Shopping for 2006/2007 RL

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 07:09 PM
Cruising in ATL!!

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Shopping for 2006/2007 RL

In a few months, I'll be giving up my company vehicle and will be in a market for a new car. I previously owned 03 Acura Cl and enjoyed very much. Would love to shop for another Acura and noticed some outstanding deals on these second generation RLs. From what I've gathered so far reading thru different threads, i'd like to stay away from 2005 models. And to stay within my budget of $20k to 22k, I narrowed it down to 06 or 07. So question is this.... What difference can I expect? I can either find low mileage 06 that would fall within my budget or find higher mileage 07. Are there things I need to look out for? How about recalls? Should warranty be in consideration when choosing the year? What different package was offered as option on these two years?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
whatever you do , either year make sure you are not getting a pax package. go with certified if possible, i have had rubber seals, chrome trims replaced under warranty.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:42 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by knv8
whatever you do , either year make sure you are not getting a pax package. go with certified if possible, i have had rubber seals, chrome trims replaced under warranty.
just out of curiosity why would you suggest not getting pax package?
Old 11-07-2010, 11:45 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by knv8
Which part of the chrome trim did you have replaced? I just noticed a small chip on the chrome finish of my grill.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by meowevil
just out of curiosity why would you suggest not getting pax package?
search this forum and you will see pax wheel replacements are super expensive to replace and difficult to find. lotta members here depaxed their cars.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SSjTrunks112O
Which part of the chrome trim did you have replaced? I just noticed a small chip on the chrome finish of my grill.
it was actually the rear chrome bumper trim, the front is prob from rock chips. i doubt the warranty will cover that.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:48 AM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts
The only difference that I am aware of from the 06 to 07 is the back-up camera. I would not let this be a deal breaker because when I put it in reverse there is a delay before the camera starts to work and I am usually already where I need to be. Also personal opinion, I think a back-up camera is needed much more on the higher SUV'S. I have a 07 with 135,000 trouble free and very enjoyable miles. The car looks and drives like it did at day one. The nav, xm, sound system, and bluetooth are a must have that you will soon discover and agree. Good Luck!!!
Old 11-08-2010, 09:23 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
I would not necessarily rule out a PAX package, because I think the ACC/CMBS is quite a useful feature.

You just need to know what you are getting and whether you are willing to put up with the issues which you can search out on the forum.

I do agree that replacement of PAX tires are quite expensive, about $2K for 4 tires including new gel lubricant and special services and equipment to remove and mount, but I have never had any issues with the tires themselves, in fact, I have always thought they rode, handled better than the 17's. That being said, I have de-PAXed because I wanted the ability to use different rubber and try out 19 inch wheels, vs the PAX 18 inch equivalents.

If you plan on changing wheels and tires anyway, and are willing to deal with other issues, such as software and getting a compact spare tire, PAX is not necessarily a that bad. A decent set of wheels and tires will cost about $2K anyway...The payback comes on subsequent sets of tires...I tend to like higher performance rubber (and inherent shorter life) and understand that this means new tires every 20-30K miles, about 1/2 the life of PAX tires...
Old 11-08-2010, 09:34 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by FredS
The only difference that I am aware of from the 06 to 07 is the back-up camera. I would not let this be a deal breaker because when I put it in reverse there is a delay before the camera starts to work and I am usually already where I need to be. Also personal opinion, I think a back-up camera is needed much more on the higher SUV'S. I have a 07 with 135,000 trouble free and very enjoyable miles. The car looks and drives like it did at day one. The nav, xm, sound system, and bluetooth are a must have that you will soon discover and agree. Good Luck!!!
Check out the Wiki article on the RL. It is reasonably accurate, and you can track the changes. You will see the 07 loses OnStar, but gains a rear backup camera (which is installable as an option on 06's) and 3 mm stereo input jack (for which aftermarket items exist on an 06). 07 is also when they came up with three trim levels, Standard, Tech Package, and Tech Package + ACC/CMBS/PAX which are distinctly different packaging than the 06 Standard and Tech Package trim.

WRT recalls, the Power Steering hose recall and master cylinder seal recall affect 2007 models also. PS hose recall seems universal, but the master cylinder seal recall seem to be a developing story, and may only apply to certain cars.

There was also a fuel pump relay issue, handled as a warranty item, and depended on the relay manufacturer, and so not all 2005 and 2006 cars were affected by this.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:36 AM
Missing my

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
You don't need to stay away from 2005s, especially if the AC issue has already been addressed.

I also came from a CL and I couldn't be happier with the RL. It's up to you though.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:52 PM
Cruising in ATL!!

Originally Posted by Chas2
Check out the Wiki article on the RL. It is reasonably accurate, and you can track the changes. You will see the 07 loses OnStar, but gains a rear backup camera (which is installable as an option on 06's) and 3 mm stereo input jack (for which aftermarket items exist on an 06). 07 is also when they came up with three trim levels, Standard, Tech Package, and Tech Package + ACC/CMBS/PAX which are distinctly different packaging than the 06 Standard and Tech Package trim.

WRT recalls, the Power Steering hose recall and master cylinder seal recall affect 2007 models also. PS hose recall seems universal, but the master cylinder seal recall seem to be a developing story, and may only apply to certain cars.

There was also a fuel pump relay issue, handled as a warranty item, and depended on the relay manufacturer, and so not all 2005 and 2006 cars were affected by this.
I'm assuming best way to confirm whether recalls have been addressed is to have Acura dealer run the VIN number... Correct?

What can I expect on the tech package as well as this PAX package?

Back-up camera is not a must but would be a neat feature to have (just because I never had it before). Additional 3mm... nice feature but ultimately I would like to add an aftermarket item for IPOD so it would display songs/artist...etc.

Anything on the color? More options available in 07 models?

I've noticed some cars have wooden steering wheel and shift know. Was this an add-on piece or part of package?
Old 11-08-2010, 04:54 PM
Cruising in ATL!!

How about on the navi software? can I expect difference version between 06 and 07? perhaps 07 is more updated on POI coverage?

Do most members purchase extended warranty on these RLs? If so, what do you expect to pay on cars that's close to running out of the original warranty? $2k?
Old 11-11-2010, 12:32 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by baboya96
I'm assuming best way to confirm whether recalls have been addressed is to have Acura dealer run the VIN number... Correct?

What can I expect on the tech package as well as this PAX package?

Back-up camera is not a must but would be a neat feature to have (just because I never had it before). Additional 3mm... nice feature but ultimately I would like to add an aftermarket item for IPOD so it would display songs/artist...etc.

Anything on the color? More options available in 07 models?

I've noticed some cars have wooden steering wheel and shift know. Was this an add-on piece or part of package?
That's correct, a VIN STAT shows a car's recall & TSB history.

2006 Base = 2007 Tech & 2006 Tech = 2007 PAX/CMBS.
The Tech pkg has Navi, AFS lights, wood trim & a backup camera. PAX/CMBS adds a Collision Mitigation Braking System, which signals of approaching objects and applies the brakes and tightens the front seatbelts if it determines a collision is unavoidable, Auto Cruise Control which slows your car down if it senses an approaching object, and the PAX system which is basically Michelin's run flat tire system.
The 2007 base did not have any of these features standard.

Lastly, the wooden steering wheel & shifter are indeed OEM add-ons from the dealerships' accessory department..
Old 11-12-2010, 01:04 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Not much more to add aside from the fact that my '06 has about 75K miles on it and I love it as much as the day I drove it off the showroom floor.

One issue that I didn't see mentioned and my only gripe with this car is the door handles. Not sure if it was fixed in the later models, but the '05s and obviously as in my case the '06s had issues with the sensors shorting and failing in the exterior door handles. As a result the touch to lock, and grab to unlock wouldn't work.

I'm not exaggerating, but each side has been replaced at least 4 times on each side over the past 4.5 years. It has made me grateful that I purchased the AcuraCare warranty as each door handle costs ~$400 for the part alone.

Despite that, I love this car.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:30 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
The 2006 RL also has ONSTAR, which was dropped off the 2007 model. Also there is yet some mystery to this, but some 2007-2008 RLs do not have shark fins.

NAVI DVD updates are released every year, and also include yearly ZAGAT updates.

*** Greetings from Florence, Italy ***
Old 11-12-2010, 06:40 PM
Safety Car

Received 421 Likes on 315 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRL
The 2006 RL also has ONSTAR, which was dropped off the 2007 model. Also there is yet some mystery to this, but some 2007-2008 RLs do not have shark fins.

NAVI DVD updates are released every year, and also include yearly ZAGAT updates.

*** Greetings from Florence, Italy ***
Wasn't the shark fin dropped because that's where the onstar receptor was?
Then, they moved gps receptor to shark fin and brought it back in 2009, perhaps part way through 2008
Old 11-20-2010, 11:00 PM
Cruising in ATL!!

I stopped by local Acura dealer and found (2) 2005 RLs. Both with rather high mileage than I was looking for (68k and 73k). Sat in both cars but didn't test drive. But I was already impressed with the interior quality and roomy size. I'm now convinced RL is my next car.

So question is this.... what should I expect to pay on 07 less than 40k mileage? Several cars locally asking $23k to $25k. Is this fair? Should I continue looking?
Old 11-20-2010, 11:18 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would keep looking my friend! If you know anyone who is a dealer they can probably look through several auctions. Right now is the best time to buy because once tax return season hits many places will have a higher estimated value of cars and therefore will be some what harder to negotiate.

Just to let you know, I am in the process of purchasing an 08' RL with 30-40K miles for close to 4-10 under list, if all works out. So if you have a really good friend I suggest you try and utilize them!

Last edited by VietGuy03; 11-20-2010 at 11:26 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:28 PM
Missing my

$23-$25k is fair for a low mileage CPO in those years. I didn't buy CPO the last two Acuras I bought and I've been lucky so far. However, there are a few nagging little issues I would have repaired if I wasn't paying out of pocket. When you have somebody search the auctions for you, be careful. Make sure the person looking is more than just a friend-of-a-friend. Auction cars are cheaper but are sold as-is. You could end up with something that has been smoked in or hasn't been regularly maintained. You're also at the mercy of the dealer to be honest about what they paid for the car. I was looking to go this route, and would have, except I found a private party car I was really happy with. Either way, you're going to love this car!!!!
Old 11-21-2010, 06:09 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by getakey
Wasn't the shark fin dropped because that's where the onstar receptor was?
Then, they moved gps receptor to shark fin and brought it back in 2009, perhaps part way through 2008
Initially yes. But then a dual XM antennae was added which revived the shark fin. What the mystery is concerns where about in the production of 2007 & 2008 RLs this occurs as some have fins, others do not.

***Greetings from Funchal***
Old 11-21-2010, 09:00 PM
Cruising in ATL!!

Originally Posted by tnobori1
$23-$25k is fair for a low mileage CPO in those years. I didn't buy CPO the last two Acuras I bought and I've been lucky so far. However, there are a few nagging little issues I would have repaired if I wasn't paying out of pocket. When you have somebody search the auctions for you, be careful. Make sure the person looking is more than just a friend-of-a-friend. Auction cars are cheaper but are sold as-is. You could end up with something that has been smoked in or hasn't been regularly maintained. You're also at the mercy of the dealer to be honest about what they paid for the car. I was looking to go this route, and would have, except I found a private party car I was really happy with. Either way, you're going to love this car!!!!
I'm not looking for a CPO within that price range as they're mostly above $25k with less than 40k mileage. What does CPO cover? Provide additional bumper to bumper 12months/12,000 mileage? Is there anything else?

I'd love for a CPO but pretty much set on my budget which is really $22k to $23k. I'm hoping to land on 2007 with some factory mileage still left.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:20 PM
Missing my

I'm not looking for a CPO within that price range as they're mostly above $25k with less than 40k mileage. What does CPO cover? Provide additional bumper to bumper 12months/12,000 mileage? Is there anything else?

I'd love for a CPO but pretty much set on my budget which is really $22k to $23k. I'm hoping to land on 2007 with some factory mileage still left.
CPO adds the extra time and mileage... It also "ensures" a certain level of quality. The dealer has standards for certification so they have to be pretty clean cars to qualify.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

For what it's worth!
Old 11-21-2010, 10:22 PM
Missing my

I forgot to mention mileage... To me, mileage is less important than the quality of the car. I ended up purchasing a car with about 15-20k more miles because I hadn't seen a cleaner RL in my search. I felt better buying from a trustworthy seller with a higher mileage car than another person with fewer miles. Just my opinion.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:55 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by tnobori1
I forgot to mention mileage... To me, mileage is less important than the quality of the car. I ended up purchasing a car with about 15-20k more miles because I hadn't seen a cleaner RL in my search. I felt better buying from a trustworthy seller with a higher mileage car than another person with fewer miles. Just my opinion.
Indeed. A low mileage car may have been previously owned by a city dweller. Such vehicle could experience the same amount of wear, or perhaps more wear and tear than a highway mileage cruiser. City drivers experience more start and stop driving, more brake use, more suspension impacts, parking dings and dents, etc, than a similar age vehicle subject to relaxed highway cruising.

Check the wear of the vehicle and balance with the mileage.

***Greetings from Funchal***
Old 11-22-2010, 04:49 PM
Cruising in ATL!!

Both valid points on the mileage but (for me at least) when shopping for a used vehicle, it can be pretty difficult to judge the condition of cars. I think it's all subjective. What I mostly pay attention besides the obvious (scratch, dent, wear/tear on the interior) is brake pads, rotors condition and tire condition. If vehicle was purchased new and owner replaced brake pads sooner than 25k to 30k miles, that tells me it was either driven rough or did city driving alot. At least that's the way I look at it. I'm obviously no mechanic by any means so those are things I rely on. I do however would like to find a vehicle with some factory mileage left over so once I take the ownership, I do have the option of taking it into a dealer for thorough(hopefully) inspection and not pay for the service. Paying extra so that car is certified... in my eyes, doesn't seem worth the extra penny you're paying compared to non-acura dealer or even private-party. Once again CPO is sorta like insurance. Having it may give you that piece of mind, but doesn't necessarily justify the penny until you have to use it.

Thanks for providing two links but I'm trying to stay under 50k mileage and within 4 years from the original purchase date.

it's getting tough though... on top of that, I'm in love with either white or black exterior so that's making it even more difficult.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:53 PM
Cruising in ATL!!

BTW, is CPO (12months/12k mileage) cover EXACT same thing as the factory bumper to bumper warranty? I know in the past with Acura, extended warranty I purchased did not offer all so it was a big-let-down. If I were to purchase a car that had 2 previous owners and 2nd owner had a CPO, does it carry over to a new owner?
Old 11-22-2010, 04:56 PM
Cruising in ATL!!

One more thing.... i'm finding a lot of cars in non-acura dealers and they don't necessarily know the option on this car. How do I tell these technology package and PAX package?
Old 11-22-2010, 05:04 PM
Missing my

BTW, is CPO (12months/12k mileage) cover EXACT same thing as the factory bumper to bumper warranty? I know in the past with Acura, extended warranty I purchased did not offer all so it was a big-let-down. If I were to purchase a car that had 2 previous owners and 2nd owner had a CPO, does it carry over to a new owner?
As far as I know it is the same exact coverage as the factory warranty. I had a problem with my navigation in our '03 MDX that ended up getting us a new car because it couldn't be fixed. Read from post #11 and on

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...light=tnobori1

Even though it was frustrating and it took a long time, Acura took care of us under the CPO warranty. In my case, we literally got a new car out of it. Under no other circumstances would this have happened. Obviously this isn't the norm, but now you know why I'm a fan.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:05 PM
Missing my

Also, I feel you on the white or black! I was very picky and didn't want to compromise. Unless you're in a hurry, you should be picky!
Old 11-22-2010, 05:32 PM
Burning Brakes

ask the dealer what extras you get with certified, they will replace or fix things like worn out tires, scratched rims, dings...
Old 11-24-2010, 11:26 AM
Cruising in ATL!!

What do you guys think of this deal?
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/2071335304.html

Seller is 'somewhat' flexible on the price but not enough to drop to $20k-$21k to fit my budget. Have not seen it in person yet. Pictures are mixed of actual car and Ad so not sure what to make of it but the last picture (dash) shows some type of carpet over the dashboard. That tells me this car was sorta taken care of. Wouldn't you think? Driver is supposed to 61 which makes (or at least want to believe) it was gently driven. Who knows???!?!

Problem is... not a big fan of silver exterior or gray interior. How is gray leather? Does it hold up wear/tear pretty well? Does this car have all the package that came with 06 models?

Old 11-24-2010, 11:48 AM
Safety Car

Read for yourself what it covers
http://www.acura.com/WarrantyCoverage.aspx

One potential advantage of a CPO car is the ability to purchase Acura Care Extended Warranty to 100 or 120K miles to cover big ticket items, although in general, these cars seem very reliable, at least according to Consumer Reports.

he dealer will give you a really bad price in general, but many non-Floridians were able to buy Acura Care warranties over the phone through Acura internet dealers. Previously, you could buy such warranties over the internet, but that has been prohibited by Acura. The work around is to shop on the internet, or call different dealers, then conclude the transaction by telephone, which is not, therefore, an internet sale.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:15 PM
Safety Car

One more thing.... i'm finding a lot of cars in non-acura dealers and they don't necessarily know the option on this car. How do I tell these technology package and PAX package?
Check out this article, generally accurate. You will see that in 2006 they had two trim levels Standard and Tech (ACC/CMBS/PAX)

In 2007, they added what amounted to a lower trim level.

Bottom line, Technology Package had a different meaning in 2006 versus 2007 forward to 2010.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acura_RL
Old 11-24-2010, 12:45 PM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
I stopped by local Acura dealer and found (2) 2005 RLs. Both with rather high mileage than I was looking for (68k and 73k). Sat in both cars but didn't test drive. But I was already impressed with the interior quality and roomy size. I'm now convinced RL is my next car.

So question is this.... what should I expect to pay on 07 less than 40k mileage? Several cars locally asking $23k to $25k. Is this fair? Should I continue looking?
Do you understand these 2 cars are below the avg. miles driven per year? Those cars are both almost 6yrs old. If you do the math, one car 68k miles was driven or 11333 mi/yr. The other one 73k miles was driven 12,166 mi/yr. That's not a lot at all.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:20 PM
Cruising in ATL!!

Originally Posted by ParaSurfer1979
Do you understand these 2 cars are below the avg. miles driven per year? Those cars are both almost 6yrs old. If you do the math, one car 68k miles was driven or 11333 mi/yr. The other one 73k miles was driven 12,166 mi/yr. That's not a lot at all.
That's not necessarily true because your assumption of 6 years old is based on assumption that car was originally purchased on 1/1/2005 making it 6 years old. Both cars could have been first purchased in early or even late 2006. I didn't ask for carfax reports so we don't know... Exterior looked fairly decent but severe wear/tear interior was what turned me off. Also alot of buttons finish were coming off as well. Both cars were CPO but I couldn't justify paying $21k-$22k for these two cars. And that was before tax, doc fee, tag fee....etc.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:21 PM
Cruising in ATL!!

Read for yourself what it covers
http://www.acura.com/WarrantyCoverage.aspx

One potential advantage of a CPO car is the ability to purchase Acura Care Extended Warranty to 100 or 120K miles to cover big ticket items, although in general, these cars seem very reliable, at least according to Consumer Reports.

he dealer will give you a really bad price in general, but many non-Floridians were able to buy Acura Care warranties over the phone through Acura internet dealers. Previously, you could buy such warranties over the internet, but that has been prohibited by Acura. The work around is to shop on the internet, or call different dealers, then conclude the transaction by telephone, which is not, therefore, an internet sale.
thanks the info! however it doesn't spell out whether it's identical to the original bumper-to-bumper warranty coverage. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 11-24-2010, 06:27 PM
Cruising in ATL!!

Check out this article, generally accurate. You will see that in 2006 they had two trim levels Standard and Tech (ACC/CMBS/PAX)

In 2007, they added what amounted to a lower trim level.

Bottom line, Technology Package had a different meaning in 2006 versus 2007 forward to 2010.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acura_RL
Thanks!
i was going thru different threads regarding PAX. What's so horrible about it? non-flat tires? too expensive to maintain? ride comfort? I have SC430 which came standard with non-flat. Did not like them so got rid of them first opportuninity I had. Is it as simple as changing out to regular tires?
Old 11-24-2010, 06:35 PM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
thanks the info! however it doesn't spell out whether it's identical to the original bumper-to-bumper warranty coverage. Can anyone confirm this?
Yes... I also extended my warranty to 100k because stuff like electronics are expensive. My dealership has lifetime limited warranty too on all used cars under 50k miles so i have that too...
Old 11-24-2010, 07:15 PM
Cruising in ATL!!

What do you guys think of this deal?
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/2071335304.html

Seller is 'somewhat' flexible on the price but not enough to drop to $20k-$21k to fit my budget. Have not seen it in person yet. Pictures are mixed of actual car and Ad so not sure what to make of it but the last picture (dash) shows some type of carpet over the dashboard. That tells me this car was sorta taken care of. Wouldn't you think? Driver is supposed to 61 which makes (or at least want to believe) it was gently driven. Who knows???!?!

Problem is... not a big fan of silver exterior or gray interior. How is gray leather? Does it hold up wear/tear pretty well? Does this car have all the package that came with 06 models?

So can anyone comment on this car and pricing??? Owner may be a member here already but seems to be pretty knowledgeable of his car.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:49 AM
Cruising in ATL!!

So buyer is willing to let it go for $22k. What do you guys think?
I'm trying to set up an appointment to look at it this weekend.

Quick Reply: Shopping for 2006/2007 RL