2g RL BT45-HON3 Full Functioning Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2021, 02:14 PM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2g RL BT45-HON3 Full Functioning Install (Songs on Screen, Device In Cabin)

So after lots of going back and forth on the USA Spec BT45-ACU vs BT45-HON3, I ended up picking up the Honda version. I made that decision based on price (about $80 cheaper), and the fact the the ACU version explicitly says it can ONLY be installed at the XM module in the trunk, and I was hoping to have access to the USB, Aux, and Microphone without having to run cables all the way through my car. I was also curious since the HON3 version says it's compatible with "Non-Navigation RLs", which I'm pretty sure was never a thing (and I do not have the tech package).

Anyway, it does not work with the XM tuner in the trunk. The HON3 has a 14 pin connection, and was the wrong shape and size to connect anywhere to the XM tuner.

I was able to pop apart the dash to pull out the stereo unit in the car. There are solid Youtube videos showing the entire process. The last screws shown being removed in the videos were actually 8mm bolts in my car, so that is something to look out for if you attempt this and can't find the last two screws.

From the back of the stereo, there is a 14 pin connection that you can plug the HON3 into, and then the original connector into the female side of the HON3. You do use the included converter cable when attaching it directly the the HU. Doing this does disable both your XM and your CD player, and replaces them with Bluetooth/Aux input. Flip all 4 switches on the HON3 to 'On' for full functionality.

I was able to route the cables and device in a way where it sits in the place previously occupied by the 'Not an Ashtray'. put in the bottom casing for the coin holder, routed the cables through the hole in the back, and secured the device in that little spot. It looks pretty reasonable and doesn't leave any exposed wire. Audio quality is leaps and bounds better than the FM bluetooth transmitter I'd used previously, and of course there's no more intereference. The device works as described for the ACU in this configuration - displays artists/songs on the nav screen, and you can skip tracks with the channel buttons.

The trade off is definitely the loss of XM and CD, but I almost never used those anyway. And now the higher fidelity of tracks streaming through Tidal actually sound amazing through the RL's speaker setup.

Thought this might be useful for anybody looking for a way to add bluetooth, USB (charging only), and Aux input into the cabin of their car, since that's not an option at all with the ACU. The savings on the HON3 are definitely nice as well.

Happy to answer any questions about the process!

Last edited by Relyk; 01-05-2021 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Updating title
The following 2 users liked this post by Relyk:
Nomgle (01-07-2021), sccrxer (01-07-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 05:27 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Thanks for this post - I'm in for one ! I do NOT have the XM tuner - but I do have the indash navigation with the DVD drive in the trunk... so it sounds like BT45-HON3 will be my choice too.

Does the indash navigation still work ? I don't mind losing the CD player and I have no XM to lose :-)
Old 01-07-2021, 08:41 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks for being the guinea pig! I don’t use Xm or cd, so that would be a fine trade for me as well. I’ve debated these systems for a while too.
Old 01-07-2021, 12:18 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Nomgle
Thanks for this post - I'm in for one ! I do NOT have the XM tuner - but I do have the indash navigation with the DVD drive in the trunk... so it sounds like BT45-HON3 will be my choice too.

Does the indash navigation still work ? I don't mind losing the CD player and I have no XM to lose :-)
I didn't know you could get an RL without XM! It does leave in dash nav fully functional. However, the device uses the XM screen, so I'm no sure what that would look like without it. All of the track information is displayed in the XM track info fields, and you switch between BT/Aux by selecting XM channel 6 for Aux, the other 5 channels all play BT.
Old 01-07-2021, 12:24 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by sccrxer
Thanks for being the guinea pig! I don’t use Xm or cd, so that would be a fine trade for me as well. I’ve debated these systems for a while too.
I'm definitely happy with the setup! Losing CD was a bit of a bummer for me, I kept the changer loaded in case I was out of cell service or had phone issues or something. New plan is to just load up a high quality MP3 player with tracks to replace it as a backup. Having the device in the cabin is definitely a big plus for me.
Old 01-07-2021, 05:07 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Relyk
I didn't know you could get an RL without XM! It does leave in dash nav fully functional. However, the device uses the XM screen, so I'm no sure what that would look like without it. All of the track information is displayed in the XM track info fields, and you switch between BT/Aux by selecting XM channel 6 for Aux, the other 5 channels all play BT.
XM is a USA thing - in all the other markets around the world where the RL is sold as the Honda Legend, there is no XM. We still get the small separate LCD screen up the top that shows the temperature and radio information etc.

Looking at the manual, I think my scenario will be the same as this :

"Odyssey 11-12 & Pilot 12 radios do not have XM buttons but
they are XM capable thus will be able to display music info.
Please follow the special instruction in this manual."

Our overseas RLs come with factory iPod USB in the centre console - and if you plug in an oldschool iPod, then tracknames etc. all work fine on the mini screen. I imagine it's the same communication that XM uses.... but I won't know until I try it
Attached Files

Last edited by Nomgle; 01-07-2021 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-07-2021, 05:24 PM
10th Gear

XM is a USA thing - in all the other markets around the world where the RL is sold as the Honda Legend, there is no XM. We still get the small separate LCD screen up the top that shows the temperature and radio information etc.

Looking at the manual, I think my scenario will be the same as this :

"Odyssey 11-12 & Pilot 12 radios do not have XM buttons but
they are XM capable thus will be able to display music info.
Please follow the special instruction in this manual."

Our overseas RLs come with factory iPod USB in the centre console - and if you plug in an oldschool iPod, then tracknames etc. all work fine on the mini screen. I imagine it's the same communication that XM uses.... but I won't know until I try it
Ah, that makes sense - nice that you guys got integrated USB, not having any sort of audio input besides CD was definitely a bummer for me. I'm guessing you're right - track names also display on the tiny clock screen above the NAV. Do make sure all 4 of the switches are up on the back of the device. My setup said to only use 1 and 3, but track names didn't show, and the Aux port didn't work. Flipping them all up got it all working properly.
The following users liked this post:
Nomgle (01-07-2021)
Old 01-07-2021, 05:46 PM
Instructor

Where did you order from @Relyk ? Crutchfield and Amazon are both out of stock...
Old 01-08-2021, 12:53 PM
10th Gear

Where did you order from @Relyk ? Crutchfield and Amazon are both out of stock...
Ah, darn. I got mine from Amazon right before Christmas, it was about $110 at the time.
Old 01-16-2021, 02:36 AM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
If you can get USA-SPEC to sell you the longer harness that came with the wired version, you can have the best of both worlds. I explained it in this post: https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-a...45-acu-989962/

The following users liked this post:
sccrxer (01-17-2021)
Old 02-26-2021, 10:47 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You guys have to get this model..BT45-ACU by USA SPEC. This one works for,
RL (NAV) 05-09
Old 02-26-2021, 12:52 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by HenryW
RL (NAV) 05-09
That's the point of this thread - we DON'T have to use the BT45-ACU. The HON3 is significantly cheaper, and allows for in-cabin installation instead of having to install in the trunk and run all the cables.
Old 02-28-2021, 06:29 PM
Instructor

Ah, darn. I got mine from Amazon right before Christmas, it was about $110 at the time.
Finally got one from Amazon at a decent price, I'm waiting for delivery now
Old 03-14-2021, 12:45 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's the point of this thread - we DON'T have to use the BT45-ACU. The HON3 is significantly cheaper, and allows for in-cabin installation instead of having to install in the trunk and run all the cables.
Do you mind taking a pic of the nav screen when HON3 is playing? And does the steering wheel controls still work?

I'm disappointed with the factory Bose audio system, maybe the speakers are worn but in my previous car I had a 40 watt RMS Sony head unit with Polk and Kicker speakers that sounded clearer and crisper.
Old 03-23-2021, 02:54 PM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
the Bose system is not that great....as a musician I find it lacking...but I love the car!
Old 03-24-2021, 08:02 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also watch this for some I talk help!

Old 05-26-2022, 06:29 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HenryW
RL (NAV) 05-09

i got the BT45-HON3 in my RL about 3 years ago and i was able to connect it to my XM Tuner in the trunk. i didnt know know i was supposed to get the ACU version as mines has worked perfectly fine until a few weeks ago with the HFL link locking up my radio. maybe i should try disconnecting it to see if thats causing my problem
Old 08-27-2022, 11:05 AM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by DHeat914
i got the BT45-HON3 in my RL about 3 years ago and i was able to connect it to my XM Tuner in the trunk. i didnt know know i was supposed to get the ACU version as mines has worked perfectly fine until a few weeks ago with the HFL link locking up my radio. maybe i should try disconnecting it to see if thats causing my problem
I just bought and installed the BT45-ACU in my 2006 (US car). Works fine on Bluetooth but now when I put the car in reverse, my backup camera image is blank. Any ideas? I like the BT45 but the camera is important to me
Old 08-28-2022, 10:31 AM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by MjAuto
I just bought and installed the BT45-ACU in my 2006 (US car). Works fine on Bluetooth but now when I put the car in reverse, my backup camera image is blank. Any ideas? I like the BT45 but the camera is important to me
never mind, I must have accidentally unplugged the backup camera when putting everything back together. It works now as it should.