Wax Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 06:49 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wax Suggestions

I have a 5 month old 06 Lakeshore silver RL and I do a good jod of keeping it looking new. I take it ONLY to hand car wash places. I am now thinking about getting it waxed by a pro shop. I got a quote of 150.00 for hand wax, and 175.00 for machine wax. I was wondering if anyone out there could clarify the difference between the two and give suggestions as to which is the better way to go. Also, I would like to know how often I should have this done, and exactly what I should expect after the job is finished. For example, how long will finish last? Any special precautions I should take / not have done / products to avoid.

I have been using the california mop (red feather duster looking thing I purchased from AutoZone) on my car between car washes and it has been working wonders thus far as it has wax in it.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:35 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Too many to mention but, Zaino is one of the best.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ht=zaino+guide
Old 09-19-2006, 09:53 PM
Racer

Zaino is one of the best. The very best is Rejex when it comes to utility, durability and protection.

http://www.corrosionx.com/rejex.html
Old 09-19-2006, 10:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hands Down 1000% Zaino
Old 09-19-2006, 10:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Scary......

I'd be nervous turning my car over to someone for detailing. That's a job for me, myself, and I. I'll sometimes ask Acura service NOT to wash my car after a service if I've detailed it recently.

If I did use a service, I'd want to know that they were using fresh polishing cloths that hadn't touched the ground for the waxing and buffing. Would the car be hand polished or would they use a buffer (no buffer for me)? What process do they use leading up to the waxing? How is the car dried after washing? How is the car washed?

Most importantly, how do the cars they're working on look when you drop by to check them out?

A loooonnnnngggg time ago, I worked as a detailer at a local Honda dealer. Nicer cars brought in by nicer people definitely got the best result (go figure).

You can do it yourself and break the job into little stages. Detailing the interior should be pretty easy on a fairly new RL. Another time slot can be cleaning the wheels - the 5 spoke design is pretty easy to clean with a damp towel. Next you can wash and dry it and do the waxing. Then clean the windows.

OK - detailing can be a time-consuming process, even if spread out, and having someone do it could have a certain appeal. My RL is just too new right now to let someone else try it.

RobL
Old 09-21-2006, 01:45 AM
Quit stealing my avatar!!

I get more satisfaction knowing that I made this car look great with my own hands. I don't like paying people to make me look good. I need to do that myself, but that's just me. Besides, I really don't think a professional will put the same effort into it as I do.

BTW. I use Zaino, and with Zaino, prep is everything. At least 6 hours of washing, claybaring and washing again is necessary before first application.

Once the first application is done, I'll apply around three coats a month, but only after first doing a thorough 2-hour wash and drying. It takes all day and I'm sore for a couple days every time I do it.

Yeah, my car looks nice, but I bust my butt for it.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:37 PM
Instructor

Zaino.

Zaino.

Zaino.

Prep time may take a little longer and a litle more elbow grease then the others, but the time and work invested is very rewarding. Once the prep is done, apply 3-5 coats and your set for many, many months.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
P21S is supposed to be really good as well.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:42 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
I know that everyone preaches Zaino, but I've used Meguiars products for years and I always get compliments.

Meguair's used to have a Medallion series which they've discontinued. The replacement is the Next Gen series.

I polish it with Meguiar's Show Car Glaze #9, and then use the Next Gen wax. I get a stunning wet look shine on my Carbon Grey RL.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:30 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Zaino
Old 09-23-2006, 10:30 AM
Cruisin'

1st. Machine or hand... Depends on who is doing the work. I prefer a machine to get an even coat. But that's me, I like to do my own detailing. Before you decide on a detailer, check out their work on a car in their shop. have them explain what they are doing and how they address any problems.

How long, depends on your weather conditions but every six months isn't a bad rule.

As for products, check out www.detailingdynamics.com My opinion, but I think they are the best products available. Zaino, been there done that, Zymol same thing, Maguires, Mothers, 3M, all good products some better than others. I also have a 06 Lakeshore Silver (love the color) plus a 05 Billet Silver MDX and a 94 Formula Red NSX. They all get positive comments on their appearance from people I meet and the dealership when they are in for service.

As for the duster, watch out for streaking from the wax impregnated on the mop. I prefer a little detail spray and a soft towel.

Good luck however you decide.

Norm
Old 09-27-2006, 10:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Door locks go a little crazy when I wash with the FOB in my pocket

While we're on the subject of washing and waxing, I've noticed that if I'm washing the car with the key fob in my pocket, the door locks will open. And then, since I'm not entering the car they'll lock after 30 seconds. Then with more soaping or rinsing, the locks open and close again.

I'm definitely NOT touching the door handle when all this is hapenning. Have any of you experienced this phenomonon? I'm not used to wahing my car without the keys in my pocket, which seems to be obvious solution.

Rob144
Old 09-27-2006, 10:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Rob this happened to me also when I wash my car. Everytime the water hit the dimple on the door handle it would chime and open.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:32 PM

Yep, the same happens to me. I just leave the FOB in the cupholder. Since the doors won't lock with the Fob in the car, problem solved.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:50 AM
Racer

I believe the dimple is temp sensitive which would explain it.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:40 PM
06 RL - 04 TL

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GoHawks
I know that everyone preaches Zaino, but I've used Meguiars products for years and I always get compliments.

Meguair's used to have a Medallion series which they've discontinued. The replacement is the Next Gen series.

I polish it with Meguiar's Show Car Glaze #9, and then use the Next Gen wax. I get a stunning wet look shine on my Carbon Grey RL.

Another Meguiars fan here.

Tom
Old 10-01-2006, 08:24 AM
Unemployed or retired?

Originally Posted by Scott in Houston
I believe the dimple is temp sensitive which would explain it.
Actually it's capacitive triggered. Water chages the capacity of the sensor circuit a whole bunch.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:30 AM
Unemployed or retired?

Originally Posted by cyngod
I have a 5 month old 06 Lakeshore silver RL and I do a good jod of keeping it looking new. I take it ONLY to hand car wash places. I am now thinking about getting it waxed by a pro shop. I got a quote of 150.00 for hand wax, and 175.00 for machine wax. I was wondering if anyone out there could clarify the difference between the two and give suggestions as to which is the better way to go. Also, I would like to know how often I should have this done, and exactly what I should expect after the job is finished. For example, how long will finish last? Any special precautions I should take / not have done / products to avoid.

I have been using the california mop (red feather duster looking thing I purchased from AutoZone) on my car between car washes and it has been working wonders thus far as it has wax in it.

This always gets me in trouble with the Zaino fanatics but I'm not a big fan of waxes. I prefer synthetic polymers. They are a lot less demanding going on, protect like crazy, and will never yellow.

Right now I am using Turtle Wax F21. It's easy and lasts for a very long time!

http://www.turtlewax.com/products/im...finish2001.jpg
Old 10-01-2006, 09:43 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Meguiar's user also - Next Gen polymer is amazing. I am sure there are better choices but for the time I have to aalocate to car-care the Next Gen does it for me.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:35 AM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Zaino may be the best, but it's so labor intensive. Only for the true car fanatics out there. Plenty of other products do a good job. I get my cars detailed twice per year and hand wash them in between. They look very good in my opinion.

I'll make the analogy of audiophiles/videophiles who get hung up on the minutia of all the specifications that equipment will tell them they're hearing/seeing. You need to go with your own ears and eyes, and if you think it sounds/looks good, then it does.

I zainoed once and realized there are other things I'd like to do with my weekend other than to be a slave to my vehicle.

Another thing is color choices. I won't ever buy another dark car again. My white MDX is so easy to keep clean and free from scratches compared to my dark green car. The next car will be even easier- a shade of silver of some kind.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:12 AM
'06 RL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll second the Meguiar's Next Gen polymer. 90% of the shine of Zaino, with literally 1/20th of the work -- you can put a coat of that on the car in 15 minutes, even in full sun, and the shine on it is 10 feet deep. Works great, and better yet -- it stands up to commercial car washes. So when the car gets dirty, I run it through the local White Glove, and it's beautiful.

I'll probably now be criticized as "lazy" by all the people who spend hours mastrubating their car finishes, but really... who has time for that crap?
Old 10-02-2006, 11:51 AM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Rich in NC
This always gets me in trouble with the Zaino fanatics but I'm not a big fan of waxes. I prefer synthetic polymers. They are a lot less demanding going on, protect like crazy, and will never yellow.

Right now I am using Turtle Wax F21. It's easy and lasts for a very long time!

http://www.turtlewax.com/products/im...finish2001.jpg
FYI, what you think Zaino is made out of? LOL!

That is why it lasts so long. It has Synthetic Polymers in it.

Zaino goes on easy after the first steps. After that is done its easy to put Z2 on and off with a few coats.

Zaino can last over a year and still feel like the car was just waxed. No other WAX / Polish / Protectant can touch that.

autopia.org has a lot of info on detailing and car products. I learned a lot from there.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by jftjr
I'll second the Meguiar's Next Gen polymer. 90% of the shine of Zaino, with literally 1/20th of the work -- you can put a coat of that on the car in 15 minutes, even in full sun, and the shine on it is 10 feet deep. Works great, and better yet -- it stands up to commercial car washes. So when the car gets dirty, I run it through the local White Glove, and it's beautiful.

I'll probably now be criticized as "lazy" by all the people who spend hours mastrubating their car finishes, but really... who has time for that crap?
I have to further chime in. My Carbon Grey RL is the first time I've deviated from a variation of white in the past 16 years. White is so much more forgiving. The shine I get from Meguiar's Next Gen is absolutely amazing. I agree with the "10 feet deep" comment. It looks absolutely wet and it's been a couple months since I last waxed the car.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:37 PM
'06 RL

My Carbon Grey RL is the first time I've deviated from a variation of white in the past 16 years.
White cars are as hard to keep clean as black cars, but when they're super-clean, they just look...white. Whereas, darker cars look incredible when polished, but are high maintenance.

It's lakeshore silver for me. It hides dirt with the best of them yet still looks great when it is super clean...
Old 10-02-2006, 01:51 PM

White cars are as hard to keep clean as black cars, but when they're super-clean, they just look...white. Whereas, darker cars look incredible when polished, but are high maintenance.

It's lakeshore silver for me. It hides dirt with the best of them yet still looks great when it is super clean...

I disagree on the first part of your statement. A slightly dirty white car will not look as dirty from a relatively short distance. The white does hide the dirt. Darker colors on the other hand immediately show dirt. White also hides imperfections such as minor dings and chips.

I do agree with you that a white car simply looks white. No matter how much you wax it.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:44 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
GoHawks is right. I had a black car now a white car. And I can easily go weeks without washing the TL because its white. When I could only go a few days at the most with my black car. White is easier to clean, take care of than black. It's just as easy as silver.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:01 PM
Instructor

Agree...lakeshore hides dirt and is amazing....did black. Not again...and I was told it was softer (scratched more ... in the audi formums.....).

YMMV.

JB
Old 10-02-2006, 09:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
I have to further chime in. My Carbon Grey RL is the first time I've deviated from a variation of white in the past 16 years. White is so much more forgiving. The shine I get from Meguiar's Next Gen is absolutely amazing. I agree with the "10 feet deep" comment. It looks absolutely wet and it's been a couple months since I last waxed the car.
Agreed. Next Gen wax works great, much better than the zymol crap recommended to me by an employee at checkers. Looks fantastic on my 2005 lakeshore silver, very deep shine and almost a purplish metallic hue in the sunlight. just wash and wax every 6 months and looks as good as new despite rl being 2 years old. btw my friend demoed a 2006 white rl with tech package this past week, the white looked very clean and shiny as well, not dull like some other models. the backup camera was also very impressive, smooth transition from nav screen when switching the car in reverse. The backup view was very clear, even in a parking garage at night. I will say that when testdriving the 2006 white rl, i did miss not having the faux wood steering wheel and knob, oh and evey more importantly the a-spec rims and michelin pilot sport rubber on my 05.

i've also enjoyed using the next gen "insane" tire spray, lasts for weeks at a time with a understated "wet" look. perfectly suited to the lakeshore silver which can go for 2 wks or more at a time and still look clean. raindrop marks hide very well, pretty much when the rims get dirter is it time to give the car a good handwash.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:21 AM
'06 RL

Originally Posted by surfer rick
Agreed. Next Gen wax works great, much better than the zymol crap recommended to me by an employee at checkers.
Zymöl, what a scam... I think a good stiff breeze will take that wax off your car. It looks great for 3 days, then it's worthless... and at $90 a can, it's stupid expensive.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:11 AM
Racer

Zymöl, what a scam... I think a good stiff breeze will take that wax off your car. It looks great for 3 days, then it's worthless... and at $90 a can, it's stupid expensive.

I agree. I've used it and was very disappointed.

REJEX lasts 100x longer.

There are so many Zymol fan-boys out there that I thought for sure it would be good. I am now thinking they just haven't tried much else and just like the smell.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:27 AM
'06 RL

Originally Posted by Scott in Houston
I agree. I've used it and was very disappointed.

REJEX lasts 100x longer.

There are so many Zymol fan-boys out there that I thought for sure it would be good. I am now thinking they just haven't tried much else and just like the smell.
If you really want to use a natural wax, Mother's California Gold makes a pure Carnauba with no cleaners that lasts a long time, looks great, and smells wonderful. But you have to do your surface prep, and it doesn't stand up to commercial car washes very well. But I don't think that the natural waxes look as good as the synthetics over clear coat finishes.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:20 AM
2006 RL - Carbon Grey

has anyone tried Finish First synthetic? good results?
Old 10-13-2006, 04:30 PM
Instructor

Zaino - I've been using it for more than six years, on seven different cars (in the family).

Here's a slideshow of my Celestial Silver RL after a Zaino detail:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slidesho...e&conn_speed=1

Randy
Old 10-16-2006, 11:11 AM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

White isn't as hard to maintain as black- not even close. I realize this is counter intuitive for some, but unless it's mud it doesn't show the dirt unless you walk up right next to it. Scratches don't show at all. I have an off white color which does a little better in this regard compared to "stark" white.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:07 PM
Proboscis-free zone

The original post mentioned the California car duster. Anyone else have experience with that?

It is impossible to wash my RL daily, which is what it would take to keep a black car clean in Los Angeles. I keep it waxed (not with Zaino, sounds too labor intensive). It is tempting to "dust" the car between washes.

Any risk that puppy will scratch the clear coat while moving the dust around?
Old 01-21-2007, 11:15 PM

I use one. Just make sure that you're not using it on a dirty car. Just a light coating of dust. A fresh coat of wax is a requirement though.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Just like if you're looking for expert information on RLs you go to this forum, for anything detail related go HERE.

LL
Old 01-22-2007, 06:34 AM
Instructor

Another vote for Zaino, here. I use a Porter Cable 7424 with an applicator pad to apply and I've found Zaino is a breeze to remove with a polishing cloth. The second and third coats go on and off even easier. I've never been sore from waxing my car with Zaino...and have always worked so much harder to remove the cheap waxes.

I, too, shop at autopiacarcare.com
Old 01-22-2007, 11:26 AM
Advanced

I guess we should be asking you what are your

Expectations of a paint treatment on your car? Do you want a really great shine that will stay on for months, or something that will shine great and only stay on the paint for a lot less time? The final test of any protectant, is how much water beading do you get on the car, after you wash it and rinse it? If it doesnt bead water and the water sheets off, then you probably dont have much protectant left. You will always find the protectant lasting longer on the sides of the vehicle vs the top surfaces.
I have tried all kinds of products since I was a little kid at my Dad's gas station, and while all have their own value, etc., the one that works best for me now, is the Zaino line of products..
And while it has been said that its alot of work (and it is), many of us have invested in a nice Random Orbital buffer like the Porter Cable 7424, etc., and foam pads, ( I like the ones from Lake Country), and have had great results.
If you are looking for a deep, clear shine, that you can see everything in, and no swirl marks, spider-webbing, scratches, etc., then, yes, its going to take alot more time, but please note that if you put the time in the 1st time around, and be careful about scratching it when washing, drying, etc., this 1 time prep will last for a long, long time. With the Zaino products, I now have enought coats on all 3 of my vehicles that they stay really nice all year long, and I still go over then with just a claybar bi-annually, to get the stuff that sticks to the paint off, and then apply a few more coats of Zaino. I dont need to take all day doing this now that I have such a good layer of coats on.
All waxes, polishes, etc., applied on clean paint will make the surface look better, some will make it look better than others, some are filled with oils that make the paint look really "wet" and great, but these also usually dont last very long.
If you want to have a detailer do your RL, perhaps you could ask to see some of his work - he might have pictures, or perhaps a few vehicles in his shop that are freshly done to look at..
The Zaino line of products are all really good, and this includes their products that are not for the painted surfaces of your vehicle. They have been well thought out and are all very user friendly and in the case of their polishes, very, very easy to apply because they want you to put on really thin coats that are then easy to remove. And one of their many awesome features - their products dont dry white in cracks and cervices, requiring you to go back over and try to remove all this stuck on wax, etc. off your rubber/vinyl trim pieces.. As I said, these guys have really done their homework on what is the best durability AND easy to use and remove, and not stain the non painted surfaces.. Good luck, hope you will find what you need out there.. You can check other detailer forums, for more info too..
DanF
Old 01-22-2007, 11:33 AM
Advanced

I forgot to mention that the Zaino people are about to

Introduce a couple of new products, an All-In-One product, and a Clear Seal product. I think these are designed for those that are not really interested in going the full Zaino routine and want great protection on either new clean paint or existing cleaned, waxed, etc., paint.. In other words, for those that are in a hurry to do this work and dont necessarily feel what we car-nut people do when it comes to taking care of the vehicles.. In any event, I am sure that these products will just like all the other products, exceed your expectations in all respects.. And no, Im not a seller of Zaino, I buy my products on line just like everyone else, and I get no discounts, etc.. DanF

Quick Reply: Wax Suggestions