Windows Auto-Reverse Feature

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 04:54 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windows Auto-Reverse Feature

I thought i'd demonstrate the auto-reverse feature to my friend and to my embarrassment, it didn't seem to work. I then tried it with a bundle of straws and the window just went ALL the way up, bending the straws - yikes! Anyone test this feature out successfully? I thought maybe it wasn't included in the 2007 RL but alas, it was listed in the specs:

"Front and rear power windows with auto-down/up, auto-reverse and key-off operation" Link
Old 06-21-2007, 04:58 PM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
Did you check

Did you check to see if the switch was pushed over to L or R if not it will not work.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:05 PM
JDM FREAK

I think what AMCL is refering to is the window safty reverse feature.
I dont think a straw is good enough, what i actually do is put my arm, and it'll stop and roll down half way (Try a book)
Just make sure that your not holding the window switch, pull it to automatic and let it roll up on its on, its the only way it works.
The feature is available on all windows and moonroof as well.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:17 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Qatar
I think what AMCL is refering to is the window safty reverse feature.
I dont think a straw is good enough, what i actually do is put my arm, and it'll stop and roll down half way (Try a book)
Just make sure that your not holding the window switch, pull it to automatic and let it roll up on its on, its the only way it works.
The feature is available on all windows and moonroof as well.
I initially used my fingers to push it down (after clicking the auto-up) but it continued its course. I admit, i chickened out and didn't leave my fingers in there. I didn't want to use a hard object cuz i didn't want to end up breaking the window motor assembly... somehow.

I saw a dealer video demonstration (posted here somewhere) and the guy simply used his fingers to effortlessly make the windows auto-reverse. I'm just imagining if it were my daughters fingers, it might just get crushed before the windows decide to reverse. Maybe the sensitivity setting is off?
Old 06-21-2007, 05:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
From Page 182 of the 2007 manual.

This indicates that a straw would not do it. It also does NOT indicate how closed is "almost" closed. Fingers at the top of the range, may be like a straw, beyond the threshold for almost closed. Curious, I never tried it that close, but only half way, when I first got the car. I am not in the habit of putting my fingers between a closing window and the frame since this is the first car I have owned with this feature. In fact, until I read about it again, I forgot this car had that feature. It is also a feature in 2006, and I am guessing in 2005, but I don't have that manual.

Auto Reverse
If the window runs into any obstacle
while it is closing automatically, it
will reverse direction, and then stop.
To close the window, remove the
obstacle, then use the window switch
again.

Auto reverse stops sensing when the
window is almost closed. You should
always check that all passengers and
objects are away from the window
before closing it.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:13 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Chas2
From Page 182 of the 2007 manual.

This indicates that a straw would not do it. It also does NOT indicate how closed is "almost" closed. Fingers at the top of the range, may be like a straw, beyond the threshold for almost closed. Curious, I never tried it that close, but only half way, when I first got the car. I am not in the habit of putting my fingers between a closing window and the frame since this is the first car I have owned with this feature. In fact, until I read about it again, I forgot this car had that feature. It is also a feature in 2006, and I am guessing in 2005, but I don't have that manual.

Auto Reverse
If the window runs into any obstacle
while it is closing automatically, it
will reverse direction, and then stop.
To close the window, remove the
obstacle, then use the window switch
again.

Auto reverse stops sensing when the
window is almost closed. You should
always check that all passengers and
objects are away from the window
before closing it.

If that's the case then it's not covering all the scenarios possible to be a useful safety feature.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:34 PM
JDM FREAK

i have put my fingers (with gloves on) and it reversed after a bit of pressure.
i tried my arm.
why dont you try the moonroof.
Use a book
Old 06-22-2007, 08:03 AM
office monkey

yeah I'd think some simple straw wouldn't be enough to have it work. That would be waaaaaaaay too sensitive to expect. IMO.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:35 AM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Take the leap of faith, just stick your arm out!! It won't even leave a mark. Having your blood pressure tested squeezes your arm more than the Acura will.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:44 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Black Label is right. I tried it the first day I got my car because I have a little dog who loves to ride with her head out the window. The torque sensor is so sensitive it reacts before you even realize it's starting to clamp down. VERY nice feature
Old 06-22-2007, 12:37 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
Black Label is right. I tried it the first day I got my car because I have a little dog who loves to ride with her head out the window. The torque sensor is so sensitive it reacts before you even realize it's starting to clamp down. VERY nice feature

I don't have a little dog to test mine with...can I borrow yours?

<ducking>
Old 06-22-2007, 12:48 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRL
I don't have a little dog to test mine with...can I borrow yours?

<ducking>
Sure Tampa, and you can keep her too. Knee surgery, cataract surgery, bladder stones. I'm going to bronze the litle sh#$ after she dies so I can keep her around long enough to get my money's worth.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:11 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Talking

Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
Sure Tampa, and you can keep her too. Knee surgery, cataract surgery, bladder stones. I'm going to bronze the litle sh#$ after she dies so I can keep her around long enough to get my money's worth.

Yikes! I think I'll use a cat instead.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:15 PM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
The moonroof pinch feature definetly works because I have it on my 04 TL. The windows I'm not sure I will have to try.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:29 PM
Pro

Cat or dog, that is animal cruelty, but a rat should be okay. May be you can also use a pillow, if you are afraid of cracking the window in the process.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:08 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
OK, call me stupid, but I tried this with my finger. It was a strong pinch, but reversed automatically. I would say that if a little kid did this, he/she might cry, but no broken bones or bruises.

Now I don't know what almost closed means, but a finger width still has the sensor working fine. Stick your arm in and it is really no problem, reverses immediately. Put any amount of reverse pressure on it with your arm, and it reverses immediately. By the way, it retracts with about 1/3 of the glass left above the sill.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:18 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Talking

Originally Posted by Chas2
OK, call me stupid, but I tried this with my finger. It was a strong pinch, but reversed automatically. I would say that if a little kid did this, he/she might cry, but no broken bones or bruises.

Now I don't know what almost closed means, but a finger width still has the sensor working fine. Stick your arm in and it is really no problem, reverses immediately. Put any amount of reverse pressure on it with your arm, and it reverses immediately. By the way, it retracts with about 1/3 of the glass left above the sill.

That is how they learn! If there is a little pain, then the memory of the experience remains! *chuckle*. Otherwise it becomes a toy.

Seriously, it is good to know it will not harm, although I will let you all continue to dismember yourselves as the Beta Testers. For all parents willing to test this feature, I applaud you.

And by they way...when I get pinched, I cry too.