Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nore03
That would be a pretty good commercial.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:06 PM
dmaster3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nore03
That would be a pretty good commercial.
Anyone know the head of marketing for Acura? I think we have a good idea here!
Old 12-24-2007, 12:00 AM
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
haha, it'd be nice if they did make a commercial like that. I can imagine it now...
Now lets hope Honda/Acura people are reading this post
Old 12-24-2007, 12:53 AM
Proboscis-free zone

Excuse me... but, judging by the lack of any discernible strategy for selling the flagship vehicle, it is pretty evident that the head of marketing for Acura is a moron. I doubt that good ideas get much play at Acura HQ. (It would be pretty darn funny though.)
Old 12-24-2007, 07:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Sigh...don't remind us about the marketing department. Lexus sure as heck knows about marketing, maybe Acura needs to steal one of their execs!
Old 12-24-2007, 10:26 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
Sigh...don't remind us about the marketing department. Lexus sure as heck knows about marketing, maybe Acura needs to steal one of their execs!
Indeed. I do like the subtle style of the Acura commercials, and some are very artful....but they do not sell cars or make brand image familiar. The Holiday Acura commercials are cute but almost identical to Audi's. I have to admit, I love Lexus Holiday commercials...it's like watching Rudolph every year.

Lexus gets it...they took the handling of the GS as a weakpoint and made a wonderful tongue in cheek commercial (in an sophiticated way) where the GS slides into place (mocking the Audi parking commercial). It always makes me laugh...and brilliant. Acura has no sense of humor, they must consider it too low brow.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TampaRL
Lexus gets it...they took the handling of the GS as a weakpoint and made a wonderful tongue in cheek commercial (in an sophiticated way) where the GS slides into place (mocking the Audi parking commercial). It always makes me laugh...and brilliant. Acura has no sense of humor, they must consider it too low brow.
You mean THIS ad? That's a good ad, with an excellent comeback at Audi for their ad poking fun at the LS. It would have been better had it slid into place between two Audi A4s, though--in the Audi ad, the Lex was prominently placed in front of the A4.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:17 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by neuronbob
You mean THIS ad? That's a good ad, with an excellent comeback at Audi for their ad poking fun at the LS. It would have been better had it slid into place between two Audi A4s, though--in the Audi ad, the Lex was prominently placed in front of the A4.
Exactly! Love that advert.

"Beneath it's dignity..."
"Other compnaies may encourage such behavior..."
"Just because you can does not mean you should..."

So poignant.
Old 12-25-2007, 02:56 PM
White and Nerdy

First off, Happy Holidays!!!

I agree with the above. I also got ticked that Ford has some good, informative commercials about their voice command system. Compared to the one Acura had out briefly a few years back, Ford's ad is much more informative and appealing. Sad that Acura had the same tech out years ago but couldn't get the message out nearly as well.

I really think most of Acura's problem is its marketing and advertising. I said it before, and I know lots of you have as well - they could be paying us here at Acurazine less money to do their ads than they are currently paying the bozos that run their marketing and advertising and sell alot more cars.
Old 12-25-2007, 07:17 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by Godwhacker
First off, Happy Holidays!!!

I agree with the above. I also got ticked that Ford has some good, informative commercials about their voice command system. Compared to the one Acura had out briefly a few years back, Ford's ad is much more informative and appealing. Sad that Acura had the same tech out years ago but couldn't get the message out nearly as well.

I really think most of Acura's problem is its marketing and advertising. I said it before, and I know lots of you have as well - they could be paying us here at Acurazine less money to do their ads than they are currently paying the bozos that run their marketing and advertising and sell alot more cars.
Absolutely. I look at those Ford commercials and think what Acura COULD have done 4 years ago making an impression on consumers with this technology. Oy.

And Merry Christmas to you too Godwhacker....and your dead ancestors.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:37 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
You are correct about the marketing and advertising.

I was just at the San Diego Auto Show, and Acura's display was unexciting and unimaginative. They had two RLs there, a base and a technology package. The base car was a gold and the car on the stand was blue.

There was no explanation of SHAWD except for the blonde trying to hawk it.

The CTS was a good looking ride, but the Nissan GTR was one of the stars of the show for me.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:41 PM
7th Gear

Acura Marketing (or lack of it)

I am a marketing professional and I always wondered why Acura commercials never caught my attention (even though I have owned many Acura's). They seem to never spend a lot of money on each brand to reinforce the true performance potential of their cars. Their marketing department needs to grow some ***** and produce some exciting commercials specifically for the RL as the flagship product with the most awesome handling technology in the marketplace. This would drive people to the brand and showrooms.

One thing that I do know about Honda is that they typically reduce production runs rather than juice up marketing to drive sales.

This is what they ought to emulate in their advertising (OK, not quite so racy as that, but you get the picture...a few cuts of SHAWD in action would be great and may sell a few thousand more RLs)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpPr4rGTm8M
Old 12-30-2007, 07:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Chas2
You are correct about the marketing and advertising.

I was just at the San Diego Auto Show, and Acura's display was unexciting and unimaginative. They had two RLs there, a base and a technology package. The base car was a gold and the car on the stand was blue.

There was no explanation of SHAWD except for the blonde trying to hawk it.

The CTS was a good looking ride, but the Nissan GTR was one of the stars of the show for me.
I just got back from the San Diego Auto Show, and I couldn't agree with you more. The Acura display was PATHETIC, worse than last year's. They had seemingly acres of space and the cars were so spread out that you couldn't tell they were part of the same section. Extremely disappointing for a brand desperately trying to find itself.

People were all over the Lexus and BMW booths, while Infiniti and Acura were quite empty.

Still, for the out-the-door price I paid, I was hard-pressed to see a better value on the show floor. At list, then there are other cars that become somewhat more compelling.

Rob144
Old 12-30-2007, 08:04 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Acura needs to go on the road with a SHAWD Showdown! I can envision a track or closed course where Acura's SHAWD vehicles are showcased and camparison vehicles (RWD, FWD and AWD) are offered for comparisons to highlight SHAWD. Then media hype it, invite Acura owners to various locations and capture testimonials and expert driver opinions. Put it on camera for advertising sound bytes. This would not be much unlike the Ford adverts they did on the AWD Fusion vs Camry & Accord (even f they were not AWD competitors! ) But it got attention. Lexus, MB and BMW do driver showcases evn higher brow.

THEN, use those videos and testimonials in an AutoShow display / them on the virtues of SHAWD. Acura needs to be known for SHAWD as it intends to offer in all models. The best criticism Acura should get is 'why does model XXX' not have SHAWD? At least that would indicate SHAWD is on the public radar and it is linked to Acura.

In the mean time, competitors who dismissed SHAWD are copying it and with the brand cache they have proclaim it's virtues and win the customer base away from Acura. Acura needs to capture excitement for SHAWD before BMW, Audi and even Saab do it for them.

My other idea is Acura should have a 'classroom' type display where the tech features and NAVI can be featured, demo'd and educated to the consumers INSTEAD of razzle dazzle flashing lights in the Auto Show models. I saw person after person get in an RL an the Auto Show and could not figure a darn thing out. The bailed out of the car and balked at the sticker, mostly frustrated by the cars technology. Instead, Acura should demo how VR works, demo entering an address, demo Bluetooth integration, show the redundancy for the technopobes, show simple searched made with the NAVI, etc, etc. Have a disply of various model dashboards that people could sit behind and have an 'instructor' walk them through it. Produce a promotional DVD that highlghts these and offer at Auto Shows.

Impress them. Educate and demonstrate the technology to the mass consumer. Bring the engineering back into focus to appeal to drivers with highlighting SHAWD in real world representations and rely less on the artful but unimpressionalble advertisements Acura currently deploys.

But the current Acura displays are shameful. There is no longer excitement for the engineering nor any gee whiz for the technology. It was almost as if Acura themselevs did not really know what they have or how it applies to driving consumers.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Acura needs to go on the road with a SHAWD Showdown! I can envision a track or closed course where Acura's SHAWD vehicles are showcased and camparison vehicles (RWD, FWD and AWD) are offered for comparisons to highlight SHAWD. Then media hype it, invite Acura owners to various locations and capture testimonials and expert driver opinions. Put it on camera for advertising sound bytes. This would not be much unlike the Ford adverts they did on the AWD Fusion vs Camry & Accord (even f they were not AWD competitors! ) But it got attention. Lexus, MB and BMW do driver showcases evn higher brow.

THEN, use those videos and testimonials in an AutoShow display / them on the virtues of SHAWD. Acura needs to be known for SHAWD as it intends to offer in all models. The best criticism Acura should get is 'why does model XXX' not have SHAWD? At least that would indicate SHAWD is on the public radar and it is linked to Acura.

In the mean time, competitors who dismissed SHAWD are copying it and with the brand cache they have proclaim it's virtues and win the customer base away from Acura. Acura needs to capture excitement for SHAWD before BMW, Audi and even Saab do it for them.

My other idea is Acura should have a 'classroom' type display where the tech features and NAVI can be featured, demo'd and educated to the consumers INSTEAD of razzle dazzle flashing lights in the Auto Show models. I saw person after person get in an RL an the Auto Show and could not figure a darn thing out. The bailed out of the car and balked at the sticker, mostly frustrated by the cars technology. Instead, Acura should demo how VR works, demo entering an address, demo Bluetooth integration, show the redundancy for the technopobes, show simple searched made with the NAVI, etc, etc. Have a disply of various model dashboards that people could sit behind and have an 'instructor' walk them through it. Produce a promotional DVD that highlghts these and offer at Auto Shows.

Impress them. Educate and demonstrate the technology to the mass consumer. Bring the engineering back into focus to appeal to drivers with highlighting SHAWD in real world representations and rely less on the artful but unimpressionalble advertisements Acura currently deploys.

But the current Acura displays are shameful. There is no longer excitement for the engineering nor any gee whiz for the technology. It was almost as if Acura themselevs did not really know what they have or how it applies to driving consumers.
I think they think its too much work to educate the consumer. Acura has literally lost the lead with SH-AWD, and their edge. They've already ceded VR to the Ford Focus as far as I'm concerned.

If nothing else, they should have been pushing the MDX like gangbusters -- its a very competitive SUV at a reasonable price. Every empty space in their floor space should have had a car. At best it was 40% occupied.

At the show, I overhead someone telling their girlfriend about the brand progression in this fashion: "You have Acura, then Honda..." I'm pretty sure he wasn't going alphabetically.

It was just a sad reminder that Acura has lost its way. They have no brand awareness....the brand is what the customer thinks it is - not what the marketeers wish it to be. Acura is still a blank slate, getting ever more blank with each passing day.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:48 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
So sad, but true.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:04 PM
Race Director

Wow I wonder if that TL is at the dealer test driving an RL now but the important thing is that everyone is alright.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:48 AM
Racer

Can anyone recall their salesperson knowing anything about SH-AWD or explaining it to them? Probably not. I know mine didn't say a word about it. Nor did he explain that you should power-through turns to get the most excitement out of the system. While SH-AWD does improve handling during normal driving situations, it's not remarkable unless you know how to use it.

While I agree that Acura should be getting the word out through ads and auto-shows, if the salespeople knew more about it, they would be able to sell it.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:26 AM
Senior Moderator

My salesman didn't say anything about SH-AWD, either, but he knew I had already done my research and so didn't have to.

For a novice, walk-in buyer, I would agree that the salesperson would need to know about the benefits of SH-AWD in the dry.

However, it's still on Acura itself to get the word out about SH-AWD. I read a lot of FUD on other boards about SH-AWD, mostly centering around how it, like other AWD systems, would be only useful in inclement weather and therefore useless in a desert climate, for example. The only place Acura brings their SH-AWD display as far as car shows go is to Detroit and a couple of other big ones. Not very smart in my opinion.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:38 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The dealers are generally useless sales drone. This is true of auto sales people across the industry. Spend an hour on a site like this and you'll be better informed than 95% of the sales morons out there. The general public is pretty stupid so as long as these guys can throw around a few words or acronyms that most people know nothing about, they give the impression that they actually know a damn thing about the thing they're trying to get your thousands of dollars for.

It's embarrassingly easy to trip those guys up though.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:54 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

I agree that the sales representatives are inconsistent and need to better detail SHAWD, the brand and models. But salesreps do not work for Acura, they work for the dealership.

But unless Acura gets people aware of SHAWD (assuming all models eventually have it or it is optional), people won't even show up in the dealerships. Car buying habits are less personal as so much information is available online and various media sources.

If people do not go to the dealership, it doesn't matter how informed the salesreps are.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:07 AM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Car salesman is not usually plan A in career expectations. Occasionaly, you will meet a good, enthusiastic and knowledgeable one but those are few, for most they might as well be selling soda. Even worse than the salespersons are the dealers themselves most have little if any interest in the product their expectation is to sell and not to take care of the customer.
Personally, contrary to most people, I wouldn't mind getting honda or acura part time salesman job when I retire (if I ever get to). I'm pretty sure I won't need the money so there certainly won't be any job pressure or sales stress, just a simple job of talking cars and getting people a new set of wheels. It is interesting that although most people hate the buying expirience, getting a new car is one of the most rewarding expiriences they have!
Old 04-29-2008, 05:36 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TL_Captain
I hate people who tailgate others. Hope that moron learned his lesson.
I couldn't agree more.

At the same time, whenever I have someone tailgating me, I shiftly change my lane to yield. For all I know, that driver may have important, perhaps critical appointment to meet. On that same note, when I am in a hurry, I find those people who do not yield extremely annoying and selfish. Sure they may be driving the speed limit. Does it hurt them so much to yield?

"I am driving my speed limit and no way I am yielding to this tailging as*hole".

Well, that person (tailgating) could be in any type of emergency situation and one selfishness could have unintentially affected the situation even worse. Because there are times when a few minutes does and can make a difference.

All these crazy talks about road rage in recent years. I honestly believe that if people practiced just a little bit of decency and yield at times, it would go a LONG way in solving road rage problems. If anyone does not see it, I am sorry, no offense, but you are contributing to road rage with "I am driving speed limit, I am sticking to fast lane, so back off" attitude either you like it or not.

Oh yeah...that TL, sounds like he got what deserved.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:10 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Your right. When I was younger I used to get very pissed when people tailgated me. I did all sorts of things that I'm embarrassed to admit now. The years have taught me that most times someone tailgating probably is in a hurry for good reasons. Not that their right for tailgating, but just move over and let them pass. For all you know they just got a call that their daughter was in a car accident and is in the hospital. Even if it's a simple as being late for work. Yielding is the better course of action.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:13 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
Your right. When I was younger I used to get very pissed when people tailgated me. I did all sorts of things that I'm embarrassed to admit now. The years have taught me that most times someone tailgating probably is in a hurry for good reasons. Not that their right for tailgating, but just move over and let them pass. For all you know they just got a call that their daughter was in a car accident and is in the hospital. Even if it's a simple as being late for work. Yielding is the better course of action.
Absolutely agreed. Once in awhile when I am running late for whatever reason it is much appreciated when people yield to faster vehicles. In most cases though I'm returning the favor and yielding for others whether I'm going 65mph or 80mph. Common courtesy I think, and ultimately probably safer in the long term. (minus the danger of excessive speed of course!!)

The original story I think highlights a number of things we see and experience everyday, people tailgating unnecessarily, especially when there is nowhere for a vehicle to yield, poor driving ability, and most of all, the ability of a 4000lb car with stock Michelin tires to power through a turn with the aid of SH-AWD, outperforming a lighter seemingly more agile car with more aggresive profile tires.

And of course I also agree knowing how to use SH-AWD is important too. It doesn't bend the laws of physics, scrubbing off needed ingress speed so that you can get back on the gas in the turn to take advantage of the system. I see most people riding the brakes through the entire turn, defeating the advantage of the system. Glad everyone was OK!!
Old 04-29-2008, 01:22 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

A FWD car can do as well as an AWD car if it's tuned right and driven right... obviously that guy had neither on his side. If it was a base TL I don't believe he has a Limited Slip which will kill a FWD car in a turn. It was a good story and good of you to go back to check on him. There is a very sharp turn on the highway off ramp near me that I have taken at very high rates of speed with no troubles... but I have better tires and an LSD. The RL is a nice handling vehicle.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:00 AM
3.2 VTEC

this is an old ass thread as i see...but from the story...the driver obviously didn't know how to drive....he went in that turn with a higher speed than the RL and therefore understeered, what does it matter what drive the car is when it's in a turn? unless you are accelerating through the turn it makes no difference....the TL driver probably had VSA on and that applied the brakes and caused him to understeer, TL is generally a lighter car and would do better in corners than the heavier RL, but the RL has better stability control because of the SH-AWD...all the TL needed to do is turn off the damn VSA, that thing causes a lot of understeer where it isn't due, i know from experience.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:48 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Here you are psheu....

Welcome to the revival.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts
Here you are psheu....

Welcome to the revival.
Thx Tampa.... this is my all time favorite article.... and the funny thing is, here in S. FL. a Toyota Corolla tried to do the same when I was driving my TL.... it was the 595/Turnpike connection (a close to 90 degree turn).... I was going ~40-50 taking the curve..... in my rearview mirror, I saw this corolla doing 60-70 taking the save curve trying to catch up to me.... first i heard, tire sqeak then that dude fish tailed, ended up spinning 360 X2 and headed straight into the concrete wall and there was a FHP parked not far down the road.... than I use the bluetooth to called my friend who happened to drive the same kinda Corolla not to pull that kinda idiotic move.... and that is my TL, if that dude tried to catch up to our RL in the curve, he'll end up flying off the ramp and landed upside down
Old 06-03-2009, 07:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Still one of my favorite threads here at AZ. LOL!

It's so sad that many of the comments about Acura losing the race on vector-based AWD and voice recognition due to lack of marketing are still true.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:37 AM
Instructor

The RL is the type of car that attracts all kinds of wanna-bees .. I don't bother racing TLs, but they all seem to want to.
Every once in a while I'll cruise by one doing 110mph (very rarely) .. but that's about it.
I feel like the RL is the "godfather" and the TLs are little soldiers .. no need for the godfather to partake in silly activities like racing a soldier .. no need because the godfather is already at the top .. TLs should pay more respect to this legend.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Well said ..... you can't get any better than RL.... that's why ppl tried to use our car as a bench mark to prove that their car can in some way match up to ours..... as owner of both TL and RL, I love both cars, and both cars are special in their own way
Old 06-04-2009, 06:25 PM
2013 RL or bust

TampaRL - GREAT STORY! THIS is what I wait to happen to ME when chugging through corners and turns and highway ramps! That must have been HILARIOUS looking at the pure EMBARASSSMENT on the face of Mr. TL!

Okay, see you guys later, gonna go pick up dinner before the NBA Finals... Hopefully I get a car behind me thinking he can move as effortlessly as the RL does through corners! Wow, great thread!!!

RL OWNERS JEJOICE!..... FTMFW!!

Last edited by afjock21; 06-04-2009 at 06:27 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:32 PM
Race Director

Received 596 Likes on 430 Posts
haha nice read
Old 06-05-2009, 07:54 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Does anyone downshift (man.) before turns? I've just started downshifting manually in my RL to slow into turns, and to not hit the brakes going in, but have noticed it does have its limits. It never goes quite low enough. Still, I love having a little more control than my CL. Just not as responsive as my RX. Hard downshifting in turns is a NO NO! (at least in a true manual).

At least while driving my Rx7: "Brake lights show FEAR".

I rarely use em.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:51 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Great story!

Jackass got what was coming to him and I feel bad for the TL but that didn't stop me from bursting out laughing. I had a GTI do that to me one night on a straightaway. I handed him his ass in the corners.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:34 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Oh and about the RLs marketing......Found this tonight: From Edmunds.

"As a flagship luxury sedan, the Acura RL has long been a bit of an oddity. It's never been notably large or roomy, and it's always had a V6 engine as its sole engine choice. Nor has the RL been a standout in terms of style or design. It's almost as if Acura purposely meant for its RL to remain anonymous. As such, the RL has never attained much popularity and typically lives in the shadow of more prestigious makes and well-known models.". Just a FYIs.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:15 PM
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by woodek
Does anyone downshift (man.) before turns? I've just started downshifting manually in my RL to slow into turns, and to not hit the brakes going in, but have noticed it does have its limits. It never goes quite low enough. Still, I love having a little more control than my CL. Just not as responsive as my RX. Hard downshifting in turns is a NO NO! (at least in a true manual).

I rarely use em.
since we're on the topic of RX7...some youngling was revving up his manual at a stop light...

I don't know how surprised he was when I left em in the dust...but I was more surprised that he was using the opposite lane of ocean pkway to try to keep up with me...poor sport right there.

I figured it ain't worth my time getting em or anyone else killed by his stupidity...

Moral of the story? RX7 has nothing on the RL...and don't be stupid.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by woodek

I rarely use em.
Downshift? Why? you are suppose to power through the turn and watch that outer rear wheel torque meter go up a few notch and the RL hug the curves like a lover.... and have a big smile on your face while doing it....

IMHO, I don't think Rx7 is in the same class and have the ability to do the same as RL.....
Old 06-06-2009, 10:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by psheu
Downshift? Why? you are suppose to power through the turn and watch that outer rear wheel torque meter go up a few notch and the RL hug the curves like a lover.... and have a big smile on your face while doing it....
True! I kinda miss that about the RL. I think the most bars I got on the outer rear wheel was four, and I was scared spitless when I did it.

IMHO, I don't think Rx7 is in the same class and have the ability to do the same as RL.....
Also true.

Quick Reply: SH-AWD Sets a Bad Example?