Backup Camera Install - Using the 2007 Tech Style Camera

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 05:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chas2
I think the question may go a little deeper. All 2006, and all 2007-8 Base Models have no camera. 2007-8 Tech and CMBS models come with a camera standard.

The 2006 camera was a dealer installed option, which installs in the original trunk button area. The 2007-08 Base models apparently use the same setup.

The 2007-8 Tech models offset installation preserves the large center mounted trunk button, and is more consistent with other Acura and Honda OEM camera mounts.

I believe this thread all started because 2006 owners and 2007-08 Base model owners were interested in duplicating the offset installation. Now that the factory engineered offset mounting solution was available, how hard would that be to implement in the 2006 or 2007-08 base models?

The answer is, of course, pretty difficult and expensive. Whereas the regular center mount retrofit kit costs about $400 plus a $300 install fee, implementing the offset mounting solution requires cutting a hole in the trunk, ordering a new color keyed license trim kit which has the proper offset camera mounting hole, and different camera mounting kits, although the camera itself may be the same. And another problem is that the 2007-08 Tech Package camera and mounting kits do not include the proper wiring harness to hook into the 2006 or 2007-08 Base Model wiring harnesses.

So that is what I get out of this thread--it is not too switch out an existing installation, but to see if you could duplicate a newer mounting solution if you did not have a camera already installed in a 2006 or 2007-08 Base model, and wanted one.

That is my

NICE SUMMARY! Only other point you missed was the tinkering factor that motivated me to go where no one had gone before, just as was the case when I first did the Base to NAV conversion.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:15 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Yes, I bow down to your tinkering ability!
Old 10-26-2008, 01:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts
This is a wonderful thread for people who like to put personal touch on their rides. I myself is about to embark on this mod also. I have the 06 camera kit and camera with 07 licence plate trim with camera opening. can anyone tell me where does the camera mount on to? thanks anyone for helping
Old 10-26-2008, 07:10 PM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

you have different choices....what I did was remove my trunk switch and installed the camera in its place. If you have the factory 06 kit, it will bolt right in. Then you should also have a small switch that you can mount on the right hand side of the trunk lid to enable you to push the button right there to open....if you don't have the instructions with the kit it is available on line...(I think in the acurazine website archives)...Now what 2007AcuraRL did, he custom cut his trunk lid. Its not real easy to mark, cut with a drill and a dremel tool. The trunk is made of aluminum (wont rust). the license plate trim won't come off easy. There are a couple of small "E" clips pressed over plastic pins that extend from the back of the trim plate through the aluminum deck lid (trunk) in addition to 3 attached nuts. (I think)
Old 10-27-2008, 12:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by psheu
This is a wonderful thread for people who like to put personal touch on their rides. I myself is about to embark on this mod also. I have the 06 camera kit and camera with 07 licence plate trim with camera opening. can anyone tell me where does the camera mount on to? thanks anyone for helping

The photos are down from the thread but maybe I can find them again and re-upload them so you can see what this mod was about. You cant use the 06 camera to mount in the 07 location. The mounting tab on the camera frame is different for the 06 and 07 cameras. The camera itself would mount to the trunk lid with a single screw and you'd drill a small hole in the lid for it to pass through next to the hole you'd cut for the camera to stick through. I used a stainless steel screw and bolt along with a small rubber washer to mount it. The license plate trim bezel just fits back on (a few 1/4" bolts hold it in place) and the camera basically just pokes through the bezel (the camera doesnt actually mount to the bezel).

Also, if you did want to get an '07 camera for this mod, I used to have the template saved someplace that I made in advance to know the exact spot to cut on the trunk, but after a few months without any takers I'm not sure what I did with it.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:40 PM
Burning Brakes

thank you 2007AcuraRL, i'm also wondering if they make different trunk for the tech and non-tech version of RL. there have gotta be a place where the 07 Tech RL mount the camera. I'll post some picture of the trim later tonite. you are right about there are not monthing spot on the 07 chrome trim. Just curious about the 07 camera mount. thank you again

Originally Posted by 2007AcuraRL
The photos are down from the thread but maybe I can find them again and re-upload them so you can see what this mod was about. You cant use the 06 camera to mount in the 07 location. The mounting tab on the camera frame is different for the 06 and 07 cameras. The camera itself would mount to the trunk lid with a single screw and you'd drill a small hole in the lid for it to pass through next to the hole you'd cut for the camera to stick through. I used a stainless steel screw and bolt along with a small rubber washer to mount it. The license plate trim bezel just fits back on (a few 1/4" bolts hold it in place) and the camera basically just pokes through the bezel (the camera doesnt actually mount to the bezel).

Also, if you did want to get an '07 camera for this mod, I used to have the template saved someplace that I made in advance to know the exact spot to cut on the trunk, but after a few months without any takers I'm not sure what I did with it.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Also, what year camera did u use? 06 or 07? thank you again

Old 10-27-2008, 07:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

thank you 2007AcuraRL, i'm also wondering if they make different trunk for the tech and non-tech version of RL. there have gotta be a place where the 07 Tech RL mount the camera. I'll post some picture of the trim later tonite. you are right about there are not monthing spot on the 07 chrome trim. Just curious about the 07 camera mount. thank you again

Yes there are two different trunk lids for the '07 and '08 RL; one for the base RL without a camera and the other for the Tech version of the car that comes with the camera factory installed. My mod essentially makes the same hole that the Tech trunk lid has.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Also, what year camera did u use? 06 or 07? thank you again
I used the camera for the '07 (or '08). Unlike the 06 camera which you can find selling sometimes on ebay, since it was meant to sell as a dealer installed ad-on for the car, the '07 camera was never sold as an upgrade kit since the car either came with the camera or there was no hole to mount it into (as the case with the base 07 RL). The trunk lid for the base 07 RL is the same as the lid that came on the 05-06 RL. The 07 camera has to be ordered as a replacement part from Acura parts counter and its expensive at over $500.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Thank you for the detailed info 2007AcuraRL, you did a great job in making the opening in the trunk. It looks really clean. Do you still have the template to create the Trunk lid opening? How do you know exactly where to cut? Thank you again for your help

Yes there are two different trunk lids for the '07 and '08 RL; one for the base RL without a camera and the other for the Tech version of the car that comes with the camera factory installed. My mod essentially makes the same hole that the Tech trunk lid has.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thank you for the detailed info 2007AcuraRL, you did a great job in making the opening in the trunk. It looks really clean. Do you still have the template to create the Trunk lid opening? How do you know exactly where to cut? Thank you again for your help
I havent located my template. You can make the template by (a) carefully measuring (I used a micrometer but any good ruler will do) and triming a piece of paper with an xacto knife so it just fits snugly all around the perimeter of the camera; (b) trim down around the outside of the stencil so that you leave maybe an inch border extending all around your cut out stencil (this will give you an edge to tape the stencil to the trunk while allowing the stencil to be small eough to maneuver around at step "d" below; (c) mark the dead center of the camera opening on the trunk lid by temporarily installing the '07 camera trim facia back on the car, looking through the camera "turret " and mark the center of the hole on the trunk lid with a pencil or marker; (d) remove the facia and position your stencil on the trunk lid in relation to the center point you marked, lightly tape the stencil in place and then put the facia back on and again look through the camera turret to see if your template is lined up all around the edges of the turret, making any final position adjustments to the stencil before taping the stencil down all around the edges in preparation for the trunk lid cutting. As an extra step, I took my paper template and turned it into a cardboard template before step "d" since the paper is easier to work when doing the initial camera cut out shape but cardboard is more durable than paper when it comes to actually using the template for cutting the metal. I used thin flexible cardboard from a tissue box.

Last edited by 2007AcuraRL; 10-30-2008 at 08:30 PM.
Old 10-31-2008, 03:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Thank you again 2007AcuraRL, I'm going to see if I can mount the 06 camera in the 07's place. I've got the attachment kit and the camera itself. I guess I can use the mounting bracket as a template and see if it'll workout. I'll keep everyone posted. thank you again, you r the best

I havent located my template. You can make the template by (a) carefully measuring (I used a micrometer but any good ruler will do) and triming a piece of paper with an xacto knife so it just fits snugly all around the perimeter of the camera; (b) trim down around the outside of the stencil so that you leave maybe an inch border extending all around your cut out stencil (this will give you an edge to tape the stencil to the trunk while allowing the stencil to be small eough to maneuver around at step "d" below; (c) mark the dead center of the camera opening on the trunk lid by temporarily installing the '07 camera trim facia back on the car, looking through the camera "turret " and mark the center of the hole on the trunk lid with a pencil or marker; (d) remove the facia and position your stencil on the trunk lid in relation to the center point you marked, lightly tape the stencil in place and then put the facia back on and again look through the camera turret to see if your template is lined up all around the edges of the turret, making any final position adjustments to the stencil before taping the stencil down all around the edges in preparation for the trunk lid cutting. As an extra step, I took my paper template and turned it into a cardboard template before step "d" since the paper is easier to work when doing the initial camera cut out shape but cardboard is more durable than paper when it comes to actually using the template for cutting the metal. I used thin flexible cardboard from a tissue box.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:09 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
after 30 mins, the parts manager and i were able to identify the 07 molding which can be ordered in your specific color code.

part number is 74890 sja 702zf
located under electrical/exhaust taillight/license light section
dealer quoted me 179.
you have to make sure you choose or select the TECH package
Old 11-03-2012, 12:00 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The install pics r gone. Anyway to get them back?
Old 11-06-2012, 02:17 AM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
yikes ! from 4 years ago !
Old 11-06-2012, 08:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,043 Likes on 848 Posts
probably not unless OP still has them.

Thanks for searching.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:56 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have to wake this thread up!! Does anyone know if theres a camera i can install in my 08 RL that would enable me to get the guidance line feature in my backup camera?? Any suggestion is welcomed.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:20 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know if these cameras are adjustable for picture quality in any way? My 07 with Tech. Package has a dark, blurry picture. It does not even compare with the picture of the screen in my 06 motorhome and both of those are much worse than the one on my wife's new CRV which is great in every way.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:57 PM
Suzuka Master

no
Old 10-15-2013, 09:19 PM
Racer

Still looking for a camera with guidelines that is compatible with 06 nave setup. Looking for a plug and play without any additional mods. I REALLY WANT THE GUIDELINES.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:49 AM
Suzuka Master

what kind of cable is the video input?
Old 10-16-2013, 10:02 AM
Racer

I Have a 2008 base model with a 2006 tech nav DVD unit. I have the 06 camera setup and now I see a 2008 camera which has the guidelines. My question is will the 08 camera plug and play with the 06 nave unit?? I plan on having the dealer do the install. I'll try to post pics of the camera I plan to buy.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:03 AM
Racer

Old 10-16-2013, 11:40 AM
Suzuka Master

I got nothing.

Not Found

The requested URL /forums/webkit-fake-url://D3FF81B9-3ED1-4D5D-80A8-585F9D312A7F/imagepng was not found on this server.
Apache Server at rl.acurazine.com Port 80

Sorry I didnt see your other post, my problem is I've only dealt with the NavTool.

But its an easy answer if we can find out what the video input cable is and how the screen activates.

On the NavTool its a yellow RCA video cable in and a 12v signal.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:09 PM
Suzuka Master

ok, so I did some research for you, which is out of my norm , it looks like this guy has it figured out for the OEM cam into the unit.

The same would have to be done for an aftermarket cam, i.e. splicing the wires and supplying the 12v.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/06-08-rl-stock-camera-work-well-07-08-tl-navi-847787/ - I cant see the pics so I'm not sure if they are working.

You have three options here as I see it.

1. save a few dollars on the camera and get the grid lines, but pay for the techs time to splice it in.
2. Buy the OE camera and trade off the lines and have a plug and play set up.
3. Buy the NavTool hahaha.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:21 PM
Racer

heavy here are the pics of the 08 camera. http://pho.to/3x5th

It comes with the guidelines and I already have the 06 camera installed by dealer. Would this one be able to plug into the wiring hardest that is already connected to the 06 camera.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:36 PM
Suzuka Master

I'll check this out when I get home.

internet use policy restricts access
to this page at this time

Category: Media Sharing

URL: http://pho.to/3x5th
Old 10-16-2013, 01:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,248 Likes on 4,859 Posts
You need to take a picture of the plug on your 06 camera. That will tell all. I am 99% certain it will work because the drive did not change before 2009.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:31 PM
Racer

I am unable to take a pic of the 06 camera because it is already installed and I don't feel comfortable taking anything apart on the car. It was dealer install using the OEM dealer whirring kit.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:32 PM
Racer

Also..... Would that 08 camera be able to be mounted in the center of the trunk lid where the 06 camera is currently located. I think I like it there better
Old 10-16-2013, 03:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,248 Likes on 4,859 Posts
Without you being able to take out the current camera to compare with, I have a feeling you won't find a sure answer. I hope the right person comes along and proves me wrong, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:11 PM
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by lpmobilewood
Does anyone know if these cameras are adjustable for picture quality in any way? My 07 with Tech. Package has a dark, blurry picture. It does not even compare with the picture of the screen in my 06 motorhome and both of those are much worse than the one on my wife's new CRV which is great in every way.
If you have the OEM camera setup then you can adjust the lighting of the picture quality by simply turning the NAV knob clockwise (lighter) or counter-clockwise (darker). I did it to mines and no complaints here.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:10 PM
4th Gear

Mount kit no longer available - anywhere!

I just purchased a 2006 RL (my fifth Acura: three Legends and now two RLs) and want to install the backup camera for the wife. I have read as much as I can find, but not sure how to proceed now that the Acura mounting kit is no longer available (08B21-SJA-200). Any help would be appreciated. Would like to keep it simple! Thanks.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:39 AM
4th Gear

Okay, I've done a lot more digging and have found several options for aftermarket cameras mounted in alternative locations. I am now comfortable that I can mount a camera adequately without the actual kit from Acura. What I have yet to nail down is how to wire an aftermarket camera (leaning toward the Taotronics TT-CC04 - anyone used this camera?) into the 06 Navi unit - assuming that this is even possible. The Unit shows 6 pins, including Brown and Blue/Black that the aftermarket camera does not have. Are there compatibility issues that require the use of the Acura Camera (08A21-6H2-360)? This camera would be harder to mount, but it has the extra wires if they are truly needed. Still trying to find more information about the wiring. Thanks.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:44 AM
Suzuka Master

sounds like you are on the right track, all cameras are wired differently but the 06 takes it one way, so more than likely you will have to buy the camera that fits the car.

you are on the right track to understanding the wires.
The following users liked this post:
mdennison (11-16-2013)
Old 02-03-2014, 10:20 PM
7th Gear

I purchased an '06 RL and after my first backing experience decided that a backup system was needed due to the high trunk line. My dealer wouldn't even discuss installation. With research I was able to locate the camera but, as noted, the mounting kit is no longer available. Now I'm looking at the license plate mounted cameras that could be connected to the factory connections. This discussion has been very enlightening as to what to consider.
Old 05-08-2020, 03:50 PM
Intermediate

Is anyone still around that participated in this thread? All of the pictures and wiring diagrams are missing .

thanks!