What brand of tint are you using?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 09:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
What brand of tint are you using?

I really want to tint my RL. However, I am having a VERY difficult time choosing.

I prefer ceramic tint, but there are no installers for this within 50 miles of the Cleveland area for the major manufacturers. I also know we can't use metallized tint because of the navi's GPS antenna.

So that leaves dye-based tints. I have contacted one tinter in my area that uses mostly Johnson tinting products. While they prefer to use metallized products, they claim that they can get a ceramic tint from Johnson. Johnson lists no ceramic tints on their corporate website, so that makes me think the tinter doesn't know what he's talking about. So question 1 is, does Johnson actually make a ceramic tint, and are their dye-based tints reputable and long-lasting?

Another local tinter uses SolarGard and Llumar. Are these reputable brands and their dyes long-lasting?

I plan to use a 50% charcoal color tint. Before you say "why tint then?", 50% is the least transmissible light for the front side windows in Ohio; the other windows can be any tint. However, I want the car to have the same tint all around--I don't it looking like an SUV.

Thanks in advance for your opinions!
Old 12-10-2006, 10:03 AM
Retired and Loving It

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bob,
I have 3M ceramic on my 06 TL. It looks great and no problems with navi. Sorry to hear you can't get it in your area. BTW, my wife won't let me tint the widows on HER 05 RL.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:28 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
window tint

I have Solarguard HP Charcoal on my 2003 MDX. Have been very happy with it and like the job the installer did. Its almost 3 years old and no problems
Old 12-10-2006, 12:00 PM
Senior Moderator

The HP is sputter-metallized. What effect did that have on your MDX's navi? Or is it a non-navi model?
Old 12-10-2006, 01:20 PM
Instructor

It hasnt bothered the Navi. Remember it is only on the driverside front and passenger front all the rest were factory tinted
Old 12-10-2006, 02:36 PM
6MT G37

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have Solarguard as well. No problems here.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:16 PM
06 RL - Carbon Gray Pearl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was going to suggest FormulaOne Pinnacle ceramic tint but it does not sound like you have it in your area.

An owner of a local tint shop told me he has installed a bunch of Solarguards (mostly on Tl's) and have no problem whatsoever.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
Llumar is fantastic, it's by 3m. 20 year or lifetime guaruntee.

Old 12-10-2006, 08:30 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by synth19
Llumar is fantastic, it's by 3m. 20 year or lifetime guaruntee.

Had Llumar in my '93 Vigor (for close to 8 years), in my '01 TL (for close to 5 years), and now in my RL.

I have been more than pleased. No problems with the ongevity in the dye. In the RL, I have the Lumar (platinum?) that comes with a lifetime warranty.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Madico Charcool is a hybrid type film that won't interfere with GPS and it's quality stuff.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:35 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I also have the madico charcool and have had no problems whatsoever with the navi. It looks great.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Another question.

I just spoke with a tinter and he indicates that he can do metallized tint on all the windows but the rear (which, of course, has the gps antenna). Sounds reasonable to me as I get the benefit of less likelihood of color change in the other windows, and I still get to use my navi.

Does this sound reasonable to you guys?

Thanks for the madico suggesion guys, I haven't found anyplace around here using that. The tinters around here mostly use Solargard and Llumar, with 1-2 using Johnson films. The reason I asked about Johnson films initially was because the nearest tinter to my location uses that.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:38 AM
Senior Moderator

^ Don't worry about the color change. The better quality tints will not change color. As long as it's backed by a lifetime or 20 year warranty. I would be hesitant about doing two different kinds on a car (metallized vs. non in the rear).
Old 12-12-2006, 04:41 AM
Senior Moderator

How much does metallic tint reduce the effectiveness of a radar detector?

This may end up being a deal-breaker for tint altogether unless I can find someone willing to install ceramic tint. I simply can't believe there's not a ceramic tint installer in the Cleveland area. Is it that difficult to install that no one wants to do it?
Old 12-12-2006, 08:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Just go with the dyed tint (llumar) and call it a day. You won't have any issues and you won't have any color changes as long as you get the lifetime backed product. I believe they have about 7 different films, 2 only have a 3 year warranty, the rest are all lifetime against issues, color change, etc.

Originally Posted by neuronbob
How much does metallic tint reduce the effectiveness of a radar detector?

This may end up being a deal-breaker for tint altogether unless I can find someone willing to install ceramic tint. I simply can't believe there's not a ceramic tint installer in the Cleveland area. Is it that difficult to install that no one wants to do it?
Old 12-12-2006, 09:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by GoHawks
Llumar (platinum?) that comes with a lifetime warranty.
Llumar's Platinum Plus is a sputtered metallized tint. Does it give you any trouble with your navi or radar detector? If not, we have a winner!

Just go with the dyed tint (llumar) and call it a day. You won't have any issues and you won't have any color changes as long as you get the lifetime backed product. I believe they have about 7 different films, 2 only have a 3 year warranty, the rest are all lifetime against issues, color change, etc.
I'm thinking of leaning that way. They also offer hybrid dyed/metallized films. I just don't want any funny navi or V1 issues, so I don't want to make the wrong choice. Llumar's metallized tints are the ones that come with lifetime guarantee, the dyed ones (unless I'm missing one with a lifetime guarantee) have three years.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:19 AM

Llumar's Platinum Plus is a sputtered metallized tint. Does it give you any trouble with your navi or radar detector? If not, we have a winner!
I have had zero Navigation issues. As for radar detector, are you planning to tint the front windshield? If you're worried about radar from the rear, remember that radar bounces around quite a bit so that's not really an issue.

Let me just check to make sure it's the Platinum. All I'm sure of is that it has a lifetime warranty. I actually don't have my car it's in to have my windshield washer nozzle realigned and have a small buzz from the rear package shelf addressed. I have the contract in the glove compartment. I was supposed to get it back last night, but the dealer wanted to make sure they got it and since they had given me an RL loaner they thought I wouldn't mind (I don't).

I should be able to check tonight.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:38 AM
Senior Moderator

^ I think we have the same tint GoHawks? You also went with Tintworks? I have llumar on my Z, no issues for 3 years with the stock navi system. need to find out which one exactly he used. The picture I posted above is from the actual tint shop. My tint guy is kinda hard to reach, but you can try calling Shaded Days in Lake Bluff IL, they use llumar extensively.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:14 AM

^ I think we have the same tint GoHawks? You also went with Tintworks? I have llumar on my Z, no issues for 3 years with the stock navi system. need to find out which one exactly he used. The picture I posted above is from the actual tint shop. My tint guy is kinda hard to reach, but you can try calling Shaded Days in Lake Bluff IL, they use llumar extensively.
Yep used Tintworks. Used Shaded Days in Lake Bluff for my TL. They do great work as well.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:55 AM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Go with Formula One - I have it on my RL after using it on my TL (replaced the piece of trash Llumar or 3M tint). Doesn't interfere and is very thick/durable.

http://www.formulaone.com
Old 12-12-2006, 11:20 AM
Senior Moderator

I would not necessarily call 3m or llumar trash. Perhaps the 3-year version, but not the one guarunteed. I personally arranged 40+ cars from my other car site with a llumar group buy tint. Never heard anyone complain. I also have llumar on my Z, after almost 4 years, no issues.

Originally Posted by lindros2
Go with Formula One - I have it on my RL after using it on my TL (replaced the piece of trash Llumar or 3M tint). Doesn't interfere and is very thick/durable.

Old 12-12-2006, 11:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by lindros2

As I mentioned above, no installers in Cleveland or within 100 miles of it. Don't have time to drive to Chicago or Toledo (5 hours and 2 hours, respectively) for ceramic tint.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:56 AM

I would not necessarily call 3m or llumar trash. Perhaps the 3-year version, but not the one guarunteed. I personally arranged 40+ cars from my other car site with a llumar group buy tint. Never heard anyone complain. I also have llumar on my Z, after almost 4 years, no issues.
Agree. I had Llumar on my Vigor for close to 8 years and on my TL for 5 years. No issues at all.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:30 PM
Instructor

Window Tint

I just spoke to guy that is going to do my 3m bra. He did my Acura MDX (excellent work). I asked for tint when doing bra and he recommended Global tint. Global is dyed tint with lifetime warranty. He does alot of high end cars http://www.ultimateshield.com/index.php
Old 12-12-2006, 12:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Have you gus heard of suntek? Heard some good things about them as well...
Old 12-12-2006, 06:50 PM
Senior Moderator

I have had zero Navigation issues. As for radar detector, are you planning to tint the front windshield? If you're worried about radar from the rear, remember that radar bounces around quite a bit so that's not really an issue.
I don't plan to tint the front window as it's not legal in Ohio. I have a Valentine One detector and so I do have to consider signal from the rear (it's really come in handy!!! )

Navydoc333 also tinted his RL with Llumar and has had no navi trouble. I PM'd him as well to find out the exact type. I have an installer locally who is willing to order the type of nonmetallic Llumar I want. Again, I want to order the right stuff the first time, preferably with a lifetime warranty.

Thanks for all the help so far!
Old 12-12-2006, 10:59 PM

I don't plan to tint the front window as it's not legal in Ohio. I have a Valentine One detector and so I do have to consider signal from the rear (it's really come in handy!!! )

Navydoc333 also tinted his RL with Llumar and has had no navi trouble. I PM'd him as well to find out the exact type. I have an installer locally who is willing to order the type of nonmetallic Llumar I want. Again, I want to order the right stuff the first time, preferably with a lifetime warranty.

Thanks for all the help so far!
Unfortunately my response to you may have to wait another day. Dealer said that they think they fixed the rattle, but wanted it for one more day. They want to check it out when the interior is cold to see if they addressed it. I wasn't compelled to make a fuss since I have an RL loaner and my car is getting a little bit of a mileage break. I'll respond back tomorrow evening.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Thanks again, waiting another day is worth the effort to make the correct long-term choice.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:30 PM

It's Llumar Platinum Plus (AT). Limited Lifetime warranty.

I really don't think this is a metalized tint. The warranty card lists all of their tints and the metalized tints are specifically identified. It doesn't state anywhere that the Platinum Plus is a metalized tint.

On a side note, I found out why my car was delayed. My wife had arranged an early Christmas gift with the service department. She had them install the spoiler.

Looks
Old 12-13-2006, 09:31 PM
Senior Moderator

I've looked around a little more on the TL board, where people are much more into tinting, and found that people are using semi-metallized tints with no effect on the navi. They keep talking about Llumar Titanium, but this is not a currently offered product on Llumar's web site. Given the responses, I expect I'll end up with the ATR charcoal 50% (reducing the VTL to about 41%--75% factory * 55% film, slightly below Ohio's legal limit on the front two windows but not noticeable to the cops) or the Stealth (both dyed/metallized blend. The Platinum Plus seems too reflective for my tastes.

Updates?

Here's Llumar's current product offerings.

Thanks again for all your help! I know I'm overanalyzing this but want to make a good choice.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:34 PM

The Platinum Plus seems too reflective for my tastes.

Updates?

Here's Llumar's current product offerings.

Thanks again for all your help! I know I'm overanalyzing this but want to make a good choice.
Never really noticed that.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Never really noticed that.
I take that back after looking at your car.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2695

That's not reflective at all. If that's Platinum Plus, that looks pretty good.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:54 PM

I've been pretty happy with it and when I had the car in the shop the service manager complimented me again on the tints.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:22 PM
Senior Moderator

OK, I'm done tint-shopping. Llumar Platinum Plus 50% it is! (bloody Ohio tint laws.... )

I'm going to set up the installation tomorrow and hope to have new pics in the next week or two.

Edit: Here are some samles of what Platinum Plus and some other Llumar tints look like.

http://www.creative/Tint%20Samples.htm
Old 12-14-2006, 09:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
I use Rayban's - they are so easy to take on and off for day and night driving. Besides having a car that emulates a limo with whores in the back is something I wanted to avoid.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by db22
I use Rayban's - they are so easy to take on and off for day and night driving. Besides having a car that emulates a limo with whores in the back is something I wanted to avoid.
I've got a pair of sunglasses in the car so I can deal with the bright light coming from the windshield.

Putting 50% tint on our stock 75% tint should result in a tasteful and legal combination. I'll have pix after the install on Saturday.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:06 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Well, you've obviously made your decision, but I personally stay away from tints with ANY metal.

My wife's Caddy STS got tinted with a sputtered metallized tint while I wasn't looking (she liked the blackish color as opposed to greenish tints) and it even reduced the range on her FM radio (antenna embedded in rear window). We took it on a trip and radio stations she could formerly get 100 miles from home died out after 60 miles or so.

Her car doesn't have Nav, so that's not a problem, but I have no doubt it affects reception.

I'm with synth - just go with a good-quality dyed tint and you'll be good. If it does fade, which is unlikely in the first 7-10 years, just get it redone under warranty.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:42 PM

I still don't think there is metal in the Platinum tints. I have no issues with reception. I always have the GPS icon showing full signal strength and for the few times I listen to OTA broadcasts, no issues with reception.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:42 PM
Senior Moderator

I'm still fine-tuning my decision......may go with non-metallic Llumar on the rear to be safe. Also found that Johnson's Greystone has a lifetime warranty and is nonmetallic; it is touted as safe for gps. The installer is also on the same side of town as me.

Tough decisions! Will sleep on it.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:21 AM
Senior Moderator

I still don't think there is metal in the Platinum tints. I have no issues with reception. I always have the GPS icon showing full signal strength and for the few times I listen to OTA broadcasts, no issues with reception.
Nope, the Platinum is fully metallized with a "sputterized Llumalloy". Maybe they installed a non-metallized tint in your rear window--most of the tinters I called are cognizant of cars with navis.

I decided not to take any chances. I have an appointment set up to get the Johnson Greystone 50% (lifetime warranty) next week at a shop close to my office. With the 75% factory tint, that will net me 38% VLT (0.51 * 0.75), a bit below what's acceptible on the front side windows in Ohio. Will let all know how it goes! Part of my decision was practicality--if I have an issue with the tint I don't want to drive all the way to the other side of town to get it looked at.

Quick Reply: What brand of tint are you using?