So I lost my key and have a question...

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 09:04 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So I lost my key and have a question...

I just bought my RL and it only came with one key (Driver 2) and I have misplaced the key. However I can still start my car and it says Welcome Driver 2 and it runs fine....Ive never tried starting my car without the key near the car so I dont know the answer to this....if Im able to run my car does that mean that its somewhere in the car? Or would I still be able to start my car somehow even if its not in the car.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:13 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Yes.

The car is recognizing the transmitter, so it must be in the car.

You should not be able to lock your doors either with the fob inside, so you need find the fob.

If your trunk is closed, then it is not in the trunk but must be in the passenger compartment. I did read somewhere that someone left the fob in the engine bay near the windshield while cleaning the bay, and the car did read the fob for ignition from the engine bay.

Unless you stowed it somewhere (glovebox, console bin, door map pocket, etc) the likely spot in under the driver's seat close to the console or on the seat rail.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:30 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRL
Yes.

The car is recognizing the transmitter, so it must be in the car.

You should not be able to lock your doors either with the fob inside, so you need find the fob.

If your trunk is closed, then it is not in the trunk but must be in the passenger compartment. I did read somewhere that someone left the fob in the engine bay near the windshield while cleaning the bay, and the car did read the fob for ignition from the engine bay.

Unless you stowed it somewhere (glovebox, console bin, door map pocket, etc) the likely spot in under the driver's seat close to the console or on the seat rail.

I def. agree with tampa. The key has to be inside the car. How else is the car starting
Old 09-30-2008, 09:31 PM
Racer

Thanks! And thats great news...Ive only spent about 20 minutes looking, but my car is spotless inside so I figured there werent many places for it to hide if it was indeed in the car.

Thats great news though, thanks for the quick response....seems like tomorrow will be a day for searching
Old 09-30-2008, 09:34 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Blazing GT
I def. agree with tampa. The key has to be inside the car. How else is the car starting
I know right...I kept thinking maybe I should just PM a bunch of members b/c this is such a noob question...I deserve the tomato
Old 09-30-2008, 09:35 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

hmmm.

1. check if your trunk is open. If it is then the key is def. in there (meaning if the trunk will not close)
2. The key could be under your seat in a little slot *wierd i know* that's where i found mine
Old 09-30-2008, 09:35 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by Tyzing
Thanks! And thats great news...Ive only spent about 20 minutes looking, but my car is spotless inside so I figured there werent many places for it to hide if it was indeed in the car.

Thats great news though, thanks for the quick response....seems like tomorrow will be a day for searching
Is the car garaged? The doors will be unlocked and anyone can drive off with it.

This is one lesson to learn the importance of the fob....most of us have been where you are now. The next lesson will be when you learn how expensive those fobs are to replace! You may find one on Ebay, but it is difficult to find a Driver 1. Typically only a Driver 2 is available. Then you need a dealer tech to program it to your RL.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:41 PM
Racer

LOL I just bought one on ebay for $60! I was thinking that was a decent price...how much to get it re programed?

Im going out now with a flashlight, Im going to find it now...I just wish the thing wasnt so big...its by far the biggest key Ive had to lug around ever!
Old 09-30-2008, 09:42 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

come back with the good news
Old 09-30-2008, 10:19 PM
Racer

You were correct sir it was on the rail! LoL....what a noob....luckily I live in a city on the top 10 list for lowest crime...lol...geez

Thanks for letting me know how the FOB works

So how much will it cost to program my other key I just ordered?
Old 09-30-2008, 10:26 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

about the cost of the program
Old 10-01-2008, 12:18 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
You were correct sir it was on the rail! LoL....what a noob....luckily I live in a city on the top 10 list for lowest crime...lol...geez

depends on the dealership

first you have to buy a new key blank and get that CUT and Programmed to your car. They will need the Driver 2 key as well to do that. THAT CAN BE $35 - 60

then you have to get the smart functions programmed for the fob i.e. start car, open doors without pressing any buttons etc. anywhere from $45-60

you can program the buttons yourself but all that will do is allow you to open and close the doors but you will not be able to start the car etc.

now if the dealer will do all three of these for a set price in the 50 - 60 range
then youi're good........most of them will not though
Old 10-01-2008, 08:19 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Been there....done that!

I have read fees from $30 - $70 bucks to program the fob....unless you have a chummy tech who will do it for you on his time.

Did you get a Driver 1 fob from Ebay? Most I see are Driver 2 and I have read you cannot have two Driver 1 or two Driver 2 fobs assigned to the RL, but one of each.