AcuraLink & T-Mobile

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 01:33 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool AcuraLink & T-Mobile

I cannot connect to T-Mobile using AcuraLink. I have tried the default connection string *99# and I have also changed it to *99***# (As suggested by one of the postings). Neither of the two connection strings work for me. PLEASE HELP!!!!
Old 03-12-2005, 02:51 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The *99# is for AT&T. Not sure what the other string is for. If you go into easy set \up and choose AT&T you will see the *99# is for AT&T. However, mine does not work and I am on AT&T. What type of phone do you have? I have the Audiovox SMT 5600.
Old 03-12-2005, 05:38 PM
3rd Gear

I have a Sony Ericsson V802. All my blootooth settings work correctly. I just cant get the damn AcuraLink working.

I guess T-Mobile has the same settings as AT&T.
Old 03-12-2005, 09:35 PM
8-)
...just another stooge...

Originally Posted by adaie
I have a Sony Ericsson V802. All my blootooth settings work correctly. I just cant get the damn AcuraLink working.

I guess T-Mobile has the same settings as AT&T.
You're not the only one. I've been trying since December. I'm hoping the Acura Link update does the trick for me. Then again, I'm not sure it's worth all the trouble anyway. And I do have a phone on Acura's list.

I think we have lots of company.
Old 03-13-2005, 01:01 PM
Advanced

I cannot connect to T-Mobile using AcuraLink. I have tried the default connection string *99# and I have also changed it to *99***# (As suggested by one of the postings). Neither of the two connection strings work for me. PLEASE HELP!!!!
Do you have a data plan with T-Mobile? If not, try adding the $4.99 month T-Zones (WAP) plan and you should then be able to connect. Some accounts had free WAP in the past, but T-Mobile started removing that feature 6 - 12 months ago.
Old 03-13-2005, 03:49 PM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts
I had the same problem with Verizon when I purchased a V710. In fact, I didn't have the option for Verizon in the AcuraLink setup and I suspect it is because Verizon had no bluetooth during development. I never replaced the phone with another bluetooth yet, I am comtemplating getting service elsewhere but my wife and I talk a lot during the day and she doesn't want to switch (A bad experience in customer service with ATT). The free mobile to mobile is the only reason I haven't switched. I did speak to a guy who is testing the Palm Treo 650 for Verizon and he said that the testing is ahead of schedule and the estimated release is in August. Thats doesn't help my cause since I may not even be alive in August. I need a fix now and may turn my service plan down annd forward my number to my new phone to satisfy my wife.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:38 PM
3rd Gear

I do have the data plan. I contacted t-mobile and they told me I need to purchase their internet plan which is $29.99 a month!!! This plan includes access to t-mobile GPRS. Otherwise I have to use another ISP to connect to acuralink.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:59 AM
Advanced

I do have the data plan. I contacted t-mobile and they told me I need to purchase their internet plan which is $29.99 a month!!! This plan includes access to t-mobile GPRS. Otherwise I have to use another ISP to connect to acuralink.
You shouldn't need their "T-Mobile Internet" plan, even if you did it should only be $19.99 to add it to a voice plan, not $29.99. Last time I checked, my RL was able to connect to AcuraLink via my SE T-610 on T-Mobile with the $4.99 T-Zones plan. I haven't been in the car for three weeks, so maybe something changed. I'll try it this sometime today.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:53 AM
Racer

I'm temporarily on T-Mobile and having the same issue with my 7100t Crackberry. I was using the "classic" (awkward, bulky) shaped 7250 Crackberry on Cingular with no problems. The 7100t works in all respects except for Acuralink. This is a corporate-supplied device and it has every imagineable service enabled. In another week or so I'll be getting swapped out to a 7100g (Cingular) and I'm hoping I'll be back in a state of one-ness with Acuralink. Pretty frustrating, though.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:53 AM
Instructor

At least you guys are able to connect with AcuraLink. It has never worked for me.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:37 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by larryka
You shouldn't need their "T-Mobile Internet" plan, even if you did it should only be $19.99 to add it to a voice plan, not $29.99. Last time I checked, my RL was able to connect to AcuraLink via my SE T-610 on T-Mobile with the $4.99 T-Zones plan. I haven't been in the car for three weeks, so maybe something changed. I'll try it this sometime today.
Larryka: Have you had a chance to confirm your SE T-610 connection to AcuraLink? Thanks.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:58 AM
Racer

When I first got my RL I remember a screen coming up to activate Acuralink. I have my cell phones with Verizon and this was not one of the providers shown on the screen. I have not tried anymore to set this up since then.

My Motorola V710 did link with the HFL with no problem.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:31 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by AcuraRLBlue
Larryka: Have you had a chance to confirm your SE T-610 connection to AcuraLink? Thanks.
Not yet. I unexpectedly dropped my RL off at a body shop yesterday morning to have some key damage repaired (i.e. someone keyed my car). I should have it back by the end of the week. I know that my T-610 has been working via T-Mobile with the $4.99 T-Zones plan since December, but the last time I tried it was back in late January/February while I was trying to help Gator5000e get his connection working.
Old 04-03-2005, 11:34 AM
Advanced

I had a chance to try my T-610 on T-Mobile in my RL yesterday, and it worked fine using the T-Mobile quick setup option. FWIW, I used to have the $19.99 Internet data plan, but I went down to the $4.99 T-Zones plan a couple of months ago.
Old 04-03-2005, 12:59 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by larryka
I had a chance to try my T-610 on T-Mobile in my RL yesterday, and it worked fine using the T-Mobile quick setup option. FWIW, I used to have the $19.99 Internet data plan, but I went down to the $4.99 T-Zones plan a couple of months ago.
Thanks. I put my T-Mobile SIM into an old SE T68i, and the bluetooth connection worked fine (clarity through the speakers is not as good as the phone) but no AcuraLink. I am considering signing up with T-Zone based on your experience.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:02 AM
Cruisin'

Any update using T-Mobile?

I have a T-Mobile account with the T-Zones options and a razr v3. Has anyone been to connect to Acuralink with a similar setup?

Thanks
Rollin
Old 02-15-2006, 12:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Revival of an old thread Thanks for searching Hopefully somebody can answer your question.

I have moved the thread to the electronics subforum.
Old 02-16-2006, 03:50 AM
Advanced

I also have a T-mobile T-zone $4.99 plan and using SE W800i phone, but could not connect to AcuraLink.

Larryka-how did you connect to AcuraLink? I tried using the easy setup but to no avail. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:15 AM
'06 RL

I have a SonyErricsson k700i on t-mobile with the GPRS data plan, and I can't connect to Acuralink, either.

tmobile offers no support for this, they say call Acura. Acura offers no support for this, they say call tmobile.

My dealer's service manager said "This feature isn't enabled yet, it's not supposed to work." Yet, of course, it works for other people, and when I had a Sprint Samsung A900 for a week, it worked flawlessly on the default Sprint settings.... of course, the phone wouldn't hang up when you pressed disconnect, but that's another matter entirely.

*shrug*
Old 02-16-2006, 09:01 AM
Cruisin'

I noticed that using the acuralink settings (under easy setup) for the cingular formally ATT phone on my tmobile phone, it actually put the phone in GPRS mode (which is more than any of the other presets did). I dont have the gprs data package but that may work on some plans?
Old 02-23-2006, 08:06 PM
Cruisin'

Just an update.. Using a razr and tmobile (no data plan) I was able to connect to acuralink by using a isp modem dialup #. This was done via the custom setup menu item and entering the isp's phone # under phone # (where it previously had *99# I think). The razr dials up and acts like a modem. I also had to supply the userid and password via the appropriate menu options. Worked great.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:32 AM
Advanced

rollinm - Care to tell us the isp number that you used? And also, how do you get the userid and password? Do you have to register somewhere first to get the id and password? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:50 AM
Cruisin'

I have free dialup access via my broadband provider (earthlink). So you might check to see if your current internet proivder also provides dial up access with your service.

Alternative, you might also try http://www.freecenter.com/dialup.html. I believe I saw some of these free dialup isps referenced in a verizon thread here on acurazine. They may not have local #'s, with tmobile you may get free long distance calls so free still?
Old 05-02-2006, 06:45 PM
Intermediate

Exclamation summary of the root causes of problems in this thread

Hi.

Here's why some of your phones in this thread are working for Acura Link and some are not.

1. THE FUNDAMENTAL REQUIREMENT. Of course, the phone needs to have Bluetooth and be compatible with the Acura Handsfreelink. You can find officially compatible phones at: http://www.handsfreelink.com. Note: of course there are other BT phones that will work with the system, they just haven't been officially endorsed for any number of reasons I won't get into.

2. THE PHONE MUST SUPPORT BLUETOOTH DUN (DialUp Networking Profile). Many if not most phones have had it disabled by the carriers. MOST phones as designed include DUN but it is turned off by carrier or phone man'f for any number of reasons. To determine whether your phone will support, again, go to http://www.handsfreelink.com. The phones that will NOT work with Acura Link are shown as "Does not support offboard diagnosis". Similar note: this does not mean that some other BT phones are available that do support DUN, and will somehow work, it just means that for one or more reasons they are not supported.

3. (IF YOUR PHONE IS COMPATIBLE) YOU MAY NEED TO HAVE A DATA PLAN. Depends upon the carrier. Call their customer service and ASK. Ask to talk specifically to a DATA SUPPORT person, if they have such. Today, most customers will be able to access data, it will just cost more if you don't opt for an economical package (pay per kilobyte as opposed to "all you can eat" type plans). To test whether you can use data connectivity on your phone or not (note: I do not mean data connectivity by Bluetooth DUN here. that's another story altogether), open the phone's mobile browser (assuming it has one ... Verizon is strange on this matter) and see if you can connect to mobile internet stuff. If not, you likely don't have data or aren't set up correctly. Again, consult your carrier's support line, preferably data support.

4. (IF YOU KNOW YOU HAVE A DATA PLAN) You need to have the right settings to connect. First try the preset options for Acura Link connection in the car. If that doesn't work, consult the carrier, as in point #3. There are also a number of other places you can find the connection settings on the Internet but it's a complicated issue.

5. IN ALL CASES, complain to your carrier about the lack of usability and carrier accountability regarding data features. It's unacceptable.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:57 PM
Intermediate

Exclamation and now, regarding specifics... (Acuralink support)

And now, regarding various specifics from your previous posts perhaps not covered by my previous post:

I have free dialup access via my broadband provider (earthlink). So you might check to see if your current internet proivder also provides dial up access with your service.
Bluetooth dialup networking (DUN) and data access via a cell phone versus ISP-type dialup are not really related. The topics don't mix very well. The dial strings like *99# are not general 'ISP' numbers. They are strings that do something in the context of YOUR wireless carrier's specific system configuration. They sometimes ARE the same across different carriers. But this is because the switches and equipment are similar. You just have to check with your carrier's support team, preferably data or "mobile internet" support, if available.

I have a SonyErricsson k700i on t-mobile with the GPRS data plan, and I can't connect to Acuralink, either.

tmobile offers no support for this, they say call Acura. Acura offers no support for this, they say call tmobile.

My dealer's service manager said "This feature isn't enabled yet, it's not supposed to work."
Your dealer is full of it (seems to be the prevailing case). Acura Care SHOULD have referred you to Handsfreelink support (in addition to web there is also a help line). K700i is officially supported. It should work. Check the software version shown on the Acura Handsfreelink site against what you have. For Sony Ericsson phones, there is one helpful resource in particular on Sony Ericsson's site that will send down the carrier connection settings to your phone via SMS: http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?...s1_1&pid=10179. The neat trick is if you select a Sony Ericsson phone that is available through your carrier, this "WAP configurator" tool will send the SMS to any phone, regardless of manufacturer and the data settings should be the same. However, I have to state the inevitable caveat that the settings they send may be WAP-specific settings and may not work for the Acura Link use case. Sometimes GPRS settings are needed, sometimes EDGE, and so on and so forth depending upon your phone's capabilities (GPRS, EDGE, etc), maybe your data plan and account and other factors. A lot of times you'll get lucky, though, and at least those settings will work for a basic connection. This is the beauty of the utterly confusing and unusable world of carrier data connectivity. Add Bluetooth DUN and interoperability between devices on top of this and it's a wonder it all works at all, ever.

I also have a T-mobile T-zone $4.99 plan and using SE W800i phone, but could not connect to AcuraLink.
SE W800i is, in general, NOT officially supported by Handsfreelink. That doesn't mean it absolutely won't work. In fact, it sounds as if you use it for handsfree call functions already.

Just an update.. Using a razr and tmobile (no data plan) I was able to connect to acuralink by using a isp modem dialup #. This was done via the custom setup menu item and entering the isp's phone # under phone # (where it previously had *99# I think). The razr dials up and acts like a modem. I also had to supply the userid and password via the appropriate menu options. Worked great.
Good to hear. This is expected. RAZR (Cingular or T-Mobile NOT Verizon RAZR V3c) is a good phone for use with Acuralink. Watch your data charges closely, though, since you have opted no data plan.

When I first got my RL I remember a screen coming up to activate Acuralink. I have my cell phones with Verizon and this was not one of the providers shown on the screen. I have not tried anymore to set this up since then.

My Motorola V710 did link with the HFL with no problem.
-AND-
I had the same problem with Verizon when I purchased a V710. In fact, I didn't have the option for Verizon in the AcuraLink setup and I suspect it is because Verizon had no bluetooth during development.
Motorola Verizon V710 is supported for HFL handsfree functions but not Acura Link (aka "offboard diagnosis") functions. And HFL support with V710 is only with software version 1.40 or later.

Verizon, in general, has disabled Bluetooth DUN in their handsets (don't get it confused with general DUN or "tethered DUN" [using the phone as a modem using a cable] which may well be supported but obviously does you no good in this case). Some of the smartphones that can be put on PDA plan (unlimited PDA data) do have BT DUN enabled, but HFL and the device have interoperability issues. XV6600 is one particular example of this. I use its BT DUN capability for other purposes but it does not work well at all for HFL and Acura Link.

In parallel to obtaining yourself a phone that's on the compatible list, suggest petitioning Verizon for Bluetooth DUN support and easy, straightforward data connection options if you think it's important (as obviously I do).

I have a Sony Ericsson V802. All my Bluetooth settings work correctly. I just cant get the damn AcuraLink working.
V802 is not supported for HFL in general. Good to hear that it works for you at least for basic HFL functionality. See handsfreelink for further info.

I'm temporarily on T-Mobile and having the same issue with my 7100t Crackberry. I was using the "classic" (awkward, bulky) shaped 7250 Crackberry on Cingular with no problems. The 7100t works in all respects except for Acuralink. This is a corporate-supplied device and it has every imagineable service enabled. In another week or so I'll be getting swapped out to a 7100g (Cingular) and I'm hoping I'll be back in a state of one-ness with Acuralink. Pretty frustrating, though.
Blackberry Cingular 7100g is supported for general HFL functions, but NOT Acuralink.
See handsfreelink for further info.

HOPE THIS HELPED EVERYONE A BIT!!!!
Old 05-10-2006, 01:09 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rollinm
Just an update.. Using a razr and tmobile (no data plan) I was able to connect to acuralink by using a isp modem dialup #. This was done via the custom setup menu item and entering the isp's phone # under phone # (where it previously had *99# I think). The razr dials up and acts like a modem. I also had to supply the userid and password via the appropriate menu options. Worked great
then...
Originally Posted by rollinm

Alternative, you might also try http://www.freecenter.com/dialup.html. I believe I saw some of these free dialup isps referenced in a verizon thread here on acurazine.
then...
Originally Posted by RLTechie
Bluetooth dialup networking (DUN) and data access via a cell phone versus ISP-type dialup are not really related. The topics don't mix very well. The dial strings like *99# are not general 'ISP' numbers. They are strings that do something in the context of YOUR wireless carrier's specific system configuration. They sometimes ARE the same across different carriers. But this is because the switches and equipment are similar. You just have to check with your carrier's support team, preferably data or "mobile internet" support, if available
Arrrggggh! My most sincerest of sincere apologies to rollinm regarding his suggestions to use dialup ISP. Don't know what I was smokin' while typing that one. He is absolutely right -- if you do have an ISP that provides dialup numbers, with many phones that support Bluetooth DUN you can use that as rollinm described. Sorry 'bout that misinformation.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:31 PM
3rd Gear

Red face Motorola Razor

I was able to connect to the server with my Razor using T-Mobile internet service. It may seem stupid but I don't know what are really the benefits of it. Could anyone help me?
Old 06-27-2006, 12:32 PM
Intermediate

Well, right now, the only services available are diagnostics. So in other words, only if you have a problem ... the car can contact Acura and get further information on your problem.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:39 PM
Cruisin'

Just visited the dealer for an oil change and my primary purpose is to check the "unable to link" message with my AcuraLink. The dealer's tech guy know nothing and suggested me to call Acura. $*%$#

I have black berry and moto razr both with internet service (T-Mobile) but was never able to connect. The guy did say that it's all VIN based and you will get a letter if there is any issue with your particular vehicle. And as far as he knows there has been no tech calls for RL in the past year. Good luck everyone.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:00 AM
'06 RL

I recently got a T-Mobile Nokia 6103. Connected first try using the settings for ATT Internet -- which is *99#.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:06 PM
Racer

What was the process? Where did you insert *99#?
Old 08-16-2006, 12:20 PM
'06 RL

Originally Posted by jfprl
What was the process? Where did you insert *99#?
*99# is just a generic dialing string for GPRS internet over GSM phones that selects the default APN profile for connections.

In other words, if you can use the phone as a GPRS modem with your laptop, you should be able to use that dialing string to connect through it.

On the Acura, just use the connection settings for AT&T Mmode -- which is just to dial *99#. It should already be set up in the phone. If you have a working GPRS internet connection from Tmobile already set up on a compatible GSM phone, it should work.

You may need to subscribe to T-Mobile's VPN service. I am a VPN subscriber, I don't use the normal T-Zones internet connection, and I have the $29 unlimited data pacakge, which lets me use my phone as a modem over the t-mobile network with my laptop. That may be why my phone works and most don't.