VSA & AWD diagnostic message / AcuraLink

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 11:20 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VSA & AWD diagnostic message / AcuraLink

This morning, I drove about a 100 yards, and as I slowed in the wet (it was just starting to rain) at a stop sign, my '05 RL seemed to shudder. I immediately received a diagnositc message for the VSA and another for the AWD system (messages 66 and 77, I think). AcuraLink hooked up with the press of a button through my phone, downloaded some additional information, and told me to restart the car, and proceed to the nearest dealer if the warning did not go away.

Well, the warning did not repeat itself, and the car seemed to perform normally thereafter. But I have 2 kids and I don't feel too comfortable driving with a potentially failing AWD, so I took it to the nearest dealer (dialing through the nav system). I am now driving a TL loaner.

Anybody had a similar problem with the VSA and AWD?

Also, a couple of observations:
1. AcuraLink seems to actually work, taking only about 10 seconds to connect to the server through my Cingular RAZR for each message.
2. The integration of the phone and diagnostic system worked flawlessly.
3. Comparing the TL loaner to the RL: there is no comparison. Some have challenged the higher price of the RL as being justified over the TL. I had never test-driven the TL because I was instantly attracted to the RL, even prerferring its styling by a large degree (I seem to be in the minority on this), and I previously had insufficient knowledge to judge these claims. I can now say, the RL has it all over the TL. The TL may be slightly quicker, though this is not very obvious in real-world driving, but the RL beats it soundly every other department, including handling.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First, I am glad you are OK and everybody is ok also. Second, it is great to hear that Acuralink actually works! I imagine t-mobile and cingular phone owners will have the same great experience that you did with acuralink.

As far as the TL vs RL - yep. You are right about that. There are many things the RL has over the TL. Of course, I personally think the TL looks better. It is quicker, yes, but not a ton quicker.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:22 PM
Intermediate

Dealership just called to tell me that the system needed to re-initialize; no physical damage, just software.
Old 01-20-2006, 05:55 PM
Racer

I had the warning message for the AWD. I got the same diagnostic message, but I didn't have Acuralink.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:53 AM
Dr. E in TN

Originally Posted by RLdriver
This morning, I drove about a 100 yards, and as I slowed in the wet (it was just starting to rain) at a stop sign, my '05 RL seemed to shudder. I immediately received a diagnositc message for the VSA and another for the AWD system (messages 66 and 77, I think). AcuraLink hooked up with the press of a button through my phone, downloaded some additional information, and told me to restart the car, and proceed to the nearest dealer if the warning did not go away.

Well, the warning did not repeat itself, and the car seemed to perform normally thereafter. But I have 2 kids and I don't feel too comfortable driving with a potentially failing AWD, so I took it to the nearest dealer (dialing through the nav system). I am now driving a TL loaner.

Anybody had a similar problem with the VSA and AWD?

Also, a couple of observations:
1. AcuraLink seems to actually work, taking only about 10 seconds to connect to the server through my Cingular RAZR for each message.
2. The integration of the phone and diagnostic system worked flawlessly.
3. Comparing the TL loaner to the RL: there is no comparison. Some have challenged the higher price of the RL as being justified over the TL. I had never test-driven the TL because I was instantly attracted to the RL, even prerferring its styling by a large degree (I seem to be in the minority on this), and I previously had insufficient knowledge to judge these claims. I can now say, the RL has it all over the TL. The TL may be slightly quicker, though this is not very obvious in real-world driving, but the RL beats it soundly every other department, including handling.
It is amazing that this car is so high tech that it can electronically fix itself with humans doing some of the monitoring. I disagree about the TL. It is a great value for the money, but the RL beats it in every aspect except maybe needing more comparable larger interior room. I personally don't like the "boxed" look of the rear of the TL.
Old 01-21-2006, 02:07 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dr. E in TN
It is amazing that this car is so high tech that it can electronically fix itself with humans doing some of the monitoring. I disagree about the TL. It is a great value for the money, but the RL beats it in every aspect except maybe needing more comparable larger interior room. I personally don't like the "boxed" look of the rear of the TL.
You said you "disagree," but I think we agree 100%. Another mark against the TL is that every third or fourth car on the road is one. At first I liked the look, but it's already tired.
Old 01-21-2006, 02:50 PM
Dr. E in TN

Originally Posted by RLdriver
You said you "disagree," but I think we agree 100%. Another mark against the TL is that every third or fourth car on the road is one. At first I liked the look, but it's already tired.
You're right, we do agree. My context was wrong.