We Love our RL's...but what about everyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 11:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
On the other hand, if Acura had made a true flagship, it could be unsuccessful as the Infiniti Q45. I would love for them to try, though.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I don't think that Honda has an LS-like car in their mission statement. I don't think they want to compete in that space, or they'd have started up Acura with a car like that from the get-go. If they determine that the market for true luxury cars is expanding overall, then they might choose to enter.

They waited on the SUV, using a rebadged Isuzu until it became clear that the market was growing. The Pilot and MDX came on the scene as class leaders when they finally arrived, and the Pilot is still competitive today.

For better or worse, the RL is Honda's flagship. It features a high-tech drivetrain, sufficient power (which has always been a Honda characteristic), terrific paint and build quality (IMHO), room for 4, an efficient size, and an excellent interior.

Rob144
Old 12-08-2006, 12:16 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
The Q45 was a great car nonetheless, it had many innovative features that other cars at that time didnt have. Not to mention that its styling is quite unique too. But great products sometimes don't get accepted for stange reasons.

Acura started up as a performance oriented (plus some luxury) division of Honda. Look at its Integra, Legend, and later the NSX, they were all sporty (with the Legend being more on the luxury side). But these recent years it's moving more toward the luxury side. Come to think about it, it seems like Acura is using its SUVs, TL, and TSX to generate profit, while focusing on making the brand more prestigous (by getting rid of RSX). Even the lowest priced car in Acura now, the Canadian-only CSX. is around $27000CAD. Back in the days, the EL (predescessor of CSX) was less than $20000CAD.

But as we all know, simply increasing the price won't make a brand prestigous, and luckily, the 2G RL is here and it's superb. However, to really make the brand higher upmarket, I think it's time to launch a model even higher than the RL that can compete with S class, 7 series, or to lesser extent, LS460 and Q45. Or at the very least, Acura should promote more about the RL so that at least people are aware of this model (seems like too many people don't even know what the RL looks like!).

While making the brand more upmarket, Acura should not forget about its mission statement (or its intention) of selling high performance vehicles. And I believe that's where the NSX comes in. When the next NSX replacement is here, it can be the flagship of the Acura (if it's not under Honda) and hopefully it will stun the world just like 15+ years ago. And I hope that Acura will launch some coupes again to further reinforce its image as a high performance brand too.

With a car that's even more luxurious than the RL, and a exotic like the upcoming NSX replacement, Acura should have a chance of improving its image to a higher level.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

I agree with iforyou completely. Acura should go upmarket while maintaining (re-establishing?) its performance focus.

Ready for today's Acura trivia? The "L" in "TL" and "RL" both stand for "luxury." That's where Honda wanted to take the Acura brand in the mid-1990's. The Acuras with "SX" in the name are supposed to be sporty. Notice that the newer Acura models have "SX" not "L" in the name. Is this an indication of where Acura wants to go?
Old 12-08-2006, 12:47 PM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by jhr3uva90

Acura is unique in that its most popular models are made in North America, and that's part of the reason why Acuras tend to cost less than their Japanese competitors. Unfortunately, that might be one of the reasons why Acuras are not held in as high esteem as its competitors.
Not entirely true. Integras/RSXs were made in Japan....

When I traded in my 05 RSX/S for the 06 RL, I practically had to jump out of the saledroid's way he wanted to get his hands on it so bad. Later, he told me he sold it the next day, with no prep/cleanup.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Good point.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:00 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

I'm wondering if Honda is going to make something like a RL Type S. I mean there's Audi S6, BMW M5, MB AMG E class, it doesnt have to make profit, it's more like, a way to improve Acura's image as a performance and luxury brand (assuming they promote it!). Even if it's not in the league of the AMG/M, at least make the Type S sportier.

In my mind, an ideal RL Type S should have 350-400hp (assuming the current RL stays at 290hp), and then just like the other Type S models, stiffen the suspension components, increase tire and rim sizes, less steering assistance, type s emblem, sportier body accents. Since the RL is the current flagship model and the fact that it has SH-AWD, Honda should tune its settings to make the car even sportier. I don't know, but my guess is that the SH-AWD has been out for a few years now, Honda should be adequately familiar with it and so they should be able to tune it sportier.

Anyways, the question is, what direction is Acura going?
Old 12-08-2006, 07:30 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Something I feel this discussion is lacking...and that is luxury amenities with true reliability! That is what the RL provides. I have always been attracted to vehicle that were understated with the right balance of form/function and that provided a memorable driving experience. I just sold my 02 Audi Allroad which was an incredible automobile, potentially over engineered for the well heeled consumer. And man, you pay the price. Our Allroad had 40 seperate visits to the service department; alot of time without one's vehicle in my four year ownership experience. That's what the RL has in my opinion--form, function and reliability.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:41 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by iforyou
I'm wondering if Honda is going to make something like a RL Type S. I mean there's Audi S6, BMW M5, MB AMG E class, it doesnt have to make profit, it's more like, a way to improve Acura's image as a performance and luxury brand (assuming they promote it!). Even if it's not in the league of the AMG/M, at least make the Type S sportier.

In my mind, an ideal RL Type S should have 350-400hp (assuming the current RL stays at 290hp), and then just like the other Type S models, stiffen the suspension components, increase tire and rim sizes, less steering assistance, type s emblem, sportier body accents. Since the RL is the current flagship model and the fact that it has SH-AWD, Honda should tune its settings to make the car even sportier. I don't know, but my guess is that the SH-AWD has been out for a few years now, Honda should be adequately familiar with it and so they should be able to tune it sportier.

Anyways, the question is, what direction is Acura going?

If comptech does a SC...that is the way to go. A-spec suspension and black chrome wheels already do a superb job with the chassis IMHO (I have them and wow!, what a difference).

JB
Old 12-08-2006, 08:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
If comptech does a SC...that is the way to go.
I dunno about that, there are some 3G TL owners having issues with theirs.

A-spec suspension and black chrome wheels already do a superb job with the chassis IMHO (I have them and wow!, what a difference).

I enjoy driving my RL as much as my TL as a result.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:41 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

RL4me, you are right, the RL is as reliable as any other Honda! That's why I really like its cars. Usually cars with many features tend to be in the shop most of the time just like your Audi. I'm not sure about the RL as I don't have one, but the TL (not as fully loaded as a RL, but it many features!) that I am driving is quite reliable. So far I have had no major or minor problems at all even though it's almost 5 years old and I hope it can continue to be problem-free!

A S/C RL? Whoa that's a bit too much for me! I still prefer N/A tuning and I think that's the spirit of Honda =D But A-spec suspension plus black chrome wheels would really make the RL stand out.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:49 PM
Bobz

Not to be off topic, but here goes: everyone knows that the RL does not get the respect or the sales that it deserves. However, could someone explain to me why the TL's sales are decreasing? It was designed in North America and built in North America specifically for North America? With the exception of 2005, the RL has NEVER been a major seller for Acura, but what's wrong with the TL?
I have owned a 2004 TL for almost three years now, and I only have three real complaints:

1. Dash fade
2. Torque steer
3. Overly harsh ride on rough surfaces

My wife doesn't like to ride or drive the TL because she got spoiled by the smooth ride of her BMW 540. I was thinking of upgrading to an RL, but wonder how much better it is than a TL. Possibly TL sales are eating into RL sales. Customer's can't see enough difference in the two cars for the big increase in cost.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

The RL is much quieter than the TL, and the SH-AWD eliminates torque steer. And personally, I think Acura owners, like their Honda cousins, tend to be almost TOO value oriented. Lexus, for example, can make two cars that are roughly the same size (ES and GS) and Lexus drivers can tell the difference. Acura/Honda drivers, on the other hand, want a car to offer EVERYTHING before they are willing to upgrade past a certain point. In other words, MOST (not all) of the people who can afford Acuras cannot afford cars costing over $40K, while MOST (not all) of the people who can afford cars costing over $40K don't buy Acuras.

Let your wife test drive the RL, I'm sure she'll like it.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:20 AM
Advanced

I completely agree with jhr3uva90. I own an '04 TL and my father just bought an '07 RL. I was able to tell right away between the two cars. The RL is MUCH quieter than the TL and the suspension offers a much better ride. In fact the SH-AWD and suspension combo really reminds me of my mother's MB E500 4Matic. While the RL doesn't have as much power as that car, the ride quality is comparable.

I'd definitely suggest a test drive in the RL. Good luck!
Old 12-10-2006, 04:33 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

The RL is much quieter than the TL, and the SH-AWD eliminates torque steer. And personally, I think Acura owners, like their Honda cousins, tend to be almost TOO value oriented. Lexus, for example, can make two cars that are roughly the same size (ES and GS) and Lexus drivers can tell the difference. Acura/Honda drivers, on the other hand, want a car to offer EVERYTHING before they are willing to upgrade past a certain point. In other words, MOST (not all) of the people who can afford Acuras cannot afford cars costing over $40K, while MOST (not all) of the people who can afford cars costing over $40K don't buy Acuras.

Let your wife test drive the RL, I'm sure she'll like it.
I agree completely. More marketing is needed for the RL.