Winter salt problem on RL wind shield

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 11:50 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Winter salt problem on RL wind shield

Does anyone has this issue during the winter season, it is difficult to keep the 2005 RL wind shield clean from the salt on the road, it ends up with a white flim across the eye level of the wind shield. It appear the wind shield wiper and spray is not designed for the Northeast winter climate. I have the dealer adjusted the wiper, the jet spray and it still seems to have the same problem.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:30 PM
Advanced

I'll let you know when winter arrives in the Washington, D.C. area. I'm hoping not to have the problem you described.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:44 PM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
No problem with My RL windshield. Works just fine for me in the Northeast.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Welcome to Acurazine!

I have been through two big storms here in Cleveland so far this season, and the only problem I have is that I ran out of window washer fluid once while on the freeway. The stock, brand new wiper blades work fine for me. Could it be that you need new wiper blades? Or need to switch to Bosch or Silblades?
Old 12-19-2006, 01:13 PM
9th Gear

The dealer did changed a brand new set of wiper for me and balanced the jet spread. I think the problem maybe due to the very large left wiper, when snow or ice build up, it reduced the wiper contact on the glass and does not clean the glass as well as the smaller wiper.

I have not try other wiper yet. but will give it a try.

I wonder if Acura has changed the wiper system on 2006.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:54 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
I had a problem where the driver's side washer nozzle was aimed too low. As a result it didn't spray high enough to get the glass clean. Dealer adjusted it. They mentioned that it's a known issue.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:13 PM
Advanced

I don't know if this is your problem, or if it will help, but my Subaru's glass needed to be cleaned with Bon Ami kitchen counter cleaner before it would come clean with window cleaner or washer fluid. It seemed like a greasy fog.

The Bon Ami did a perfect job, just make sure you have a hose to squirt off the excess powder.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:00 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Qest
I don't know if this is your problem, or if it will help, but my Subaru's glass needed to be cleaned with Bon Ami kitchen counter cleaner before it would come clean with window cleaner or washer fluid. It seemed like a greasy fog.

The Bon Ami did a perfect job, just make sure you have a hose to squirt off the excess powder.
And for what it's worth, I have also found that RainX really works, only for about 30 days, but the difference is very noticeable, at least in the rain. With the weather at 70 degrees the other day, I doubt we will be having any snow soon. Washington Post has just noted how since 1990, our winter climate has become noticeably warmer, dumping us from the -10 to zero range to the zero to 10 range for lowest annual temperature.

If you really want to spend some money, there is an architectural product called Diamon Fusion $225 here to apply to a car windshield, which is supposed to be like a more permanent RainX, and also strengthens the windshield, and lessens its vulnerability to pitting and cracking. Supposedly the product is even being used on vehicles in Iraq, not for the bullets and shrapnel, but for the sand.

Don't know if the stuff works, and $225 is kind of big experiment.

http://www.diamonfusion.com/
Old 12-28-2006, 03:07 AM
Instructor

I used Rain-X for over 15 years, but recently switched over to a product called AquaPel, made by PPG. This is a longer-lasting (but more expensive) coating for your windows. This comes standard on the front glass of Lexus vehicles when purchased new. Usually it's sold for around $30 an application by "professionals" but I've bought it on eBay before, for about $5 an application (it lasts about 6-8 months per app.) I had a 24-case delivered to me for about $112 with shipping included.

Randy

http://www.ppg.com/gls_aquapel/
Old 12-28-2006, 09:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Meteor06RL
I'll let you know when winter arrives in the Washington, D.C. area. I'm hoping not to have the problem you described.

I am in DC area too,and I and hoping to never see any salt this year. The RL windshied wipers seem to work well for me. (06)
Old 12-28-2006, 10:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by RandyChicago
I used Rain-X for over 15 years, but recently switched over to a product called AquaPel, made by PPG. This is a longer-lasting (but more expensive) coating for your windows. This comes standard on the front glass of Lexus vehicles when purchased new. Usually it's sold for around $30 an application by "professionals" but I've bought it on eBay before, for about $5 an application (it lasts about 6-8 months per app.) I had a 24-case delivered to me for about $112 with shipping included.

Randy

http://www.ppg.com/gls_aquapel/
I'm a Rain-X believer, too. However, If AquaPel lasts longer, it may be worth the money spent up front. Same logic as Zaino. I apply Zaino twice a year. Sure, it costs almost $100 to cover 2-3 applications, including enough Zaino car wash to get me through a year, but if I waxed the car every week I'd spend a lot more than that.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:08 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Well since we are on this topic. anyone heard of Diamon Fusion. It is supposed to be a windshield treatment that acts like rainX in many ways, but its real claim to fame is supposed to be a strengthening of the glass, up to 10x, so it is more chip resistant. It has been an architectural coating for granite and glass, and has migrated to autos. Supposedly, it is being used on vehicles in Iraq to resist the scouring sand (not the bullets)

$225 an application, good for 5 years.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:34 AM
9th Gear

New windshield mod to be installed

The dealer just called to setup an appointment to install a new windshield arm mod next week. They acknoledged this is a common problem in the Northeast area when salt is used on the road. They claim this new windshield will add more pressure onto the glass during higher speed driving (> 45MPH). It sounded like this will address the issue I have reported to Acura last 2 years. Stay tune for more update.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Interesting. I wonder whether this is yet another problem specific to the 2005 RL?

Thanks for the update and do keep us posted.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:30 PM
Racer

I hope they aren't going to simply add those little wiper louvers (or spoilers) that use the wind to "push-down" on the blades. If so, that would be cheesy.

Keep us posted.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:12 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
The Acura Vigors had something like that. It wasn't a louvre, but a flat peice of plastic on the driver side wiper. Going at highway speeds with the wipers going, you could actually see the downwipe was slower than the upwipe due to the downforce.

It really wasn't bad looking.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
I wonder whether this is yet another problem specific to the 2005 RL?
I doubt it. The dealer swapped out just about my entire wiper drive train (arms, blades, linkages, everything but the motor) on my '06 to try to get them to stop squeaking (he said Acura notified them of wiper issues...didn't say if it was a TSB or not). It didn't stop the squeaking, which did stop when I switched to PIAA Super Silicone inserts.

LL
Old 04-24-2007, 11:02 AM
9th Gear

Ok, I have my entire wiper replaced today, told the dealer two hours to replace it. The service rep mentioned a new motor as well. Acura added a spoiler to add extra force during high speed driving. The only thing I notice while driving home, is the new wiper not sweeping all the way to the driver side, it stop about 4 inches from the edge. I'll ask the dealer is there something they can adjust during my next visit.

It appears the new whiper design should works better than the original one I have before (no squeaking noice or skipping), but I will have to wait for the next snow storm to test and verify it.