What do you miss about your TL?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 08:17 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you miss about your TL?

If you've upgraded from a 3G TL to an RL what do you miss about the TL?

A little tighter size? Nimble? Mileage? A little more sporty?

I'm thinking about getting an RL mostly for AWD but like the TL overall and I'm wondering what I would miss.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:53 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Some of the little things, like the TL's true dual zone a/c, how the CD player pauses when you use the HFL and the Bi-Xenon headlights. Other than that, I really love the RL
Old 09-08-2006, 10:18 AM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My sister *had* an 05 TL that I had the pleasure of driving for 6 months while she was on assignment in overseas, and we own a 05 RL.

The only things I liked about the TL was that it felt a bit quicker off the line and from 30-60 and the svelt body lines, but that's about it. My main complaints with the car were the FWD and subpar build quality. The similarities between the two are the shared voice commands and badges, and that's where it ends. The build quality and materials in the RL are superior and dont feel like a gussied up Accord. I'm also neutral on the touch screen navi on the TL, which is nice, but the knob and screen resolution of the RL make it an even tradeoff.

If youre into luxury, you'll like the RL. If youre a little more sport oriented, then keep the TL or wait for the G35.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:51 AM
Retired and Loving It

My wife has an 05 RL and I just purchased a new 06 TL w/navi. Having driven the RL for over a year, I like the AWD and luxury aspect. It's great for cruising on long trips. The TL on the other hand is a performer. It is more responsive and gets better MPG. The TL is a bargin compaired to others in it's class.

I feel that the fit and finish of the RL is superior to the TL. After one week the TL had to go in for replacement of two interior covers. RL has just been in for normal maintenance.

We love both cars. Both are alike but unique in their own way.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
fuel economy....
Old 09-08-2006, 01:00 PM
'06 Celestial/Black

quicker from a stop and fuel economy (even though my TL was never that big of a saver, averaging 19 mpg, my RL gives me around 15)
Old 09-08-2006, 01:23 PM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Didn't upgrade, but the reason I went with a RL instead of a TL was one simple reason...SH-AWD.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:23 PM
Racer

Not much I miss. I never regetted upgrading. The TL was a bit quicker off the line and I liked the HFL and steering wheel controls a bit better in the TL. The mileage was slightly better ,2mpg. The feel of the RL is much better. I think the RL handles better and is more fun to drive. I do not like the depreciation on the RL but I bought WELL below sticker, whereas the TL was bought slightly below sticker.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:48 PM
Instructor

The toutch screen on the NAV. But the leather quality really sucks on the TL's. What a joke that was.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Reading this thread with interest as I'm genuinely on the fence about upgrading. The RL is awesome, but I thoroughly enjoy the sportiness of the TL, especially in A-Spec form. After test-driving the RL, I found that was the only thing missing in the RL, even with its taut ride. Even so, the RL's interior is far superior to the TL, and its understated looks are attractive too.

Do we get some of the sportiness back with an A-Spec suspsnsion on the RL?
Old 09-16-2006, 12:09 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Reading this thread with interest as I'm genuinely on the fence about upgrading. The RL is awesome, but I thoroughly enjoy the sportiness of the TL, especially in A-Spec form. After test-driving the RL, I found that was the only thing missing in the RL, even with its taut ride. Even so, the RL's interior is far superior to the TL, and its understated looks are attractive too.

Do we get some of the sportiness back with an A-Spec suspsnsion on the RL?
My 05 A-Spec is awesome. Totally new look. I will snap some pictures and post. Also I have the darker chrome A-Spec wheels that look awesome. I had a CL-S and my bro has a TL 05. I drove his TL many, many times, and can tell you that you will fell the difference very much in snow, rain, at 85+mph, when making turns, playing DVD-A, etc .
If you can get the RL for under $43 then get it. It is all worth that $$$. Buy the A-Spec on your own; wheels 1300, kit about 1000.
Old 09-16-2006, 05:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by andrewgg2
My 05 A-Spec is awesome. Totally new look. I will snap some pictures and post. Also I have the darker chrome A-Spec wheels that look awesome. I had a CL-S and my bro has a TL 05. I drove his TL many, many times, and can tell you that you will fell the difference very much in snow, rain, at 85+mph, when making turns, playing DVD-A, etc .
If you can get the RL for under $43 then get it. It is all worth that $$$. Buy the A-Spec on your own; wheels 1300, kit about 1000.
Ah, but of course I'd buy A-Spec on my own, that's how I did it with the TL . Saved mad $$$ that way. I started with the important part--the suspension, which I've seen for the RL on eBay for $600. I personally don't think the A-Spec kit on the RL, except for the wheels, adds to the looks too much, but it could grow on me.

In any case...what is the difference you feel in the RL in the situations you describe above? more stability? Similar sportiness? Less front-heaviness (understeer)/more neutrality in the turns?

Thanks.
Old 09-16-2006, 07:41 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I miss all of the wind noise, having to say all of the voice commands about 20 times to get it right once. I also miss trying to keep the camel leather, and carpet clean. It looked like sh*** from the the day I bought it.

I am sure there are some other things...
Old 09-16-2006, 09:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by atomarchio
I miss all of the wind noise, having to say all of the voice commands about 20 times to get it right once. I also miss trying to keep the camel leather, and carpet clean. It looked like sh*** from the the day I bought it.

I am sure there are some other things...
Yeah, the carpet is a b**ch to keep clean in my ebony interior. I've given up on getting the salt from winter out. The only issue I have with voice commands in the TL is with phone calls. The first call request after starting the car always has to be corrected multiple times, but every call after that works flawlessly. The 3G TL's wind noise is considerably better than with the 2G TL, which I also owned. But you're right, the RL is MUCH quieter than the TL; I can barely hear the engine noise under acceleration.

Edit: I'm going to go back to the dealer today if I've got some time for another test drive. This decision is driving me NUTS.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:44 PM
Racer

I don't miss the crappy leather on the TL. The leather and build quality in the RL is soooo much better.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
Edit: I'm going to go back to the dealer today if I've got some time for another test drive. This decision is driving me NUTS.
Good luck. I drove the TL many times to replace my '95 Legend when I got the go-ahead to expand the search upmarket to the RL, Infiniti M, and Lexus GS.

The RL won the day, and at today's prices is hard to pass up. I preferred the driver's seat of the RL to all the cars I test drove. The driving experience is more sedate than the TL, but I always came away from the TL feeling like it was not that much different than my Legend in spirit -- not quite luxury, not quite sporty.

The RL certainly behaves like my Legend when shifting down (kind of lazy), and the car feels happiest high in the rev range. It would be nice if it were a little more urgent when pressing the go pedal.

Ingress and egress on the RL is a little strange because the car is wide but the seats are well in from the doors. It makes for lots of elbow room, but it is a little strange getting in (I kind of flop in to the car to clear the doorsill).

I'm not coming from a TL, so that would be a heck of a choice. You'd be giving up lower operating costs, higher straight-line performance, lower maintenance costs (I'd guess), and something familiar that you like. I'd think you'd really have to like it to make the change.

The RL can be a gutsy call -- not much name recognition since they dumped the Legend name, and probably lesser resale percentages than its competition and some of its stablemates.

I came away with the RL because it felt like a more complete package than the competition (GS, M), and worth the premium over the TL.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

RobL
Old 09-19-2006, 01:30 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob144
Good luck. I drove the TL many times to replace my '95 Legend when I got the go-ahead to expand the search upmarket to the RL, Infiniti M, and Lexus GS.

The RL won the day, and at today's prices is hard to pass up. I preferred the driver's seat of the RL to all the cars I test drove. The driving experience is more sedate than the TL, but I always came away from the TL feeling like it was not that much different than my Legend in spirit -- not quite luxury, not quite sporty.

The RL certainly behaves like my Legend when shifting down (kind of lazy), and the car feels happiest high in the rev range. It would be nice if it were a little more urgent when pressing the go pedal.

Ingress and egress on the RL is a little strange because the car is wide but the seats are well in from the doors. It makes for lots of elbow room, but it is a little strange getting in (I kind of flop in to the car to clear the doorsill).

I'm not coming from a TL, so that would be a heck of a choice. You'd be giving up lower operating costs, higher straight-line performance, lower maintenance costs (I'd guess), and something familiar that you like. I'd think you'd really have to like it to make the change.

The RL can be a gutsy call -- not much name recognition since they dumped the Legend name, and probably lesser resale percentages than its competition and some of its stablemates.

I came away with the RL because it felt like a more complete package than the competition (GS, M), and worth the premium over the TL.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

RobL

Rob - props to you for a very intelligent and objective summary!