Wipers stopped working..

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 11:20 AM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Wipers stopped working..

Anyone else have their wipers die? We were about 80 miles from home and it began to pour when the wipers just died.

We can hear the motor turning, but the wipers arent moving. Checked both wiper fuses (inside and under hood) and they were fine.

Had the TSB done earlier this year too..

Worst part of it all is that tomorrow is Christmas eve and we'll need to drive everywhere.

Anyone have any suggestions on what else to look for so that I can attempt to remedy the problem? Called roadside and they told me that due to the holidays, most dealerships wont open until Wednesday.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts
Oh man that's rough, anyway to get your Acura dealer to give you a loaner over the holidays? I am pretty sure the Dealers are open tomorrow, so you should look into that. I have had no issues with mine and I use em a lot here in the Seattle area.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:26 PM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

Went back out into the rain after studying the service manual. Was hoping that the bolt holding the motor to the arm assembly was loose, but after removing the cowl and getting deep in there I saw that everything was fine. The motor makes a whirring noise as if something internal is moving. Unfortunately, nothing external moves.

I left a vm for the service manager but his message stated that they are closed for the holidays.

Roadside assistance informed me that a rental would be covered in the event a dealer did not have a loaner available. But, the service manager would need to make that call.

Ugh.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:47 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
(Post deleted) You answered my question for me before I could hit the post button!

Old 12-23-2007, 12:59 PM
Honda Fanboy

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Ughh.... I feel for you, man.

This reminds me of the time when I was driving my dads Lexus with the windows down and it started raining. All the windows went up, EXCEPT for the drivers side. Whatever it was, it broke and I had to drive in the rain with the window down. To make matters worse, it was in the city so I couldn't even go fast enough to just have the rain fly by, it was all just pouring in.

If you can't get your wipers fixed before the holidays, you should at least get yourself some RainX for your windshield. I've heard it works real well.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
This happened on my 3G TL a few months after I bought it. I wasn't stranded at Christmas time, though.
Old 12-23-2007, 03:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
This happened on my 3G TL a few months after I bought it. I wasn't stranded at Christmas time, though.
Happened to me on my 1990 Nissan Maxima SE. It was an internal linkage that had broken and was a difficult part to get. Had to drive around for a week in the winter in New England with no wipers.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:21 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Lightbulb

If it is raining now or tomorrow, go out, not far. Call Acura Roadside and explain your wipers stopped working in the rain and you are unable to continue. They should come fetch the car and arrange the loaner. If you were on a trip, they supposedly even cover lodging expenses incurred while the car is fixed and a rental is arranged.

Worth a try?
Old 12-24-2007, 09:20 AM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

What a nightmare this is turning into. Called my dealership and confirmed that the service department was closed. Told them of our situation and they told us to come in and they'll provide us a loaner.

Packed up the car with everything - gifts, food, kids, etc and headed to Acura hoping to pick up our loaner and then embark on our 200 mile journey to Boston to visit the grandparents.

They had a spectacular Toyota Yaris sedan waiting for us. There was no way we were all going to fit in that car so we asked if we anything else they could give us and the salesperson stated, youre lucky to be getting this. Uhh, was that a joke? Not very funny. The joke was on me since I've spent over $150,000 in automobiles at this dealership.

I then asked them to get me a rental, and after calling Acura client services, he was informed that since they did have a loaner, that the rental would be on my dime.

I packed my family back into the car and drove back home.

Thank you Acura for ruining our Christmas.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by bkw
What a nightmare this is turning into. Called my dealership and confirmed that the service department was closed. Told them of our situation and they told us to come in and they'll provide us a loaner.

Packed up the car with everything - gifts, food, kids, etc and headed to Acura hoping to pick up our loaner and then embark on our 200 mile journey to Boston to visit the grandparents.

They had a spectacular Toyota Yaris sedan waiting for us. There was no way we were all going to fit in that car so we asked if we anything else they could give us and the salesperson stated, youre lucky to be getting this. Uhh, was that a joke? Not very funny. The joke was on me since I've spent over $150,000 in automobiles at this dealership.

I then asked them to get me a rental, and after calling Acura client services, he was informed that since they did have a loaner, that the rental would be on my dime.

I packed my family back into the car and drove back home.

Thank you Acura for ruining our Christmas.
I am confused, but that is usual for me. Did you take the loaner, the rental, or did you just drive your RL back home? Aren't you going to Boston now?
Old 12-24-2007, 11:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
WOW. I mean, just....WOW.

A fscking Yaris? Tell me you're kidding us. It would have been better had the dealer just said that they were closed and to come back on Wednesday.

Right before Christmas is a pretty tough time to get a rental on extremely short notice, though, so the service droid could have been telling the truth. Even so....why didn't they just give you an Acura loaner for a couple of days? Even a TSX is better than a Yaris.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:28 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
How sad.

A better gesture from your dealer would have gone miles for their reputation and your loyalty.

This is simply a cheap shot, amplified by the Holiday Season timing. I would write to the dealership General Manager and cc Acura corporate. It won't change anything today, but this is contrary to the brand perception Acura wants to address.

Have you tried Acura Roadside Assistance?

In any event, don't let this Grinch ruin your Christmas. You are far better than these trolls and your friends and family deserve the best Christmas ever. Even if that means arriving by donkey. Rise above it, find humor in it and take action with the dealership and Acura after your holiday.

Merry Christmas.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:47 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Yes, I would try the general manager route. It can work wonders.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:13 PM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

Thanks guys. The general manager is off for the holidays so the only person I could speak to was the finance manager. Our RL is back in our garage and I've made an appointment for them to come pick it up after the new years.

We were unable to find a rental in time so we've decided to fly to Logan tonight in time for Christmas. I just hope it isnt raining when we return on the 2nd.

Happy Holidays!
Old 12-26-2007, 11:20 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rain-X works wonders. You don't need wipers (except for snow) when you treat with Rain-X. I've been using it religiously for years....works great.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Doesn't AcuraCare cover trip interruption reimbursement? I'd imagine a car rental would be included. Did you try calling them?

LL
Old 12-27-2007, 10:48 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gavine
Rain-X works wonders. You don't need wipers (except for snow) when you treat with Rain-X. I've been using it religiously for years....works great.
Dang. That's a great suggestion (no joking either). Didn't think of that one...