Ticking / vibrating sound in engine bay high rpms... Help?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 08:46 AM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
Ticking / vibrating sound in engine bay high rpms... Help?!

I've noticed that when I am in sport mode, and jabe the rpms up above 5500, I hear a vibration and buzzing kind of sound from the engine bay.

It almost sounds like valves clinking.... But I don't think that is what it is. It kind of sounds like it's coming from the area of the engine bay just forward of the glovebox....I hear it more from the passenger side. It is NOT stuff in the glovebox rattling...I've taken the stuff out of the glovebox and it still does it. It is easiest to hear in first because it's easy to spin it up in rpms in a low gear, but it does it in all gears. The sound is rpm specific. I never hear it below about 50000-5500. It stays there until you shift. It never stops at any specific high rpm. Once it starts making the sound, it's there and just continues as long as revs are over 5500.

I have taken it to my dealer twice for the sound. Once they said they couldn't hear it. The second to e I rode with the tech, let him hear the noise, he confirmed he heard it. The dealer called yesterday and said they don't know what it is. They said there is a used RL on their lot and it does it too...so they think maybe it's "normal"

It's not normal for a car to make this noticeable of a buzzing noise....any of you experience this?

Thanks.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:46 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Do you have an K&N filter? It could be possible that the sound your hearing is the extra air being drawn in once your V-tec kicks in... I'm not sure though.. Just a thought...
Old 03-12-2011, 10:48 AM
rtr
RL owner

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Sounds like when V tech comes on. Maybe the solinoid or do you have the right oil in there?
Old 03-12-2011, 11:43 AM
Drifting

All oil changes have been done by dealer, so it must be correct oil. I don't think that is it.

No K&N folder in my car.

I'm picking it up from the dealer today and will take a look in my engine bay for debris, leaves...for all I know it's some debris vibrating?? If it persists, maybe take it to another Acura dealer to see if they can diagnose?

I just can't imagine it is normal.

I do have the low temperature whine sound that comes on when the car is warming up and it's cold..sounds like a siren off in the distance....but that is speed sensitive noise, not really rpm specific..... Anyone think they are related.

The dealer kind of took the attitude of, if we don't know what it is, and the other car on our lot does it, maybe it's normal

It's not normal. It is loud enough that it is NOT. Normal. The trick is figuring out what the heck it is. Just wondered if anyone else's RL does the same thing.... I notice it more in sport mode, because if you drive more slowly in standard mode, the car will shift before you get up to 5500. You need to ne in sport mode, hit 5500 and then keep accelerating...the sound then comes on and stays there....buzzing and ticking, until you shift and drop rpms back down.

Maybe it is vtec related?

Is there any reason dealer would know it's something bad and $$$ but not want to fix it? I am a CPO car..so anything that went wrong is under warranty.

I would think if they could tell it was an engine replacement, or some other big dollar repair they would want it to get the warranty money?

The car otherwise drives great, has no loss of power, etc. It just makes that noise...drives me nuts.

Maybe I should add an AEM intake to drown it out..... Hahahahahha
Old 03-12-2011, 11:45 AM
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts
any way you can record this, maybe?

I know I can't replicate as at that RPM my intake is screaming but maybe someone else can...like Blazing GT (:ghey
Old 03-12-2011, 02:21 PM
rtr
RL owner

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Bad Vetch solenoid?? or just a tweeked heat sheld ..
Old 03-12-2011, 02:37 PM
Drifting

Would the solenoid make a sound? Or would it just fail to let vtec engage? Because I can feel vtec kick in....

When I get the car back I will shoot a video/ sound clip. My wife bought a Nikon D7000.... It will shoot 1080p.... Sweet dslr!

Stay tuned
Old 03-30-2011, 07:45 PM
Drifting

Ok, I have not taken the time to video tape the sound....but it's not doing it. My car revs up to redlined and it sounds tight as can be! Weird!

I started wondering if it could be gas? My car always gets 91 octane, but you never know if a station could have substandard gas...I usually get gas at Costco, and I'd like to think they are selling 91 at the 91 pump, but gas quality could vary...

Has anyone ever put 87 or 89 in theiir car? The noise could be detonationor pinging type noises... But then I'd think the rl would have a sensor to hear that and retard timing to stop it....

The sound is intermittent and it was doing it for sure when I got my car back from the dealer. They had no clue what it was. Then it just stops. I can't say if the sound coming or going has coincided with a gas fillip...but I'm going to start paying attention to when I has up and if that correlates with the ticking noise....

Just a guess it might be fuel related.... I can't imagine it's a losose part or broken part...how would it just fix itself?
Old 04-11-2011, 01:41 AM
Drifting

Woohoo..I think I fixed it!

I decided to see if the vibration was under hood and I tightened down all the clips that hold the engine cover / shields in place...I also pulled out the cabin filter and removed a handful of leaves. The sound came from the engine bay, but it was coming from the dash area by the glovebox which is right in front of the cabin filter.

I kmow it's unscientific to change two thing at once...so I can't say which item fixed it, but I had a three hour trip later in the day and the sound was GONE! Awesome!

Now I need to get some suspension, aspec....