Is there a better luxury sport sedan out there for the money then the Acura RL

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 07:53 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As stated elsewhere on this site I have talked about how much I love my RL...and you can see the passion in all of those who share their thoughts and passions about all of the cars they've owned in all of these threads. When we start talking about how good a car has to be...that means a lot of different things to a lot of different people. I think it is amazing that although the RL is not the perfect dream car...you can see lots of what we would do to tweak it just a little bit....is there a car out there that sells in the under $50,000 range (I got mine for a little over $42,000) that does so much so well. How can we compare it to a $60,000 or more European Flagship? If I had had the $....maybe I would have spent it....but I think in the RL I got just about all I need - You can't always get what you want....but with the RL I got what I needed!
Old 12-09-2006, 01:44 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
IMO the RL just needs a little bit more performance and it will be perfect. It's High tech, reliable, safe and man, gotta love that SH-AWD.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by sailorman
Ummmm.....do you really need to ask?

Old 12-09-2006, 08:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
^
Old 12-09-2006, 09:56 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
If there is, show me... :shakehead
Old 12-09-2006, 03:27 PM
Advanced

For model years 2005-2006, no.

For 2007, I don't know for sure. Loss of On-Star really hurts safety/technology, and there are other vehicles out for 2007 that have traffic navigation, bluetooth, etc.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
for the msrp, yes, there are other alternatives out there that are comparatively equal or better.

for the discounted price for new models and price for used models, i don't think anything out there can touch the RL.

I'm looking at getting a used RL (2006-07) when my lease runs out. Considering what these are going for new, the value is just to hard to not get one.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:20 PM
Advanced

Methinks not (which is why I bought one). I could have spent $10K more to get a comparably equipped A6, M35x, E350 4matic, GS350x, or 525ix, but why?
Old 12-09-2006, 04:20 PM
Pro

Allow me to put on my flame suit first ....

The answer to your question is ....

THE TL ............. RL's little sister. Though not as luxurious and does not have SH-AWD, but in terms of cost, performance and high-tech gadgets (in its class), it just cannot be beat!!!!
Old 12-09-2006, 08:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by kenny5
Allow me to put on my flame suit first ....

The answer to your question is ....

THE TL ............. RL's little sister. Though not as luxurious and does not have SH-AWD, but in terms of cost, performance and high-tech gadgets (in its class), it just cannot be beat!!!!

Nope. Have had 05 TL and now 06, RL and tsx. Rl i s better of all 3. RL is smoother, built better, more refined and the audio system is superior, just to name a FEW things. I like the TL, but it ain't better than the RL.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:02 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mrdeeno
for the msrp, yes, there are other alternatives out there that are comparatively equal or better.
Only if there are things the RL has that you don't feel you need or want.

Sure, the TL is a "better value" but so is an Accord or Civic. That wasn't the question.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Qest
Only if there are things the RL has that you don't feel you need or want.

Sure, the TL is a "better value" but so is an Accord or Civic. That wasn't the question.
why are you talking about TL's or Accords or Civics?

in the $50k midsize luxury class at the MSRP of the RL, there are many alternatives that offer VERY similar value. A couple thousand more or less in options doesn't make a big difference in value considering that the competitors offer things that may not be available in the RL.

But a NEW $50k RL selling at $42k, that's another story and that's the point I'm making.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
I think Acura made a mistake when they originally set the base price at $50K for the 2005 RL. They should have set it much closer to invoice. Just another sign that Acura (the marketing company based in North America) might not be quite ready for the luxury-brand big leagues.

I think that, even at MSRP, the Acura RL is a better deal than the Germans. However, it the RL's MSRP is only slightly less than the Infiniti M35's. However, the ACUTAL price, plus the trade-in I got for my 2001 CL, made the RL a better deal for me than the Infiniti.

Regarding the TL, I don't know if it is such a great deal if you look at the details. The 2007 TL is still FWD, unlike every car in its class except the Lexus ES, it has fake wood, cheap leather, and is made in Ohio (not that there's anything inherently wrong with that). If you want a quieter, more luxurious car in the price range, there is the Lexus ES. If you want a sportier car in the class, you have the Lexus IS and the new Infiniti G35. If you want to spend a little more money, you can get the ultimate driving machine, the BMW 3 Series. So in my opinion, the competition had really stepped up over the past couple of years, and the major reason to buy a TL at this time is because you want as many gadgets as possible for the price, and you're willing to give up some fundamentals in the process.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:46 AM
Moto Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mrdeeno

for the discounted price for new models and price for used models, i don't think anything out there can touch the RL.
I completely agree. I don't know what sort of discounts are out there for '07 model years, but when I got my '05 they were BIG. Before I got the RL, I was cross shopping BMW, Lexus, Audi, and Infiniti. For the most part, I was leaning towards the Audi or Infiniti, but when I got wind of an '05 Nighthawk Black RL for $41,500.00, I couldn't pass up such an offer. So yeah, at that pricing, there is no better luxury sedan for the money. But at $50k, I'd probably be driving a different car.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by taitando
I don't know what sort of discounts are out there for '07 model years
From what we've seen on this board so far, the 2007 tech model (which is what people here are buying and is the equivalent of the 2006 base model) is going for only a small amount below MSRP.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:21 AM
Pro

At $50k I do not think any of the other competitors are as good when you factor in reliability. They are some great cars until you factor that in. The Lexus GS 350 comes to the top then but it is not as much a drivers car as the RL, it is more of a luxury car. I think the RL is in a special class for me, I would look at BMW's if they were built to last and be reliable, maybe same with the Audi.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:02 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Acura Rating

Just recently when I was looking and the ratings in Consumer Guide were helpful. I was checking out the Infinity M35 all wheel drive, Acura RL, Lexus GS 430,BMW 530 I,Mercedez 350. They were all close the mercedez was first. When it came to PRICE and what you get for that $$ and then safety rating of 5star. I dont think you can beat the acurarl
Old 12-10-2006, 04:29 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by jhr3uva90
I think Acura made a mistake when they originally set the base price at $50K for the 2005 RL. They should have set it much closer to invoice. Just another sign that Acura (the marketing company based in North America) might not be quite ready for the luxury-brand big leagues.

I think that, even at MSRP, the Acura RL is a better deal than the Germans. However, it the RL's MSRP is only slightly less than the Infiniti M35's. However, the ACUTAL price, plus the trade-in I got for my 2001 CL, made the RL a better deal for me than the Infiniti.

Regarding the TL, I don't know if it is such a great deal if you look at the details. The 2007 TL is still FWD, unlike every car in its class except the Lexus ES, it has fake wood, cheap leather, and is made in Ohio (not that there's anything inherently wrong with that). If you want a quieter, more luxurious car in the price range, there is the Lexus ES. If you want a sportier car in the class, you have the Lexus IS and the new Infiniti G35. If you want to spend a little more money, you can get the ultimate driving machine, the BMW 3 Series. So in my opinion, the competition had really stepped up over the past couple of years, and the major reason to buy a TL at this time is because you want as many gadgets as possible for the price, and you're willing to give up some fundamentals in the process.
Hey jhr3uva90 it's me again. It seems like you don't like the TL at all! I'm not sure about the States, but in Canada the ES is quite a lot more expensive than the TL. The base price is already more than the TL. Add the premium package and ur $5k more than a similarly equipped TL. The ES is better in ride comfort, but its handling is no where close to the TL. In terms of interior quality, it's the not best in class indeed, but it doesn't look cheap like the G35's interior, although it has better dynamics. And the IS, its base price is low, but that's only for the IS250. It's way slower than a TL. And then when you add in some packages to match the TL in terms of features, it will be more expensive than the TL. The 3 series is so much more expensive than the TL too! So IMO the TL is no class leader in anything, but it does well in every category and that's the characteristic of the car. But of course, in the end, I still like the RL better =D
Old 12-10-2006, 08:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

It isn't that I don't like the TL at all, although I did like the previous generation better. I'm just saying that competition is much stiffer in the price range now than it was 3 or 4 years ago, and the TL is having a hard time keeping up with it. Also, I think that the engine that the TL uses, and especially the Type S engine, is too much for a FWD car.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:42 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by kirbyflorida
At $50k I do not think any of the other competitors are as good when you factor in reliability. They are some great cars until you factor that in. The Lexus GS 350 comes to the top then but it is not as much a drivers car as the RL, it is more of a luxury car. I think the RL is in a special class for me, I would look at BMW's if they were built to last and be reliable, maybe same with the Audi.
I agree: I have an Audi A6 and had an Infiniti Q45. the infiniti was a nightmare for repairs, major systems failed. The Audi did not have major problems but has the same expensive annoying problems over and over again.

Thats why I didn't even look at the BMW's (German=expensive repairs) and just could not get serious on the M35. So I purposely put my buying mind into Japanse reliability and was totally surprised at the performance of the RL and extra surprised at the discount.

I hope reliability is really there. However i think this is the first new car that I have purchased that does not have 1 defect found off the lot. Knock on wood.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:49 AM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Lack of Onstar.

I'm glad Acura got rid of the GM Gimmick. Acura needs to distance themselves as far as they can from GM.

Onstar only works if you have cellphone service available. I was told by dealership that it was linked by satelite, which is true, but not the built in cellphone service which the Onstar representative confirmed.

I have been hassled by Onstar to renew the subscription for an outrageous price. I really can't see what I need it for. I never used it.

Here's my reasons for not wanting it anymore:

I will never need their service to unlock my car....You can't lock the remote in the car.

I don't need their map/guidance service.....The car has an excellent navigation system.

I am not interested in vehicle diagnostics....I'll call the Acura 800 # and arrange service (its under warranty anyhow) with my bluetooth phone.

I don't need to pay for a 2nd cellphone....I already have a bluetooth phone.

And finally, if someone steals the car....I don't want it back. I'd rather by a new 2007 without Onstar.

The only reason I could justify Onstar was for the automatic calling of emergency service if the Airbags happen to go off in an accident. I hope that with the excellent safety and crash test results that I'll be able to call for help if no one else sees the accident.

This is only my feelings, and I respect those whom would like the Onstar feature. I'd glady give you my Onstar if it was possible.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:14 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by ddswv
Lack of Onstar.

I'm glad Acura got rid of the GM Gimmick. Acura needs to distance themselves as far as they can from GM.

Onstar only works if you have cellphone service available. I was told by dealership that it was linked by satelite, which is true, but not the built in cellphone service which the Onstar representative confirmed.

I have been hassled by Onstar to renew the subscription for an outrageous price. I really can't see what I need it for. I never used it.

I will never need their service to unlock my car....You can't lock the remote in the car.

I don't need their map/guidance service.....The car has an excellent navigation system.

I am not interested in vehicle diagnostics....I'll call the Acura 800 # and arrange service (its under warranty anyhow) with my bluetooth phone.

And finally, if someone steals the car....I don't want it back. I'd rather by a new 2007 without Onstar.

The only reason I could justify Onstar was for the automatic calling of emergency service if the Airbags happen to go off in an accident. I hope that with the excellent safety and crash test results that I'll be able to call for help if no one else sees the accident.

This is only my feelings, and I respect those whom would like the Onstar feature. I'd glady give you my Onstar if it was possible.

Every single reason you mentioned is why I won't renew OnStar. I haven't used it in 7 months of ownership so I can't imagine ever needing it.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:50 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
For the money?...none better.

Agree about Onstar...haven't activated it, don't plan to.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:26 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

It isn't that I don't like the TL at all, although I did like the previous generation better. I'm just saying that competition is much stiffer in the price range now than it was 3 or 4 years ago, and the TL is having a hard time keeping up with it. Also, I think that the engine that the TL uses, and especially the Type S engine, is too much for a FWD car.
I'm glad that I have the 2G TLS. From what I've heard the 3G has more torque steer than the 2G one. I'm not sure about that but I certainly dont feel any torque steer in my car. And yea, the TL used to win every comparison test in C&D, but now, it's usually ranked 3rd or 4th. I guess the Type S model now, is just to keep up with the hp war that's going on right now. But I think the next generation TL should be much better. Since the TL has always been an upgraded Accord, and the next Accord seems to be quite sporty, hopefully the next TL will be a lot better.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by ddswv
Lack of Onstar.

I agree. Onstar is nothing more than KA-Ching for GM. Its about as good as its cars.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:19 PM
Intermediate

Cool Yes there is...

2007 Infiniti M35X w/ Bose, Nav. Spoiler, Heated/ Cooled seats, backup camera etc.

MSRP: $48,620
PAID: $45,550

2006 ACURA RL

MSRP: $49,600
DEAL: $42,000

Soooooooooo - $3550 dollars more for an '07 at the same time people were getting the '06 RL DEALS? Make it $4,000 more.

I agonized over those $4000 - but every time I drove the cars, I came to the same conclusion - when I'm paying $40k plus for a car - make sure to get a great car, even if it costs more, you have to love it.

The RL has a couple more niceties (Sunshade, better stereo still) and I personally like the exterior. The Infiniti is more fun to drive, minimally as luxurious.

Was the Infiniti more expensive? After - oh say - 3 years? I doubt it.

JMHO

SC
Old 12-11-2006, 08:58 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by super_call
2007 Infiniti M35X w/ Bose, Nav. Spoiler, Heated/ Cooled seats, backup camera etc.

MSRP: $48,620
PAID: $45,550

2006 ACURA RL

MSRP: $49,600
DEAL: $42,000

Soooooooooo - $3550 dollars more for an '07 at the same time people were getting the '06 RL DEALS? Make it $4,000 more.

I agonized over those $4000 - but every time I drove the cars, I came to the same conclusion - when I'm paying $40k plus for a car - make sure to get a great car, even if it costs more, you have to love it.

The RL has a couple more niceties (Sunshade, better stereo still) and I personally like the exterior. The Infiniti is more fun to drive, minimally as luxurious.

Was the Infiniti more expensive? After - oh say - 3 years? I doubt it.

JMHO

SC
WELL STATED... Just what I found out this month before buying 2006RL
Old 12-12-2006, 01:38 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Not disputing the Infinit. I just wasn't feeling it. I was truly hooked with the interior of the RL
Old 12-12-2006, 01:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

I really liked the Infiniti M, but I wasn't too crazy about their navigation system or audio system. Acura really excels at gadgets.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:50 AM
'02 NBP TL-S

RL's a great car..... just wish it had a true luxury car back seat. im 6'2" 240 lbs and the back seat is a little tight for me.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:30 PM
Advanced

I agree with you on the back seat; another couple of inches of legroom would be a big plus. However, I'm normally driving and have the kids in back, so it doesn't really affect me.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

I think some people need to sit in the BMW 5 Series or Infiniti M back seat and then complain about the RL.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:28 PM
Suzuka Master

I think some people need to sit in the BMW 5 Series or Infiniti M back seat and then complain about the RL.
maybe the 5-series, but not the M.

the M has a lot of backseat space. It's classified as a "large car" (same class as the 7-series), not a mid-size like the RL or 5-series.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Is that really what the EPA rates the Infiniti M? Wow.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
I like the M35 sport, but don't like the RWD aspect of it. As far as the M35x, looks too much like a maxima or altima (to me). I also didn't want to nissan's in my garage.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Is that really what the EPA rates the Infiniti M? Wow.
The passenger space is just big enough that it crosses the border into "large car" classification, which is what it states on the window sticker.

one of the options in non-sport models is reclining rear seats, so there's a a fair amount of leg space back there, not to mention headroom.

I actually thought it was on the large end of "midsize" classification until I looked at the window sticker.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:22 PM
Instructor

I have an Audi a6 Avant. The first thing my grown kids noticed when sitting in the back seat of the RL is that there was more room, leg room and width, then in the Audi. I was surprised because of all the posts I've read complaining about the lack of room in the back seat.

I don't care about the back seat anyway because I will never sit there.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Apparently, the M does qualify as a large sized car, depending on what options you up in it. The M is borderline. The rest of the midsize cars or not borderline, though.

Really, if people need that much back seat room, I think they should consider getting an SUV or a minivan.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Apparently, the M does qualify as a large sized car, depending on what options you up in it. The M is borderline. The rest of the midsize cars or not borderline, though.

Really, if people need that much back seat room, I think they should consider getting an SUV or a minivan.
The M splits the border, but the EPA still classifies it as a large car even if it's fractionally under the borderline due to different options.

Concerning SUV or minivans, a purchase decision is more than just what is practical. If all purchase decisions were based on practicality, there would be no Acura, BMW, Lexus, Infiniti, MB, etc, and there would be only 1/4 as many SUVs in the streets as there are now.

Besides, most SUV's and minivans i've been in have the same or less leg space anyway. The rest of the room is for a 3rd row seating or storage, and in a lot of cases the seats are much less comfortable.

And you can't corner as sharply at 90mph in most minivans or SUVs.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

Luxury car decisions are mostly emotional. That's why Acura has a hard time in the "true" luxury market. Most Acura drivers choose their cars mainly for practical reasons, because they can get lots of features for the money. However, once you reach a certain price range, people care more about status than features. That's why Mercedes can make cars the fall apart and people still want them, because of the emotional fulfillment of having the Mercedes image. That's also why Mercedes can make an impractical sedan like the CLS, which has inadequate headroom in the back seat. However, if Acura tries something similar, it's practical-minded (and relatively frugal) customers will rail against it.

One thing I've noticed about the RL is that people penalize it for the same reasons why others praise similar cars from "true" luxury brands. People say the RL has a small trunk, when its trunk is roughly the same size as its competitors. People say the RL has boring styling, when it is obvious it styling is based on the S-class Benz. The difference is that Benz drivers can be emotional with their cars, almost to a fault, while Acura folks are almost too practical.

Quick Reply: Is there a better luxury sport sedan out there for the money then the Acura RL