SH-AWD Sets a Bad Example?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 12:39 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by neuronbob
True! I kinda miss that about the RL. I think the most bars I got on the outer rear wheel was four, and I was scared spitless when I did it.

Also true.
I did the same thing the other day to just try it out. But after I did it I had a big smile on my face.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:16 AM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by psheu
Downshift? Why? you are suppose to power through the turn and watch that outer rear wheel torque meter go up a few notch and the RL hug the curves like a lover.... and have a big smile on your face while doing it....

IMHO, I don't think Rx7 is in the same class and have the ability to do the same as RL.....
Well, coming off of a 65 + mph highway and into a 25 - 30mph turn, Does require some kind of drop in speed. Ya gotta get down to a manageable
speed to be able to "power through". At least the exits I take on my way to work. They get tight - fast, at times.

The RX IS a different class - of course, but its light weight, manual 5 speed, dump truck transmission (for those HEAVY downshifts), and WAaay low profile - along with a body balance (the rear tire is right behind my ass - literally), makes it THE best handling car Ive ever owned. Its like a go cart. You can practically steer the car with the gas in turns.

Im just getting used to the RL. Dont want to make a comparison quite yet, because the RL is the heaviest (and first 4 door) car Ive ever owned. I almost learned the hard way, driving an automatic into turns, with my 98 CL. That is DEF. NOT a sports car. It has wicked top roll (wasnt lowered) and got flat out scary in turns, at high speed.

The first week I owned my RL I had a 90's style Z28 (or other type Old style camaro) stick right with me in some turns. I didnt know my RL real well, so I didnt push it too much. I'll get to feel more comfortable in the RL after a while and push it as far as I feel comfortable. The weight on the car is Def. something Im going to have to get used to.

Last edited by woodek; 06-07-2009 at 02:19 AM.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by woodek
Well, coming off of a 65 + mph highway and into a 25 - 30mph turn, Does require some kind of drop in speed. Ya gotta get down to a manageable
speed to be able to "power through". At least the exits I take on my way to work. They get tight - fast, at times.

The RX IS a different class - of course, but its light weight, manual 5 speed, dump truck transmission (for those HEAVY downshifts), and WAaay low profile - along with a body balance (the rear tire is right behind my ass - literally), makes it THE best handling car Ive ever owned. Its like a go cart. You can practically steer the car with the gas in turns.

Im just getting used to the RL. Dont want to make a comparison quite yet, because the RL is the heaviest (and first 4 door) car Ive ever owned. I almost learned the hard way, driving an automatic into turns, with my 98 CL. That is DEF. NOT a sports car. It has wicked top roll (wasnt lowered) and got flat out scary in turns, at high speed.

The first week I owned my RL I had a 90's style Z28 (or other type Old style camaro) stick right with me in some turns. I didnt know my RL real well, so I didnt push it too much. I'll get to feel more comfortable in the RL after a while and push it as far as I feel comfortable. The weight on the car is Def. something Im going to have to get used to.
65+ to 25-30mph turns are what makes our RL remarkable.... let go the gas a bit before you engage the turn..... you'll c the torque meter turn our RL into a rear wheel drive than just turn the steering to match the curve..... if no cars in front of you, give it more power watch all 4 wheels grab the road accordingly and leave the rest to our RL.... as you get more use to RL, i'm gonna quote Tampa, your RL will whisper to you 'bet u didn't know i can do that' instead of 'i can do it! i can do it!'.... May your RL bring you as much joy for driving as mine
Old 06-07-2009, 03:46 AM
2013 RL or bust

65+ to 25-30mph turns are what makes our RL remarkable.... let go the gas a bit before you engage the turn..... you'll c the torque meter turn our RL into a rear wheel drive than just turn the steering to match the curve..... if no cars in front of you, give it more power watch all 4 wheels grab the road accordingly and leave the rest to our RL.... as you get more use to RL, i'm gonna quote Tampa, your RL will whisper to you 'bet u didn't know i can do that' instead of 'i can do it! i can do it!'.... May your RL bring you as much joy for driving as mine
Right on the money.

This is what will always send an oh so very comfortable chill down my spine and a feeling of pure joy... Well, until I can get another four-door luxury sedan for under 50 grand that will do the same.. with the same options. Wait, that's tough so I'll take a coupe and new Audi S5.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:44 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 20,014 Likes on 14,518 Posts
Originally Posted by b0n3
The RL is the type of car that attracts all kinds of wanna-bees .. I don't bother racing TLs, but they all seem to want to.
Every once in a while I'll cruise by one doing 110mph (very rarely) .. but that's about it.
I feel like the RL is the "godfather" and the TLs are little soldiers .. no need for the godfather to partake in silly activities like racing a soldier .. no need because the godfather is already at the top .. TLs should pay more respect to this legend.
Ok "Godfather", Michael Corleone reporting for duty. Sure the RL is more expensive and has more creature comforts but for me, it's never been an option because the styling lacks something for me. It's just not aggressive enough or just looks too common to me. No offense and of course we all defend the car we have because it's the one we chose.

I don't bash other people for having a car other than mine though or try and make them feel lesser for having a different/cheaper car. Plus, I'm sure the SHAWD is amazing to drive, but a more experienced/better driver might have maneuvered that curve a little more gracefully in his TL and not ended up in the wall.

We can all agree though, if that sonofoabitch was so close you couldn't see bumper or lights especially at that speed...he got what was coming to him. Hopefully he'll have a bigger pecker in his next life.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:01 AM
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts
this isn't a TL bashing thread...I think it's the stupid driver bashing thread.

My 06 TL handled no worse than my RL, just have to drive it differently.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:47 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by 037

My 06 TL handled no worse than my RL, just have to drive it differently.

Indeed.

The point was about the RL exceeding the expectations of the chasing TL driver. I attempted to AVOID the situation by moving into the left lane of the two lane turn off. I am adamantly against street racing. But he chose to tail me and switch lanes to do so. Not my fault he assumed he could ride my tail through the sharp turn since I needed not to brake.

The RL is no sportscar. Nor have I ever found any car superior to all other cars. But some attributes please me more than other, and they need not be sporting attributes. I like the particular balance of luxury and sport the RL offers me (even better than my former TL). There are plenty of cars that can surpass the RLs handling (the TL in many cases), but it may be surprising to some what the RLs capabilities can be.

I do NOT recommend tossing the RL (or any car) into turns you are unfamiliar with. If you read the opening sentences of the original post I stated this was a turn I navigate daily, and over time, have exercised the SHAWD handling to discover how remarkable a heavy sedan can not only arc through, but actually power through the turn. But I would never throw my RL into an unknown turn at limits I have not experienced...I love my RL too much! I do, however, take some comfort that in an emergency maneuver, the SHAWD will give me some added security.

As 037 stated, the intent of the post was not to play king of the automotive hill, but instead to animate 'do not underestimate the capabilities of the RL'.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:03 PM
is out, so the

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143
Ok "Godfather", Michael Corleone reporting for duty. Sure the RL is more expensive and has more creature comforts but for me, it's never been an option because the styling lacks something for me. It's just not aggressive enough or just looks too common to me. No offense and of course we all defend the car we have because it's the one we chose.

I don't bash other people for having a car other than mine though or try and make them feel lesser for having a different/cheaper car. Plus, I'm sure the SHAWD is amazing to drive, but a more experienced/better driver might have maneuvered that curve a little more gracefully in his TL and not ended up in the wall.

We can all agree though, if that sonofoabitch was so close you couldn't see bumper or lights especially at that speed...he got what was coming to him. Hopefully he'll have a bigger pecker in his next life.
I have to disagree on that one. Sure, the RL is a bigger car. Which sometimes, bigger = less sporty.

I love the design of both the TL and RL. I think even with the added A-Spec kit to the TL, it still doesn't look mean. Maybe sportier, but it doesn't look like it has the "attitude" to back it up. A stock RL front looks mean even without the A-Spec kit. Adding the A-Spec kit to the RL gives it more "attitude."

I believe part of why the TL doesn't look mean is because of the headlights. Headlights are really the stars of the front any car. They are just "wedgy" and unaggressive. The RL's, on the other hand, are flared and very sporty. With the added A-Spec kit, the RL is transformed into a beastly-looking car. Although I love the RL, I still love my TL-S for its own traits.

I'd take an RL over a M35/45, GS350/430, LS460, 5-Series, E-Class, or any other car. And maybe when my TL-S gives up on me, (or I give up on it) I will have a RL.

Another reason I like the RL is because of its secretivity. There has NOT been once a RL didn't pass by and I didn't stare. It's the perfect asassin car. Its silent, quick, tidy in its movements, and very sleek. You didn't even see it coming till it was too late.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by 037
Indeed. Never drive above your capabilities and you'll generally be OK.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:54 AM
wat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm afraid to take my RL fast into corners. It's so huge and heavy. Most of the time I don't even want to drive it fast.

My Subaru handled like it was on rails; I don't think there's anyway the RL could compete in the handling department. Then again, I had close to $2k in suspension mods.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:03 AM
Instructor

Indeed. Never drive above your capabilities and you'll generally be OK.
I agree, don't overdrive your own capabilities. If someone is going to try some aggressive moves, do it in a safe environment. But that is hard to come by if you don't live near a track. I try not to street race with anybody where I'm at. I have gotten over this years ago when I had a Honda Prelude. These days, I have a family to take care of and a daughter to watch growing up.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:09 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

This link will show the turn on Google Maps (hopefully it will work).

You can pan around and see the exit ramp turn from the expressway amoungst all the road destruction.

I pass a car that has become affectionate to the retaining wall at least once a week. Just take a look at the guard rail that leads into it.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=...12,321,,0,9.11

Almost feels like a video game!
Old 06-08-2009, 11:36 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TampaRL
This link will show the turn on Google Maps (hopefully it will work).

You can pan around and see the exit ramp turn from the expressway amoungst all the road destruction.

I pass a car that has become affectionate to the retaining wall at least once a week. Just take a look at the guard rail that leads into it.

Almost feels like a video game!
I see part of the guard rail has been replaced recently...
Old 06-08-2009, 03:25 PM
Burning Brakes

hehehe.... and this is the part of the road that i was talking about when that idiot drove a corolla into the wall trying to follow me:P

with RL, i can take this turn about 60+ mph comfortably..... than again I took this path everyday and know the limit
Old 06-08-2009, 04:01 PM
Safety Car

hehehe.... and this is the part of the road that i was talking about when that idiot drove a corolla into the wall trying to follow me:P

with RL, i can take this turn about 60+ mph comfortably..... than again I took this path everyday and know the limit
man...I'm glad no one follows me as something like that I'd be doing at least 80 in...
Old 06-08-2009, 05:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 037
man...I'm glad no one follows me as something like that I'd be doing at least 80 in...

ooops.... wrong link..... this is the correct one.... and it is very disturbing to imagine someone trying to follow RL into this turn and flip off the ramp and fly over the traffic below

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=zh-TW...12,314.47,,0,5
Old 06-08-2009, 05:58 PM
Instructor

ooops.... wrong link..... this is the correct one.... and it is very disturbing to imagine someone trying to follow RL into this turn and flip off the ramp and fly over the traffic below

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=zh-TW...12,314.47,,0,5
By the looks of the cement barriers, there has been a lot of cars hitting the barriers...
Old 06-08-2009, 06:23 PM

I was really only aiming my comment at the guy I quoted. Everyone else was cool. I think I've been on that turn too...my sister used to live in St. Pete and we went to Ybor city (spelling?) a few times and Busch gardens and I remember taking streets near the airport and there being a huge curve. It's really nice up there.

And yeah, maybe I've never just given the RL a chance or taken a good look at it. I guess I was just "grabbed" by the TL's looks right off the bat and never took the time to appreciate all the RL brings to the table. Either way, great cars!
Old 06-08-2009, 07:33 PM
rtr
RL owner

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
yea that is very funny!!! and the google map thing is even more funny
Old 06-08-2009, 07:53 PM
Safety Car

ok...picture this right line curving right, then a lane branches off left and merges into 1 lane right before BQE. I was doing that at 80, the lane was empty, and when merging I passed 3 or 4 cars, first of which being a minivan. One of them was a cop who pulled me over for "blowing his doors off". Walked away after taking a breathalyzer and explained that I was coming from a crappy movie...

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=4...84.96,,0,15.18
Old 06-08-2009, 11:33 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 037
ok...picture this right line curving right, then a lane branches off left and merges into 1 lane right before BQE. I was doing that at 80, the lane was empty, and when merging I passed 3 or 4 cars, first of which being a minivan. One of them was a cop who pulled me over for "blowing his doors off". Walked away after taking a breathalyzer and explained that I was coming from a crappy movie...

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=4...84.96,,0,15.18
The movie that bad? I probably would've done the same.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:06 AM
2013 RL or bust

It's on! TL vs. RL thread!

Wow, from lookin at the google maps of the TL crash site, courtesy of our RL, I'd say the guy is obviously just an idiot...

I would take this ramp at close to 70mph tho.... Doesn't seem too crazy.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:38 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Heres my "handling" exit. It's the single lane turn off (right), and there are NO guardrails to keep you from going down into a pond now (trees have been removed since google maps shot these).. B I G tight Loop. It's also VERY "Hoppy" all around. Its a 30 mph'r too. Gotta watch coming down from 65-70.

http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&hl=e...37.05,,0,23.39

Always has been my favorite set of turns, at least in my RX.

Last edited by woodek; 06-09-2009 at 02:40 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by woodek
Heres my "handling" exit. It's the single lane turn off (right), and there are NO guardrails to keep you from going down into a pond now (trees have been removed since google maps shot these).. B I G tight Loop. It's also VERY "Hoppy" all around. Its a 30 mph'r too. Gotta watch coming down from 65-70.

http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&hl=e...37.05,,0,23.39

Always has been my favorite set of turns, at least in my RX.
central Florida just got bunch of tough off ramps (I think they are aimed to get the un-suspecting tourests)..... have u tried the I-4 / 192 off ramp (one of the way to go to Disney World / celebration)? my brother used to live around that area and we always c some nice sports cars ended up in the ditch (3000GTs, 300ZX, Vette, etc. back in the old days).....
Old 06-09-2009, 07:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Here's my high-speed handling exit....I-77 south ramp to I-480 east in Independence, OH. This is where I do my high speed turns. Speed limit is 40 mph. In the RL, the fastest was 82 mph, I had 4 bars on the outside rear wheel, and I was scared spitless. Most of the time, with no traffic, I did 65-70 and the RL was totally stable.

In my V, I'm working my way up to 75 in that curve.

Here we are going under I-77.
Under the bridge--click

And here's the main body of the curve. Brake lights here are a sign of fear!
Steeper curve
Old 06-09-2009, 07:05 PM
Safety Car

wow...Bob...you really are pushing it there, I gotta come out to try that one, lol
Old 06-09-2009, 11:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Here's my high-speed handling exit....I-77 south ramp to I-480 east in Independence, OH. This is where I do my high speed turns. Speed limit is 40 mph. In the RL, the fastest was 82 mph, I had 4 bars on the outside rear wheel, and I was scared spitless. Most of the time, with no traffic, I did 65-70 and the RL was totally stable.

In my V, I'm working my way up to 75 in that curve.

Here we are going under I-77.
Under the bridge--click

And here's the main body of the curve. Brake lights here are a sign of fear!
Steeper curve
that looks like a fun curve (need more banking, than you prob. can take that even faster)..... why can't they have track like that to drive just for fun and no traffic.....
Old 06-10-2009, 10:49 PM
rtr
RL owner

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
wer you in auto or manuel mode? That sounds fun!
Old 06-11-2009, 06:35 AM
2005 Acura RL ASpec

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by black label
I know my car is faster in a straight line, but I'm smart enough not to try to chase an RL through a corner. SHAWD vs. Front drive with LSD, not a fair fight.

Isn't there a line from Forest Gump about this?
WHAATTT?????? Does someone second this? Can a TL really be faster than an RL?
Old 06-11-2009, 07:17 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by triniexr
WHAATTT?????? Does someone second this? Can a TL really be faster than an RL?
06 TL Auto is slower, by far, than 09 RL from personal experience
Old 06-17-2009, 03:34 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
This was a fun thread to read but it made realize what a wimp I am. I drive like Grandpa and never had the rl above 80. Nice to to know what my baby is capable of.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:12 PM
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asPpa51ZL80

woo! go SH-AWD
Old 06-17-2009, 06:25 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Excellent video and a great find. Thanks Sleepinxlionhart.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:57 PM
Safety Car

seems to me like the credit should go to the stability control half the time, like the mid corner sand slip...I've tried it my self and unless the stability is turned off...that's what will save your @$$ not Sh-AWD
Old 06-17-2009, 08:37 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

VSA works in concert with SHAWD, but in opposing abilities.

SHAWD minimises understeer and plow by over torquing the outer rear wheel along with dynamic torque distribution. If traction allows the rear of the car to step into oversteer, VSA can dynamically brake to tuck it back into place WHILE the SHAWD may still add torque to the wheels with traction. Further SHAWD can dynamically administer torque FASTER than VSA can administer brake torqu. VSA is also dependent on the SHAWD yaw control to utilize braking and SHAWD throttle controls seamlessly.

They are opposing force controls working together for optimum balance. VSA retards oversteer and SHAWD minimizes understeer while allowing the RL to power through turns even IF VSA is called upon.

No car is unfallible. But with out SHAWD, VSA would minimize oversteer of a car traveling through the same conditions, much slower.

Credit is due to both systems.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
At least now I know my RL can avoid plastic balls thrown on the road with such precision.

But really, SH-AWD is a superior system! I am amazed how nimble & fluid our RL is (for being almost 4000lbs) during traffic maneuvering. I am not a engineer so I don’t totally understand how the RL ticks, but whatever phenomenon that is happening inside the sedan, it is working! I just can’t wait to kick off the snowboard season with a drive up to Vail/Winter park in SH-AWD RL!
Old 06-17-2009, 11:31 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
so does the RL handle better than a TL?

how about RL vs TL-S

how about RL w aspec vs TL or TL-S?

is the RL with aspec as firm/rough riding as a stock TL-S? i recedntly drove a TL-S and then a 4G TL base - the base 4G TL felt really soft/squishy compared to the TL-S. the TL-S was really firm - VERY tight ride.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:51 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

I don't think there is a totalitarian answer to this.

There attributes where the TL handles better and areas where the RL performs better. And what is appealing to you as handling better may not be the same to another.

In my personal opinion of 'handling' an overly tight ride is too harsh for my 'handling' expectations. Handling does not necessarily mean driving a race car to work everyday. Handling could also mean a smooth controlled, comfortable ride to many people.

I do not think the RL was built to be the best handling vehicle on the road. There are many attributes of the RL that are desired by many drivers which would compromise ultimate handling.

You should drive all the models and variants that you are considering. I think the key is finding the balance of what appeals to you.

Originally Posted by 23109VC
so does the RL handle better than a TL?

how about RL vs TL-S

how about RL w aspec vs TL or TL-S?

is the RL with aspec as firm/rough riding as a stock TL-S? i recedntly drove a TL-S and then a 4G TL base - the base 4G TL felt really soft/squishy compared to the TL-S. the TL-S was really firm - VERY tight ride.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TampaRL
I don't think there is a totalitarian answer to this.

There attributes where the TL handles better and areas where the RL performs better. And what is appealing to you as handling better may not be the same to another.

In my personal opinion of 'handling' an overly tight ride is too harsh for my 'handling' expectations. Handling does not necessarily mean driving a race car to work everyday. Handling could also mean a smooth controlled, comfortable ride to many people.

I do not think the RL was built to be the best handling vehicle on the road. There are many attributes of the RL that are desired by many drivers which would compromise ultimate handling.

You should drive all the models and variants that you are considering. I think the key is finding the balance of what appeals to you.

^^ what he said and here is another video on SH-AWD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB9RkQf9a74
Old 06-18-2009, 12:43 PM

Ok. I give up...I want one.
An 09 TL in Mayan Bronze with that peanut butter colored leather.

Quick Reply: SH-AWD Sets a Bad Example?