Steering wheel off center

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 08:52 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering wheel off center

I have a problem with my steering wheel being off center. I had an alignment done at the Acura dealer, and I had to take it back because it still pulled some. I know that it's not the tires because I just bought 4 new Michellin's. They said they rechecked the alignment and adjusted it very slightly. I drove it and it did steer straighter but the steering wheel itself is off just a little to the right even though the car is driving straight. I'm taking it back tomorrow to have them look at it again. Any advice on what needs to be adjusted so I can tell them to do so? I'm frustrated with the way it feels driving with a crooked aimed steering wheel. Thanks
Old 09-17-2010, 09:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
An off center steering wheel would drive me nuts. They should be able to center the steering wheel. There's no reason it should be off center after an alignment if they do it right. Sounds like they didn't take it into account when you took it back the first time. Whenever I get an alignment, I tell them if the steering wheel isn't centered, I'll be back for them to fix it. Never been an issue.

LL
The following users liked this post:
RenoTL (08-22-2015)
Old 09-17-2010, 09:20 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
The wheel should be centered although the car may drift a little. We just had our 2006 RL checked and it changes lanes to the right on the freeway in about 2 tires 5 seconds, 4 tires 7 seconds. Acura says that is within their design spec. However your wheel should be straight when you are going straight. See this TSB http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/SB/B06-034.pdf
Old 09-18-2010, 06:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by merlin the wrench
...We just had our 2006 RL checked and it changes lanes to the right on the freeway in about 2 tires 5 seconds, 4 tires 7 seconds...
It could be drifting because roads are not flat. They have a slight pitch to the side to allow water to drain. Once the car starts to drift, the rate will increase which is why the second two tires go quicker and one of the reasons you are making little adjustments as you drive.

LL
Old 09-18-2010, 08:18 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
You could also have bad tires, even though new.

Take a look at this article and handy pdf instruction sheet
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=12&
http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires..._diagnosis.pdf
Old 09-18-2010, 09:50 AM
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts
I just went through this same issue and it was a real pain. Car sorta drifted to the right - so had NTB alignment done. Still went to the right a little, but those were the OEM tires at 38K miles. So new tires were certainly due.

Ordered new tires (Continnential Extreme DWS) from NTB and about a month later had them installed. Car drifted/pulled to the right the same or more than before (everyone said it couldn't be the tires since they were brand new). Had the alignment done again (under NTB plan/warranty) and still no good. Finally was told I needed a frame/sub-frame adjustment - another $100.

All of this went on for over a month. Several of my DWS tires are bad. In addition to the drift, three of them have to be balanced every other week and one tire you can see moving up-and-down on the balance machine...like an egg. I'm having all four replaced with a new set of Mich Pilot HXMXM4 (I'm paying the difference in cost). NTB refunded my $100 "frame adjustment" and I took it to the local Acura Dealer. They performed a "craddle and/or sub-frame adjustment" - $225.

So I had two problems - brand new tires and sub-frame alignment (to get Castor within spec).

Move your new tires from front to back and/or switch sides. If your drift changes this would say your tires are partially to blame. If moving them makes absolutely no difference, than it's probably just an alignment. This also assumes the tire pressure is set correctly, etc. In any case, get the steering wheel centered. This is usually very easy to fix and shame on your repair center for not assuring it was taken care of.

Good luck! My new Mich tires should be here next week!

Last edited by white05rl; 09-18-2010 at 09:51 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-20-2010, 02:57 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I had a similar issue a few years back, although not on an RL. In my case, repeated alignments and tire swaps didn't help. It took ages to figure out, but turned out to be a bent strut on one side.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:00 AM
Intermediate

Update

Merlin thanks for the TSB. I took the car back in to the dealer and spoke with the shop manager. I told him it was my 3rd time bringing the car back because I was not satisfied. I gave him the TSB and told him to give it to the tech to perform the correction. They gave me a loaner and kept the car for the weekend. I picked it up Monday, they told me they performed the TSB and put it back on the rack to recheck the alignment. Well the damn steering wheel is still crooked! I give up! I don't know what else to do.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:11 PM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
I've had my '05 RL for a little over a year now and the steering's been off center every since I got it. Took it back several times for realignments to no avail. New tires, rotated the tires, all the usual suspects and nothing worked. The tires themselves don't show any usual tread wear patterns from a misalignment though.

It used to drive me crazy, but not as much any more. I started to think it was just the slight slope of the roads to the right side for run-off that was causing it because when I'm in the left lane of a two lane highway with the drift it to the left, and sure enough the steering wheel is slightly off center the left. But still, sometimes on seemingly flat roads with no slope for run-off it's still off center to the right a bit.

I'm hoping someone has been fortunate to solve this :-)
Old 09-22-2010, 12:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura RL'ing it!
Merlin thanks for the TSB. I took the car back in to the dealer and spoke with the shop manager. I told him it was my 3rd time bringing the car back because I was not satisfied. I gave him the TSB and told him to give it to the tech to perform the correction. They gave me a loaner and kept the car for the weekend. I picked it up Monday, they told me they performed the TSB and put it back on the rack to recheck the alignment. Well the damn steering wheel is still crooked! I give up! I don't know what else to do.
Can't you sit there with the Service Manager and show him when you pick up the car?
Old 09-22-2010, 02:00 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by getakey
Can't you sit there with the Service Manager and show him when you pick up the car?

Yeah I'm just gonna have to do that.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:24 PM
1st Gear

Exclamation Not the alinment

Your car can be perfectly alined but still have the steering wheel off,
the steering wheel could be off and it might feel weird but the alinement is straight, but if the car is still drifting to one side or another on flat ground, it does need an alinement, but if you take it to a shop they will be able to fix both, but might charge more (and should charge more) to make the steering wheel straight.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
First post, gives unsolicited advice in 5 year old thread. Silly .