Took the RL for a wheel balance....came home with an RDX

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012 | 09:24 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Took the RL for a wheel balance....came home with an RDX

I had my MID service a little over a month ago. I was sure a wheel balance was part of the service. But I have not been on highways of recent and after a trek on the expressway yesterday I noticed a slight vibration. I called my Service Adviser who told me to bring the RL in and they would re-do the wheel balance.

So after the RL is brought up for me to sign out, I proceed to drive out of the dealership and slow over a speed bump. ***CRUNCH***

I stop the car, go back in and my tech tells me it sounds like the struts failed. Sure enough he gets in the car and the nose does a low rider thing. Apparently the car lift was the final straw for the struts and likely the slight vibration was a symptom of the failing struts. I am just glad it happened right at the dealership.

The good news is it is covered with my extended AcuraCare warranty. The car has 46K miles, but it is approaching 7 years old. I am curious to 'feel' the new struts. I really did not notice them failing, but I expect it will feel significantly better when returned.

Meanwhile the dealer did a horrible thing. They gave me spanking new RDX Tech AWD. What a nice ride! It is very RL familiar and amazingly smooth and quiet. I never liked the last gen RDX and I found the MDX a bit too large and cumbersome whereas the RDX is very Goldilocks.... "Just Right". The J series 6 with cylinder deactivation is totally transparent and the Trip Computer was showing 30 mpg on the drive home. Very, very impressive.

So my RL repair has turned into a weekend test drive. I have been shopping a CUV as second vehicle, and not much success thus far. On paper I get impressed with a vehicle but my butt test always seems to disqualify the media I read. I put the Acuras last on the list for test driving as I feared if I drove one, I would pull the trigger. I think the RDX may make a perfect companion for the RL.

I am still watching and waiting on the RLX, but truth be told, I cannot foresee me parting with my RL. So perhaps a 2 Acura garage may be the solution?

Last edited by TampaRLX-SH; 10-05-2012 at 09:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ken1997TL (10-06-2012)
Old 10-05-2012 | 09:32 PM
Racer

Cool story bro.
Old 10-05-2012 | 09:33 PM
Suzuka Master

they have a smart program with the loaner car deal.

Dont feel bad a lot of people do not feel struts/shock failing until they are gone.
Old 10-05-2012 | 09:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 253RL
Cool story bro.
haha it is a bullshit story with out a pic, and he knows better!!
ichi d (10-05-2012)
Old 10-05-2012 | 10:37 PM
Drifting

Tampa, the new RDX is pretty nice. We checked one out at the dealer a few weeks ago. Love the tech on the newer Acura's as well.

Originally Posted by HEAVY_RL
haha it is a bullshit story with out a pic, and he knows better!!
Please enlarge your avatar and post it asap.
Old 10-05-2012 | 10:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by BDoggPrelude
Please enlarge your avatar and post it asap.
LoL a google search for "halloween demotivational" is always fun
Old 10-06-2012 | 06:16 AM
Racer

Agree with the OP. Test drove the new RDX when it first came out a few months back. I did feel like Acura had a pretty good alternative to the RX350. Pretty smooth riding and roomier than the old RDX. It looks better than the old RDX too.

I like a two Acura garage - same motor oil, SH AWD fluid, even oil filters.
Old 10-06-2012 | 09:57 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by TampaRL
The good news is it is covered with my extended AcuraCare warranty. The car has 46K miles, but it is approaching 7 years old.
We are in the same boat ( I have 64,000 mi and 7 years for me is up Jan 28th!).

Im in love with the MDX and a used certified one will probably follow me home once my RL warranty runs out and a few medium to high dollar repairs develop. To me the MDX seems pretty "RL"ish, but I've never driven a RDX.
Old 10-06-2012 | 11:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by NJ06RL
I like a two Acura garage - same motor oil, SH AWD fluid, even oil filters.
All Hondas use the same filter. They all use the same rear diff fluid too.

I am somewhat surprised at the amount of miles the shocks had. It makes it so much harder to believe people when they talk about their 300k-500k mile cars riding "good as new" on their stock struts.
rosezr1 (10-08-2012)
Old 10-06-2012 | 01:09 PM
Advanced

Tampa, glad to hear you like the RDX, i'm in the same boat 66,000 miles and just about 7 years. I do not wan't to hijack this post but anyone have any ideas on driving the RL after acuraCare. Great car but not a good car to own without a warranty.
Thanks
Old 10-06-2012 | 01:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Loaner programs are a brilliant sales technique, really surprised more Acura dealerships don't do this.
HEAVY_RL (10-07-2012)
Old 10-06-2012 | 02:47 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

I do miss my RL. I have to say I have never owned a vehicle that felt so good when new and continues to grow on me nearly 7 years later. It is like it reads my DNA. I strongly recommend anyone thinking the RL feel has worn out, to take a trip, rent a car or borrow a loaner. I think most will be longing for the RL.

But I am really enjoying this RDX too. I have been out all day running errands and running mom to the wholesale club. She was thrilled to see the RDX (SHOPPING!!! ) and as she calls it 'butt hight'...easy for her to enter and exit. The RL is more comfortable, but getting in and out of the rear seat is a bit more effort. (Side-note: Does anyone know why Seniors MUST buy toilet tissue by the pallet? The were all there, pushing flatbed cars with Apocalypse sized packages of toilet tissue. ).

I really like the higher riding position in weekend shopping traffic (akin to navigating through the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul). Mom insisted we also hit the WalMart Supercenter. Navigating the parking lot was like flying through an asteroid belt of self piloting shopping cars, random unsupervised children and attentive moms (attentive to their cell phone conversations while walking into oncoming traffic and their 4year old is frozen in terror between two opposing, reversing Suburbans). But the RDX has good forward visibility and a nice 3 view reverse cam. It also maneuvers very well. The electric steering seemed a little light, but made death, dodge and doom parking lot maneuvers like a pro.

The RDX is very RL like in smooth, refined and quiet. And even aiming for bumps, no rattles or quivers. The tech was easily familiar, but there were times I was looking for the above NAVI LED panel, which on the RDX is below the NAVI, center stack. And unlike the RL, my polarized REVOs washed out the LED panel (XM and Temp display). I have not seen that on other Acuras.

Being a CUV it is not something I would expect to save my ass as the RL has done. I think it would get clumsy pretty quick in extreme maneuvers. I can see the loss of SHAWD for Honda's lighter, simpler AWD a fair trade off. Pushing the RDX (as it is tuned now for comfort) to make the best of SHAWD would be well out of bound for how this vehicle will likely be driven. Heck, I still do not expect the RL to be as capable as it is, which is as much surprise and giggle inducing 7 years later. The RDX AWD is more a safety net when the car gets wacky than a capability elevating feature.

Another observation...the 6 speed tranny. As much as we gripe about the RLs 5 speed, it rarely gives me a clumsy shift. Every vehicle I drive with 6+ speeds seem to have gaps in shift logic resulting in a hunt - no hunt - pause and thud shift. It seems we still react faster than these supercomputer processors running tranny logic. Maybe the electric steering and electronic throttles of new cars create logic rifts that outsmart the trannies? Still that tranny and the cylinder deactivation is producing 23 city mpg and 30 on the highway. And that cylinder deactivation is slick, transparent and light years ahead of the turbo 4 CUVs I have been testing from other brands....with similar mpg (but a penalty of premium fuel).

A few nags. There are NO rear seat vents. There is an obvious, ugly and 'duh it goes there' bin in the rear of the center console. Acura....WTF!? Also I have been getting brake squeal and groans. It has been wet and rainy so I am unsure if that affects it. But if I bought one, I would be whining to my Service Manager. I also find the exterior styling not as masculine as an MDX. But the roof rails and sport steps do 'butch it up' a bit.

I think I may order one when I return from my South Pacific tour in November & December. It would not replace my RL. I think I have decided I cannot part with my RL. But the RDX is Acura familiar, nearly RL comfortable. not as cumbersome as an MDX and would be great for the kayaks and bikes. I think it will be familiar enough to my RL while offering me the utility the RL cannot (Mom was annoyed when I sold my Isuzu and we had to break down the toilet tissue pallet to fit in the RL). And the RL is still so much more car than anything I would consider replacing it with at a cost of $40K+.

Hopefully I will have the RL back Monday and be surprised with the returned newness the new struts will offer. There may have only been 46K on the struts, but that heavy car weight has been sitting on them nearly 7 years.
Old 10-06-2012 | 11:44 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by oo7spy
All Hondas use the same filter. They all use the same rear diff fluid too.

I am somewhat surprised at the amount of miles the shocks had. It makes it so much harder to believe people when they talk about their 300k-500k mile cars riding "good as new" on their stock struts.
On oil filters, dealer service tech told me some early model Integras use different filters but most late model Acuras use the same. But when you start having to deal with a V8 Lexus in your stable that uses a different size filter ... you see what I mean by liking a two Acura garage.

On diff fluid, we're supposed to use the caramel colored SH AWD fluid now (used to be ATF Z1) but Honda Pilots use VTM4. We're not supposed to use VTM4 was what I heard on this forum some time back. So Honda and Acura do have different rear diff fluid ... Actually, dunno what rear diff fluid spec the new RDX has, just to get us back on topic. Heard the rear diff in the new RDX is like the one in the Honda CRV - my guess is the CRV might not use SH AWD fluid. Anyone know ?
Old 10-07-2012 | 08:26 AM
Senior Moderator

All late model Hondas (Acuras included) use the same oil filter. From their motorcycles to their largest engine. I was mostly just pointing out your statement is true for two Honda garages.

You are right about the VTM fluid, 08200-9003, used in the Pilot and Rodgeline. But the CR-V uses DPSF, 08200-9007, which is the same as the SH-AWD fluid, 08200-9007A.

NJ06RL (10-07-2012)
Old 10-07-2012 | 02:43 PM
Alpha Geek

As a "charter" member of the RL/RDX in the garage club, I have to say I agree with Tampa, although my '06 RL non tech has 110K mile now. The RL is so smooth you're going 85 on the highway before you know it....the RDX(when I get to drive it) feels tighter and more nimble(yes, nimble) than the RL, though it's an Apples to Oranges thing.

Go ahead Tampa, fire away...you won't regret it!
Old 10-07-2012 | 09:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Tampa, I think the issues you experienced with the 6 speed tranny were a symptom of a new car/driver that aren't adjusted to driving styles.

When my wife had her '09 Civic new, the 5/AT and I did not get along. It always wanted to go 1 gear lower than me during acceleration while moving, and there were plenty of inactive moments where I could tell the car couldn't decide which gear to go with. However, that lasted less than 5k miles, and by 30k, the car and I knew how each other worked even though I was used to driving a car with double the hp everyday.

I started out thinking a car with 140 hp didn't need 5 gears, but it was really just a new tranny that was programmed to shift to a higher gear as soon as possible (mpg) and didn't understand downshifting.
Old 10-07-2012 | 09:27 PM
Suzuka Master

... blah blah blah...

I started out thinking a car with 140 hp didn't need 5 gears, because NOT race car.

Old 10-07-2012 | 09:31 PM
Senior Moderator

I thought this was going to be one of those threads I read so often in our Car Talk section based on the title.....

But I demand you cease and desist until the Sport Hybrid SH-AWD RL is released next summer. Or you get the j/k

Seriously, though, the new RDX is not a bad CUV.
HEAVY_RL (10-07-2012)
Old 10-07-2012 | 09:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 10-07-2012 | 09:43 PM
Suzuka Master

hahahaha.
Old 10-07-2012 | 10:12 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by neuronbob
But I demand you cease and desist until the Sport Hybrid SH-AWD RL is released next summer. Or you get the j/k
I think you are the only moderator here that has NOT banned me yet.

I am really liking the RDX and in just three days, it feels like family. It really scoots and that engine sounds mah-veh-lous. It does so much more than I was expecting from a CUV and is so much more refined than the $30-$40K CUVs I have been driving for comparisons. It feels so much lighter, nimble and peppy than the MDX.

But I am leaving for the South Pacific and not back until early January. It does not make sense to buy another vehicle right now.

At least then the RLX will be shown at the Auto Show circuit and I can troll the reviews and carps. But what the RLX consideration brings me to, is parting with my RL. I cannot seem to swallow that pill. A second Acura with utility capability seems more logical and more bang for the buck.

I return the RDX tomorrow and get my RL back. I am excited to feel the newness return with new struts....I hope. Then I will step away from the dealership for a couple of months and see if analysis paralysis enables to me to decide or wait.

Last edited by TampaRLX-SH; 10-07-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old 10-07-2012 | 10:14 PM
Suzuka Master

I think you are the only moderator here that has NOT banned me yet.
Old 10-07-2012 | 10:19 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Tampa, I think the issues you experienced with the 6 speed tranny were a symptom of a new car/driver that aren't adjusted to driving styles.
Indeed. Day 3 with the RDX and my throttling now is complimentary to the shifting pattern. I found those 'sweet spots'. I will say a long cruise home last night (oh yeah, I have put some mileage on this thing!) was a joy. It was nearly as comfortable as my RL with a better view. AND I was toting a TV credenza for the new 60'' Sharp Aquos Quattron I picked up yesterday. Thanks Acura! My RL Thanks you too!

That said, I still think some of these hyper geared trannies got too much going on and impact the drive refinement in negatives. I have driven too many herky jerky vehicles this last month.
Old 10-08-2012 | 09:37 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Turned in the RDX today and got my RL back. Feels tight and like a sportscar in comparison.
Old 10-08-2012 | 09:49 PM

Very good read!
Old 10-08-2012 | 10:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Ride differences between old and new struts?
Old 10-09-2012 | 07:42 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Ride differences between old and new struts?
Indeed. It is firmer, more controlled and float reduced. I would not have known the struts were going beforehand, likely due to the gradual degradation. But I definitely feel the new struts in the ride quality. Road impacts are less as well, but the BS Serenities do a great job absorbing common Honda road impact sensations...maybe masking the strut deterioration?

I expect the slight vibration for which I had the wheel balance re-done was more a symptom of the struts. My tech said the wheel balance was fine.

I was told that strut failure on these cars is rarely subject to a leaking shock and often a sudden occurrence (as mine simply froze up after being on the lift). And I was told once before, that the strut failure is sometimes a result of the car being on a lift.

A warranty signature and I was all giddy again on the ride home.
oo7spy (10-09-2012)
Old 10-09-2012 | 08:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Well, I am very glad you had such a good experience. I have been explaining shock degradation exactly as you stated for about a year now here, and now I have pretty solid evidence to back up my claims. Even still, the mileage yours had is surprising.
Old 10-09-2012 | 08:17 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

I have always heard that vibrations pretty much always stem from something being out of balance and not a failing shock/strut. Sure, you'll see a failure to rebound properly when you hit a bump in the road at speed...but you won't feel a consistent vibration while driving. Most issues come from the machines being out of calibration so they'll check out fine, but not really be balanced.

Great read btw...
I have had this whole ordeal in my own mind many times and ALWAYS come back to my TL. I love her and she's paid off and she drives awesome. Every time I drive a friend's car or something, I ALWAYS itch to get back to my TL.
Old 10-09-2012 | 01:51 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by rockstar143
I have always heard that vibrations pretty much always stem from something being out of balance and not a failing shock/strut. Sure, you'll see a failure to rebound properly when you hit a bump in the road at speed...but you won't feel a consistent vibration while driving. Most issues come from the machines being out of calibration so they'll check out fine, but not really be balanced.

Great read btw...
I have had this whole ordeal in my own mind many times and ALWAYS come back to my TL. I love her and she's paid off and she drives awesome. Every time I drive a friend's car or something, I ALWAYS itch to get back to my TL.
Thanks Rockstar....

My description of the vibration may not be thourough. It was similar to a mild flatspot in the tires. I could be incorrect, but when shock / struts are worn, does it not sometimes cause the wheel to 'hop'? And in the long run it would wear the tire tread into flat spots? I really did not notice a degradation in the ride and I believe the BS Serentites did a good job masking some it it. I have never owned a vehicle long enough to replace shocks or struts, so this is new experience to me.

But now that the new struts are in place, the RL is again super smooth on good asphalt and better controlled on less ideal roads.
Old 10-09-2012 | 02:02 PM
Senior Moderator

I'm sure you know this, but shocks are only intended to reduce the oscillations of the springs faster than they normally would alone. If your shocks are not dampening the springs natural tendency to keep bouncing, then the springs will not stop bouncing as fast. It is possible the "vibrations" you were feeling were your springs bouncing ever so slightly and not being stopped by the shocks.
Old 10-09-2012 | 02:30 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

^^^I guess maybe that does make sense. I was just thinking that to feel it, you'd have to be going a good speed AND hit a bump in the road. Not a straight away where you're not moving the suspension at all and feeling a consistent vibration.

Either way, cheers to having a solution at no cost!
Old 10-09-2012 | 04:36 PM
Safety Car

Tampa - is your South Pacific tour on a ship?
Old 10-09-2012 | 05:57 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by getakey
Tampa - is your South Pacific tour on a ship?
Yep. 42 days. Starting on the East Coast, Panama, West Coast, Hawaiian Islands, Tahitian Islands, Marquesas Islands and back to the west coast.

You want to track my coordinates?
Old 10-09-2012 | 06:07 PM
Safety Car

Yep. 42 days. Starting on the East Coast, Panama, West Coast, Hawaiian Islands, Tahitian Islands, Marquesas Islands and back to the west coast.

You want to track my coordinates?
Sure - I remember you did this tracking before
There was a huge Princess Line ship next to our marina over the weekend. It left on Saturday. Busy as hell on and around SF Bay
We had fleet week with air show including Blue Angels
Americas Cup Series racing
Giants playoff games (did not go well)
49er Game (went well)
Hardly Strictly Blue Grass Festival
Old 10-09-2012 | 06:11 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by getakey
Sure - I remember you did this tracking before
There was a huge Princess Line ship next to our marina over the weekend. It left on Saturday. Busy as hell on and around SF Bay
We had fleet week with air show including Blue Angels
Americas Cup Series racing
Giants playoff games (did not go well)
49er Game (went well)
Hardly Strictly Blue Grass Festival
OK, I haven't been doing that. I think it was my Antarctica trip where a few people complained and I got hate mail.

For now, just in Austin on biz.
Old 10-11-2012 | 10:08 AM
Intermediate

I can also attest to blown struts causing vibrations and flat spots. I put 200k on an 03 accord V6 and ran into this on the rear tires around 190k. All of my driving was on very well maintained interstate highways, so it doesn't take a bumpy road to cause flat spots if your struts are shot.

I'm 1 week into my "new" 09 RL. It's got 70k on it already, so I hope I don't have issues with the struts as early as you did!
The following 2 users liked this post by tdurick:
oo7spy (10-11-2012), TampaRLX-SH (10-11-2012)
Old 10-11-2012 | 01:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by rockstar143
^^^I guess maybe that does make sense. I was just thinking that to feel it, you'd have to be going a good speed AND hit a bump in the road. Not a straight away where you're not moving the suspension at all and feeling a consistent vibration.
No road is perfectly flat, and resonance is very common at speed.
For now, just in Austin on biz.
Wanna get that steak and beer I missed out on last time?
Old 10-11-2012 | 01:24 PM
Suzuka Master

aww take pics you two
lumpulus (10-11-2012)
Old 10-11-2012 | 05:12 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by tdurick
I hope I don't have issues with the struts as early as you did!
Although my RL is low mileage, it is nearly 7 years old. The RL is a heavy car, I am not totally shocked especially since the car was on a lift when the froze up.

I just flew home this afternoon. I was hoping to stalk, ummm...... run into Sandra Bullock. And I left my tab at III Forks for you.

Quick Reply: Took the RL for a wheel balance....came home with an RDX