Window won't go back up

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 12:17 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window won't go back up

I searched, but couldn't find this problem. My window goes down, but won't go back up. I took it to the dealer, and they said that the aftermarket tint has caused the window to bind and come off the rail. The sensor detects excessive pressure on the rail and won't let the glass come back up.

They now have to remove the door panel and repair the rail, and remove the tint.

Has anyone else seen this?
Old 09-15-2005, 12:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like bs to me... never heard of that. I have tints on my window and they are fine.. I guess it is always a possibility - but I still say bs on your dealers part. I don't know how a thin sheet of film can possibly do that to your window.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:20 PM
office monkey

I agree about it being BS. I have tint and no problems.

Sounds like a typical dealer passing off the blame to you/others because you got something done to the car rather than them saying it is simply a problem with the product they sell.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:21 PM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with vp, it sounds like BS.

What about snow and ice? If you had a thin sheet of ice on your windows, in theory, your windows shouldnt roll back up then huh?
Old 09-15-2005, 01:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
This is the inherent danger in using aftermarket products - it gives the dealer a reason to refuse to do warranty work. That said, it is possible, if not probable, that the problem with your window is related to the tinting. Remember that tinting applicators range in quality and you may have been pushed off to the shop rookie who made a rookie mistake and screwed up your window. Unfortunately, the shop that did your tinting will likely decide that the problem is caused by a faulty window and not their tinting and the issue degrades into a finger pointing contest. It may be worthwhile convincing the tinting shop to have a technician present when the door panel is removed so that the cause of the problem can be establised, blame laid and repairs expedited. Good luck.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The dealer cannot refuse the warranty work (no charge to you) unless they can specifically PROVE your tint job caused the problem. Any respectible dealer will just fix it without fighting with you on it.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:41 PM
Unemployed or retired?

Originally Posted by vp911
Sounds like bs to me... never heard of that. I have tints on my window and they are fine.. I guess it is always a possibility - but I still say bs on your dealers part. I don't know how a thin sheet of film can possibly do that to your window.

I have to disagree on this one. Engineers are constantly trying to tighten up the tolerances on windows and the supporting hardware. Wind noise is one of enemies of a quieter interior. Tighter tolerances cut down on windflow. Also the co efficent of friction between glass and a tint has to be quite different so anything that does rub is going to be a problem.

Just my opinion.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:03 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the comments.

Personally, I tend to agree with the dealer on this issue. The tint shop didn't do a very good job, and the RL is a VERY VERY hard car to tint. It has all the mouldings for noise canceling that it's hard to get around them.

I'll see what the tint shop has to say about it.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:14 PM
office monkey

the only way i can see the tint having caused the problem if one of the edges wasnt put on correctly so it was peeling off and got all mangled when you put the window down. I dont think there is any way aside from that where the tint could be the problem.

The RL's windows arent any different than all the other cars I have experience with so if the tint was put on properly it won't mess up the window.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Rob L
the only way i can see the tint having caused the problem if one of the edges wasnt put on correctly so it was peeling off and got all mangled when you put the window down.
I'm guessing that is exactly what happened. The RL's windows are very different from other cars in that the RL is the first car ever to have flush side windows - ie. the window glass is flush with the central pillar. This decreases wind noise but may make the windows more prone to problems with improperly installed tint. Again, perfectly installed tint is not an issue. If the tint applicator lowered the window without the tint being set in place along the bottom edge, he may have caused the problem. I make this assumption because I have seen some of the 15 year old drop-outs that work in some of these automotive establishments and I wouldn't trust them with a bicycle let alone my RL. One such rookie screwed up my TPMS sensors when I had my tires mounted on my 18's and I ended up with 3 flat tires on the drive home. It is definitely worthwhile insisting on the senior technicians. Just my .02.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:12 PM
Instructor

So, this problem is caused by tint but also becuase of the specific design of the RL, but only one person has had this problem? I don't have my car tinted, but that would seem to defy the law of probability.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:59 AM
Instructor

I had someone drive me and I sat in the window where this was the problem. I could hear more wind noise than other windows. I guess it's not sealing correctly.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:57 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by g6civcx
I searched, but couldn't find this problem. My window goes down, but won't go back up. I took it to the dealer, and they said that the aftermarket tint has caused the window to bind and come off the rail. The sensor detects excessive pressure on the rail and won't let the glass come back up.

They now have to remove the door panel and repair the rail, and remove the tint.

Has anyone else seen this?
I thought you were an Acura tech?

MW
Old 09-19-2005, 04:19 PM
office monkey

Originally Posted by spacklebucket
So, this problem is caused by tint but also becuase of the specific design of the RL, but only one person has had this problem? I don't have my car tinted, but that would seem to defy the law of probability.
I dont think it is caused by either of those. I think it is simply someone putting tint on wrong which if the corner comes loose ANY window would get messed up by tint.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Rob L
I dont think it is caused by either of those. I think it is simply someone putting tint on wrong which if the corner comes loose ANY window would get messed up by tint.
I agree. My posts were probably not clear, but my guess is that the problem here is 100% the fault of the technician installing the tint and has nothing to do with the RL's windows.