Ways to mount a radar detector

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 08:28 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ways to mount a radar detector

I copy a messaged I posted in another thread to this with a new title.

I used a Samsonite bag for my first set up and as I was taking pictures of it, I came up with another set up that do away with the bag but still retain the strap of the camera bag to hang the detector when I need to drop it away from plain view in a hurry.

The following first 2 pics show the initial set up, and the rest show the "improved" set up.

For the improved set up, I use these materials: a Velcro tie (blue and yellow in the pictures), a strip of Scotch "hook" Velcro type of fastener with adhesive back (from Staples, and a strap from a camera bag.

The Velcro fastener strip is adhered to the back and the sides of the detector (the second Velcro strip from the bottom of the detector). The Velcro strip is located on the detector in such a way that the Velcro tie that eventually tied onto the detector will not obstruct the on/off button, the speaker, and the controls of the detector.

I then placed the camera bag strap along the back of the detector, and then I wrapped the Velcro tie around the detector and the strap so that the blue portion of the Velcro tie (with the “loop” material of the Velcro) is onto the “hook” material of the sticky Velcro strip adhered to the back and the sides of the detector

The detector is then placed on the right side of the driver’s seat shoulder, with the rear laser lens up. The Velcro tie is then place between the two halves of the headrest, and the yellow portion of the tie (with Velcro “hooks”) is pressed onto a fabric located on the rear half of the headrest.

Part of the yellow portion of the Velcro tie is coming out of the left side of the headrest. When I want to drop the detector out of plain view in a hurry, I would pull this part of the Velcro tie. If I want to put away the detector for a while, I could put it either into the center compartment or the camera bag and take it with me.

Please share your mounting methods.