Backup Camera Install - Using the 2007 Tech Style Camera

Old 03-05-2008, 02:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Backup Camera Install - Using the 2007 Tech Style Camera

So here's photos showing how I did the installation of a 2007 Tech back-up camera into my RL. As some of you know by now I have a Base RL that I converted to NAV. I wanted to also add the back up camera, but simply installing the '06 camera would be too easy, and besides, I didnt want to give up the center mounted trunk release (which is where the '06 camera gets mounted.) By contrast, the '07 camera mounts off to the left side using a special rear trunk garnish piece. The allows the trunk release to stay center mounted. The trick to mounting an '07 camera is twofold: First, unlike the '06 camera which was sold as as an upgrade accessory and therefore comes with a wiring harness, there is no wiring harness supplied with the '07 camera. Second, mounting the '07 camera requires cutting a hole into the trunk lid since the camera does not attach to the garnish but rather mounts from inside the trunk. Fair enough challenge since the '07 camera does not come with any sort of template showing where to drill the hole (Remember, the '07 camera comes standard on the Tech and CMBS models and isn't sold with the intention of being an add on accessory. Presumably Acura expects any '06 RL owners desiring to add a camera to upgrade using the '06 camera.)

The first challenge was making a wiring harness. Because I bought an entire NAV pull, I had all the wiring harnesses for the system. Well, all wires that is, EXCEPT the harness for the camera. Fortunately one of my friends here on the Acurazine site (Thank you Larry!) supplied me with some very nice shielded 5 standed wire. I found 2 plugs within the mess of wire that came with my NAV pull that matched the sockets I needed to connect. There are 2 plugs that you will need to install the camera - one that plugs into the back of the NAV unit, and the other which plugs into the short pigtail harness that hangs off the backup camera. Note that you could actually do without the plug that attaches to the camera, and instead simply cut the pigtail plug off the camera and solder your connections. The plug here simply facilitates easy removal of the camera, but its unlikely that you'd have to remove the camera once its installed.

The wire harness itself requires 5 wires surrounded by a shield. After soldering the wires to the plug by the NAV unit (use shrink tubing to insulate each solder joint, and then wrap the entire splice with black tape), run the other end of the wire through some black conduit and snake it up through the opening inside the left trunk hinge. Be sure to leave some slack down at the bottom of the hinge to allow for movement of the wire as the truck is opened and closed.

Once you run the wire up inside the trunk lid, solder the other end of the plug. Here again I used shrink tubing to insulate each solder connection, followed by black tape and then black conduit.

Now comes the fun part. You have to drill out a hole in the trunk to mount the camera. The camera installs from inside the trunk lid facing outward. To do this, I first traced the cross section of the camera on to a piece of white paper. Then using an xacto knife I carefully cut out the tracing and finished off with some fine tuning until the camera fit perfectly through the cut out in my paper template. I then transfered the paper template opening onto a piece of cardboard. A tissue box works good for this. The reason to use the cardboard rather than paper for this is that you need a firm template to attach to the car. I temporarily mounted the garnish to the car and by slipping the template behind the garnish and looking through the hole in the garnish where the camera is supposed to be, I was able to determine precisely where to attach my cardboard template to the trunk lid. Cutting the trunk lid was simple. I used a 3/8" drill bit are carefully drilled holes all along the edge of of template opening. Then using a Dremel with a 9901 carbide bit, I cut through the drill holes essentially like the connect the dots kids game. finally, I removed my cardboard template and cleaned up any uneven edges with a file.

The hole I cut is to the left side.

Here is a close up of the hole.

Here is a photo of the '07 trunk garnish for the Tech model. You can see the little camera turret on the left side.

Finishing up goes quickly. Insert the camera through the hole. The camera has only one mounting hole on the left. The right side simply has a plastic tab that locks against the right side of the hole opening. I drilled out a hole for the left camera mounting and used a stainless steel screw, lock washer and nut to hold the camera in place.

The camera comes with a foam gasket that presses against the trunk lid from the inside, but I also used a little 3M body sealer mastic around the outside edge of the camera just to be sure everything was watertight.

Total time for this project was about 5 hours start to finish. At least half of that time was for the planning. If anyone wants to try this project, I can supply you with a .pdf scan of the template I made. This should save you about a half an hour. Just PM me.

Enjoy and happy modding!
Old 03-05-2008, 09:47 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Do you have any idea as to whether or not this will work as a replacement for my existing camera. Mine was dealer installed so the placement of the camera occupies the center trunk release spot (which I hate).
Old 03-05-2008, 12:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Treblig
Do you have any idea as to whether or not this will work as a replacement for my existing camera. Mine was dealer installed so the placement of the camera occupies the center trunk release spot (which I hate).
Yes and No. The good news is you already have the wiring harness running from the NAV to the trunk lid so you dont need to hunt around for the connectors. The bad news is I believe the '07 camera has a different mounting flange than the '06, so you'd have to spend the $471 to get the '07 camera (Curry Acura Parts - ask for Joe in internet sales).
Old 03-05-2008, 12:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

As an update that I forgot to mention when I wrote the original posting:

There may be an easier way to get the cable that connects the camera to the DVD NAV unit. I believe the '06 back up camera is sold as two parts. One part number is for the actual camera and the other part number is the mounting kit which includes the long cable needed to connect the camera to the DVD unit. SO if you are looking to do an '07 style camera install, you could by the '07 camera and also buy the '06 install kit to get the cable. This would avoid the need to make the cable and the associated difficulty in finding the matching plugs. I am sure the connector company AMP makes these plugs, you'djust have to research a source to buy them. Digikey.com might carry it but I haven't researched it.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:27 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2007AcuraRL
Yes and No. The good news is you already have the wiring harness running from the NAV to the trunk lid so you dont need to hunt around for the connectors. The bad news is I believe the '07 camera has a different mounting flange than the '06, so you'd have to spend the $471 to get the '07 camera (Curry Acura Parts - ask for Joe in internet sales).
I have a 06 RL, so you are saying if I want to take the 06 backup camera upgrade...all I have to do is just buy the backup camera and connect it to the trunk? The wiring is pre-existing, so I don't have to run wires from the NAV unit to the trunk area? I really don't want to have to take apart the dash to get to the NAV unit.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:39 AM
Drifting

Cool

Originally Posted by vluu
I have a 06 RL, so you are saying if I want to take the 06 backup camera upgrade...all I have to do is just buy the backup camera and connect it to the trunk? The wiring is pre-existing, so I don't have to run wires from the NAV unit to the trunk area? I really don't want to have to take apart the dash to get to the NAV unit.
If I'm reading your question correctly, it sounds like you have to buy the camera and the '07 Trunk Garnish too. I would certainly love to do this but I don't think I can justify it for $471.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:40 AM
Drifting

Are you sure that the cameras are different?
Old 03-06-2008, 12:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
What a great job!

I've thought about comverting my '06 to '07 because I really don't like the dimple button. It would have been better if the dimple were on the driver's side.

If you want the '07-style Tech/CMBS installation, then it looks like you need the rear trim with the camera housing. I wonder, though, if the camera unit from the '06 is the same as the '07, but simply uses the small black center-mount plastic housing.

I'm assuming to do the conversion, you'd still need the '07 trunk garnish (which would need to be painted to match the car), and you'd need an '06 trunk lever again. Assuming you could relocate the camera, then all you'd need to do is drill the hole in the trunk lid.

I do have to wonder if you can reuse the old trunk garnish, and make a new hole off the the side using the old camera garnish. I do know that they make a bigger cutout where the trunk lever used to go when they install the '06.

Rob144
Old 03-06-2008, 01:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

To answer a few questions:

1. The camera plugs into the back of the Nav unit in the trunk. The 06 and 07 Nav units are camera-ready meaning the NAv unit already has a socket to plug the camera into. For some reason I dont think the camera comes on when you plug it into the 05 Nav unit, even though the socket to plug it in is on the NAV unit. Perhaps its just that the sensor that tells the Nav unit the car is in reverse is missing? I will have to check the wiring diagrams in my Acura shop manuals to see if this is the case. If youy have an '06 that did not come with the camera, you will have to run a wire from the trunk lid, down the left hinge and over to the Nav unit in the trunk under the left side of the rear deck. You dont need to run anything to the front of the car.

2. The 06 and 07 cameras are different in that they each have a different style mounting tab molded onto them. I should have taken a picture of the camera before installing it. I'd take it back out to show you what it looks like except that I used some 3M mastic as additional sealant around the hole I cut for the camera. The stuff stays pliable so I can take the camera out but its messy to handle. (It was overkill but I finished this project up late at night during a week day evening and probably wasnt thinking so well).

3. The garnish is discounted to about $130 and it comes prepainted so you just need to select the one with the right color for your car. I suppose you could do the install without the '07 garnish since the camera is mounted up underneath and so its not really all that visible but the garnish doesnt really add much cost.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:53 PM
Drifting

1. The camera plugs into the back of the Nav unit in the trunk. The 06 and 07 Nav units are camera-ready meaning the NAv unit already has a socket to plug the camera into. For some reason I dont think the camera comes on when you plug it into the 05 Nav unit, even though the socket to plug it in is on the NAV unit. Perhaps its just that the sensor that tells the Nav unit the car is in reverse is missing? I will have to check the wiring diagrams in my Acura shop manuals to see if this is the case. If youy have an '06 that did not come with the camera, you will have to run a wire from the trunk lid, down the left hinge and over to the Nav unit in the trunk under the left side of the rear deck. You dont need to run anything to the front of the car.

2. The 06 and 07 cameras are different in that they each have a different style mounting tab molded onto them. I should have taken a picture of the camera before installing it. I'd take it back out to show you what it looks like except that I used some 3M mastic as additional sealant around the hole I cut for the camera. The stuff stays pliable so I can take the camera out but its messy to handle. (It was overkill but I finished this project up late at night during a week day evening and probably wasnt thinking so well).

3. The garnish is discounted to about $130 and it comes prepainted so you just need to select the one with the right color for your car. I suppose you could do the install without the '07 garnish since the camera is mounted up underneath and so its not really all that visible but the garnish doesnt really add much cost.
Thanks for the update 2007AcuraRL. As relates to item #2, in your opinion, is the '06 camera so different so as not to work in the '07 garnish?
Old 03-06-2008, 02:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Is the chrome part of the trunk garnish a separate and unique part from the colored part that houses the camera and has the openings for the license plate lights, etc?

Unfortunately, they stopped making my color in 2006, so there's no 2007 color-matched choice.

Good info all around!

Rob144
Old 03-06-2008, 03:29 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did anyone ever figure out how to get a camera to work on an 05?
Old 03-06-2008, 04:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Rob144
Is the chrome part of the trunk garnish a separate and unique part from the colored part that houses the camera and has the openings for the license plate lights, etc?

Unfortunately, they stopped making my color in 2006, so there's no 2007 color-matched choice.

Good info all around!

Rob144

The trunk garnish is sold as all one peice with the chrome part. Because the whole colored part is pretty much concealed under the chrome, you could probably just go with a black one, or get some paint mixed up to match the car and paint it with one of those disposable $10 aerosol sprayers the sell at auto paint supply places. Even if the color wasnt exact, no one is really going to see it.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bearcat2000
Did anyone ever figure out how to get a camera to work on an 05?
No but as I mentioned above, the '05 NAV unit does have the socket on it for a camera. Not sure if the sensor that makes the camera come on when it goes in reverse might be what's missing from the 05.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:00 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Good info! I might tackle this project when I can find a backup camera for a cheaper price. $471 is a bit steep for me. Does the 2006 camera kit come with all the wiring you need to complete the project? It might be an easier way to finish out the camera and not have to deal with the 07 one, but it does look better.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by vluu
Good info! I might tackle this project when I can find a backup camera for a cheaper price. $471 is a bit steep for me. Does the 2006 camera kit come with all the wiring you need to complete the project? It might be an easier way to finish out the camera and not have to deal with the 07 one, but it does look better.

There is usually an '06 camera kit selling on ebay from one or two acura dealers for about $400. That kit should include the mounting parts and wire harness.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:40 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
This is an amazing installation. Great job!
Old 03-10-2008, 09:53 PM
10th Gear

No but as I mentioned above, the '05 NAV unit does have the socket on it for a camera. Not sure if the sensor that makes the camera come on when it goes in reverse might be what's missing from the 05.

So then is it possible to setup a backup camera for the 05 RL?
Old 03-10-2008, 11:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by superfly1234
So then is it possible to setup a backup camera for the 05 RL?

The RL service manual ('05 - '07) at page 23-116 shows only one difference in the wiring diagram for the navigation unit between the 05 model and the 06-07 models. Connector C into the Nav unit, an 8 pin connector, shows connector pin No. 2 ("C2"), a purple wire, going to accessory 12v, for all mode years. The difference is that on the '05, purple connects uninterrupted to No. 32 fuse at driver's under dash fuse panel, whereas the '06-'07 models show a relay in the purple wire circuit. The relay coil gets a signal from the PCM on one side and the other side is connected to the transmission range swtich. Essentially the coil interupts the 12v going to C2 at the Nav unit. I suspect that when the car is put into reverse, 12v is cut at C2 and thats what toggles the backup camera to display on the lcd Nav panel. If this is so, you could probably retrofit an '05 to work with the backup camera using a relay wired in as the circuit shows.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:24 AM
Racer

The RL service manual ('05 - '07) at page 23-116 shows only one difference in the wiring diagram for the navigation unit between the 05 model and the 06-07 models. Connector C into the Nav unit, an 8 pin connector, shows connector pin No. 2 ("C2"), a purple wire, going to accessory 12v, for all mode years. The difference is that on the '05, purple connects uninterrupted to No. 32 fuse at driver's under dash fuse panel, whereas the '06-'07 models show a relay in the purple wire circuit. The relay coil gets a signal from the PCM on one side and the other side is connected to the transmission range swtich. Essentially the coil interupts the 12v going to C2 at the Nav unit. I suspect that when the car is put into reverse, 12v is cut at C2 and thats what toggles the backup camera to display on the lcd Nav panel. If this is so, you could probably retrofit an '05 to work with the backup camera using a relay wired in as the circuit shows.
This is very interesting theory. It does make sense to me. I would be interested to hear more details on this.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:29 AM
10th Gear

Hey thank you for this info. I'm going to try it out this weekend if I have time. I'll give everyone an update if it works.

Thanks again for your thoughts!
Cheers!
Old 03-11-2008, 12:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

I'll try to scan the schematic page and upload it later tonight.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by 30CL
This is very interesting theory. It does make sense to me. I would be interested to hear more details on this.
I don't think it's a theory.

Here is the original "2006 RL Backup Camera in a 2005 RL thread" - there are several posts in it documenting the poster Qatar's attempt to have the camera installed on his 05 by the dealer.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1283

He was the first here to attempt the OEM backup camera install in a 2005 RL. After several attempts it was determined that the 2005 lacked the relay or switch to turn the camera on when the car was put in reverse AND that the internal navi electronics were different between the 05 and the 06 as well. Here is part of the email reply from Acura:

"...05 NAVI lacks the correct internal electronics to operate the camera. Also, swapping an 06 controller into an 05 WILL NOT work either and that will also kill the audio system, so please don't try."

Bottom line is that it's more than just the relay that's missing. This is one of the main reasons I swapped my 05 for an 06.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:11 PM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

well...i just bought a backup camera off of an 06RL and it will be interesting if it will work on my 07 (with its 05 Nav unit) Ill keep you all posted. Trust me, I am not drilling any holes until it lights up my screen.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:51 AM
10th Gear

I'll try to scan the schematic page and upload it later tonight.
Thanks that would really be helpful!

Let me see if I can make some magic happen.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
AWESOME THREAD. Thank you so much, 2007AcuraRL.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thumbs up

Here are the diagrams for the Connector C (8 pin on back right corner of Nav unit) and for the full Nav circuitry. Its actually the brown wire at pin #5 on the C connector that toggles the camera on and off when it sees what I believe is 12v from the car shifter going to reverse. It gets its signal from the multiplex unit. IF the '05 doesnt put out a 12v signal, you could still get the camera to turn on by taping into the reverse brakelight 12v wire (I'd use either a relay or at least a diode to isloate C5).

Note also I am not sure now what that little relay circuit is for on the '06-'07 model at the Purple wire at pin #2 on the C connector. It might not be related to the camera.

Old 03-22-2008, 08:06 PM
Drifting

Discussed this mod with my dealer and have decided to pass. They were going to charge me $891.00 to do the work, but I decided that I'm not real keen about them having to cut a hole in the trunk to accommodate the new camera. I'll live with what I have. Thanks for the detailed write-up though 2007AcuraRL.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:04 PM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

well I am loyal...I have everything coming, and I will install my own backup camera. It will be an 06 camera, but i plan to install it like the 07's are installed.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Treblig
Discussed this mod with my dealer and have decided to pass. They were going to charge me $891.00 to do the work, but I decided that I'm not real keen about them having to cut a hole in the trunk to accommodate the new camera. I'll live with what I have. Thanks for the detailed write-up though 2007AcuraRL.

Too bad they want to charge that much for the install. I think the dealer gets $104/hr here in CT. That would be the equivalent of 8.5 hrs of labor. It doesnt take that long to do the install.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:26 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by larrynimmo
well I am loyal...I have everything coming, and I will install my own backup camera. It will be an 06 camera, but i plan to install it like the 07's are installed.
If you would, please let me know how the install goes for you. I would like to make the change to my setup, but not at the cost or cutting on my sheet metal if I don't have to.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

BTW, about cutting the trunk metal, other than the obvious risk inherent in missing with the cutting tool and damaging the paint finish where it would be visible, the trunk lid itself is made out of aluminum not steel so there's no risk of rusting where you cut. Still, I touched up the cut edge with primer and top coat nonetheless for a completely finished look to the install.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:32 PM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

follow-up note...

I installed my back-up camera in the traditional 06 location (at the release button) I removed the button, and cut a slight releif in the plastic garnish and it fit great. I still need to relocate the trunk operating button. I will likely buy a new operating button and install it on the side like the 06 RL. In the process, I decided to change out the nav to an 06 model and it worked perfectly. (my old 05 Nav unit is for sale)

At first I was really disappoited with how dark the picture was...until I realized that it was set on dark, and by using the multi function know...spin clockwise...that I would get brightness.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:28 PM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

for anyone interested...someone has posted an RL camera kit & accessories on EBAY...it is buy it now for 249 + shpg...
see 130211179159
Old 04-06-2008, 06:18 AM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

http://home.comcast.net/~asuitedpair/rl_backup_06.pdf

searching the site i found factory installation instructions for the 06RL camera kit...these instructions help assist in the process whether you are going to install by the 06 method, or the 07 method.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:19 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Ignorant and curious -
Is the switchout from an 06 to an 07 camera setup being contemplated due to enthusiasm/purity or some 'substantial' benefit? I know the positioning of 06 cam moves the trunk release button.
Seems like a lot of expense if you already have the 06 camera. trying to understand the reason.
maybe only 1 person is doing that.

good luck on the amazing work ya'll are doing.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:24 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by 123456SPEED
Ignorant and curious -
Is the switchout from an 06 to an 07 camera setup being contemplated due to enthusiasm/purity or some 'substantial' benefit? I know the positioning of 06 cam moves the trunk release button.
Seems like a lot of expense if you already have the 06 camera. trying to understand the reason.
maybe only 1 person is doing that.

good luck on the amazing work ya'll are doing.
I think the question may go a little deeper. All 2006, and all 2007-8 Base Models have no camera. 2007-8 Tech and CMBS models come with a camera standard.

The 2006 camera was a dealer installed option, which installs in the original trunk button area. The 2007-08 Base models apparently use the same setup.

The 2007-8 Tech models offset installation preserves the large center mounted trunk button, and is more consistent with other Acura and Honda OEM camera mounts.

I believe this thread all started because 2006 owners and 2007-08 Base model owners were interested in duplicating the offset installation. Now that the factory engineered offset mounting solution was available, how hard would that be to implement in the 2006 or 2007-08 base models?

The answer is, of course, pretty difficult and expensive. Whereas the regular center mount retrofit kit costs about $400 plus a $300 install fee, implementing the offset mounting solution requires cutting a hole in the trunk, ordering a new color keyed license trim kit which has the proper offset camera mounting hole, and different camera mounting kits, although the camera itself may be the same. And another problem is that the 2007-08 Tech Package camera and mounting kits do not include the proper wiring harness to hook into the 2006 or 2007-08 Base Model wiring harnesses.

So that is what I get out of this thread--it is not too switch out an existing installation, but to see if you could duplicate a newer mounting solution if you did not have a camera already installed in a 2006 or 2007-08 Base model, and wanted one.

That is my
Old 04-07-2008, 05:02 PM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

I have now fully installed my upgrades...i have an 07 base RL with 06 DVDnav, and 06 camera with the 06 installation in the center, and the little push button off to the right side. Everything works and I am OK. That being said, I still miss my trunk release button in the middle. When I go to open (even completely sober) I first reach to the middle to push the button, but thats ok.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:00 PM
Burning Brakes

I have now fully installed my upgrades...i have an 07 base RL with 06 DVDnav, and 06 camera with the 06 installation in the center, and the little push button off to the right side. Everything works and I am OK. That being said, I still miss my trunk release button in the middle. When I go to open (even completely sober) I first reach to the middle to push the button, but thats ok.
I would just like to have the pushbutton on the driver's side! My garage isn't very deep, so I have to reach way over to open the trunk when I'm not using the remote.

Rob144
Old 04-08-2008, 03:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
You'll get used to it quickly. I don't mind the re-located button at all, and I like the center mounted camera much better than the offset version (which is in my wife's 2006 MDX).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Backup Camera Install - Using the 2007 Tech Style Camera