What problems still exist?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005 | 10:26 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by hondamore
Sorry for the sarcasm, but your Infiniti affinity is getting tiresome - the same point could have been made without mentioning the Infiniti brand name for the 1000th time (this number has been exaggerated for effect).
Anyway, it turns out that I was 100% wrong anyway. I tried my RL key fob with coins and keys all around it and it worked fine. The RFID that the key fob uses is much more powerful than the RFID transponders that I have experience with and the key fob can power through a lot of interferring material. My new theory is that something was pushing one of the buttons on the key fob when I was trying to start the car which caused the RFID to be momentarily stopped, which is why the car wouldn't recognize the key. When I shifted around to turn the knob again, whatever was pushing on the key fob button moved and the car started normally. I have reproduced this problem repeatedly by pushing one of the buttons on the key fob when inside the car and the ignition knob will not turn. This does not absolve Honda of all culpability in this, as perhaps the key fob must be redesigned to make the buttons harder to push when in someone's pocket. That said, how is a car maker supposed to predict the contents of every single drivers pockets and what may or may not accidentally depress the buttons??
Several of the "problems" that have arisen with the RL are eventually proven to be the fault of the owner/driver or other issues NOT related to the actual car. For example, drivers forgetting to turn the ignition knob all the way has been attributed with batteries running dead. This is not a fault of the car but the driver as warning chimes and lights should be adequate to remind the driver to turn the car off when leaving. That said, I am sure that Honda is probably looking to change their system anyway to make even more difficult for this to happen.
A second example of a "problem" that turned out to be nothing, is the accessory power outlet beside the gear shift knob. Many owners complained that their power outlet was "sticky" and "faulty" because it didn't pop up fully when pushed. It turned out that the outlet was deliberately designed this way so that it couldn't be accidentally opened - a safety measure required by the fact that a child could place their fingers inside the opened power outlet and potentially be injured.
You can take the approach that everything that doesn't work perfectly with the RL is automatically a design flaw (something that Infiniti apparently never has), but I take a more scientific approach and try to determine the actual reason for the problem and give the brilliant engineers at Honda the benefit of the doubt. With as much new technology as the RL is blessed with, every owner should have expected some minor issues and be willing to accept that there is a learning curve associated with using these wonderful features.
Well. Having a giant penis, I guess one must expect a few little "inconveniences" in the trousers
Old 09-19-2005 | 10:28 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mrdeeno
since I am in the same boat as msu79gt82 (undecided between the RL and m45), I will put in my 2 cents.

instead of helping me with the info that may sway my decision one way or another, these types of posts are just a waste of bandwidth and server space.
No.

This

is

a

waste

of

band
width

And...
Old 09-19-2005 | 06:33 PM
Advanced

Curry 7.......please let me know when you get your car back from the dealer with the new shift bezel. Good luck........hope it works............maybe this is my problem also.

Thanks.
Old 09-22-2005 | 08:38 AM
Cruisin'

kph3: My creaking center console problem seems to have been fixed by the the replacement of the "shift bezel". Note, though, that on the work order/receipt the dealer referred to it as "replacement of shift plate" rather than "shift bezel". Whatever, I think you know what I mean - it's the plastic rectangle that fits between the two sides of the center console. I am VERY happy to have a quiet interior, and I'm enjoying the car now as much as I originally expected.

The dealer also went ahead and did a fix on the rear window area (auto-shade?) rattle and front center speaker rattle, neither of which I had noticed, but for which he said he had service bulletins and might as well fix while the car was in for the other problem. Unfortunately, it looks like he totally forgot to perform the XM radio service bulletin repair (for info-delay) as I had asked him to do. Oh well, as long as the car is quiet and I can enjoy the music, I can live with the info delay. All I have to do is press the the big ENTER button anyway, and the info updates right away.

Lovin' my car again!
Ask your dealer to replace that center panel/bezel, and hopefully it'll work for you as well as it did for me. Good luck!
Old 09-22-2005 | 10:51 AM
Intermediate

Squeaking increasing

Curry...I have noticed a marked increase in the squeaking coming from the center console. It stops when I press on the "wood like piece" above the coin/ash tray. Is this the same spot you are speaking of? I have not been in yet. Still waiting for my XM radio letter and will then schedule appointment. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Old 09-23-2005 | 08:57 AM
Cruisin'

pek01 - No, that's a different piece. My squeaking was from the horizontal section running between the two front seats, generally located around the shifter but the squeak moved around a little as the dealer applied foam tape under different areas. Replacing the plastic rectangle (it's taupe in my car) under the shifter seems to have resolved the issue.

You definitely need to get your dealer to work on that squeak. I don't know what the specific cause of your squeak is, but there's no reason you should have to live with something like that when you've bought a car like the RL. If pressing on that "wood-like piece" makes the squeak stop, maybe the dealer could jam some foam tape behind that piece to resolve your problem. Anyway, good luck with it!