Test drive 06 RL Tech

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 08:02 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Test drive 06 RL Tech

Not my first color choice, white/parch, but the pix showed it was loaded with Aspec wheels, spoiler, wood steer wheel/knob, even those window covers. 25k miles.
On the testdrive, I checked the messages, got warnings!
1- VSA and AWD are not working properly
2- Tires are not corrrect size. (they were 18".)
It actually handled like what I assume Aspec suspension would be like, but the wheel gap looked stock, not sure.

Hated the feel/shape of the wood steering wheel. It really ruined my drive. I'm used to my round leather one in my CLS, the wood RL is ridged and not round and the leather and wood having different circumference was annoying. There was a paper protector on the floor and my feet kept slipping around too. I didn't feel comfortable in the car.

I don't usually buy automatics and really missed my 6 speed in my CLS. Also I didn't care for the parchment (yellow) interior. Car seemed noisier than my CLS too. (maybe the 18" wheels?). The driver mirror was lose and vibrating.

Well, I was underwhelmed by the test drive, and shocked. Maybe I'm too used to my CLS. Sure the steering wheel could be swapped out for stock, but not sure why the warnings about VSA and AWD were not addressed. Handling felt very sharp but the wheel gap looked stock to me.

Is it normal to get these warnings if you put on the 18" Aspecs?

I know these complaints seem trivial but it just didn't feel right tactifully?. Maybe it's not the car for me. I'm trying to stay with Acura but with no coupes, I'm willing to consider the RL. Maybe I'll keep my CLS a few more years, it's fun to drive and trouble free @ 53k miles. hmm.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:17 PM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just for reference, take the time to test drive a new one. Some issues don't sound right to me. My ride prior to the RL was a garage kept 2003 Acura TL with only 17k on it. (like new car) I was amazed by almost every aspect of the 2007 RL. The ride, handling, noise abatement, seat comfort, front seat area spacious cockpit. The main difference that stood out was the power lag due to the drive-by-wire. Drive by wire is good off the line, but if you are cruising at 40 and punch it, it doesn't move for a long second.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:27 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 123456SPEED
Not my first color choice, white/parch, but the pix showed it was loaded with Aspec wheels, spoiler, wood steer wheel/knob, even those window covers. 25k miles.
It actually handled like what I assume Aspec suspension would be like, but the wheel gap looked stock, not sure.

Hated the feel/shape of the wood steering wheel. It really ruined my drive. I'm used to my round leather one in my CLS, the wood RL is ridged and not round and the leather and wood having different circumference was annoying. There was a paper protector on the floor and my feet kept slipping around too. I didn't feel comfortable in the car.

I don't usually buy automatics and really missed my 6 speed in my CLS. Also I didn't care for the parchment (yellow) interior. Car seemed noisier than my CLS too. (maybe the 18" wheels?). The driver mirror was lose and vibrating.

Well, I was underwhelmed by the test drive, and shocked. Maybe I'm too used to my CLS. Sure the steering wheel could be swapped out for stock, but not sure why the warnings about VSA and AWD were not addressed. Handling felt very sharp but the wheel gap looked stock to me.

I know these complaints seem trivial but it just didn't feel right tactifully?. Maybe it's not the car for me. I'm trying to stay with Acura but with no coupes, I'm willing to consider the RL. Maybe I'll keep my CLS a few more years, it's fun to drive and trouble free @ 53k miles. hmm.
If the car is at an Acura dealer, move on, IMHO. If they couldn't get those issues resolved before hand, can you imagine the quality (or lack thereof) of their work?
Old 03-29-2008, 09:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I wonder why the original owner got rid of the car....warnings are not a good sign.

18" is the correct A-Spec wheel size. The A-Spec drop is just under an inch, for some it's not that noticeable. The only way to be certain is to look at the service records for the car.

The advantage of the wood steering wheel is that there are rests for the thumbs. It's clearly not for everyone, though, and the stock wheel is just fine.

Absolutely not.

I agree with Larry, to get a better feel for the RL, drive a new one as it also won't have the A-Spec suspention. I think you have before?
Old 03-29-2008, 09:16 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Isn't a 2006 TECH a CMBS / PAX car?

Sounds to me like an attempt to modify against manufacturer's recommendations gone bad?
Old 03-29-2008, 09:46 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

thanks all. was not at an Acura dealer, Toyota store.
I'll look at any RL that doesn't have the plain stock rims!
Not CMBS, had no radar shield on the front and no CMBS buttons on the steering wheel. I think there was CMBS option in 06. I guess I should have not called it a Tech model. It did have backup camera.
I have driven RLs before.

The parchment interior also put me off, the ad said beige? You don't see many used 06 RLs with Aspec wheels, backup camera so I thought I'd check it out for $32k. they dropped the price $1k if I'd buy.

The previous owner probably didn't check messages. I assume it does not have A-spec suspension as the dealer probably would have installed it and reset the warnings. Don't know.

Thanks for patience with a mad but loyal Acura coupe driver.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:58 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Then it was not a TECH.

In 2006, the RL came in 2 trim levels.

48 States NAVI and TECH (CMBS & PAX).

Also, the backup camera was only offered as a dealer accessory.

I agree you should drive a new one to benchmark with, then compare a used to see how well it stands up to the new drive experience.

Colors and Accessories are subjective, but I can agree that some colors turn me off enough to overshadow the drive.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:11 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Yes, a 2006 Tech is CMBS/PAX

I would be surprised that any Acura dealer sanctioned the installation of A-Spec suspension on a 2006 Tech Pack. It is expressly not recommended by Acura. We have been through this before, but I believe the recommendation is due to the suspension changing the pointing of the ACC/CMBS radar.

The 18 inch tires are fine. The stock PAX is 18 (well close enough at 460 mm) and the A-Specs are also 18's. The A-Specs should be shod with 245/45-18 rubber, and the PAX are the metric equivalents, so I am not sure what the beef is from the car.

What do the wheels look like? Both the 17 inch stockers and the PAX 18s look identical, the beefy 5 spoke stars. The A-Specs look are the split 5 spoke (would that be 10 spoke?) star look.

What tires are on the car?

What do the wheels look like?

The gap is difference is 3/4" which would be pretty hard to tell between stock and not.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:11 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

It was the chromy A-specs. not stock style. Tire size had 45 and 18".
Thanks for the correction about Acura changing what 'Tech' model was in 06 and 07. I knew but forgot.

The camera was the 06 option one, it was centered under the trunk lip.

besides the wheel/tire warning which I think also triggered the AWD and VSA messages, the car was very clean in and out.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:12 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Looks like I missed a couple of postings...never mind.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:20 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

here's a pic -

Old 03-29-2008, 10:35 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Thanks for the correction about Acura changing what 'Tech' model was in 06 and 07. I knew but forgot.

The camera was the 06 option one, it was centered under the trunk lip.

besides the wheel/tire warning which I think also triggered the AWD and VSA messages, the car was very clean in and out.
Sorry SPEED, I did not mean to come across as correcting you. I was looking for a possibility that is was a TECH that was modified / wheels changed to explain some of the trouble codes.

Is it possible that something was done on the car that caused the trouble codes to trigger but not truly an issue? If it was done by a non Honda tech, perhaps they did not know to reset the codes? Pulling at straws here. Only a Honda / Acura Tec can really diagnose.

And yes, My 06 camera is centered.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
That car has the A-Spec suspension and wheels. It looks dropped.

There are no warnings to reset when the A-Spec suspension and/or wheels are installed.

Slept on this overnight. Are the messages you are referring to the Acuralink messages? If so, they are likely generic warnings. When I first bought my car, I got a message about what to do IF the SH-AWD or VSA lights came on at the dash and stayed on, including "go to the dealer". I also got such a VSA not working message after the battery was disconnected once. No dash lights ever came on and I've had no issues with either SH-AWD or VSA.

How much do they want for the car?
Old 03-30-2008, 06:27 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by neuronbob
I think he said they were asking $32K but would drop $1K.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Something is not right here. I would walk, no run, away from any deal and the dealer on this car. It seems, as has been mentioned, that the previous owner(s) made some modifications that are not hoyle and Acura will void the warranty if not done by a dealer. The price is awfully low unless this car has high miles. The dealer is probably asking about $8K over what he paid for the trade.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
That car has the A-Spec suspension and wheels. It looks dropped.

There are no warnings to reset when the A-Spec suspension and/or wheels are installed.

Slept on this overnight. Are the messages you are referring to the Acuralink messages? If so, they are likely generic warnings. When I first bought my car, I got a message about what to do IF the SH-AWD or VSA lights came on at the dash and stayed on, including "go to the dealer". I also got such a VSA not working message after the battery was disconnected once. No dash lights ever came on and I've had no issues with either SH-AWD or VSA.

I agree with Bob - I think those messages are related to the battery being disconnected. When I test drove my 2006 RL I checked the error codes and saw all of those messages and a few more (CMBS). I checked it out with Acura and the dealer and the car had had no repairs to any of the systems and the warranty status was fine. I've had no issues in the 6 months that I've owned it. The only error message I've gotten in the 6 months was when the CMBS cover was covered with snow.

I wouldn't read anything into the VSA and SH-AWD messages if the car's history checks out.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:00 PM
Proboscis-free zone

That looks like a screamin' deal if you can get past the, ah, feminine interior color (sorry if that offends anyone ). I agree that the error codes mean nothing. If that puppy has A-spec wheels and suspension, then it is very aggressively priced indeed. Trade-in for a stock '06 RL Navi with that mileage is a couple grand higher than their asking price.

First order of business: get rid of those granny window covers!! I saw some dude the other day tooling along the 5 freeway in an '07 TL-S with those things on and just about got sick right on the spot. Guess he got confused and thought he had an Accord.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:20 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
My current CGP RL is my first non-white car in a long time. My previous car was a WDP TL with Parchment interior. I REALLY liked that color combo, and I think the white RLs are pretty sharp.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:21 PM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
white and blacks are really sharp looking cars...when they are clean...which happens not often enough for most of us.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:18 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Well, I looked again, it is priced at 32.9k.
Te price is following trends I'm seeing on used RLs, tho this one is loaded with options.
I know little about the messages. I was toying with the control center and clicked on messages. There were three, 1-tires wrong size, 2-AWD needs checking, 3-VSA is not working properly. I saw a message date of May 07.
Yes the interior color puts me off, and I'm not a big fan of white either. (Did they ever offer white/black RL?)
It only has 25k miles. I think the tires were 245/45. I know they were 18".

It's a good price, but there is big price pressure on RL since they do not sell well.
05s are falling under $30k now. I've seen some hi miles 05 at low $20s.

I think my fav color is Lakeshore. I could live with the dark grey but I have that now on my CLS. I know the 09 RL will have 5 new colors, total of 8.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:40 AM
Kang Ho

here's a pic -

Cars looks awfully familiar. I was looking at Cars.com a few days ago. They had some good prices.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:27 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

If you like white/parchment this car is a steal, now down to $30k+ plus some change. with Aspec rims and probably suspension, backup camera, spoiler, wood wheel and knob, pretty much loaded for an 06 Navi, 25k miles.

If I liked this color combo I would make a bid for it.