Sprint and PPC 6600

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 10:45 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sprint and PPC 6600

Has anyone succesfully paired their Audiovox PPC6600 with the RL? I have done it with with no problems other than enabling the AcuraLink to dial out over the phone. The phone will dial the internet connection, and it will say its connected. But the car says its unable to connect to the Acura Sever?

Can anyone help me out with some directions? I just bought the car, and am wondering if the VIN has to be "activated" or something before it will connect properly.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:16 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good luck. I think a lot of people have that problem. I do, although with a different phone. If you call Acura Customer Service, they will tell you that it is a Hands Free Link problem. If you call HFL, they will tell you they can't/won't help you if you don't use a phone on the approved list. My phone is not on the approved list so they wouldn't help me, other than to tell me you need a data capable phone (which I have - SMT 5600). So who knows.

Some people have had success having a second phone from the approved list paired to the car and this allows the Acura Link to work. I don't know anyone with an approved phone so I have not been able to try this.

If you get some ideas or get yours to work, please pass along the solution. Thanks and good luck.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:30 PM
Cruisin'

Smile Found the solution!

Ok, looks like I found the solution on another board for the PPC6600/1. Its also the same on the XV6600 and the Siemens SX66.

The complete text of the article is below. Since the bluetooth patch is already in the PPC 6600, I didnt not need to install anything other than make the registry change. Basically, if your Handsfree works, all you have to do is make the registry change and the AcuraConnect should work. On any other Windows Mobile device should behave the same (just make the registry change).

I have gotten the bluetooth to work successfully with the Acura TL '04 with 100% compatibility using the PPC6601, however I imagine it will also work with other devices.

Enabling phone dialing via bluetooth....

[ File/System Config ]
File: "Build 3500 (rev 124 released 12/23/04 with AudioGW.dll from Build 3100 to fix DUN/ActiveSync on PDA sleep)"
From: http://www.pdaphonehome.com/forums/...?threadid=39539

To make this work, while you use the 3500 build, you use the AudioGW.DLL from the 3100 build. It is located in the /Windows folder where there are most likely many many other files To decipher if you are using the correct build, you can look at the file date. The 3500 build's DLL will be dated 12/10/04 which is WRONG - the correct date should be 11/05/04. You may have the correct file with a DLL1 or similar ext. Just rename the two files so that the correct file has the .DLL ext and the incorrect one with the DLL1 ext (or DLL0,1,2,3,4 whatever). ALSO, be sure that bluetooth is not enabled, or you may not be able to change/install the correct DLL.

[ Registry Config ]
Key: \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Widcomm\BtConfig\Gene ral
ValueName: EnableAFH
Value: 1

Just change the above value from 0 to 1 and you are done! Not much else to do here.

Once changes are done, simply re-enable bluetooth. You shouldn't even need to reset,
just restart bluetooth - however if has been a while since a reset, it certainly wouldn't hurt.

** I've attached a lil tool written in .NET that will allow you to change this registry setting without using a registry editor for those of you not familiar with the registry.
The URL to download the tool is: http://www.santasoft.com/PPC/Blueto...eDialerTool.zip

-jeff
Old 03-31-2005, 11:36 AM
Cruisin'

What are you using for your user and password for acuralink. I assume user is username@sprintpcs.com, but is there a default password, or is this something that was user defined when the account was created (last four digits of social perhaps?)

Ian
Old 03-31-2005, 12:35 PM
Cruisin'

There is no userid and password for sprint. You can just use the quick setup from the "setup" menu. It will lead you through a wizard to configure your provider.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:45 PM
Cruisin'

That is what I did, but it didn't connect. Maybe an issue with my Treo. I will have to play with it some more.

Thanks.

Ian
Old 03-31-2005, 04:10 PM
Cruisin'

Since I had to "enable" the car to dial out automatically on the Pocket PC OS, I am sure that you have to do something similar. I found a post on a PDA forum that claims that you can not do it if you have a Treo 650....you may want to check around on that forum and see if you can find out any more information.

http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/showt...threadid=45594
Old 03-31-2005, 04:58 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by crotius
Since I had to "enable" the car to dial out automatically on the Pocket PC OS, I am sure that you have to do something similar. I found a post on a PDA forum that claims that you can not do it if you have a Treo 650....you may want to check around on that forum and see if you can find out any more information.

http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/showt...threadid=45594
Thanks. I know there are some issues with Bluetooth and the Treo. I have mine paired and working with the car fine (although no battery or signal indicator). Correct me if I am wrong, but AcuraLink initiates a PPP connection through the phone, which would be the same as if I was calling someone. AcuraLink does not (again correct me if I am wrong) initiate a Dial Up Networking connection through the phone.

What I really need to do is spend some time playing with it. I haven't had a chance yet.

Thanks for the research and time crotius!
Old 03-31-2005, 05:17 PM
Cruisin'

It does initiate a dial up networking connection. I had to explicity enable that feature on my phone in order for it to work. My cell phone is my other hobby (after the RL), so I have a lot of information at my fingertips.

I just hope it helps others out there!

Good Luck.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:24 PM
Cruisin'

Cool. I will download the dial up networking hack and see if I can get it working. BTW - how do you like the PPC6600? Has it been pretty stable for you?
Old 04-01-2005, 08:20 AM
Instructor

If any of you guys can figure out the hack to get a Microsoft Smartphone - Audiovox, SMT 5600 - to link with the Acura Server, please let me know. I can make the registry changes if any are needed, I just don't know what needs to be changed, if any. Thanks.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:49 AM
Cruisin'

Yep, the PPC6600 is an incredible device. I live and breathe by my calender, contacts and email, so this has been a phenomonal (sp) device. Its not as good as the Treo as far as form factor, but its really close. I like it better than the treo due to the capabilities of the OS - the multimedia is incredible. Its also nice to be able to sync movies from my Media Center and watch 24 while I am on a plane.

As far as the 5600 goes, you should have the same registry hack that I did. Just download a registry editor - there are some excellent free ones out there - and roll.
Old 04-02-2005, 10:54 AM
Instructor

crotius, thanks. Apparently the SMT 5600 does not use the same BT stack as the 6600. I believe it uses a Microsoft stack. I have a registry editor but could not locate the the keys mentioned in the hack above. So maybe that is why I am not able to conect to the Accur server, the BT stack is set up differently. Thanks anyway.