's as dead as vinyl, which has managed to survive despite the numerous eulogies in the press over the last couple of decades-I remember reading about the death of vinyl back in the mid-80s. The market is definitely smaller but is actually having a resurgence-the vinyl pressing plants still in business (RTI in Camarillo, CA is one) seem to have no trouble finding customers for their service. Heck, even the big boys are getting back into the mix-I bought a Capitol reissue of The Band's "Music From Big Pink" on 180 gram vinyl At Costco (!) last fall.

SACD, DTS and DVD-A are niche markets, like Apple, which seems to be doing just fine with their "paltry" 5-7 percent PC market share, so I wouldn't write them off just yet. One of the most active Usenet newsgroups I subscribe to is a group dedicated to multichannel "upmixes" of stereo recordings to DTS and DVD-A (some are spectacular and are unavailable except in these custom forms, like the aforementioned DSOTM quad DVD-A and many more), so there is even a DIY market for multichannel audio. I think Mark Twain's quote is apropos here: "rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated".
Old 02-10-2009, 07:52 AM
Michigan Wolverines Fan

Anyone know where to find these besides the site listed above?
Old 02-10-2009, 08:32 AM
Burning Brakes

I know a few places that I found by typing DVD-A into Google. One of them is called e-Bay and it's got a number of discs listed at any given time.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:13 AM
5th Gear

My favorite DVD-A disks based upon the music are Automatic for the People and Hotel California. My best sounding DVD-A is Linkin Park's Reanimation. It's a great mix and really shows off the DVD-A format.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:35 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by neuronbob
You all realize DVD-A is dead and has been for about five years, don't you? I haven't bought a DVD-A since 2004 and the selections you describe above are from roughly that timeframe. In fact, I've never played a DVD-A in my RL. I was an early adopter--the 3G TL, my previous car, was the first car to have it, and once I sampled DVD-A it led me to purchase a surround sound system for my home. I would have been willing to buy all my music in DVD-A format but then the iPod came along.....

....and now, those whose idea of audio perfection is at 128 kbps (e.g. mp3 users) have won the war. Audiophiles such as myself are resorting to the lossless formats on an iPod. I'm in the process of re-ripping my CDs in Apple Lossless format to get the best quality possible out of this digital format.
mp3...ugh.

I've never have been able to understand why anyone would want to purchase mp3's...or even listen to them. I grew up striving to get the best sound possible from whatever format was in use.

I recently bought a new Dell laptop with XP preinstalled. I'm ripping to FLAC (a lossless format) using EAC with AutoFlac and playing back using either jRiver or Foobar with ASIO4all to bypass the onboard windows kmixer. Works pretty well. I plan on getting another laptop soon and will opt for the biggest hard drive available and fastest processor...backing up the music on 2 external hard drives at the moment.

Still learning about all this...I'll bet Apple lossless is easier to use!!

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/ea...torial-402765/

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/as...nation-221237/

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/

Last edited by bluemule; 02-10-2009 at 06:38 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:44 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by bluemule
mp3...ugh.

I've never have been able to understand why anyone would want to purchase mp3's...or even listen to them. I grew up striving to get the best sound possible from whatever format was in use.

I recently bought a new Dell laptop with XP preinstalled. I'm ripping to FLAC (a lossless format) using EAC with AutoFlac and playing back using either jRiver or Foobar with ASIO4all to bypass the onboard windows kmixer. Works pretty well. I plan on getting another laptop soon and will opt for the biggest hard drive available and fastest processor...backing up the music on 2 external hard drives at the moment.

Still learning about all this...I'll bet Apple lossless is easier to use!!

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/ea...torial-402765/

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/as...nation-221237/

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/

Agree with you, there's no good audio reason to listen to mp3s. Its the portability!
Thus, there is no good reason to listen to mp3s on home systems!
Very few reasons to listen to mp3 on high end car systems
Lots of reasons to listen to mp3s while jogging, hiking, ...
Old 02-20-2009, 04:17 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by acurafox

My personal faves:

Donald Fagan: The Nightfly (probably the best DVD-A I have heard to date, but unfortunately OOP)

Were you able to get Nightfly by itself in DVD-A. I checked the sites you referenced above but it seems that Nightlfy comes w/Morph the Cat and others.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:31 AM
Instructor

Careful of some of those package deals on eBay for the Donald Fagen set.

Every review I've read has said that those are NOT DVD-A disks...they're some other enhanced format (can't remember what it was called right now) and they won't play as DVD-A in the RL...
Old 02-20-2009, 05:42 AM
Instructor

From Amazon reviews:

"I was very disappointed last night when I finally had my first chance to sample these disks. I was under the impression that these were DVD-A disks - but that's not the case. The highest quality version in surround mode is only DTS 5.1 sound and not the ultra HQ dvd-a that could be found on earlier DVD-A releases of these disks. No wonder the DVD-A was such a commercial failure, I mean with all the confusion involved in the labeling of the audio formats. My beef here is not at all with the music, which is excellent, but the shock of ho-hum DTS audio."

"A minor caveat is that none of the disks will play on a DVD-Audio player (unlike the last DVD-Audio version of Morph the Cat and other Steely Dan recent albums), so I can't play the disks in the multi-changer in the car, I have to use the DVD-Video single disk interface. But I wonder these days if DVD-Audio is dead anyway, as both Alan Parsons and Donald Fagen have gone to DVD-Video recently..."

"The MVI format is very cool and probably more stable than SACD or DVD-A. However, as nice as this box set is, there are no liner notes."

So be careful. There ARE DVD-A versions of the disks out there, individually, but don't get the trilogy set. I believe the format is MVI format DVDs, which will supposedly play on computers with a DVD and offers a lot of extra content, are still a hit with most...but you'd be disappointed if you bought them to listen to in your car.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:51 PM
Advanced

I've created a few dvd-a's from dvd's that have DTS 5.1 channels. You have to use software to extract the 5.1 audio, then create the dvd-a. Nirvana Unplugged sounds awesome. I agree that Supernatural is probably one of the best you'll find out there.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 846 Posts
Would anyone be willing to sell/share a version that they've created for the technically challenged?
Old 03-11-2009, 03:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Well, I just ordered Gaucho from an eBay seller, but I am continually bummed out over how expensive these discs are!
Old 04-13-2009, 04:53 PM
Burning Brakes

I now own a few more of these DVD-A's...

--Steely Dan "Gaucho": those reviews weren't kidding-- this one uses a lot of well-crafted surround effects. Killer disc if you like the music.

--Santana, "Supernatural": great album, real good 5.1 sound.

--The Doors, "The Soft Parade": great ablum, good 5.1 sound, but not nearly as dramatic with the center voice presence as with the Gaucho album.

--Neil Young, "Harvest": another good album, with spectacular depth to the audio image. Shouldn't this be renamed "Neil Really Old"?

--Blue Man Group, "The Complex": since I regularly wear similar, blue grease paint, this is both inspirational and helps with the public when the windows are down or in the fast food order line... er, okay this one has good sounds and surround effects.

--Eagles, Hell Freezes Over: good album, deep sound texture in this version.

I've been buying the discs used on the 'bay. Better deals and I don't care if someone else listened or the package isn't perfect.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by gdevine
Were you able to get Nightfly by itself in DVD-A. I checked the sites you referenced above but it seems that Nightlfy comes w/Morph the Cat and others.
I got it awhile ago when it was available by itself-I didn't realize that it was currently available only as part of a set. There are several copies on eBay, but they are pretty pricey (ie, some are more than the 3 disk set, which makes no sense).
Old 08-10-2009, 09:57 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by connolley

Well damn, I just ordered it from Amazon thinking the SACD would work in my 05 RL. Guess I'll have to send it back...
Old 08-23-2009, 03:35 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by acurafox

My personal faves:

I got the Trilogy pack that includes The Nightfly, Morph the Cat, etc. It has two disc, CD and DVD-A but the DVD-A will not play in the Acura.

Is there a DVD-A for The Nightfly that you can buy separately that will play in the Acura
Old 08-23-2009, 09:33 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by gdevine
I got the Trilogy pack that includes The Nightfly, Morph the Cat, etc. It has two disc, CD and DVD-A but the DVD-A will not play in the Acura.

Is there a DVD-A for The Nightfly that you can buy separately that will play in the Acura
Shame you didn't read my post from 2/20/09, a few posts up from yours!

Yes, The Nightfly is available as an actual DVD-A...as is Kamakiriad and Morph the Cat. I have two of the three...

Quick Reply: Bought 2 DVD-A's