Weird Issues on my RL

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 08:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
Weird Issues on my RL

So last month I had to replace my battery for the 2nd time in 3 years. I bought a battery from Walmart (hmmm.... is a battery covered under warranty)? Recently I noticed my radio flickering. When I say flickering, I mean losing reception momentarily for a 1/2 second or so. First I thought it was the radio station, but the same thing went for the rest of the stations. Today AM I'm driving and same thing is happening. I also try to open my passanger side window, nothing happens... I try the rear windows and nothing happens... until my car completely dies on the road! It was bizarre. Luckily, I was able to limp the car into the shoulder. I put the car in park, and luckily it started with some hesitation. Any ideas what the problem might be? Electrical? Alternator? Car is scheduled to be brought in on Friday. Unfortunately I need to drive the car for the next several days, so hopefully something like this doesn't happen again....
Old 12-02-2008, 09:47 AM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by synth19
So last month I had to replace my battery for the 2nd time in 3 years. I bought a battery from Walmart (hmmm.... is a battery covered under warranty)? Recently I noticed my radio flickering. When I say flickering, I mean losing reception momentarily for a 1/2 second or so. First I thought it was the radio station, but the same thing went for the rest of the stations. Today AM I'm driving and same thing is happening. I also try to open my passanger side window, nothing happens... I try the rear windows and nothing happens... until my car completely dies on the road! It was bizarre. Luckily, I was able to limp the car into the shoulder. I put the car in park, and luckily it started with some hesitation. Any ideas what the problem might be? Electrical? Alternator? Car is scheduled to be brought in on Friday. Unfortunately I need to drive the car for the next several days, so hopefully something like this doesn't happen again....
Definitely an electrical gremlin. Maybe the walmart battery was not a great idea. My battery died last year, its demise was preceded by electrical gremlins too. Once replaced, all the bugs disappeared. BTW I took it to my local honda dealer twice and they said the battery was fine. Finally, I just droped by my acura dealer, bought a battery and replaced it myself, problem solved. I think that what was causing all the battery issues was a faulty trunk opener to begin with. It stopped functioning and was replaced too. More info, your window problems is also related to the battery, if the car losses all power the windows have to be "reset" so the auto function works again. Lower them all the way then double click down, raise them all the way and double click up. Im talking out of memory so the procedure maybe wrong, check your owners manual (i really don't remember where I read the procedure) Again, the reason for your problem is the battery, the alternator is easy to rule out by a charging system test, if that is fine you are having something discharge the battery when the car is off, a common culprit is the trunk opening system. Good luck

Last edited by RL06tech; 12-02-2008 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:56 AM
Senior Moderator

^ I definitely know the trunk issue is there. It was the reason I had to replace my battery the first time. Someone refresh my memory, was there a fix for the trunk release? I've stopped using it since the first time I had the issue...
Old 12-02-2008, 05:12 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
My battery was replaced under warranty @ 45XXX miles just last month. I bought the RL in Sept. '06.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:21 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
It was mentioned in this thread. Also mention of a potential drain by HFL. Both apparently were software upgrades performed on some 2005 models.

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...php?p=10034592
Old 12-02-2008, 07:14 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RL06tech
Maybe the walmart battery was not a great idea. .
:
For what it's worth, Consumer Reports tests batteries almost every year and Walmart's Batteries (Everstart) consistently rank at or near the top of the rankings. I believe they are made by Exide.

I have had one for over five years in my Acura and it still starts fine.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:38 PM
Intermediate

Over the years I've purchased different brands of batteries before I learned there are only really 3 main companies that manufacture most batteries...Johnson controls, Exide and another one I don't recall. This said, I've purchased over 20 walmart batteries for personal vehicles over the last 10 years and probably 70-80 for customer vehicles. I have yet to get a bad battery and have had to only take one back under warranty after almost 3 years of abuse. Walmart's no question warranty policy (as long as you have receipt) also makes them an attractive option. I'm sold on them and unless the quality changes, I'll keep purchasing. It is possible to get an old battery from Walmart that might cause issues but if you get a fresh one you'll likley have good luck. A busy store usually turns over there stock pretty quick where some auto parts store, I've seen batteries sit for months. I'm not sure who manufactures batteries for Honda/Acura, if anyone knows please do tell. I did just have the batt replaced in my RL today under warranty...in which case free is the best battery. When that one goes bad outside warranty, you can bet there will be a walmart everstart battery going under the hood with a 3 year warranty. (I dont work or own stock in walmart)
Old 12-02-2008, 11:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Update: I'm on the highway around 10pm cruising around 65mph.. radio starts flickering again and then car completely dies in the middle of the highway! So I manage to get the car on the shoulder. Phone is dieing and I'm locked in my car! I call Acura roadside assistance and a few minutes into the conversation, phone is totally dead! Luckily I was able to get the car started, miraculously came out of drive and I got back home!
Old 12-03-2008, 07:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 99 Posts
Could it be the alternator or a short somewhere in that area?
Old 12-03-2008, 07:53 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Did not another member here just recently report the same symptoms including the highway stall? I believe it turned out to be a chewed wiring harness.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:45 AM
Senior Moderator

^ Not sure, but we will find out soon. Car is going to the dealer on Friday. Will stay in the garage until then. It's quite unsettling to lose all power in the middle of the highway. Luckily I didn't hit any ice or anything. I almost thought I would have to break out of the car. No power anything! even the the RPM meter was stuck. Weirdest and scariest thing I've ever seen.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
^ Not sure, but we will find out soon. Car is going to the dealer on Friday. Will stay in the garage until then. It's quite unsettling to lose all power in the middle of the highway. Luckily I didn't hit any ice or anything. I almost thought I would have to break out of the car. No power anything! even the the RPM meter was stuck. Weirdest and scariest thing I've ever seen.

Sounds like the alternator is bad or is now working in the system right.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
^^^^^^

Agree. Someone else had this issue. Will search for the thread after work. Thankfully, it's not a common issue.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:01 PM
The Doctor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That sounds like what could happen in a movie!

Can the moonroof be opened manually in the RL?

Update: I'm on the highway around 10pm cruising around 65mph.. radio starts flickering again and then car completely dies in the middle of the highway! So I manage to get the car on the shoulder. Phone is dieing and I'm locked in my car! I call Acura roadside assistance and a few minutes into the conversation, phone is totally dead! Luckily I was able to get the car started, miraculously came out of drive and I got back home!
Old 12-03-2008, 09:54 PM
Senior Moderator

^ ha! True. The phone call with road side assistance was pissing me off. I was trying to tell the guy to get my info, location, etc. FIRST because my phone was dying. Instead, wasted my time trying to pull the vin number which I could not see, how many current miles I had, etc. These monkeys need some common sense.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:18 PM
Senior Moderator

So the dealer tells me that the battery ring terminals are pretty corroded and need to possibly be replaced. WTF? It didn't look too bad last time I looked but I should have cleaned them up pretty well before bringing the car in. This dealer is full of shit, I'm going to clean them out pretty well and try another dealership. This dealer basically didn't want to do anymore testing until the ring terminals are replaced "and it's going to cost me big bucks."
Old 12-05-2008, 04:08 PM
Senior Moderator

^^^^
You're joking, right? Corroded battery terminals causing your car to transiently strand you twice? Anyone else know better here? I can't imagine a situation in which that was possible. I agree with your obtaining a second opinion.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:30 PM
Senior Moderator

This dealership is about 2 minutes from my house. I don't plan on going back again, ever. The last time I went for an oil change, these jokers didn't replace any of my fluids. I came in with a "low washer fluid" indicator on, and left with it on as well. I was pretty pissed. I only went there today because they promised me a free oil change. The service manager is one of those smooth talking, treats customers like they don't know shit about cars.. He even semi-lectured me about not bringing my car in for an oil change sooner ("You know, it is supposed to be done every 3,000 miles"). Then he was pushing me for other "recommended" crap, but I said I have a mechanic to get him off my case... when he called me about the ring terminals, he said in a snotty tone, "You're mechanic should be looking at these terminals at every oil change, etc." I had to remind this fcker that THEY did my oil change last time and did not mention the "corrosion." Like they are going to remember to inspect the terminals when they don't even remember to replace my washer fluid. haha
Old 12-05-2008, 04:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by neuronbob
^^^^
You're joking, right? Corroded battery terminals causing your car to transiently strand you twice? Anyone else know better here? I can't imagine a situation in which that was possible. I agree with your obtaining a second opinion.
Slight correction, not that actual terminals but the rings that go over the terminals.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Dang, what an idiot the manager is, man. Way to keep business! You did the right thing by walking, there are other good Acura dealers in Chicagoland.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:24 PM
Senior Moderator

^ So I picked up the car today, inspected the terminals and terminal rings, some corrosion which EASILY came off with some baking soda/water solution. Bottomline, the dealership did not want to work on this car. I cannot believe this guy suggested I replace the terminal rings and everything. What a joke! Bringing the car to a different dealership on Monday.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:28 AM
Pro

There is a dealer in Brookfield Wis that people drive hundreds of miles to go to have their NSX worked on, top notch dealer, I used to go there. Service manager is best in business, he has a good will budget, if he is still there he is the man, John Vasos as I recall.
Go there, you will not be sorry.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:03 PM
Senior Moderator

^ My car is at a local Acura dealer now (Muller's in Schaumburg/Hoffman Estates), they have worked on my NSX and have been pretty happy with their service. Most likely I'll have them do my timing belt/water pump this spring on the NSX as well (Ken Sax Recommended). For the NSX, it was down to Brookfield and this dealer, it just came down to convenience as both were equally recommended.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:24 PM
Senior Moderator

So they said the power is being drained from my seat, weird... Anyways, they are ordering a new component for this.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:47 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I live in chicago, and am just wondering if the dealer I go to was the one who was not very helpful they are in a near north suburb,not to mention any names.
Thanks
Old 12-10-2008, 07:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
So they said the power is being drained from my seat, weird... Anyways, they are ordering a new component for this.
Wow, that's weird. Keep us posted on what specific part they end up replacing.

I would also check the end of the ground points for the battery. I recently had my negative terminal cable replaced because it snapped in half when a tech swapped out my battery.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by gogogoldrl
I live in chicago, and am just wondering if the dealer I go to was the one who was not very helpful they are in a near north suburb,not to mention any names.
Thanks
^ I know who you are talking about, but it's not them (in this situation). The place I went to first was Ed Napleton in Elmhurst. I am literally 2 minutes from them, but I will NEVER go there again. I have had enough with those jokers, and they will no longer get my business. A shame considering the convenience/location.