TPMS on aftermarket wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010 | 08:49 PM
Instructor

TPMS on aftermarket wheels

I just installed a set of 20"s with new TPMS sensors.

I know that the RL has an automatic learning mode so I drove around for over 1 hour afterward and can only get the system to recognize the front driver side sensor.

The front driver's side pressure reading is appropriate but the others don't register at all.

After about 20-30 minutes the MID pops up an Error mode. Turning off the ignition and restarting seems to reset the system.

Has anyone run into this problem before and what can be done to fix it?

Do I need to take it to the dealer to have it physically reset?

Thanks in advance,
Motegi
Old 07-16-2010 | 09:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by motegi
I just installed a set of 20"s with new TPMS sensors.

I know that the RL has an automatic learning mode so I drove around for over 1 hour afterward and can only get the system to recognize the front driver side sensor.

The front driver's side pressure reading is appropriate but the others don't register at all.

After about 20-30 minutes the MID pops up an Error mode. Turning off the ignition and restarting seems to reset the system.

Has anyone run into this problem before and what can be done to fix it?

Do I need to take it to the dealer to have it physically reset?

Thanks in advance,
Motegi
The TPMS sensors signals can be blocked by some aftermarket wheels. What wheels are they and what are they made of?

There shouldn't be any dealer intervention required. The sensors should re-calibrate on their own and the car should be able to read them after driving for a little while.
Old 07-16-2010 | 10:23 PM
Safety Car

New sensors, where did they come from? Were they identical 315 MHz sensors? Honda actually uses several types of sensors. They all look pretty much the same on the outside. I suppose that it is possible, now that it is 2010, some of the first ones could have dead batteries, but the service life is supposed to be 7 years.
Old 07-16-2010 | 10:48 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chas2
New sensors, where did they come from? Were they identical 315 MHz sensors? Honda actually uses several types of sensors. They all look pretty much the same on the outside. I suppose that it is possible, now that it is 2010, some of the first ones could have dead batteries, but the service life is supposed to be 7 years.
They were a brand new set of 4 TPMS sensors that I bought from the wheel shop since my original ones are still on my factory rims with winter tires.

My question is that if they used the wrong sensors then why would the drivers side front sensor still register normally?

My wheels are MRR GT-1 20"s and they are listed as being TPMS sensor installation compatible.

The Lexus and Infiniti forums have reported that the TPMS works just fine on their cars with these wheels...

Looking at the Acura RL shop manual it seems that there is some way to physically reprogram the TPMS system for the new wheel sensors. Does anyone know how much this costs?

Last edited by motegi; 07-16-2010 at 10:53 PM.
Old 07-16-2010 | 10:51 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dwboston
The TPMS sensors signals can be blocked by some aftermarket wheels. What wheels are they and what are they made of?

There shouldn't be any dealer intervention required. The sensors should re-calibrate on their own and the car should be able to read them after driving for a little while.
I drove for over 1 hour... continuously at 15-25 MPH for almost 30 minutes. I only stopped, turned off the ignition, and then restarted twice during the entire drive when the TPMS Error message came up on the MID screen.

Has anyone out there had any issues with TPMS sensor recognition after getting new wheels/tires?
Old 07-17-2010 | 06:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by motegi
I drove for over 1 hour... continuously at 15-25 MPH for almost 30 minutes. I only stopped, turned off the ignition, and then restarted twice during the entire drive when the TPMS Error message came up on the MID screen.

Has anyone out there had any issues with TPMS sensor recognition after getting new wheels/tires?
Did you get Acura TPMS sensors or some aftermarket ones?
Old 07-17-2010 | 09:15 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dwboston
Did you get Acura TPMS sensors or some aftermarket ones?
Whatever the dealer installed. He knew it was for a 06 Acura RL. They were $75 each.

Like I said, one of the works. The others... not so much.
Old 07-17-2010 | 12:13 PM
Safety Car

Perfect! go back to the dealer. They installed it! Make them do it right. The other thing that could have happened is that the TPMS got damaged during installation. I have read that this can happen.

"On vehicles that have direct TPMS with a sensor and transponder inside each wheel, care must be used when dismounting and mounting tires on their rims. On a Corvette with Goodyear EMT/run-flat tires, the sidewalls are very stiff. This makes the tires difficult to remove and mount. Care must be used when breaking the bead and removing the tire so the sensor isn't damaged. On applications where the sensor is clamped to the rim, it will be located in the wheel drop center 180 degrees across from the valve stem hole. When dismounting the tire, the tire must not be forced down over the sensor because doing so may damage the sensor and/or the bead.

"On applications where the TPMS sensor is on the valve stem, be careful when dismounting/mounting tires so the tire bead or tire machine roller does not damage the sensor. Position the bead breaker 180 degrees across the wheel from where the valve stem is located."
http://www.aa1car.com/library/tire_monitors.htm
Old 07-17-2010 | 04:28 PM
Instructor

And the mystery deepens...

The wheels were purchased from an online dealer. They have been fantastic to deal with thus far as I have had a few other issues prior to this that they have resolved quickly.

After going for another drive this morning, inflating to different tire pressures, and doing a "reset" by disconnecting/reconnecting the battery the car still only registers the front left TPMS sensor.

I called around this morning and my normal Acura dealer was not able to get my car in for diagnosis today.

Discount Tire on the other hand said to bring it by and they would use their handheld scanner to check the sensors. When I got there they checked each TPMS sensor and they each registered normally. Discount Tire unfortunately did not have the Honda/Acura device needed to manually reprogram the TPMS computer and said that I needed to go to the dealer for this.

I contacted the wheel/tire salesperson that I purchased the wheels from and he also recommended that I go to the dealer. If the TPMS sensors are determined to be at fault by the dealer then he said that he would send out some replacements free of charge.

I'm going to try the dealer on Monday or Tuesday if I can get time off from work.