valet key?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 12:23 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
valet key?

I'm about to send of my RL on a cross country transporter. I can pack some things in the trunk and don't want to give the driver access to it. So I flip the switch in the glove box and lock it with the key. Now I just give the fob, sans key, to the driver. The problem is that the fob has no hole if the key isn't in there. So now he can't put a split ring on it or hang it somewhere etc. I'm sure this can be overcome but it seems to be an issue if you use valet parking (I never do if I can help it).

What do you give the valet driver and if you only give the fob, does he complain about that?
Old 06-14-2006, 12:30 PM
'06 RL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I give the fob to a valet at least twice a week, and I've never gotten a complaint.

EDIT: Although, truth be told, it sometimes takes a LONG time to get my car -- I think because valets are confused about the keyless system. I always point it out to the valet, but since it's rarely the same guy who fetches the car that takes it from me... it's usually pointless.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:36 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
I don't remember from driving my parent's RL, but isn't there a separate valet key that doesn't provide access to any of the interior locks?

Why not just make things easier for the guy on the transporter and remove the key stump so he can just treat it as a regular car when he drives it and not worry about the keyless ignition system tripping him up?
Old 06-14-2006, 04:29 PM
Racer

The driver is not supposed to touch my car at all during transport. Drive on and drive off at the destination only. The key is there for emergencies. I will include a note on how to use it. The reason I don't want to give the whole key is because of what I described in the first post. I want the glovebox and trunk to stay locked. You need the metal key to open those.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
Actually, I'm about to move the opposite direction, from DC to San Francisco. It is cheaper to ship the car, but I don't trust other people with my car, so I'm going to just drive. How much does it cost to ship the car, anyway?
Old 06-14-2006, 05:51 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
When I had my TSX shipped from SoCal to DC, it cost me $850 for door to door service. Aside from getting dirty, the car came out in good shape.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
What concerns me is the "unique" way the RL's starter works. There have been incidents where the RL has not been turned off completely, draining the battery. Maybe I'm just paranoid. . .
Old 06-14-2006, 06:25 PM
Racer

About $2250 for 2 cars (RL and A6) from SJ to Ridgefield, CT. If I was single I'd drive but with family and 2 cats it's too much of a hassle. I'm there when they park it on the truck and of course I'll make sure it's all the way off.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:51 PM
Instructor

use an uncut key

Originally Posted by Nocturnal
I'm about to send of my RL on a cross country transporter. I can pack some things in the trunk and don't want to give the driver access to it. So I flip the switch in the glove box and lock it with the key. Now I just give the fob, sans key, to the driver. The problem is that the fob has no hole if the key isn't in there. So now he can't put a split ring on it or hang it somewhere etc. I'm sure this can be overcome but it seems to be an issue if you use valet parking (I never do if I can help it).

What do you give the valet driver and if you only give the fob, does he complain about that?
I learned about the following solution from member of acurazine. Get an uncut emergency key from an acura dealer (about $39 with tax). you can use this to allow the keyfob to be hung up in the usual way. You still have the cut emergency key so that they can't openup your trunk and glove box.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:52 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nocturnal
.....The problem is that the fob has no hole if the key isn't in there. So now he can't put a split ring on it or hang it somewhere etc. I'm sure this can be overcome but it seems to be an issue if you use valet parking (I never do if I can help it).

I've not really given too much thought on how the valet guys would handle the situation...I don't have any key rings attached to my remote and recently I've noticed that the valet guys used a rubber band wrapped around the remote to hold a valet ticket and kept it in their drawers. I don't keep any valuables in the trunk or in the car. No worries...
Old 06-14-2006, 10:51 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by johnhayd
I learned about the following solution from member of acurazine. Get an uncut emergency key from an acura dealer (about $39 with tax). you can use this to allow the keyfob to be hung up in the usual way. You still have the cut emergency key so that they can't openup your trunk and glove box.
Pricey but a nice option, thanks!