Windshield Wiper TSB

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 01:17 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windshield Wiper TSB

There is a TSB (007-009) for all '05-'07 RLs.
Designed for those with problems clearing snow or slush, the TSB replaces the wiper arm, blade assembly and wiper linkage assembly to add more pressure against the windshield.

Just had this done. I'll have to wait awhile for snow, but it seems to significantly improve wiper performance at highway speeds.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:34 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by michaelbmenaker
Designed for those with problems clearing snow or slush, the TSB replaces the wiper arm, blade assembly and wiper linkage assembly to add more pressure against the windshield.

Just had this done. I'll have to wait awhile for snow, but it seems to significantly improve wiper performance at highway speeds.
Do you have a link on the web for this? I have a 2006 and noticed when I'm on the highway...the wipers don't clear everything. It leaves behind a lot on the windshiled. I recently was back at the dealer for an oil change and they changed out new wiper inserts as a courtesy b/c I'm still under warranty. It has improved, but I do still see issues when going higher speeds. I thought it was probably a pressure issue, but now this confirms it. Thanks-
Old 08-06-2007, 02:43 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
For my 07 it seems to clean ok (only 4 months old), but there's excessive noise at the top of the cycle. Almost sounds like when the window is too dry, but, this actually happens more when it's raining hard
Old 08-06-2007, 03:56 PM
'06 RL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, link, please. I asked for the wiper TSB to be done, and my dealer said "No such thing for the RL, it's for the TSX." Which seemed like a load of malarkey, as the RL wipers are one of the real weak points of the car.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:02 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
For my 07 it seems to clean ok (only 4 months old), but there's excessive noise at the top of the cycle. Almost sounds like when the window is too dry, but, this actually happens more when it's raining hard
+1... under heavy downpour, wiper blades made noise as if windshield was too dry.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:02 PM
Go Big Blue!

These car mechanics. They're either all idiots, dishonest, or both.

This is a handy link on edmunds. I use it often. I knew about this TSB but ignored it because I live in Florida. Now that someone said it helped with driving rain I think I'll get it done.

http://www.edmunds.com/maintenance/M...vlet?submit=GO
Old 08-06-2007, 04:06 PM
'06 RL

Component Description:
2. VISIBILITY:REAR WINDOW WIPER/WASHER
Bulletin Number: 07009
Bulletin Date: FEB 2007
Vehicle: 2006 Acura RL

Summary:
WINDSHIELD WIPER DOESN'T CLEAN SNOW OR SLUSH FROM THE WINDSHIELD. ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 10021481 )

See, it says "Rear Window" -- just wondering if that's a typo,since the RL doesn't HAVE a rear wiper.

If anyone has access to the database and can pull a PDF of this one I'd be very interested in seeing it.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:37 PM
'06 RL

OK, I found it. Here's the link:

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/B07-009.PDF

It has nothing to do with the rear window, and it's clearly for the RL.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I picked up my RL in the rain and the wipers were very noisy, to the point the car was not drivable in the rain. Three was no problme clearing rain or snow, just the noise.

The dealer replaed the blades - still noisy. They cleaned the windshield with some "insustrial" product - quiet for a little while but the noise came back. Replaces the blades again - nothing. Performed the TSB - still noisy.

I finally bought a set of PIAA Super Silicone inserts and the noise was gone.

LL
Old 08-09-2007, 08:24 AM
Go Big Blue!

I did a search online real quick. First link I went to was tirerack.com. Put in my requirements for 2007 Acura Rl and it said none available. Do you have a link to where you bought those and/or an item#
Old 08-09-2007, 09:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
I did a search online real quick. First link I went to was tirerack.com. Put in my requirements for 2007 Acura Rl and it said none available. Do you have a link to where you bought those and/or an item#
http://www.cardomain.com/shoplist~t~Wiper+Blade+Refills

Part nos. PIA94048 (19" passenger side - $6.95) and PIA94070 (driver side 28" - $8.95). Assuming that the 2007 RL has the same size wipers as the 2005 RL.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:32 AM
Go Big Blue!

Thanks dw
Old 01-16-2008, 12:20 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by dwboston
http://www.cardomain.com/shoplist~t~Wiper+Blade+Refills

Part nos. PIA94048 (19" passenger side - $6.95) and PIA94070 (driver side 28" - $8.95). Assuming that the 2007 RL has the same size wipers as the 2005 RL.
I could no longer find them on cardomain, but thanks to the part numbers you gave I found them at Auto Barn for $6.99 and $8.99, shipping to CA was $6.25 (ground) with $0 tax.

Pete
Old 01-16-2008, 02:01 AM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Do the wiper/blade assemblies mentioned have the pivot with the 2 holes for the screws to mount to the arm?
I got burnt once (and deserved it) by using a blade replacement index at one of the auto stores. The was only (1) manufacturer that had the 06 RL replacements. There was no way to mount the blade to the arm, and the driver side blade was 22" long, when it needed to be 28".
Old 01-16-2008, 08:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Just installed new inserts (about $15 with tax) that I got at the dealer the other day. They must be silicone from the color of them, plus my hands were a mess after the install from some kind of graphite(?) coating that was on them. Why did Acura go with this type of wiper when all newer cars seem to the have the "beam" type? Some relative of an Acura engineer must have been in the wiper business. Hopefully, we will not see them on the '09 RL.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:14 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by calvin_hobbes
+1... under heavy downpour, wiper blades made noise as if windshield was too dry.
+1, 08 RL.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by petemc
I could no longer find them on cardomain, but thanks to the part numbers you gave I found them at Auto Barn for $6.99 and $8.99, shipping to CA was $6.25 (ground) with $0 tax.

Pete
Yeah I just replaced the inserts on my RL and my wife's 06 MDX and cardomain didn't have them listed. I used Auto Barn as well.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:00 PM
Unemployed or retired?

Originally Posted by michaelbmenaker

The wipers on my car just weren't much good in heavy rain on the highway. I had the TSB done today and there is a very noticeable difference just with rain. I'm sure they will be much better in the snow also. It is a noticeable design change and take the wiper from being so so to very effective.

My dealer did it no charge. Print this and take it with you to the dealer:

TSB Publication
Old 01-17-2008, 07:21 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Thank you

I will use this when I get the PS hose done, and an oil change.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:13 PM
Racer

I noticed the same issue on my 07.. ... under heavy downpour, wiper blades made noise as if windshield was too dry..

also was in Tahoe on Monday and went to Mt Rose, and it was snowing heavily and my wipers would not remove the snow. I was so blinded, and it was snowing so hard, I couldn't see the road in front of me.. I turned the heater up to high and defrost on and it started to melt, but I think the wipers should have done their job and removed the snow. Btw.. I snowboarded and there was so much fresh powder. My car did not have chains going over 80 or up to Mt Rose and I never felt any kind of sliding or traction issues.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:49 AM
Moto Enthusiast

^^ I've also experienced the crappy wipers going up to Sierra at Tahoe and have to consistently use the spray. It typically makes things worse. Anyhow, I had the TSB done and things are looking much clearer now, at least in the rain. I'm going to have to test it out in the snow soon.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:55 PM
Advanced

Service Bulletin 07-009 (Wipers)

I had the TSB done a few weeks ago, but noticed that the driver's side blade stopped about 4" from the ‘A’ pillar. I brought the car back to the dealer and he said that all he could do was rotate the wiper arm clockwise on the shaft so that it now cleans the upper part of the windshield. The problem is that the blade now doesn't park behind the cowl. I will bring the back to the dealer Saturday to see what he can do. It seems that the arc now swept is smaller than before, and the dealer said that it isn’t adjustable. I was better off before the dealer “fixed it”. I asked him to put the old parts back, but he told me that they threw my parts away, and they are no longer listed on his microfiche. (This sounds fishy to me). I took some pictures, but apparently I’m not allowed to post attachments. I’ll post an update next week.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by parlownr
I had the TSB done a few weeks ago, but noticed that the driver's side blade stopped about 4" from the ‘A’ pillar. I brought the car back to the dealer and he said that all he could do was rotate the wiper arm clockwise on the shaft so that it now cleans the upper part of the windshield. The problem is that the blade now doesn't park behind the cowl. I will bring the back to the dealer Saturday to see what he can do. It seems that the arc now swept is smaller than before, and the dealer said that it isn’t adjustable. I was better off before the dealer “fixed it”. I asked him to put the old parts back, but he told me that they threw my parts away, and they are no longer listed on his microfiche. (This sounds fishy to me). I took some pictures, but apparently I’m not allowed to post attachments. I’ll post an update next week.
Did they just leave the wipers in the "winter park" position? You can push them both down along the plane of the windshield so they will rest under the cowl.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:32 PM
Advanced

No, if I put them in the winter position they are both higher. It is only the driver's side that is too high now. The other problem with the driver's side arm too high is that the washer nozzle begins to spray on the arm instead of the windshield. Then when the wipers are off, water continues to drip/ splash onto the windshield from the arm. If the dealer could just increase the arc of the arm, it could clean the entire windshield and park properly. I am hoping that there is an adjustable stop inside the wiper linkage assembly.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:15 PM
White and Nerdy

Damn, just went to the dealer for the recall, should have mentioned this as well. I guess I can get it done at the next oil change.

Thanks for posting!!!
Old 01-30-2008, 07:29 PM
Advanced

Good news--
The dealer replaced the wiper linkage and now everything is fine. The driver's side blade comes to about 1 1/2" from the a-pillar and also parks behind the cowl, as it should. Now if I could only get my dash rattle fixed!!
Old 01-30-2008, 08:01 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by parlownr
Good news--
The dealer replaced the wiper linkage and now everything is fine. The driver's side blade comes to about 1 1/2" from the a-pillar and also parks behind the cowl, as it should. Now if I could only get my dash rattle fixed!!

ARRRGGHHH!!!!

I just had the TSB performed today (It should have been performed a week ago when I took my car in for my A1 service and recall work . . . as I had given them a weeks notice that I wanted it done - but that is another story).

Anyway, I got there a little after 9AM, and they were working on my care before 10. I figured even if they've never done one of these before I should be out by 11. Around 10:30 they seemed to be having some sort of trouble with an adjustment. For the next hour they kept pulling the wiper assembly off adjusting it and putting it back on. Around 11:45 the mechanic gets on the phone with acura. Finally around noon the service advisor tells me he's giving me a loaner.

I get a call around 2:30 that they discussed with acura and it is adjusted fine now.

I picked it up at 4:30 and took it to be filled up and got it washed washed. (Silly me, I had somehow thought it might be washed by the dealer given that they had my car all day).

Anyway, Guess what? My left hand wiper stops 2 3/4 inches short of where the old one did - or about 4" from the pillar.

For those of you that haven't experienced this - it is quite a bit worse then it sounds. The arc of the wiper doesnt quite go vertical so the water drips actually fall back down into the wiped area. Even worse is that the four inches of uncleared windshield doesn't sound like much, but due to the angles involved takes out quite a bit of your field of view, especially when negotiating a left turn. It is like wearing blinders on your left side.

parlownr Since you managed to get this resolved, can you PM contact info for your advisor/dealer so I can put the guys at my local dealer in touch with them to figure out how to fix this?

Thanks!
Old 01-30-2008, 08:09 PM
Intermediate

Today the dealer replaced the arm. much less noise.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:20 AM
'06 RL

Originally Posted by VPescado
Anyway, Guess what? My left hand wiper stops 2 3/4 inches short of where the old one did - or about 4" from the pillar.
I had the same problem. It's apparently an easy fix (take the arm off and put it on in the right position...) although they wound up putting a second wiper arm on for me because the first one had a rattling spring, which was beyond irritating.

You'd think that an Acura certified tech could change a wiper arm.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:07 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
My RL is in right now getting the recall, wiper TSB, oil change, and rear diff.(and hopefully wash) I checked my mileage, so god help the tech that takes it out to lunch.

I waited until now to give the tech some practice with some else's RL

I have an 08 Silver MDX loaner with 3500 on the clock. VERY nice, but I'm not too impressed with the steering wheel buttons.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:54 PM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Just got the RL back from the above service($125), nice and clean. The wiper goes all the way over now

The Loaner MDX's Manumatic shifted just as slow as the RL does. Oh well.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:07 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jftjr
I had the same problem. It's apparently an easy fix (take the arm off and put it on in the right position...) although they wound up putting a second wiper arm on for me because the first one had a rattling spring, which was beyond irritating.

You'd think that an Acura certified tech could change a wiper arm.
My dealer first tried this easy fix, but after the fix, the wiper did indeed move closer to the a-pillar, but then it didn't move down low enough to properly park behind the cowl. jftjr- check your (driver's side) blade with the wipers off, and make sure that it is close (less than 1") from the bottom stop. Mine was about 2" away!
Old 03-07-2008, 06:00 AM
Intermediate

UPDATE:

After having a heart-to-heart with the service manager, and supplying the name/phone number of the service manager at the dealership that parlownr used, they have fixed the problem with the sweep of the left hand blade.

Apparently they talked to the other dealer and to Acura and the solution is to use the original left-hand wiper arm with the new linkage, etc. Apparently, this is a problem that Acura is hearing about but doesn't consider it a big enough problem to publish any notes/TSBs or even acknowledge it when my dealer first called them adter first performing the TSB (as it was obvious that there was a problem). The service manager at the dealership I went to is (understandably) unhappy with how Acura is dealing with it.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:01 AM
Intermediate

UPDATE:

After having a heart-to-heart with the service manager, and supplying the name/phone number of the service manager at the dealership that parlownr used, they have fixed the problem with the sweep of the left hand blade.

Apparently they talked to the other dealer and to Acura and the solution is to use the original left-hand wiper arm with the new linkage, etc. Apparently, this is a problem that Acura is hearing about but doesn't consider it a big enough problem to publish any notes/TSBs or even acknowledge it when my dealer first called them adfter initially performing the TSB (as it was obvious that there was a problem). The service manager at the dealership I went to is (understandably) unhappy with how Acura is dealing with it.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:10 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Recently had the B16 service and brought in the TSB for wiper issue, and they said they adjusted the tension on the wiper arm. Since they did that, I have seen a huge improvement when it rains. Good TSB post!
Old 03-08-2008, 03:06 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't know if they actually adjusted anything, but I just had my wiper blades (inserts) replaced and now my RL has the best wiper action of any car I've owned. The windshield now super-clean in both heavy and light rain (I used to have to apply some washer fluid in light rain conditions).
Old 03-09-2008, 05:29 PM
Instructor

Do the PIAA wiper blade inserts fit in the stock wiper arm or does the whole arm need to be replaced?
Old 03-13-2008, 09:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by tasdisr
Do the PIAA wiper blade inserts fit in the stock wiper arm or does the whole arm need to be replaced?
They slide right into the OEM blades. I removed the blades (2 small screws each) just to make it a bit easier but others have noted replacing them while still on the car.

LL
Old 03-13-2008, 01:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by lland
They slide right into the OEM blades. I removed the blades (2 small screws each) just to make it a bit easier but others have noted replacing them while still on the car.

LL
Thanks!! I think I will order a set and give them a try.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:43 AM
Indian Acura Driver

Wow...never had this problem ever :S

Is it just a US RL thing?

Quick Reply: Windshield Wiper TSB