Transmission Fluid Smell When Idleing

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 09:39 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Transmission Fluid Smell When Idleing

I have an 05 RL, and about a week ago I decided to drain and fill my transmission fluid (I used Mobil 1 Synthetic). Everything went OK, but now when the car is idling at a stoplight, I smell transmission fluid in the car (smell is probably coming through the vents). I figured that any fluid that I may have spilled when adding fluid through the dipstick would have burned off by now. Would overfilling have caused the problem - I added 3 quarts through the dipstick (owners manual says to add 3.2 after a drain) but I wouldn't swear that 3 quarts drained out (front of car was jacked up, so maybe less came out and I overfilled?).

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Larry
Old 05-26-2011, 10:44 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Seen this...

Same exact thing happened to my 2006 RL when i did a 3x3 AT flush using Amsoil ATF. I could smell the new fluid at every stop light, especially if i was pushing the car harder before that. I was almost sure that i have a leak or something worse.

Well ... the first thing i did was to check the level of the AT fluid - PROPERLY.
I drove the car for a few miles until the AT fluid was fully warmed. Then i parked the car on a FLAT, leveled surface, put it in "park", engine off, popped the hood. When i checked the fluid level the first time - it was overfilled on the dip stick by an inch or more. This happened despite my careful measuring of how much fluid i got out and how much i put in. I still somehow had managed to overfill it.

I used a small hand pump with small rubber tuning and i slowly sucked out AT fluid from the dip stick opening. This took time but i did manage to bring the level to an acceptable level - still a bit above the dip stick mark.
ATF smell diminished but i could still feel it.
I sucked out even more fluid and i got it to the perfect level - right between the two marks on the dip stick.
The ATF smell was almost gone. I could smell the fluid only after i pushed the car very hard.

Btw, the ATF smell comes out of a 'vent hole' covered with a black rubber cap, somewhere close to the battery. You can see it if you look for it. Remove the rubber cap (by hand) and you'll see that this is where the fresh ATF smell comes from. Every time the fluid heats up or gets moving too much (high rpm) the ATF stink comes out of this vent hole.

I even called Amsoil and told them about my smelly 'problem'. They assured me that this smell is perfectly normal for the first 3-4k miles of driving, until some of the ATF special additives "burn off". Nothing to worry about, they said.
Well, Amsoil was right. Having the correct fluid level and driving for 3-4k miles, took care of the ATF smell. Problem gone!!!

I have a feeling that Mobil 1 is using similar chemicals that release a lot more odor than the OEM Honda ATF. I am also almost sure that your fluid level is ABOVE the marks on the dip stick. You should try to bring the fluid to correct level. Overfilling is not recommended.

Good luck!
Dan
Old 05-27-2011, 09:58 AM
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
The drain plug is towards the front of the tranny as well. If you did not lower jack, or raise rearend to level car, I bet there was some fluid trapped in tranny...
Old 05-27-2011, 06:05 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by drolds72
The drain plug is towards the front of the tranny as well. If you did not lower jack, or raise rearend to level car, I bet there was some fluid trapped in tranny...
Agreed. I am pretty sure the AT is overfilled. Adjust the fluid level ASAP to prevent damage.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:49 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the replies. Yes according to the dipstick, its overfilled. I only did a single drain and fill, so maybe I'll take this opportunity to drain and fill again, but be careful not to overfill.