trade for an 09 TL????

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 12:02 AM
angel eye RL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trade for an 09 TL????

wow..just saw a white 09 TL on the road the other day..gotta say it looks pretty dam nice..for a second..only a second now...thinking to trade my 05 rl for the new tl...but came back to my senses..ani of u would trade your RL for a new TL..????..kinda looks like a lexus g series to me...
Old 10-23-2008, 09:23 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
I posted the following in another thread.

I haven't had the chance to drive one yet. Was at the dealer getting an oil yesterday and they didn't even have one in stock.

I did get a chance to drive a loaded '09 TL (FWD).

I have to say that if you can get past the beak, it is a REALLY sharp car. I like it a lot.

What I found interesting is that the 280hp TL felt no quicker than the RL that is encumbered wth having to drive four wheels. The sales guy said the engine is bascally the '08 TL-S engine.

Again, I REALLY liked the car. Fit and finish is much improved and is very close to the RL.

The salesguy told me to come back in November when the SH-AWD TL model comes out. He said it's a beast.

I wouldn't trade my RL in, but if I was buying new, the new TL, especially with SH-AWD would be a very compelling choice.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:31 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't trade an 05 RL for the 09 TL, unless maybe it was the SH-AWD version. I have posted before that I've seen the TL from afar and it looked like a really nice fullsize Saturn Aura, with a hint of Toyota Camry on profile. I do see what you're saying regarding the similarity to the Lexus G series in the way the C-pillar slopes. But that's one of the problems, the only unique thing from this vehicle is the overblown, out of proportion grille that is implemented only slightly better than the 09 RL, which I'm not a fan of either.

I saw the base 09 TL at my local Costco and up close the grille was worse than from at a distance. The base wheel/tire combo was almost as bad as my RL, there was no appeal there at all. The interior seemed like a huge step forward though and I thought that was pleasing. I guess my feelings on the exterior design direction or lack thereof has me somewhat jaded, but you asked!!
Old 10-23-2008, 11:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
No.

If I were in the market, though, the SH-AWD TL is HUGE bang for the buck.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:36 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
I will put my styling cross aside....

When I checked the TL at the dealership recently (I did not drive), I would say the new TL has made advancements in fit, finish and assemble over the 3rd Gen. Intially I was impressed with the TSX (if I wanted a 4 cylinder premium car...the TSX I would buy). But I do see imrovements in the new TL with assembly.

I do like the 09 TL interior styling. I do not like the exterior, but it appears to have some better assembly and fit and felt more substantial in size and build. Still it was easy to see better materials in the RL. But the gap has all but closed. The expectations for the next gen RL is HIGH.

That said, they are different rides. They may share similar dimensions, similar features and at some point SHAWD platforms, but they appeal for different reasons. The TL is sport spiced, the RL is refinement flavored. Do you like fine French cuisine or spicey hot Cajun?

Should my RL go away today, I would not by the 09 RL. I would also not buy the 09 TL. Acura has time to win me back as I plan to hold my RL several years.

If the TL offers YOU what you want...buy it. If you buy it because you think OTHER people think you should....ask them to make the payments.

Last edited by TampaRLX-SH; 10-23-2008 at 12:40 PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by TampaRL

When I checked the TL at the dealership recently (I did not drive), I would say the new TL has made advancements in fit, finish and assemble over the 3rd Gen. Intially I was impressed with the TSX (if I wanted a 4 cylinder premium car...the TSX I would buy). But I do see imrovements in the new TL with assembly.

I do like the 09 TL interior styling. I do not like the exterior, but it appears to have some better assembly and fit and felt more substantial in size and build. Still it was easy to see better materials in the RL. But the gap has all but closed. The expectations for the next gen RL is HIGH.

That said, they are different rides. They may share similar dimensions, similar features and at some point SHAWD platforms, but they appeal for different reasons. The TL is sport spiced, the RL is refinement flavored. Do you like fine French cuisine or spicey hot Cajun?

Should my RL go away today, I would not by the 09 RL. I would also not buy the 09 TL. Acura has time to win me back as I plan to hold my RL several years.

If the TL offers YOU what you want...buy it. If you buy it because you think OTHER people think you should....ask them to make the payments.
Well said, especially on the expectations for the next gen RL. The new TL has closed the gap significantly.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:22 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Also keep in mind Acura has a new CUV model due to launch...as an alternative to the TL.

http://www.motorauthority.com/galler...y-oct-001.html

Although heavily camo'd, I can still see the 'power phlegm' grill.

But it is based on the TL SHAWD platform. I love the interior, very TL.

The buzz is the MDX is to the X5 as this model (MSX?) is to the X6. Expect a sport sedan / couple like body shell.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:03 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I would not trade in my RL for any of the 09 line up.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Blazing GT
I'm with you and also, does the new TL remind you of a Toyota Camry, or is it just me?
Old 10-23-2008, 11:14 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

YES! I said that when I saw the concept pictures.

The Camry still looks better.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:56 PM

Well, I must be the minority then because aside from the beak, I think it's a really sharp car, and even the beak is a better iteration than that abortion that was grafted to the front of the current RL.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:17 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by GoHawks
Well, I must be the minority then because aside from the beak, I think it's a really sharp car, and even the beak is a better iteration than that abortion that was grafted to the front of the current RL.
It's OK to be different...
Old 10-24-2008, 08:15 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Two word : HELL NO.

Agreed and unless they make any improvement on the new line up otherwise I'm leaning towards Lexus or Infiniti.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:17 AM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Hell no! The TL is hideous. Is the TL higher perfoming? No, only the manual TL offers significantly better "motivation", with the auto its mostly a wash. The only way in hell I'd trade would be for a manual and only if the changed the hideous grill and got rid of the ugly chrome sash in the rear and changed the fugly rear lights and, and......., comming to think about it they'd have to change the entire car, forget it DIDN'T THEY LEARN FROM BMW, THEY HAVE SPENT ALMOST A DECADE DEBANGLING THEIR DESIGN TO GO BACK TO THEIR CLASSIC DESIGN. WHY THE HELL DID HONDA FUCK UP THE BEST DESIGN IT HAD EVER DONE?????? INSTEAD OF BUILDING ON SUCCESS THEY TOTALY DESTROYED IT!!! GODDAMNIT!!!
Old 10-24-2008, 08:18 AM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by fan_888

Agreed and unless they make any improvement on the new line up otherwise I'm leaning towards Lexus or Infiniti.
I agree wholeheartedly
Old 10-24-2008, 08:24 AM
Racer

I detect a resounding theme in this thread....
Old 10-24-2008, 09:01 AM
Racer

I loved my 05 RL but I have been nothing but impressed with my Infiniti G37S. Acura has lost itself and some of its loyal fans.... we'll see in 2011. I shudder to think though if they actually bring that concept sedan to fruition.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:53 PM
angel eye RL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im with u on this..i would not trade my 05 rl for 09 rl or tl..but if no improvements are made in the future..im sori but i will be all lexus...gs!!!
Old 10-24-2008, 02:03 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

the only car I would trade my RL in for would be a BMW 335i or M3. Then again when i mugen it out, why would I trade it in?
Old 10-25-2008, 03:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts
ehhhh, trade only if you are into trading a good looking car for a fugly car. There is just no way to justify paying that much money for a fugly car you have to look at for the next few years. spending a dime on a car as fugly as the new TL is a dime too much. many ppl said that it'll grow on them. but a great car should grab you the first time you look at it... it should be love at first sight... it shouldn't be like 'dame that car is ugly, i'll let it sit over nite, maybe it'll look better in the morning'

Like I've mentioned in another thread, I really think there is some kinda conspiracy on the new Acura line of fugly beak. someone is out to screw Acura. I think someone got paid from the rival companies or spies from the rival company that created the fugly beak to drive the customers away. regardless of how good the car really perform. The consumer is looking for a total package. fugly good performer just doesn't cut it now a day . it's like having an ugly funny girl/dude... what are you gonna say to her/him?.... na, na... baby.... cover your face and just tell me some joke?
Old 10-25-2008, 04:34 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Blazing GT
i agree. the three most polarizing designs in Acura's existence are the TL, RL, and TSX; and i hope they don't bring that cuv onboard.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:50 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

LOL, I haven't been around much lately but I can see you're still with the colorful commentary Tampa.

I guess I like both French and Cajun because I bought a TL/Tech today. Not getting rid of my RL or MDX. Got this for my daughter and will pick it up tomorrow. Black with Taupe interior. I know its a lot of car for a 17 year old but it's a "reward" for getting a full scholarship to college. I'm proud of her and, what the heck, it's only money!

As far as my impressions. I had some good seat time in the TL yesterday. I thought it rode very well. It is light years ahead of the old TL in refinement and a noticable step up from the new TSX. I was considering a 328i and test drove that also the same day. Of course, it doesn't drive as well as the BMW. No comparision actually. The steering is kind of numb feeling after getting out of the 328. The RL has a much better road feel (even at slow speeds). But, she's a girl and really doesn't need to take a right turn at 30mph. The tech advancements since my 07 RL are amazing. I really loved the harddrive feature and the FINALLY full integration for my cell phone contact database. Acceleration was good but not anything to get excited about. I'm sure the TL SHAWD will have some kick. The doplar radar is very cool. Not sure how many times someone needs that, but it did work well and you can zoom in and out to get different views. Keyless start has been much improved from my RL. The entry button on teh door is all redesigned. Hopefully it's not as quirky in the rain as ours. Also, the button is nicer than the retrofit steering column starter. The trunk is bigger and the back seat SEEMS more roomy. I'm not sure how they did that because I don't think it's any bigger than the RL.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:36 PM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I'm thinking about it.... I hate the grill, but in the TL part of this board, they have a "fix" or sorts...painting the top part body color...doesn't look 1/2 bad.

Personally I with they would bring the RSX back with SH-AWD/NAV/Manual.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:49 AM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Base TL is a juiced up accord...the only one worth getting would be the SHAWD model, but that still doesnt reconcile its bad looks, and the most rediculous looking rims/tires..just overall ugly. in person its even worse. its not compelling, not in the least. the RL is a much better ride, across the board. keep it. TL is bloated, farty, the base model looks awkward on appearance, and the interior is nothing to write home about. if it were RL vs SHAWD TL, might be a closer call...but for the sticker the SHAWD TL will have, id be looking at different cars all together.

if i could drive my optimal acura...itd be the 2007 RL in white with beige...its the closest thing Acura sells to a german lux car in looks, fit, finish, refinement etc. most premium car in acuras lineup 100%. Spicymikey's/andys ride all the way.

Last edited by MMike1981; 11-10-2008 at 10:52 AM.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:36 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MMike1981
Base TL is a juiced up accord...the only one worth getting would be the SHAWD model, but that still doesnt reconcile its bad looks, and the most rediculous looking rims/tires..just overall ugly. in person its even worse. its not compelling, not in the least. the RL is a much better ride, across the board. keep it. TL is bloated, farty, the base model looks awkward on appearance, and the interior is nothing to write home about. if it were RL vs SHAWD TL, might be a closer call...but for the sticker the SHAWD TL will have, id be looking at different cars all together.

if i could drive my optimal acura...itd be the 2007 RL in white with beige...its the closest thing Acura sells to a german lux car in looks, fit, finish, refinement etc. most premium car in acuras lineup 100%. Spicymikey's ride all the way.
Mike, obviously I agree an 07 white RL is a good choice , but I think you're being too hard on the TL. I own one of them now too, and have spent a good amount of time in it to date. I was considering a 328 and test drove them both back to back. Obviously it doesn't handle like a BMW (or an RL for that matter), but depending on your priorities, it's a great car and HUGE value compared to a BMW. I'd recommend people seriously take a look at it. It's definitely a huge step forward from the 3G, which felt mostly like an econo car to me. I haven't driven an SHAWD version but I'll assume the stiffer suspension, additional HP, and shawd, solves the inferior handling and makes it more of an option for someone wanting a euro ride. Since I was getting the TL for a girl, I didn't think the shawd or additional power was money well spent and didn't test drive one.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
Since I was getting the TL for a girl, I didn't think the shawd or additional power was money well spent and didn't test drive one.
I don't think the SH-AWD versions are in yet. Well maybe now. When I did my test drive a few weeks ago, the dealer told me to come back in November as that was when they were expecting those versions to be in.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:26 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
i dont mean to come across hard on the car....its just, the fact is, is that Acura wants to play with the big boys...its well accepted that Acura is considered the bargain/good value among the other players. However, if they intend to tout the car around the big guys, they better bring the big guns.

Ill agree, the new TL is a vast improvement over the older one...the old TL was and is my least favorite acura to date...the interior is claustrophobic and the layout, well its all subjective, I just never cared for it (big green leds, felt very i dunno, toyota-ish). They losened up the new one a bit and it feels more spacious, but honsetly, just put my parents in an 09 Accord V6 navi over the new TL, and after driving the TL and looking at it, the base TL just doesnt have it...it doesnt come in high enough over the bar set by the Honda younger brother...thats just my subjective opinion...so when i look at it that way, the TL is even a LESSER value, im either going to get my rents the V6 Navi Accord or put them in a BMW...you follow me ...its somewhat weird logic, but the TL, at least to me, doesnt represent a big enough step, rather LEAP forward for Acura, especially considering a majority of redesigns out, the A4, C350, G37...where is the premium feel and bigger engine Acura is shooting for in the new TL?, its certainly not in the base model.

The V6 accord makes 10 less HP and is much more heavily discounted. Got a 09 Navi V6 for a little over 27. The TL offers little motivation to move up, and i certainly wouldnt do it for namesake...the interior is a little nicer, the els stereo helps, but what about the rest of the car

now that im way off track...in the end...RL to TL would be a major downgrade.